• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Zero Dilemma [dltms0 - June Edition]

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

Hmmm... How would I go about creating an oval shape with my keyboard? I tried making an O, but it was a bit too round for my tastes. I need something more... horizontally squished.

Mods, you're good at computer stuff. Care to help a guy out?

Years
    That was a sleepy reset. I have half a mind to reset because I'm still numb in half my face from novocaine from a dentist appointment earlier today, but the Swede's Crunchyroll problem is far more interesting.

I have Crunchyroll now.

The "high" streaming quality on Android is shit and the manga app is broken.

Will keep pirating on the side/10

Which app versions are you running, and on what device? Most of my quality issues on Android are tied into my home ISP having persistent performance issues. I don't really notice the resolution issues because my phone screen is only 5.2" in size.

I generally stream Crunchyroll via the PS3 app. Which, while unwieldy to navigate at first (you get used to it as it's the same interface as on the PSVita), I generally do not have issues with. I don't have issues with higher resolutions because I'd rather see something in its native resolution than have to deal with a hastily done upscale.

Then again, I generally have none of the problems that most people complain about with apps for whatever reason.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

I use the Android applications.

Image quality is glaringly obvious to me on my 9 inch 1536p tablet's screen. Even more so is the sound quality.
    The native resolution of current anime is higher than 720p more often than one might think, as well. 900p and 1080p are both common sights. And even with upscaling, the low bitrate and artefacting of a 720p stream tend to make the picture much less crisp and pleasant than that of a 1080p one. Even if it's downscaled to a 720p screen. Hell, especially then.

I'm sure the possibility exists that the app is limiting itself by how it perceives my connection, in which case I'd wish it to bloody well give me the manual choice instead, since I can watch 1080p video fine on other services over Wi-fi. As for the manga issues, they seem to have to do with how sloppily the application handles the storing of pre-loading data. Many seem to share the issue. (It's not like I got CR for manga anyway, so eh. I just won't use it.)

You know, as I take a look at the Crunchyroll forums (granted, a bad idea to begin with) to read discussions on legitimate usability and quality issues, I find that threads are littered with responses using logic along the lines of "I personally don't mind inferior quality, ergo this is a non-issue", "at least you get to watch anime/it's better than nothing(!), so stop complaining", after which some CR representative dryly posts that there "are no current plans to change this", and that's the end of that.
    You know, I think it's this that aggrevates me the most. That people defend the issues, as if someone's doing us a favour, rather than providing a premium service.

I suppose, if anything, it should be considered a success in a company's PR if they have managed to create that kind of view of themselves in the minds of its users. Fuck that, though.

Yes, I'm annoyed.

Years
    ... you can ignore the rant/reply in the spoiler below, then, if you want. Leaving it there because that took a decent bit of time to write up. Because the fan-made app serving their higher quality content probably means one or both of these two things are true:

Android devices are capped because a lot of them cannot actually handle 1080p and Crunchyroll doesn't want to deal with the sea of complaints from users trying to play 1080p on devices that can't play them, or that they are capping the resolution on Android so they avoid getting sued because an idiot watched tons of 1080p content on their capped mobile data connection and wants to deflect the blame away from their own personal irresponsibility and inattentiveness.

Spoiler:

... and now I want to figure out what resolution I'm getting to my own PS3 via CR, because according to my TV, the system outputs at 1080p and 60 fps for the home screen, but this Wagamama High Spec stream doesn't quite look 1080p on my TV, though it doesn't really look any different when I pull it up on the website on my Surface with 1080p selected.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

It was a nice rant/reply, though.

Oh, and that's just Wagamama High Spec being itself. I mean, it's an advertisement for an adult dating sim. The native content was produced in 720p (tops), and then upscaled and gaussian blurred so the edges wouldn't look weird.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years

For all the talking I do, I don't watch much either.

Most I get done on anime/movie nights with friends. Last time we saw three films and a half, two anime episodes, and 20 short-form anime episodes. Sleep was not had.

Years

Think I'll watch some more tonight. wowow

Have just about convinced myself to leave these stupid Death Mode Sound Shapes levels until I've gotten myself a Vita. Did a few but they're too frustrating on a big screen. Main campaign levels are so easy they call them experiences, not a game, but you should play them for the sweet beck levels (one of them is more autistic than the deadmau5 ones).

Years
    17. Making money playing video games requires either immense gaming skill at any multiplayer game with a competitive gaming scene (see those gamers who are part of competitive gaming teams as their full-time job), an entertaining personality (MiniLadd kind of fits here, as does JackSepticEye), or the ability to maintain an entertaining persona (see PewDiePie and SilentDroidd). That or an ability to write entertaining skits and having the patience to set those up and play them out (see SilentDroidd, The Terroriser, and Vanoss Gaming with the skits). Playing a new and popular game helps. And if you're YouTubing, you'll need good video and audio equipment, too, and the video editing skills and patience to go with it. And enough free time to devote to it when you first start out.

As I personally lack pretty much all of the things required, I won't be starting a channel anytime soon.

I am looking into it down the line as a way to earn a tiny bit of money on the side (if I earn enough to fund even one of my hobbies, it's a win), but the first step to that is to get decent video recording equipment.

Back