• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Vassa Region

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Sandeon: It seems to me almost you were trying to capture a Pokemon and get levels, but you just used a sly way of doing it. I'm not too keen on that, but I'm in a good mood so I'll just ignore it. The moves will remain the same as a wild Pokemon, mostly because you posted that when you went to battle.
    Congratulations, Ace grew to level 15. Oddish agrees to come with you, but what's this? After checking his Pokedex, Kitora finds that Oddish is rather weak. It's only level 7. (Oddish's info will be posted in the OOC)

Years
    The alarm went off somewhere above him and without hesitation Tyron's eyes shot wide open. It would be weak to remain half-asleep for a little while longer, and besides, he was so used to getting up at this time by now that he almost automatically did it. He always made sure there was something to wake him up, just in case. Wake up late and he'd have screwed up his whole day. He had rented one of the rooms provided by the Pokémon Center, but the room was too clean for him. Too comfortable. He had rested on the floor of the room instead of the bed, resisting his body's desire for comfort. He got up. His back was aching when he stood up, but he ignored it and went into the bathroom to shower and get ready to leave for the next town. His Pokémon were still in their Poké Balls from the Gym Battle the previous night, though they had been healed since then. The previous night he had increased the difficulty of his goals again. He figured he would do it after every gym badge - it would give him something to aim for, or more importantly it would make him better. He shaved the beard that was beginning to grow across his face and gathered his belongings into his bag to leave. He paid the nurse (a different one this time) as he walked out of the building and into the morning sun. Not many people were around this early in the morning. In a regular city the streetlights would have just turned off, however in Citrine the lights were on twenty-four seven so despite the time of day Tyron was still greeted with an incredibly bright blast to his eyes. He checked his watch. It was 6.24am. He made note of it and headed towards the nearby bus stop. He didn't know exactly where it went but the sign read "East-West Bus" so he assumed it would take him to the other end of town - exactly where he needed to go. According to the timetable, which sat in a glass box attached to the pole, the next bus was at half past six. He could wait.

Nobody else turned up at the sheltered bus stop in the six minutes that he was waiting, however when the bus arrived from the west of town it emptied. This was the final or first stop, depending on which way you were going. He had the bus to himself, for now. The bus driver was clearly tired and in a sharp voice said, "Ticket to the west side of town?" Tyron nodded, and the bus driver pulled a ticket from a pouch next to where he sat and put it through a machine, probably to validate it so it couldn't be used again and again. When it came back out, he snatched it from the machine. He passed the ticket to Tyron, who paid him in return and then walked off to find a seat. Noticing print on one of the windows, he sat midway down the bus. The emergency break-glass window was next to him. Should something happen he would be prepared. The bus passed by the next stop without stopping. Nobody was waiting there. Looking out the window, the buildings seemed to grow less industrial and more residential. People would most likely be travelling east, not west like he was now, to get to work. The bus trip would be quiet. He looked at his ticket, still in his right hand. It would work for two hours before he would have to buy a new one. By that time he would be well and truly into the nearby route. According to the map on his Pokédex, it was called Route 302. Tyron had guessed as much. The route numbers went up most likely in the order he would be travelling the routes. An hour went by on the bus. Few people got on and off, and by the time the vehicle had finished travelling down the straight east-west road Tyron and an elderly man were the only two people left on the bus. Being courteous, he let the old man walk off the bus first, then followed. He was at the edge of Citrine. The bus he had just exited did a u-turn and began driving back towards the east edge of town.

He released his Elekid first, and began walking. The electric type followed him loyally without a word. If the map on his Pokédex was to scale, then this wild area would take less time to travel across than Route 301 did. It wasn't necessarily a good thing, especially if he only encountered as many Pokémon this time around as he did last time. It gave him more time to train himself in the afternoon, but it also left his Pokémon a little less experienced than they could be. Whatever happened would happen, he knew. There was no point in trying to control something he couldn't possibly do. If he couldn't beat the next gym leader by the time he went to take him or her on, he would go back and train then. Experience came with time, not with repetitive workouts (whereas with his own training he was after strength, not experience). The lush greens of the grass and plants across this area of wilderness was a welcome change from the bright oranges and yellows of the previous city. It was good to be out away from civilisation again. According to his watch it was 8.05am. The last route took him almost six hours. He predicted this one would take about three and a half. Enough time to run into a few Pokémon. With his Pokédex, he checked to see whether his electric type Pokémon had learned any new moves. Low Kick, according to the device. That would definitely come in handy. Working in the Dojo in Saffron City, he knew all about Low Kick and the devastating effects it could have if used by an experienced fighter. Elekid would be that experienced fighter with time. Right now they had to find some enemies, though. Nearby a pink, sphere-shaped Pokémon ran around in zig-zags and figure-eights, playing alone. If it didn't want to attack, Tyron would leave it in peace, however if it became protective of its land or its safety, he would fight back. To most people it would be taboo to even think of harming an innocent, carefree Pokémon such as Iglybuff, however it was necessary for him to become stronger and he was certain it would recover from unconsciousness in due time. The Iglybuff turned to face Elekid as the two moved past where it played and opened its mouth.

"Thundershock," Tyron commanded hastily. He knew that "cute" wild Pokémon like this could often put opponent Pokémon to sleep by singing. He couldn't let that happen. Although Low Kick was the more effective move, Thundershock would delay the Sing attack, giving Elekid time to move closer to deliver a devastating blow. The tactic worked, and the Igglybuff shut its mouth as it fell over in pain from the electric shock. Elekid darted closer to the pink Pokémon. Even though Low Kick wouldn't be so effective against such a light target, it had a type-advantage and so it would still deal a massive amount of damage. "Low Kick," Tyron said, and the Elekid delivered the final blow like that. The Igglybuff was swept into the air by the swift kick, and as Elekid regained its posture the baby Pokémon hit the ground, unconscious. The battle was over so soon. Tyron pulled out Elekid's Poké Ball from his pocket and returned it. It's job was done. He looked at the fainted Pokémon. He didn't feel any remorse. If he had a revive on him he would have used it, however he didn't. There was no use dwelling on what he had already done. He would just continue to move towards his destination - Quarz Town. He turned to face the path ahead of him, however running in the opposite direction was a humanoid figure. Preoccupied with the battle, he hadn't noticed the person running towards him. As it grew closer, he realised it was an adolescent boy holding a Vulpix in his arms. The boy continued running. And running. When he grew close enough, he found himself too tired to move and ran straight into Tyron, who didn't flinch or even move.

"I'm sorry," the boy said, shaking his head. He was drenched in sweat. The day was warm and he had been running for a while. It was noticeable in his red face and wet clothes. The fox Pokémon in his hands didn't seem bothered by it - in fact, it was just about asleep. "You know there's a festival on in Quarz Town today? Starts at about midday. You should go!" It wasn't big news. Festivals didn't really appeal to Tyron. If he had the time for fun then he had time for increased training. "They say there's a special guest who's going to be there! No idea who it is, but there's heaps of fun things to do there!"

"Like what?" Tyron asked, his voice deep and intimidating.

"U-uh... LOTS of fun stuff!" the boy waved his arms around in the air excitedly, as if it would somehow make what he said a proper answer to the question. Of course, the boy did know the things that would be going on, however he was terrified of Tyron and also Boff didn't say what happens at the festival so I had to make up some way to get around it. In a rush, the boy hurried off towards Citrine, running with determination and now the added motivation of fear. Meanwhile, Tyron head off in the opposite direction, towards Quarz Town. Maybe this guest was somebody important that he should know. He would stick around. He just hoped that it wasn't Professor Elm or something.

sandeon

My Brand!
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2022
    Oddish looked up and nodded; smiling it stood up and jumped on my chest. I caught her and held her there, instantly she fell asleep. "Wow, tired huh?" I asked surprised. I took out Ace's pokeball and returned him. We started off toward the town. As I walked I allowed my mind to wander. <I wonder if there will be a theme to the next town.> I thought of the possibilities, then it hit me to use my new pokepod. I took it out of my pocket, being careful not to drop oddish. I was thankful that the device was touch screen. I touched the map button. A map of the region appeared and I clicked on Quartz town's icon. Then some text appeared:

Quartz Town: The first town traveled to by most trainers starting in the Vassa league. An annual Pokémon Parade is held in this town. No Gym is located in this town.

I wasn't sure whether to be happy or sad about the fact that there was no gym. On one hand I would be able to relax on the other I wouldn't get to battle for another badge. I exited the map option and looked at all the other little trinkets on the screen till I found one that I decided to click on, "Nickname finder". A menu of questions appeared, like some sort of a forum you would sign about yourself. The slots where: Species, Nature, Moves, and Level. I slipped the pokepod back into my pocket and grabbed my pokedex and was still careful not to drop oddish. I selected the Team option and my Pokémon's info appeared and I selected only oddish and mankey's stats. I memorized them and swapped for my pokepod again. I entered the stats for mankey and hit enter. Bash. I didn't like the name and was about to exit but then I decided to put in oddish's stats. Petal. I liked that one because it actual sounded like it would be good for this specific oddish. But I decided to think on it.

"Whoa!" someone rammed into me sending us both tumbling to the ground. I pushed him off me and stood up and yelled at him "What's your problem!?!" "Sorry," he said "I'm in a hurry." He continued. "And what's so important that you can't watch where you're going?" I snapped. He stared at me "The Pokémon Parade that's what!" he yelled letting some surprised frustration out. "Hey, why are you mad at me, you mowed me over." "You wouldn't get it., I've got to be going, sorry." He picked up his Pokémon and ran back into the woods. "Huh, the Pokémon parade sounds soon, you wanna go odd…" I looked around and saw oddish over at a patch of flowers and smelling them. "Wow… That device sure knows how to pick nicknames." Oddish looked over to me and ran over once she was sure the commotion was over. "Hey oddish, would you want a nickname?" oddish looked up at me as I picked her up, "Odd." She smiled as she nodded. "Do you like Petal?" she nodded again and situated herself in my arms and then closed her eyes and fell back asleep.

Then another kid came bursting through the trees and I put Petal in her pokeball to keep her from further harm. "Let me guess," I said "In a hurry for the Pokémon Parade?" "No!" he said as he looked at me with a duh look on his face, "I've got to train! And that's why I'm going to battle you, here and now!" I thought about it then opted not to, "Sorry, not in the mood." He looked at me with the same face as before, "Yeah right! Come on! Makuhita, let's go!" a small chubby Pokémon appeared, its eyes were closed and it was ready for battle. "Like I said, I'm not going to battle." I reminded him as I walked past him. I was almost to the town when I looked back again to see him following me. "Um, well, can…" he stuttered and breathed out, "Are you challenging the Gyms in Vassa?" "Yeah, why?" I asked interestedly. "Well I was wondering, can I come with you? It gets lonely out here, even with Makuhita." I was thinking the same thing, being out here was lonely. I smiled "Sure you can come!" he smiled, "And also, will you battle me later?" I shrugged and we walked toward Quartz town.

(Since I didn't include the boy's appearance here it is: He is short and wears a tan long sleeve shirt with a blue V coming from the armpits of the shirt. He has slightly baggy pants and a tan painter's hat with goggles lining the perimeter of the hat.)

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
    "I suppose I should name you, hm?" Jane said, sitting just outside of the Pokémon Center, enjoying the sun while stalling the challenging the Gym Leader part of her day. She had a strawberry/banana smoothie with her, which was still nice and cold as she had bought it a couple of minutes ago, and a certain snake sprawled over her feet, catching the sun that she loved.

Jane opened her laptop again and clicked on the email server. She hadn't had time to reply to Ty's message, and now was the time to do so. Her hand floated above the keyboard for a while as she thought of what to send him, but then her fingers started the frantic and automatic pressing of the keys as her brain formed the words in her mind, sending her fingers signals of where to pound.

Guten Mittag Ty,

Lucky for you that I'm starting to get a bit used to little Pyro, or I would have kicked your ass the moment I saw you. But he's not so bad I guess… He did kick that Squirtle's ass, but that's a story for another time. Anyway, while you were lounging on your fat ass, I was out catching myself my first Pokémon. That's right, I have another one now! Shower me with gold why don't you?
    Anyway, you need to hear the whole story.
    So, it was a beautiful midday, and me and Pyro were sunning outside the rest-zone at about the mid-point of the route… you know the one. Anyway, we were innocently lying there, while suddenly I feel this thing slithering across me, I look up and this creepy green snake was on top of me, hissing like a euphoric idiot. Naturally I had Pyro attack him, and I caught him, but afterward people kept telling me that it's weird that I have a green Ekans (For that's what it is). Is it weird? Maybe it's some sort of birth defect, it certainly explains the strange behavior. Certainly does. Anyway, she's a bit strange, but surely more intelligent than Pyro is, actually she's really intelligent, but doesn't always know what she wants. And she hates Pyro.
    Anyway, that's pretty much it. I kicked some *******'s ass (haha pun, sort of) today too, I have been very busy. I'm also challenging the Gym Leader in a moment, any comments or tips? Apparently he fights with Electric types, only the whole town is yellow. I feel like freaking Dorothy walking over the yellow brick road over here.

Auf Wiedersehen
    Jane

PS: OMG! Dean made a funny?! Hm, how about checking his face for seams where the aliens might have plastered it onto their screwed up faces. I bet he's actually reptilian, like that TV show. And he's come to take over our planet, in the form of Dean. But he's slipped up big time! Dean would never be funny, that was his mistake! We've got him where we want to Ty!

Seriously though, goodbye, and say hello to Mum.

That was that, email sent, and Jane closed Moon, putting him back in her bag and glanced over at the Ekans, who had closed her eyes in delight as the sun's rays warmed her scales. "How about Hydra? Pyro and Hydra? Sounds good to me." Ekans glanced over, hissed approvingly, and then went back to sunbathing.

"Okay guys!" Jane said sharply, jumping up and leaving a startled Hydra hissing agitatedly. "It's time to get to work, the mysterious Gym Leader awaits!"

Finding the Gym wasn't very hard, there were only bright orange signs everywhere. Seriously, she was getting enough of the colour scheme of this town, more than enough. The building was pretty big, that had to be said. And there was no mistaking what it was, for the big yellow letters that said 'Gym'. Jane entered the building and found herself in a lobby with the same lovely colour scheme. Another door and she was in… a black room.

"What the hell?!" Jane questioned aloud, and two loud claps resounded through the room. Suddenly bright TL lightes everywhere turned on, temporarily blinding Jane. Some ways in front of her sat a guy on a big chair, looking quite nonchalant.

"Why hello there, what can I do for you?"

"Seriously?" Jane said to herself, but loud enough for him to hear. "You were just sitting there waiting for someone to come in so you could clap on the lights? Do you do that every time? Pathetic!" Was Jane's opinion. "Nothing better to do than sitting there being theatrical. Anyway, where's the Gym Leader, I want a battle."

The man seemed shocked by her outburst and her boldness, but he recovered. "The leader is sitting right in front of you little girl! The name's Volkner, once Sinnoh's most celebrated Gym Leader, the best of the region!"

"Well there must have been a reason they downgraded you, from 8th to 1st…" Jane whistled. "That's quite a fall."

Another shocked look from Volkner before he recovered again. "You listen to me, I came here voluntarily because I wanted to see the rise of a new region! It has nothing to do with any downgrading! Anyway, prepare for a tough battle, you're going down!"

Jane snorted. "I honestly doubt that. Volunteered? Yeah right, you were simply losing your touch, old man."

Volkner, who was not an old man at all, came down with large steps to stand on the edge of a battlefield. Her theatrically released a Pokéball, throwing it up in the air as it spat out a Pikachu. "Bring it on, little girl."

"Oh, as you wish!" Jane took her spot on her side of the field and released Hydra, who hissed menacingly. A man came seemingly out of nowhere with two flags in his hands, assumingly to referee the match. "Challenger goes first," Jane said in a singsong voice. "Hydra start with a wrap!"

Volkner said nothing as Hydra slithered toward the Pikachu at a very fast pace and within the blink of an eye she was wrapped tightly around the Pikachu. Just as Jane was about to give Hydra another command, Volkner's voice boomed around the arena. "Pikachu, use Thundershock." The Pikachu yelled out as God knows how many volts seeped out of him and into Hydra.

Hydra immediately let go of the Pikachu and slithered away, shocked literally and figuratively. "Now, Pikachu, use Quick Attack." Pikachu was quick to follow and sped toward Hydra, hitting her right in the head. The Ekans' jaw smashed against the ground and Jane winced.

"Hydra!" Jane cried out, but the snake got up, nodded at her that she was fine, and turned toward the yellow rat. "Hydra, use leer and the poison sting!" Hydra glared at the Pikachu, who was caught in the stare. A shudder went through Pikachu as he got entirely intimidated by Hydra's bold stare. Slowly, as to not betray her move, Hydra opened her mouth, keeping eye contact with Pikachu, and then released a whole bunch of angry stingers at the rat. Pikachu cried out in pain as several latched onto his skin. He began to shudder violently which could only mean one thing, one of the stingers had released its poison.

"Pikachu, snap out of it and let's do this quickly. Use Thunder Bolt!" Pikachu released a whole bunch of electricity that travelled toward Hydra at an alarmingly quick rate. The snake tried to get away but the thunder was faster and she suffered damage again. But Pikachu shuddered again as another wave of poison-induced pain shot through him.

"Do you see now? I am far superior in my talents than you are!" Volkner taunted her. "Pikachu use Quick Attack again and then Thundershock!"

A snort came from Jane again. "You are way in over your head, boy, way over your head. Hydra, wait until the Pikachu is close and then wrap yourself around him!" Pikachu sped toward Hydra again, but the speedy snake had wrapped herself around the rat faster than the yellow thing's brain could have registered. The Pikachu released more electricity from its body, but this wave was considerably weaker than the last, it was running out of currents.

"Hold on Hydra!" Jane yelled at her Ekans, who tightened the hold she had on the Pikachu. More shudders went through the creature's body but Hydra held on, tightening her hold every second.

"Thunder Wave Pikachu!" Demanded Volkner. Pikachu let out a strange blue wave that petrified all of the muscles in Hydra's body. Not a smart idea. The current made most muscle's in Hydra's body clench up, leaving only the antagonists a little intact, but that meant that Hydra first stiffened, squeezing Pikachu harder, and then froze in that position. Pikachu had no way to go, and was going on his last straw. Suddenly a violent shiver went through him, worse than before, and the Pokémon went limb.

"Luck, pure luck. If Pikachu hadn't been poisoned…" but Shinx will teach you a lesson!" Volkner released a cub-like Pokémon that hissed at Hydra, who hissed right back.

"Yeah right, luck he says. I say you're just in denial. Hydra, start this with wrap and then quickly hit him with poison sting!" Hydra slithered toward the Shinx, and once again Volkner let it happen. Did he thing Jane was stupid? With one swift movement Hydra wrapped herself around the Shinx.

"Now charge and spark, shinx!" Volkner commanded, but Jane was way ahead of him.

"Hydra, fill him up with every stinger in your body!" Hydra opened her mouth and fired a whole assortment of spikes into Shinx just before said Shinx sent a fully charged spark at Hydra. The Ekans couldn't take any more and fainted on the spot, but Shinx's body made the infamous shudder as she the poison got to him. "Hydra, I'm sorry to sacrifice you like that," Jane told the snake before calling her back and sending out Pyro.

"This time I start things off!" Volkner said, sounding quite agitated with the newly poisoned Shinx, who shuddered again. "Shinx, use the tackle/spark combo!"

"If that's how you wanna roll, Pyro use every ADHD cell in your body and drive this thing mental." Pyro barked excitedly before jumping around. Shinx, meanwhile, enveloped his body in electricity and charged at Pyro, but the dog jumped to and fro in front of Shinx and the poor cub, confusing the hell out of it. The poor Shinx didn't know where to go!

"Concentrate, Shinx! He may be faster, but you are obviously smarter!" Came Volkner, managing to insult Pyro while encouraging Shinx. The cub concentrated hard on Pyro, waiting until he would find a pattern, or Pyro would get tired. Too bad for him, thought Jane, Pyro never gets tired, and he's not smart enough to devise patterns.

But then the Shinx finally seemed to find an opening. He darted forward, body engulfed in electricity, and tackle Houndour hard. Pyro whinen with pain as the currents along with the physical hit went through his body and he seemed to shake before getting up. Another shudder went through Shinx' body and the creature began to pant softly.

"Pyro, I have an idea! Use smog and then set it aflame using ember!" Pyro opened his mouth and spat out some highly toxic and even more flammable smoke that surrounded the both of them. Nothing could be seen from the outside, but suddenly there was a bright spark and a huge flame enveloped the Gym. It seemed to implode in on itself as the fire tore through the lightly consumable food and it left the whole battleground clear.

There, in the middle of it all, stood Pyro, panting heavily and having some minor burn wounds despite that he was a fire type himself. Opposite him lay a Shinx, still shuddering badly, he couldn't get up.

"Come back Shinx," Volkner said almost gently. "I guess I underestimated you, little girl. League rules say I have to give you my badge, the Beacon Badge, now. But, because I'm awesome," He kinda struck a pose there, making Jane laugh. "I shall give you another prize…"

"But isn't it customary to give trainers a TM or something after a match beside the badge?" Jane asked him, all so innocently, making Volkner scowl at her.

"Not don't make me change my mind!" He threatened. "But it's awesome, because it's nothing customary! I'm giving you a Pokémon, and an unusual one too." He rummaged around a shelf for a while before finding what he was looking for. "Ah, there she is!" He showed her a blue and white Pokéball with cloud-like decorations. "There, all yours, a pretty little Swably. Don't girls like the cute ones?"

Jane looked at him like he was crazy. She had a snake and a hellhound on her team, and he asked her if she liked cute stuff?! "Whatever, thanks and all that jazz. Gotta run!" And so she grabbed the Ball from his hand and ran out the gym, only to be greeted by none other than…

"TY!!" Jane yelled as she threw her arms around his neck and they hugged for a little while. Then she broke apart and looked at him like he was crazy. "What the hell are you doing here?!"

"The Prof. wanted me to do some field-research and he oh so casually suggested that I should maybe travel a little." Ty said, a happy look on his face. "But Caren and Dad still want you to email them!"

Jane simply laughed and hugged him again. This might be the best day of her life. Or, well, of the past week at least.

Years
    Luigi-a: I have to admit, you were mean to Volkner. For a few moments I wanted him to win XD Anyway...
    Congrats, Pyro grew to level 15! Ekans (now Hydra, so congrats on that too) grew to level 12!

Broadway

Find your wings.
    Years
    "Quartz Town," Carol said. "Quartz, quartz, quartz." It was a funny word. She liked quartz though, it was a neat stone, and came in different colours and sometimes even crystals. If the electric town was all yellow, maybe the Quartz town would be all crystals? She laughed to herself. Probably not—but she couldn't wait to see it.

Not that the route wasn't okay. It was a pretty straight-on road, nothing special, but there were the usual trees and bushes and grassy patches that seemed to her to have lots of potential for seeing pokemon. Chant was hopping along, running in idle zig-zags in front of Carol. Bowen had been out racing her for a little while, but was back in his pokeball now. He liked resting in the sun best, Carol knew now, but the pokeball was good too. She'd stop for a rest later and he could find a nice rock then.

Staring around her instead of looking in front of her, Carol almost tripped over Chant when the Teddiursa stopped short, ears pricked. Carol looked down at her, then followed her gaze off to the left side of the road, where there was a scrubby gravely area with a few bushes and patchy grass. Now that she was still, she thought the heard something too. Yipping?

Chant headed for the sound, peering around the bushes a little more cautiously than Chant, who just skidded around one and out of Carol's sight. Carol heard a happy "Teddiursaaaa!!" even as she hurried up to follow her, so hopefully everything was okay... and yes, it seemed to be. There was a pair of green-and-yellow pokemon there, and before visiting Citrine, Carol wouldn't have known them, but now she did. Electrike! They were wrestling with each other, and looked young. They weren't very big but Carol was pretty sure their electric abilities were very much there anyway, she could smell ozone in the air from electricity passing through it sometime before.

Not one to pass up the opportunity for fighting, even play fighting, Chant ran up to them, stopping just short, thank goodness, of actually jumping into the wrestling pile.

The two Electrike—one was fluffier than the other—tumbled apart and looked at Chant, and then past her to Carol. "Teddi!" she called out to them again, and the fluffy one barked out in equally enthusiastic response. The other one whined uncertainly, retreating behind its friend.

"Llleectrike!" the fluffy one declared. The other one backed away more, slipping under a bush to watch from there. So, not a double battle this time, too bad. The fluffy one lunged and snapped at Chant, as if testing her and making it known that a real battle was going to happen, but after it pulled back its mouth open and its tongue lolled out in a canine-style grin. No hard feelings about battling with this one. Chant seemed to have a talent for finding pokemon that liked to fight.

"Ted! Teddi!" Chant swiped one paw at the Electrike, then set herself in a ready stance as the Electrike started to pace in a stalking stance.

"Leer," Carol told her, and Chant bared her teeth challengingly. The Electrike did likewise, and Carol rolled her eyes a little. "Well, don't just stand around," she said next. "Go in now! Fury Swipes!"

"Urssssaaaa!" Chant bellowed, and charged for the Electrike, arms out and paws spread for maximum momentum. The Electrike dodged the initial blows, but Chant got it twice anyway, and then leaped for it, latching on around its middle and holding on. It pawed at her, struggling to pry her away, but she didn't let go, so instead it howled once, a piercing sound, and then flung itself on the ground, slamming into her chest, then managing to spring free. It was panting, but it was still giving that doggy grin, and as Chant pushed herself to her feet, she shook herself and gave a toothy grin right back.

"Faint attack!" Carol said. Chant hadn't used that one much yet at all, only when training with Bowen. Time to try it for real.

Chant made a 'come here' motion at the Electrike, almost a taunt, and darted forward and then back, as if enticing it closer. It came, too, looking cautious but confident, like it thought Chant's twitchy motions meant an easy mark. Then it was in reach. Chant gestured one way, then jumped forward in the other, covering the space between them from a side the Electrike hadn't expected, and she smacked it with both paws.

It retaliated with a Tackle. It was a glancing one, though, and it darted back and away again.

But Chant had gone still now, and Carol gritted her teeth. Paralysis. But from what? She yanked out the pokedex and looked at the entry for Electrike, in hindsight something to have done before this started. Live and learn.

And yes, there it was. One kind of ability Electrike could have was "static".

"Cheap," she muttered, though that was hardly fair when talking about wild pokemon. She still didn't like it, though. "Fury Swipes, Chant!" Carol called out, as the Electrike started a circling run to gain momentum for a Tackle. "Try until you can!"

Chant was thrown by the Tackle this time, but then she stood up, and met the next Tackle with motion instead, catching the Electrike and swiping at it until it got free of her.

Carol wanted badly to use a paralyz heal on Chant right away, but Chant used too many physical attacks to make it worth it. The static could hit her again with any one of her moves. "Guess this is a sign my team needs some special attackers," Carol said to herself.

Well, there was that Horsea. But it was water-type anyway, no point in bringing it out.

Chant managed to deal one more Fury Swipes, but was struck with Tackle three more times for her efforts. At least the Electrike was looking tired, now. "Come one, one more, just a Scratch! You've got it!" Carol called out. She hoped that encouraging Chant for something that was half based on luck wasn't too frustrating. Carol herself definitely was, though.

"Teddiuuuursa!" Chant wound herself up and shook off the paralysis long enough barrel towards the Electrike and get it with outstretched claws. Then the paralysis kicked in again and she fell on her front, grumbling at the ground. The Electrike flopped down right beside her, panting, its fluffy fur thoroughly mussed from the fight. It nosed at Chant while Carol rushed over and used the paralyz heal, and Chant sat up again, heaved a worn-out sight, and stuck her paw in her mouth, smiling around it at the Electrike. She batted at it playfully, and grinned at her.

Carol was actually considering trying to catch it when a whine came from the nearby bush where the other Electrike had hidden away. It crept out and stared, and only when Carol picked up Chant and backed away did it come near its friend. Or maybe sibling, Carol thought. It sat next to the fluffy Electrike, which heaved itself into a sitting position as well, and gave the scared one a comforting lick.

Nah. She didn't want to catch it. The other one would be all alone, if she did. Chant waved at it, and got a happy bark in reply. The scared one mustered up a bark of its own, but Carol thought that one sounded much more like "good riddance!"

And yep—time to go on, get to Quartz Town!

(OOC: This one's not very long, but I'm going to do a second one :))

Broadway

Find your wings.
    Years
    Carol wasn't looking where she was going, at all, but neither was the guy who slammed into her and sent her sprawling backwards.

"Oh, gosh, sorry, I just..." it was some guy, big as her big brothers, she thought, raising one hand to rub her face. She'd been looking at her pokedex, and it had smacked her in the nose when they'd collided.

"Whatever, I wasn't looking either," she said. She hadn't even heard him coming, and he must've been going pretty quick if he'd knocked her down. He held out an apologetic hand, and she grabbed his wrist and hauled herself up. In his other arm he cradled a really pretty Vulpix. "Oh, hi there," Carol greeted it, unable not to smile. "You okay?" It leaned out and sniffed at her curiously. Phew, didn't look like she'd hurt it or anything. "What's the hurry?" She looked up at the guy, who gave her a sheepish look.

"You don't know?!"

"If I did, I wouldn't ask," she pointed out, and he looked sheepish again.

"It's the Parade! The Pokemon Parade! It's every year and there's a special guest this year, but it's a surprise and everyone's been guessing, but the security must be great because no one's been able to find out anything!"

Carol found herself grinning wider with each word. "Now that sounds like something I gotta see," she said. Parades! Those were great! There were always costumes and marching bands, and candy!

"It's gonna be bigger than ever, stuff to do, a whole festival." He was grinning right back, and scritched his Vulpix under its chin fondly, but he was also casting glances onward down the path.

"Okay, you can keep running now," Carol told him, and he laughed a little and raised a hand in farewell as he broke into a jog again.

"Who said it was wild pokemon that were dangerous?" she asked herself, and felt gingerly at her nose again.

"Sssssssssssekannnnnssss," Bowen hissed intimidatingly at the little grass pokemon. It didn't seem particularly daunted, though, just hopped around on its two little feet, just as ready as Bowen was to do battle.

There was something weird about plants fighting, Carol had always thought. They were... they were plants. But look at this one go! She had to admit, judging pokemon by their looks wasn't the best idea. But it was just hard not to. This little Oddish was really cute, except for the way it had bounded out of the tall grass and glowered up at Carol.

"Go on and Wrap!" Carol said.

"Oddish! Dish!" the Oddish announced. It bunched itself up, and a puff of powder scattered out towards Bowen. He ignored it—couldn't poison a poison-type! Carol loved that. He slithered forward and Wrapped the little grass pokemon, tightening once and making it squeak a bit in protest.

"Hey, you challenged us," Carol told it pointedly. Then it opened its mouth and drool up some nasty-looking stuff, spraying it far as it could against Bowen's scales.

"Sssss!" Bowen hissed. That wasn't really very effective, but it sure looked gross.

"Bite, Bowen!" she ordered him, and he did so with a will, clamping his jaws down hard. He squeezed it again with Wrap, then let go and tossed it sideways. It didn't go down, just kept glaring, then spat another Acid spray at Bowen. "Bite again," Carol said, and Bowen lunged and grabbed the Oddish in his mouth again, Biting it hard and tossing it away again, back towards the long grass. This time it didn't attack again, just sat up, and then slowly edged back towards the safety of the grass.

"Wow!!" Carol heard a voice off to the side and turned to look as Bowen returned to her side, and tucked his head under her hand before coiling himself around her arm to sling himself over her shoulder and peer with her at the newcomer.

It was a girl probably Carol's age, in a yellow-and-blue party dress, and holding an Igglybuff clutched to her chest. She had light brown hair in big showy curls, all tied up in a poofy blue ribbon. She had white knee socks and shiny black shoes, and Carol had no idea what she was doing out here on the path. She was done up like a fancy doll, and she looked like she should be sitting in front of one of those fancy dressers with a mirror, and doing her hair.

"Uh, hi," Carol said.

"You made that look so easy! Are you a real trainer?" the girl chirped, and took the last few steps towards Carol. "I want to be. I got Marshmallow here for my birthday and I want to train him up!" The Igglybuff waved its little arms, and smiled, its chubby face squishing up cutely with the expression.

"Thats a him?" Carol said dumbly. "It's pink." The Igglybuff stopped smiling then, and crossed its little arms in displeasure. "Oh, uh, sorry... mister Marshmallow." It—he uncrossed his arms and gave her a suspicious look.

"Daddy said male ones are even rarer than females," the girl said, nodding wisely.

"Oh... well, good." Carol replied. "You, uh, come out here to train him, then?"

"Yes... but it didn't go very well," the girl frowned, and shifted Marshmallow in her arms. "We lost and he's too tired to fight now. We were just heading back into town when we passed you. That was really amazing," the girl said admiringly, and Carol had to look at the ground. She scuffed one shoe against the path, and hoped she wasn't blushing or anything.

"Well, thanks. I mean... it wasn't a very good match for the Oddish... it couldn't poison Bowen here, or anything, because he's a poison type already."

"Oh his name is Bowen!" the girl exclaimed, and reached out, giving Carol a brief look of request before touching his head, stroking over his smooth scaled. Bowen flickered his tongue out at the girl's wrist and she giggled. Carol decided that no, looks were definitely a bad idea to judge with. She would never have expected a girl wearing a dumb dress like that to want to pet a pokemon like an Ekans, or to come out here by herself to train.

"Yeah. I'm Carol, by the way. Uh, good to meet you, and stuff."

The other girl giggled. "You're funny. I'm Diana," she said, and made a little curtsy. Carol blinked. Was this girl for real? Maybe she'd fallen out of a book, or something.

"Well, I'm going back to Quartz... I'll go with you, if you want," Carol said, feeling awkward, but Diana just smiled and nodded.

"Oh, thank you! I was worried about walking there with Marshmallow all tired out... I think I will need to have a bigger team," she said. Marshmallow looked up, and then patted her face in comfort.

"Well... I have two. I'm gonna get more for sure. If you wanna be a real trainer, you'll have six at the end," Carol answered.

"Six..." Diana said, half to herself. "How will I ever decide?"

"Well..." Carol settled Bowen on her shoulders and stuck her hands in her hoodie pocket, and tilted her head in the direction of town. "You have a normal type now... so..." she told her about Chant, since Chant was normal too, and how she'd found Bowen. Diana definitely wasn't a dumb princess-girl or anything, and she knew stuff about pokemon so that they could really talk about it. Carol ended up following Diana all the way to her house in town before saying goodbye.

"I'll show you all around for the parade, okay?" Diana said, before she went through the gate (Diana's house matched her clothes, she was definitely a rich girl). She put her email and messenger information into Carol's tablet computer, and then ran up the fancy walkway of her fancy house.

"Huh," Carol said, staring at the big sculpted garden as she kept going along the street, back towards the part of town where the Pokemon Center was. It kinda reminded her of the Safari Zone. Well, not really, it was way too small. But the plants looked natural... it was a nice garden, not like some of the ones here with plants all messed up with clippers to look like sculptures, or flowers all in perfect rows.

A passing older woman with an expensive-looking coat and a groomed-up Eevee at her side looked down her nose at Carol and sniffed audibly. Carol stared right back at her, still smiling, until she looked flustered and turned away. Bowen flickered his tongue at the Eevee, and it too stuck its perfect nose in the air and trotted next to its owner.

Carol watched them go, then raised her own chin. She was allowed to walk down this street if she wanted to. So there.

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
    "So, tell me again why you're here?" Jane and Ty were sitting on a log in route 304, not that far from where they started. Jane hadn't seen him for about a day, but she was still itching to hear everything. It was crazy how much she had missed him in that short a time. "The Professor just randomly decided to send you off? Just like that?"

"Jane, we've been over this. He thought that it might be best for me to work in the field for a while, but just a little while. He said he'd call be back when he needed me."

"I just can't believe he did that! He always seemed a bit like a stiff old man to me, but apparently not?" Hydra was laying on Jane's feet again, but her other Pokémon were inside their ball. Mainly because Jane was kinda meh about the bird, and Pyro didn't get along with Hydra at all. Now the snake was sleeping peacefully in the afternoon sun. "So what Pokémon did he give you anyway?"

Ty took out a Pokéball, as if he'd been waiting for Jane to ask. Within a second a Sneasel looked about curiously and very mischievously. "Janey, meet Bandit!"

"Bandit?!" Jane snorted, how appropriate. The Sneasel looked like he could be one. He had all the mischievous aspects of someone who could trick you at any minute.

"How about that bird that you said Volkner gave you?" Jane had told him about the bird, but she had never actually released it. She took the terribly pretty Pokéball and released the creature. The thing was, as she feared, a fluffy blue bird with little beady eyes and a tiny grey beak.

Totally girly and totally not frightening.

The bird looked at her for a second, just looked, and then it violently cawed and flew up into a tree. "What the hell?!" Jane uttered as she watched the creature look at Hydra and Bandit, glaring like it just wanted to scoop down and peck their eyes out. Creeeeeeepy.

Ty laughed. "I guess that fluffy little thing's got quite a temper!" His laughter got met by a glare from Jane, not fun, not fun at all. Swablu stayed in the tree watching the two Pokémon before it flew down in one smooth motion, latched itself onto Hydra and started pecking her head violently.

"NO! YOU ROTTER BIRD!" Jane screamed as she launched herself at the Swably and tore it away from Hydra, who turned around with murder in her eyes and fired poisonous stingers at the bird. Some of the latched, some of them didn't, and Swablu cried out in horror, though it didn't seem poisoned.

"Bad bird, bad bird," Jane was yelling at the Swablu, who was, in turn, looking at Hydra stubbornly, who hissed in a 'Don't you even dare,' kind of way. "Why did I get the psycho bird?!" Jane uttered to herself, resulting in a peck at her hand from Swablu. Jane cursed, Ty stopped laughing and Swablu escaped to perch itself on a branch again.

"Jane, are you okay?" Ty asked, suddenly all concerned-like, but Jane waved it away. Her hand hurt, but the Swablu only scraped some layers of skin of, not actually hitting a blood vessel.

"Why?" Jane muttered again. "Seriously, what is wrong with me? I attract an ADHD Houndour, a bi-polar snake and a psychotic and possibly sadistic Swablu?! Am I cursed?" Jane asked Ty in a totally serious way.

"Nooo, Jane, you just have some bad luck, and Pyro and Hydra came out all right, didn't they?" He said soothingly. Then he got an idea. "How about a battle, test out that Swablu of yours and my Bandit!"

Jane nodded, still troubled by the fact that she just got another mental case. She had seen the mischievous look in Volkner's eyes as he rummaged through the other balls, specifically looking for this one. The jerk set her up! "Swably, we're gonna have a battle against Bandit, think you can handle that?" A sharp answer from the Swablu said 'yes' and it flew toward the Sneasel.

"Okay, Bandit, start with a quick attack and then use scratch!" Ty started and Bandit, who was incredibly quick even without a quick attack, surged forward and jumped onto the Swablu, scratching it twice, once with the quick attack and once with the scratch. Swablu answered with a furious cry and swooped down, pecking Bandit multiple times before swooping up again.

"SWABLY!!" Jane yelled. "You have to wait for my command! Use sing and then astonish!" The Swablu did just that, uttering some sweet tunes that lulled Bandit right to sleep. After that she disappeared into white clouds, only to reappear right behind Bandit and attacking him with a fierce cry. The cry and attack woke Bandit right up.

"Bandit, use taunt," Ty ordered. Bandit jumped in front of Swablu and taunted her with insulting moves and cried. She puffed herself up, mad at the Sneasel, and was about to attack.

"SWABLY!" Jane called, warning the bird who stopped in midair. "Do only as I say! This is not the Swably show! Now I want you to use peck, get in there and get that Sneasel!" And the Swablu was glad to comply. She dove down, her cloudy wings giving her an appearance of feigned grace and beauty while all that went on in her brain was death and similar things.

"Bandit, dodge and scratch!" Ty was quick to say and Bandit was quick to comply. He dove out of the way, raised his claw and slashed Swablu violently. She cried out in pain, faltered in her air but just in time she caught herself. She did a sort of twist in the air, twisting round and round while she was getting more and more momentum. She hit Bandit full-on, the Sneasel got launched against a tree and fainted. Swablu was the winner.

'Great job, Swably!" Jane cried. Okay, the bid may be psycho, but that lust for hurting things did make her a great battler as long as Jane was in control. But it was still and off thing.

"See, that wasn't bad, it really wasn't, considering that Bandit was way stronger trained that she was. It looks like she's never really been properly trainer in her life, just letting her own lust for battle drive her." Ty reached out to pet her, and she let him, cooing quite pleasantly at the touch. "But anyway, let's be off, I want to catch another Pokémon!" Ty declared, and off they were.

Years
    Swan: Do you know how long it took me to realize that it was "Bandit" and not "Brandit"? XD
    Swably grew to level 13! Whoooooooooooo

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back