• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The US 2012 Elections Thread / American Politics Discussion

lx_theo

Game Developer
Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Vetoed.

The governor thought this was stupid. So did I. I like her line: "I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for president of the greatest and most powerful nation on earth to submit their 'early baptismal circumcision certificates' among other records to the Arizona secretary of state." Neither did I, Jan, but people are more paranoid than I initially thought.

Hmmm.... Good, was a pointless bill anyways.

Adn that article leads me to believe that it only included baptismal documents out of religious ones possible. Typical Arizona.

Years
  • They could try to, but then 10th Amendment lawsuits would flow from more states than the health care lawsuits. This would be a tough one for the feds to justify, since it is so rooted in our legal traditions that ballot access is regulated at the state level. The courts balance the supremacy issue with the 10th Amendment issue to make their decisions. Everything the courts do is a balancing act, pretty much.

And, P.S.
    The majority of the Supreme Court are Republican appointees.

The court may try to balance the 10th with the Supremacy clause, but that depends on the current court. The Warren Court, being more liberal, would favor federal power. The current court of buffoons being the Roberts Court would obviously favor state rights. So in no way is that a concrete fact. Judicial interpretation varies on the court, you know that.

Scalito (both of them) are some of the most corrupted and inherently biased judges we've ever had, btw. ;) Scalia attended and spoke at a Tea Party rally not to long ago. Roberts is a GOP tool, look at McCain-Feingold. Not that the Rehnquist court was any better.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

The court may try to balance the 10th with the Supremacy clause, but that depends on the current court. The Warren Court, being more liberal, would favor federal power. The current court of buffoons being the Roberts Court would obviously favor state rights. So in no way is that a concrete fact. Judicial interpretation varies on the court, you know that.

Scalito (both of them) are some of the most corrupted and inherently biased judges we've ever had, btw. ;) Scalia attended and spoke at a Tea Party rally not to long ago. Roberts is a GOP tool, look at McCain-Feingold. Not that the Rehnquist court was any better.

The Roberts Court has been rather progressive, actually. They've stood up for civil rights/liberties in the landmark cases District of Columbia v. Heller, McDonald v. City of Chicago, and the recent Phelps case. I would consider the Warren Court progressive as well, not liberal.

I am well aware that politics does make its way into the Supreme Court. That's why I added that P.S. in an earlier post pointing out the fact that the Obama Administration may have a hard time in front of a Court that is dominated by Republican appointees.

Buggyo

I read the news today, oh boy.
    Years
  • Vetoed.

The governor thought this was stupid. So did I. I like her line: "I never imagined being presented with a bill that could require candidates for president of the greatest and most powerful nation on earth to submit their 'early baptismal circumcision certificates' among other records to the Arizona secretary of state." Neither did I, Jan, but people are more paranoid than I initially thought.
    Whee. Surprisingly, she also vetoed a bill that would allow guns on college campuses.
    She's on a roll!

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    She's definitely vetoing up a storm. Not sure I agree with that particular veto, but that's a story for another time.

I don't agree with it either. Maybe her true colors are coming out now that she's term-limited.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Well, I'm glad that lady had some political sense. Now we only have to hope nobody tries to replicate it somewhere witha Tea Party-sided Governor.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well, I'm glad that lady had some political sense. Now we only have to hope nobody tries to replicate it somewhere witha Tea Party-sided Governor.

Governor Brewer have FOX News a warning with that veto. When a FOX reporter asked if she's afraid her veto would be overridden, she said that the Arizona Legislature "definitely has the numbers" to do it.

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
  • I have a friend who was born outside the US, but came there when she was a baby. She is 100 percent American, was raised that way, and I feel that if the candidate considers themselves American they can run for presidency.

And as for the Obama thing, the born in Kenya thing is bull IMO. I would not have a problem if he was born in Kenya, but I don't believe a word of it.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I have a friend who was born outside the US, but came there when she was a baby. She is 100 percent American, was raised that way, and I feel that if the candidate considers themselves American they can run for presidency.

And as for the Obama thing, the born in Kenya thing is bull IMO. I would not have a problem if he was born in Kenya, but I don't believe a word of it.

From the Constitution:

"No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

Your friend could not be President, and neither could any other person who was not born in the United States.

Years
  • American Politics

Use this thread to discuss the American political system in its entirety, all the issues, all the parties, political figures, etc. If it has to do in any way with Politics, post it here. That way we will not have 6 threads on separate issues.

so,

IF THE THREAD IS ABOUT POLITICS, IT WILL BE MOVED HERE, FROM NOW ON.

The Trotsky

Wake and Bake
    Years
  • So, anyone have favorite Representatives or Senators? Also, how do you feel about your Congressman?

Unfortunately, my district is represented by Tim Murphy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Murphy_(congressman)

Yet, I did have the delight of having Tim come speak at my school yesterday. Naturally, when he brought up keeping the Bush tax cuts in place, we had to argue. He used the world's worst analogy, that being sharing grades being the same as taxing the rich to give to the poor. Words were exchanged, we debated, I won, and the whole thing ended in him using an ad hominem attack on me for having my parents help pay for my car, at which point I responded by saying that I would pay for my own, but I wasn't working on a Congressional salary. He ragequit. Ah well, such is life

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • I am not going to vote due to my political affiliation (COMMUNISM FOR THE WIN!), and therefore hating all of the candidates. Doesn't matter who wins. Either way, I'm royally screwed

Buggyo

I read the news today, oh boy.
    Years
  • So, anyone have favorite Representatives or Senators? Also, how do you feel about your Congressman?

Unfortunately, my district is represented by Tim Murphy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Murphy_(congressman)

Yet, I did have the delight of having Tim come speak at my school yesterday. Naturally, when he brought up keeping the Bush tax cuts in place, we had to argue. He used the world's worst analogy, that being sharing grades being the same as taxing the rich to give to the poor. Words were exchanged, we debated, I won, and the whole thing ended in him using an ad hominem attack on me for having my parents help pay for my car, at which point I responded by saying that I would pay for my own, but I wasn't working on a Congressional salary. He ragequit. Ah well, such is life

I'm represented by Thad.
    As far as Republicans go, he's pretty predictable/mild, but still not my cup of tea. Here's a choice quote: "For those people who believe America is the greatest threat to peace in the world, I ask them never to show their faces in public again."
    At least both of Michigan's senators are reasonable (and not Republican).

My favorite congressman is undoubtedly Dennis Kucinich, if only for the fact that he has to have guts to be as radical as he is.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    So, anyone have favorite Representatives or Senators? Also, how do you feel about your Congressman?

Here are my Reps:
    Senator Dianne Feinstein
    Senator Barbara Boxer
    Rep. Mike Honda (when at my mother's home)
    Rep. Wally Herger (while at university for 9 months out of the year)

I like Herger, but I could care less for the rest of them.

Years
  • Heck YES. I've been waiting for a year for this! :D Anyways THESE GUYS INSPIRED ME to love Economics. I won't deny it. <3 Anyways Hayek/Supply Side for Long term, Keynes/Demand Side for short term. JS. :D

Back