• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Theism, Agnosticism, or Atheism?

Theism, Agnosticism, or Atheism?

• Total voters

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
Years
  • I am definitely atheist. I see no reason in believing there is a god, as there is absolutely no scientific evidence supporting that claim. The bible breaks the laws of physics countless times (Jesus walking on water, for example. The human body is much more dense than water, and if his density somehow changed, he would have auto-died anyway.), and when that happens, you know something is very wrong. I can't claim the same thing for other religions, as I am not aware of the contents of their holy books, but I am pretty sure they also claim the impossible to be happening all the time.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • I'm an atheist through and through, I don't believe and I never will. You can waste your life that way.

I share almost the same sentiments as you (can't remember if I posted here or not), but I don't think it's a waste of a life if they get positive emotional and mental benefits from believing in a higher power.

You could almost call me a skeptic- I don't believe in the supernatural, and I dislike people jumping to divine or supernatural conclusions just because empirical/tangible evidence isn't apparent. Answers to such complexities rarely occur instantaneously. Just how many ghost photos have been debunked? Ah, but I'm getting off-topic. Skepticism and atheism are similar, but not hand-in-hand.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've identified myself as Agnostic for the best part of two or three years now. Don't get into as many fights as an Atheist would so it works out for me.

Years
  • Theist.
    I don't particularly care about the laws of physics, but I don't believe in everything the bible or its equivalents say either. But, the main reason why I value religion: death. If it was just the end of existance, life, nay, everything would be pointless. I could not live with this thought, and it doesn't explain the will to survive of all living things either, there would be no reason. No, there has to be another explanation than that everything just happened haphazardly, and the existance of a higher being that created the system (most likely not in the way the creation story tells) and has, while benevolent, mostly been a passive observer ever since makes a lot more sense to me than any 'scientific' one saying it all happened randomly and for no reason. I believe there has to be a reason for everything.

Years
  • Posting to specify 'other': Apatheism — I am disinclined toward the notion that I should care either way.
    Being atheist or religious requires you to take a stance. Apatheism, through not caring, is not taking a stance on religion which technically comes under agnosticism.

I'm agnostic/apatheist. I won't believe in gods without proof and consequently can't believe that there aren't gods without proof they don't exist. Because I believe there's no way of obtaining this proof I don't really concern myself with religion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Being atheist or religious requires you to take a stance. Apatheism, through not caring, is not taking a stance on religion which technically comes under agnosticism.
    But isn't agnosticism also taking a stance — that it won't be proven/known either way?

institutions

ain't that a kick in the head?
    Years
  • I guess i'd have to say atheist.
    Unless God and/or Jesus magically floated down to earth on their clouds, I don't think i'd believe in them.
    I just couldn't bring myself to believe whatever "proof" people will bring up, and without actually seeing God/Jesus/Buddha/Shiva/whatever deity with my own eyes, i'd never truly believe in them.

I'd love to say apatheism, because in the end, I really could care less.
    It's not like it affects me anyway. But living in a Christian family, where relatives bring up God/Jesus as much as they do, I can't avoid it.

When I move out and start working and stuff, i'll most likely stop thinking about religion altogether.
    It's just not important.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • I'm an Atheist. I don't usually go around throwing this out there though, I don't label myself with that. I simply don't believe in any god and that's that.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    the Flying Spaghetti Monster? haha
    You do know that this is a real life parody religion, right?
    This is just stupidity in huge numbers of people.

As for me, my life started out with me being a theist, but that's because I was forced into a religion without any choice. I was a little afraid of denying the ways of the religion that was forced onto me, afraid of differentiating myself from others, and I never really thought about what I want or what I believe.

But that was when I was very young. Later on, as I wanted to break free, and stopped caring about it all, I became a mix of an apatheist and agnostic, mainly agnostic. But this was for a short while.

Finally, after that short while, I finally started giving it some thought and care before I conclude (as apatheists don't care or think about these things), and believed that I needed to find what I really believe and really want. After some research on the subject, I saw myself as a deist with very little deviations.

Deism in the philosophy of religion is the standpoint that reason and observation of the natural world, without the need for organized religion, can determine that a supreme being created the universe. Further the term often implies that this supreme being does not intervene in human affairs or suspend the natural laws of the universe. Deists typically reject supernatural events such as prophecy and miracles, tending to assert that God (or "The Supreme Architect") has a plan for the universe that is not to be altered by intervention in the affairs of human life. Deists believe in the existence of God without any reliance on revealed religion, religious authority or holy books. This idea is also known as the Clockwork universe theory, in which God designs and builds the universe, but steps aside to let it run on its own.
    Basically, I believe in the existence of God, yes, but I believe that God made everything and is now letting it run on its own to observe what human being and others actually do when they are given the power of logic paired with emotion and free will. God does not intervene in any affairs of the physical world after the creation process either.
    Moreover, I don't believe in most, if not all of the classic beliefs generally unique to religion related things, like the existence of other holy people, the existence of a guideline which we must follow, and all that.
    However, I do believe that it is very nice, and even required of a person, to abide by some common morals and logic. Without such logic, things would fall apart.

tl;dr version: I'm a deist, i.e. someone who believes that God exists, but that all. In all other ways, they don't believe much, and couldn't care less.

-

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
    Years
  • Because on some sunny days I fail to understand the English language, and I become indecisive, I searched on Google for a test. This is the first one that came up. I just thought maybe people could post their results if they need help deciding as well as describing their beliefs?

https://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-agnostic-atheist-gnostic-theist-test
    (Ignore the site name. Please. Oh, and when it asks you to sign up you don't have to, just click the next button or whatever it says it is.)

My results:
    https://www.okcupid.com/results/the-agnostic-atheist-gnostic-theist-test/?var_Agnosticism=10&fromCGI=1&var_Atheism=14

I thought I was an Atheist. I try to have some faith in some 'high being', but it just does not make sense to me. I guess I just can't settle for something that has no concrete proof. To have faith in something means that you trust it, to trust something means that you believe 'it' will back you up and in turn, you will back 'it' up too. I just can't do that for something that I cannot find any decent scientific evidence for.

But to those that were saved in their time of need (and couldn't find help for whatever reason); it is wonderful to find those who find that their lives are bettered by having faith in a deity.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Because on some sunny days I fail to understand the English language, and I become indecisive, I searched on Google for a test. This is the first one that came up. I just thought maybe people could post their results if they need help deciding as well as describing their beliefs?

https://www.okcupid.com/tests/the-agnostic-atheist-gnostic-theist-test
    (Ignore the site name. Please. Oh, and when it asks you to sign up you don't have to, just click the next button or whatever it says it is.)

My results:
    https://www.okcupid.com/results/the-agnostic-atheist-gnostic-theist-test/?var_Agnosticism=10&fromCGI=1&var_Atheism=14

I thought I was an Atheist. I try to have some faith in some 'high being', but it just does not make sense to me. I guess I just can't settle for something that has no concrete proof. To have faith in something means that you trust it, to trust something means that you believe 'it' will back you up and in turn, you will back 'it' up too. I just can't do that for something that I cannot find any decent scientific evidence for.

But to those that were saved in their time of need (and couldn't find help for whatever reason); it is wonderful to find those who find that their lives are bettered by having faith in a deity.

That's actually not a bad quiz, and it's not quite as biased as I thought it would be given the touchy nature of the subject. XD

My result:
    Theist

-7% Agnosticism and -17% Atheism!

You believe in God (or a higher power) and you have a personal set of beliefs which reflects your faith. You don't, however, feel the need to judge others or convert others that you meet. You're more than glad to share your beliefs in the hopes that they might gain something from them, but even your beliefs are prone to change somewhat over time.
    What's important to you is your own relationship with the Divine, however you classify it, and your own faith. You acknowledge that there are some things you don't understand about the Universe, but trust that your beliefs have given you some insight into the things that matter most.

Back