• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Warriors Thread

pkmin3033

Well, we keep talking about it but nobody has actually MADE the thing yet, so here we go. xD

Koei's Omega Force team have been working overtime these last few years, and what was once a single series - Dynasty Warriors - has evolved into a much larger franchise, including spinoff series like Samurai Warriors, one-off crossovers like Dragon Quest Heroes and Hyrule Warriors, and a LOT of anime adaptations based off franchises like Gundam, One Piece and, more recently, Arslan and Berserk. Things don't show any signs of slowing down, and as more and more titles are given the Warriors treatment, more and more people are being drawn in.

Soooo, let's chat about Warriors games! I'll pose three questions to start us off:

• Which Warriors title is your favourite?
  • What franchise would you like to see get the Warriors treatment?
  • What do you think of the recent Berserk warriors title announced? Any hopes/expectations for gameplay?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I have proven to be a useless man, but I am still a Man and a half, so...

Favorite Series: Dynasty Warriors. Simply put, these are the games that I grew up with. Even though people may say that Samurai Warriors is the "better" alternative, my pure spirit and interest of ancient Chinese history will always be there for me. This is Koei-Tecmo's series of series. The very core Warriors series that has fathered the rest of the spinoffs. Many of the spinoffs take after their Dynasty fathers and mothers such as in the character designs, weapons, movesets, the usual motifs, and even some in-game mechanics that are reintroduced in the spinoff or brother/sister titles. And in full circle, the Dynasty Warriors series have also improved from the things introduced in the Sister and spinoff titles. Also, Wei is best Kingdom. Strength. Reason. AMBITION! Also, I take my username motif from Zhao Yun (hence, Xin ZhaoYun = Xin Zhao, who is a decendant of Zhao Yun, who is the father of all badass manly spearmen), who is my favorite character in the franchise, who in turn is one of the greatest generals in the three kingdoms era.

Also, is it weird that even though Zhao Yun is my favorite character in all of the Warriors series, Wei is my favorite Kingdom? In every Empires game i played, I picked Wei and got Zhao Yun to join. So Zhao Yun in the Wei Army and Kingdom is the gloriouest of glorious! STRENGTH. REASON. AMBITION!

Franchise getting the warriors treatment: WORLD WAR WARRIORS. I wanna see General Patton's musou attack of him summoning a couple of tanks while grabbing one with his bare hands and swinging it like a wrecking ball. But Xin, World War? Don't they use guns, cannons, and missiles? THat wouldn't feel like a "Warriors" game. WRONG! The latest Dynasty Warriors titles has a couple of characters (or to be more specific, weapon classes) that offer ranged combat while still controlling like your typical Warriors game. I mean really, just check out Lianshi in Dynasty Warriors 8 and her glorious bust crossbow. Koei has made ranged weaponry feel fun and fluid, and not awkward with the typical Warriors gameplay design. Something that took them 7-8 games, years, to finally perfect.

What do you think of the recent Berserk warriors title announced? Allow me to rephrase what i said in the previous thread.
ULTRA VIOLENCE BABY! ALL DAY EVERYDAY IN THE PANTS!

They can simply take the Dynasty Warriors 8 Engine and greatly expand upon it. Berserk was and is all about massive body counts of enemy men and demons alike, and the DW8's Engine's ability to render a lot of on-screen characters all at once while keeping gameplay optimized for most of the time will make for a great base engine to work with.

And.. I WANT GLORY KILLS/FATALITIES! You can't have Ultraviolence without glorious finishing moves upon enemy generals and demons.

jappo

[b]Thank you for being you![/b]
Years
Wait wait wait! There is a Warriors thread? that is so awesome! Dynasty warriors 4 is without a doubt the game I played the most on my PS2, even beating GTA San Andreas!

Favorite Series:
Dynasty warrior series of course
I have dynasty warriors 8 legendary edition and played (like I said above) dynasty warriors 4 a lot on the PS2. The replay value on these games is just perfect!

Franchise getting the warriors treatment:
Hmmmm, maybe like Lord of the Rings? Could be pretty awesome to have Helms deep warrior style! :O You dont even have to add the film cast, you have enough races to add new faces in the game!

What do you think of the recent Berserk warriors title announced?
Wait wut? that sound sooo brutal! I like it! I just want over the top action in that game. Lets make it extreme, and the amount of enemies to defeat really really high!

Thanks for making a thread for a franchise that is close to my childhood heart :D

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Thread is lacking in activity. Might as well try doing something about it.

So i tried looking for any information regarding any of Koei-Tecmo's future plans and well, so far, nada. There's some news regarding Nioh, but that's not a "Warriors" related game so that's out of the blue. As for Berserk Warriors, well, lets just wait for Koei to finally pop up with more follow ups on what Berserk will be.

Should thread activity here continue, I'll make some respective goodies for active participants. I'll first give out like Wei, Wu, and Shu kingdom userbars and/or emblems for people to use ^__^.

jappo

Years
oooeehhhh I hear Warriors goodies! As long as its Wu, im always down!

I might start playing DW 8 soon. I want to try and complete the ambition mode. As a matter of fact, I think ill do that today :D
Will keep you posted on DW experiences and memories then :)

Question: I have already played throught every factions story in DW4. Is it worth it to play throught it again in DW8? Like the Wu, Shu, Wei stories.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Its DW8. Its worth to play through the Wei, Shu, and Wu factions all over again mainly since each faction has a bunch stages unique to their story mode, kinda like how it was in DW4 but done even better, and it explores more of the relations with the characters who have been around since day 1, and the newer generation of characters. Oh and Hypothetical routes also exist, which basically means different events, and some characters who died in their historical periods being kept, and even some characters in different factions joining the faction being played because again, Hypothetical. Its amazing. I love it, like being able to keep Dian Wei post Wan Castle and have him carry over to the later chapters of Wei's story. Its delicious.

jappo

Years
Dian Wei is a really awesome character, so playing more with him is always nice!

I do aggree the character interactions in DW8 are way better! I already played throught the Jin storylinem and loved the interactions of Sima Zhao with Wang Yuanji and Jia Chong.
Alright, perhaps ill do that after ambition mode :)

pkmin3033

As I've said many times - and will continue to say just because I feel that strongly about it - I prefer the Samurai Warriors games to the Dynasty Warriors ones...the cast in particular are far more appealing, and I think the gameplay style and pacing suits me more. It's a little more...technical, I suppose you could say? After being put off the Warriors series for a while thanks to DW7, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Samurai Warriors 4, anyway. Chronicles was the only 3DS game I had for a while too, since the launch lineup for that handheld was woefully sparse...

I was actually debating buying Arslan: The Warriors of Legend the other day...and Samurai Warriors 4 Empires, which I really do need to get. I've never actually played an Empires game before...how do you guys feel they are in comparison to the mainline series?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
The Warriors Empires series is something that I've always had a mixed opinion on, but its based mostly on the older games.

My first taste of The Warriors' empires game was DW4E, which i only played thanks to a friend having it, and I wasn't pleased with the rather small battles. But for some reason, I still bought DW5 Empires not really knowing what to expect. Surprisingly, its the cute mix of some simpliefed ROTK (The strategy game series, Koei's other core title series) stuff and some battles here and there, which of course by limitations, are smaller in scope unlike the mainline games.

But those are the old games. I've seen some hectic and bodycount filled battles in the newer Empires games in the newer generation consoles and I have to say, I would probably get DW8 XL and any of the Samurai games as well.

The thing with Empires is that there is more focus on the civilization kind of building while there's still battles on the side. Its basically you put simplified ROTK and simplified Warriors' battles. But the main part really with Empires is the civilization and diplomatic affairs stuff. The ones not related to smashing your Square Button a hundred billion times. Its something that takes some time to appreciate ESPECIALLY to those who have never played any of the ROTK games. But what i do like, from what I've seen in the newer Empires games are the possibilities of marriage between characters (Zhang Liao x Lu Lingqi) to produce some offspring.

So basically, Empires. Always wanted to build that hypothetical kingdom of yours? (Wei with Zhao Yun as one of the top generals? YES PLZ!) its how it is. The thing with Empires is that the stuff most people enjoy in their Warriors' games, which is hacking and slashing enemies and massing up bodycounts, isn't as intense as that of the mainline games. I mean, the battles are still there, but there's more given to things outside of fighting, which should definitely be considered.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
Which Warriors title is your favourite?

Warriors Orochi 3. I was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed the game, after the mild experience with Orochi 2. Switching got much smoother, more characters, and tons of content to play through. I was literally glued to my PS3 for like a whole week when it came out, haha. It's not without flaws, though. I'd really appreciate if Tecmo Koei didn't lazily copy-and-pasted these character without adjusting them. Granted, I'm not expecting proper balance of cast of 130, but the difference in playing Sima Yi when compared to Okuni, is startling. In general, a lot of the Samurai Warriors cast suffered greatly in the transition because they didn't receive their huge revamp (ala Samurai Warriors 4) yet, when Dynasty Warriors did (DW7) which is why the contrast was so large. Still, a good game overall.

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, was great expansion as well. Adding even more content to an already bloated game, but having Kasumi, Momiji, and Sterkenburg MOON-CUTTING Cranach playable was what really sealed the deal. Sophitia was cool too, I guess.

For mainline titles, I typically prefer Samurai Warriors over Dynasty Warriors. It's always been the more engaging of the two, in regards to objectives, and I like the more 'grounded' gameplay. However, I'm bigger fan of the characters from Dynasty Warriors.

What franchise would you like to see get the Warriors treatment?

Fire Emblem is on the top of my list. It's one of the few IPs that would make easiest of transitions. Everybody in the FE universe is already on horses, jumping around, and firing off giant spells. The movesets would come flowing.

A Type-Moon game would be next. But, Fate/Extella is a thing. So, by default, I want my Kiseki Warriors. LET ME PLAY AS CASSIUS AND ARIOS WHILE THEY CUT THROUGH HORDES OF ENEMIES.

What do you think of the recent Berserk warriors title announced? Any hopes/expectations for gameplay?

I have a sinking feeling that the game is going to resemble more Nioh, than one of the more faster-paced Warriors games; which is not something I wouldn't want to see. Otherwise, no expectations.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Still trying to think of some emblems or userbars visitors. While its easy to make the 3 Kingdoms + the other separatist factions (Wei, Wu, Shu, Jin, Other, and of course Lu Bu), I don't know what to reference when it comes to the SW crowd. That's the thing.. there isn't really any separate "kingdoms" during the Sengoku Period, and most of the people involved just either jumped from unifier to unifier (Nobunaga, Hideyoshi, Tokugawa)... so yeah still thinking of those userbars or emblems. T__T I know at one point during the Sengoku time, there was the Eastern Army (Tokugawa) vs Western Army (Mitsunari)...

sigh, which is why i liked Dynasty, and the Three Kingdoms a lot more xD. There were at least CLEAR cut factions to root for. Wei (like myself), Shu, Wu, Others, Jin (Sima Yi's trolling of the Cao family), and of course Lu Bu.

And then there's the portrayals of Cao Cao and Nobunaga. Who here remembers how "Evil" were they portrayed when they were first introduced in their respective games?

Last edited:

Arc

Years
Nobunaga, yes. They shoved it pretty hard down your throat in SW1, that he was the big bad.

Cao Cao, not really. It was more of Koei giving a heavily biased portrayal to Liu Bei, and sometimes those of Wu. I'm glad that the later games have started to shine Cao Cao in a better light; just an ambitious and smart ruler. DW7's Wei story was easily the best of the bunch because of it. If you want a hilariously 'evil' portrayal of Cao Cao, oh man, Kessen II takes the cake (though, his story mode does eventually give him a better image).

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
"说曹操,曹操到 (Speak of Cao Cao, and he arrives) => I'm glad that suddenly he arrives, and tells me that He'll make China great again. He's clearly unhappy with his descendants.

The funny thing is that ROTK itself, the romanticized re-telling of the Three Kingdoms history in itself is quite biased with Shu, so it was natural for Koei to take advantage of it. It took Koei DW6 to give Liu Beu, Luo Guanzhong's poster child (ROTK's very writer), the overly powerful moveset that may have made Luo Guanzhong happy in the pants. Oh and yes, Liu Bei is quite busted in DW8 when using his signature weapon. So, so busted. Then again its what i love about DW8 in general. Every weapon class feels viable for the hack and slashing that the game is all about, heck Xiahou Yuan, a crappy character for the longest time, pretty much became good since DW7.

I am happy in the later games that Cao Cao and Wei in general were shown in far better lights than in the older games. I mean Cao Cao in the older games may not have been super evil but was quite the asshole, but starting from DW6 he's been shown in a far far better light.

I think the same can be said with Nobunaga in the later games after SW1's rather dark tone. Heck, in WO1, Nobunaga was a straight up Face but with the dialogue of a typical anti-hero. I loved it.

Lu Bu's portrayal in his DW8XL's Hypothetical path is quite amazing. I mean Lu Bu was quite the dumbass asshole in almost every retelling of the series, including with the actual novel, but man just seeing Lu Bu in his DW8XL Hypothetical Path act as the big guy who fully respects his officers instead of his historical path where he basically acts like a whiny ragey kid. playing through Lu Bu's hypothetical path gave me so much tear in my eyes. I mean sure he still acted like his overly cliche portrayal but the fact

I'll never forgive SW1's Honnouji levels though. Jesus christ, I was a much younger kid back then when i played those levels (WAY Younger than what my age is as of today) and i swear to me Cao Wei's, unless you were playing as Mitsuhide's side were things are slightly easier, since you're playing as the murderer's side.

Arc

Years
Koei goes one step and above with the Shu pandering though, lol. The amount of times they spout out "BENEVOLENCE!" just hurts the brain after awhile. And, Liu Shan going from the incompetent and cowardly ruler, to someone whose misunderstood and deep in DW7 gave me a chuckle. Especially, when in DW4XL, he had his intended personality.

They definitely put a lot of in DW8 with differentiating all the weapon types. I believe it was the first DW game ever where nobody shared the same movesets. Oh, I feel that Xiahou Yuan sentiment. Before he got an actual unique Bow and Rod moveset in DW8, he always felt like a crappier version of Huang Zhong. Now, he's much more of a pleasant experience to go play as. Actually, three of my favourite movesets ever in a Warriors game in Dual-headed Mace, Siege Spear, and Fencing sword + Hooked dagger (well the last two were formally introduced 7:E, but no one played that) were in DW8.

The one thing, that I'm glad that Koei is highlighting more in Cao Cao was his trait of recruiting anyone who he thought was exceptional. Prime examples being Guan Yu, Xu Zhu, and Jia Xu (the dude who tried to ambush Cao Cao, lol).

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
http://kotaku.com/heres-the-first-berserk-musou-trailer-1782476381

Actual Berserk Musou Trailer for thread.

Well its not going to be like the typical Warriors game judging from how fast those attack swings are. BUT THOSE HORDES! THOSE HORDES OF ENEMIES! AND LOOK AT THE BLOOD. THE GUTS. THE GORE! YESSSS YESSSSSSSS!!!! MEAT IN MY KOEI-TECMO GAME. OH YEAH!

And yes, I'm quite turned on after seeing that.

Release Date: Sept. 21 (Japan), unnounced/tentative for the international releases.
Platforms: PS4, PS3, PS Vita via Download / PS4, PC (FECK YEAH!), and PC in NA and EU = tentative

So i just saw The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor and i just realized, why don't we ever have a "Warriors" game set in the years before the Fall of the Han Dynasty.. like the Qin Dynasty age or whatnot.

jappo

Years
http://kotaku.com/heres-the-first-berserk-musou-trailer-1782476381

Actual Berserk Musou Trailer for thread.

Well its not going to be like the typical Warriors game judging from how fast those attack swings are. BUT THOSE HORDES! THOSE HORDES OF ENEMIES! AND LOOK AT THE BLOOD. THE GUTS. THE GORE! YESSSS YESSSSSSSS!!!! MEAT IN MY KOEI-TECMO GAME. OH YEAH!

And yes, I'm quite turned on after seeing that.

Release Date: Sept. 21 (Japan), unnounced/tentative for the international releases.
Platforms: PS4, PS3, PS Vita via Download / PS4, PC (FECK YEAH!), and PC in NA and EU = tentative

So i just saw The Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor and i just realized, why don't we ever have a "Warriors" game set in the years before the Fall of the Han Dynasty.. like the Qin Dynasty age or whatnot.

Holy Cow that looks pretty amazing! Love the somewhat more ' brutal'approach they have done on this game :)

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Honestly it looks to me more like typical Musou with darker colours than something like Ken's Rage, but we'll see when more of it gets shown. All I really want are linear maps for Story and battlefields for Dream mode. Assuming the game has a Dream mode, since Arslan failed to include anything other than the Story mode.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
If its in for the shock, be ready for the murdercock.

I'm okay with Guts' attack speed with his sword. I mean I'm okay with a bit of weight and rrange anyway.

Years
  • Online now
Musou games probably are the games I played the most. The games I will never get bored playing.

Which Warriors title is your favourite?
Samurai Warriors 2. Everything in the game are perfect for me, the gameplay, the characters design, the musics. I maxed all the playable characters, and still can't get enough of it. {XD}

What franchise would you like to see get the Warriors treatment?
Maybe Final Fantasy. Basically instead of 1v1 battle like Dissidia, in this game everyone bring their own force.

What do you think of the recent Berserk warriors title announced? Any hopes/expectations for gameplay?
Looks really cool, but a little bit slow paced imo.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Is it me or is it that every time i think of this thread's title, this is what appears in my mind?

OWL11jG.jpg

just throwing it down ;)

Anyway:
I feel that Berserk Musou is going to be something like a glorious mix of Dynasty Warriors and Ken's Rage, where its either going to have huge arena-like sections but hopefully with some more exploration and adventure just to show that Koei can make a "Warriors" game that doesn't just rely on battlefields.

And as long as Koei doesn't DUN FCUKED IT UP like what they did with Warriors Legends of Troy, oh god that game was terrible.. i mean some may say it isn't that bad, but trust me, Legends of Troy is something that i consider a low point in Koei's library.

Back