• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"They're not Cartoons!" Do you hate it people mistake Anime for Cartoons?

Angry at Ignorance?

• Yes

Votes: 50 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Wut? They're Cartoons.

Votes: 69 47.3%

• Total voters

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
    In all honesty, I think anime = cartoons. And cartoons = cartoons. The only difference is their level of maturity.

Lets take... oh, I dunno, Dora the Explorer for example. It's a cartoon, yes. Animated & everything. It's mainly directed at younger children who are about 3-4 years of age, though I know a friend of mine likes Dora as well. But it's mainly directed at younger children. It's a cartoon though. The characters are drawn, the scenery is drawn, and the characters voices are done by voice actors.

Now lets take an anime. I'll use Yu-Gi-Oh! (the original Yu-Gi-Oh!, mind you). It's still drawn out. It's aimed at an older audience. However, the characters & scenery are drawn, and the characters voices are done by voice actors.

The tl;dr? Animes are cartoons. They have way too many similarities to not be considered cartoons. The only differences they have is the audiences that they're aimed at.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
    I don't flame people who think their just cartoons, I just correct them ^^ A lot easier instead of just insulting them due to lack of knowledge about anime.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    It doesn't particularly piss me off, though I do feel obliged to correct the ignoramus.

I don't flame people who think their just cartoons, I just correct them ^^ A lot easier instead of just insulting them due to lack of knowledge about anime.

But you're both wrong. Anime is just cartoons. jesus I hate it when people try to act like they're not.

Years
    They're damn cartoons, and the weird sense of superiority over "cartoons" that most anime obsessors seem to have is one of the main reasons I find them obnoxious.

Geez, why does calling it a cartoon bug you so much? Even if you don't think they're the same, what does it matter? You know what they're talking about. Even if it weren't the correct definition, they're still basically the same thing and feeling the need to point that out just makes you look like a pretentious jerk.

tl;dr - You Mad.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    *sigh* Animation =/= Cartoon. I've already been over this. A cartoon is an animated program not to be taken seriously (mostly comedic in nature, although there are other sorts of cartoons). Anime is animation, not cartoon. I hate pulling up dictionary definitions, but I'm not afraid to again.

It works like this. Anime is a genre of animation. Cartoon is a genre of animation. Just because they both have the same roots does not make them the same thing. Some anime can be cartoon, and some cartoons can be anime, but they are not interchangeable.

EDIT: Isn't this topic a little old?

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Main Entry: animated cartoon
    Function: noun
    Date: 1915
    : a motion picture that is made from a series of drawings, computer graphics, or photographs of inanimate objects (as puppets) and that simulates movement by slight progressive changes in each frame

---

just thought I'd throw that out there =A=
    I feel so ignored

:C

also:

An animated cartoon is a short, hand-drawn (or made with computers to look similar to something hand-drawn) film for the cinema, television or computer screen, featuring some kind of story or plot (even if it is a very short one)

but what do I know? imjust a kid on the internet

Pityflame

Unemployed Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2012
    I hate it more when people confuse cartoon as an anime

*cough* avatar *cough*

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    *sigh* Animation =/= Cartoon. I've already been over this. A cartoon is an animated program not to be taken seriously (mostly comedic in nature, although there are other sorts of cartoons). Anime is animation, not cartoon. I hate pulling up dictionary definitions, but I'm not afraid to again.

Then what the heck is Batman: The Animated Series supposed to be? Or Spectacular Spider-Man or both Justice League cartoons?

Oh wait, I just gave it away, CARTOONS.

I believe Rey's (ReyRey-Pyon) dictionary definition sums it up.

Years
    Because some people are set in their ways, I will make this more visible:

"Anime" is short for "animation", because the Japanese media has always loved to shorten things, and they essentially stole "animation" straight from English. "Cartoons" have always been called "animation" ever since they debuted, and the art style for "anime" stole greatly from early American animation, but Disney in particular. The only differences are country of origin and the budget a studio has to animate. And non-Japanese VAs are way better than most people here give them credit for.

ThePinkDragon

Rawrtastic!
    Years
    Even if someone mistakes anime as entertainment for children - it's true that they are cartoons. They are called anime, because that's what cartoons are called in Japan. Anime = Japanese Cartoon. Difference obviously being that Americans do not really have much in the way of adult cartoons. Which is why so many of us cartoon-lovers find [adult swim] to be a saint. Problem being quite a few shows on their line-up suck and some aren't cartoons [I'm looking at you, Tim & Eric].

Does it make me angry? No. I've been treated like a moron all my life for being a "late bloomer". I have always taken on many traits that cause people to see me as childish. But what do I care? Ha ha. I just don't. :) I enjoy the things I enjoy and I don't care what other people think. My husband and I enjoy acting like little kids on a daily basis! If you have to live your life, live it the way you want and have fun! Don't get angry over silly things like people thinking anime is childish. That's their opinion and it doesn't define you, it defines them.

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    Anime and cartoon are the same thing except for maturity. Anime is basically a Japanese cartoon so really they're saying the same thing. What does it matter if they get it wrong? You're probably going to understand what they mean anyway as you think basically the same type of thing when both words are said: hand drawn pictures that entertain you. Maybe one you think is more childish I'd suppose but they've basically got it down as a thing on your screen that you watch.

As for being bothered about it, me personally not really. It's a thing I watch, I don't really care about the the name of thing, as long as it entertains me (which is easily done I must say) for a period of time. Just watching it is all I want, no point in fussing about the name of it.

Years
    Well, when people say "cartoons" they usually mean "Badly drawn with terrible plots and characters made to entertain little kids who don't know quality", so yeah. I know anime is Japanese cartoons, but with the way the two terms are used in English, it does bother me when people say anime is "cartoons". To me, that's tossing anime in with My Gym Partner's a Monkey and all those other terrible newer Cartoon Network cartoons.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    I consider anime to be a form of cartoon, therefore, I shouldn't get annoyed when people refer to it as a cartoon. As for whether I get annoyed when people refer to it as childish or not, well, I have to say that I do, since the anime I watch and the manga I read are far from childish.

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    The thing that actually bugs me most is that some people make such a big deal about Anime = Cartoon or not. And that some seem to think that if you love one, you can't appreciate another. =/

I refer to Anime as Anime, and to Western Animation as "Tekenfilm/Animatie film" (drawn movie or animated movie). I can't however not stand it when people refer to any of the above as "cartoons", because in my ears, that has a bad connotation. "Cartoon" in my language refers to a drawing that makes fun of things just for fun or to criticize current affairs.
    While I can appreciate the latter, the first connotation makes it seem like it's meaningless and childish. Almost nobody I know refers to "Disney" as "cartoon", but they all call it "Disney film". And the people I know who watch Anime and read Manga call it that way. I guess it's easier to distinguish the two.
    I don't mind if they call it "Animated movies" or "comics", it's just to make the distinction.
    Yes, I'm one of those people that watches more Anime than actual television. Sad? Perhaps. But I can appreciate the humor, action and what-not of the Anime I watch more than the majority of things that are shown on my TV (If I watch TV it's for scientific or quiz programs x) ). But that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate a good (Western) Animated Movie.
    I cried my heart out when watching "Up", I love "The Lion King" and many more… and I cried my heart out when watching "Rurouni Kenshin:Seisouhen", I love "D.Gray-Man" and many more.
    I love Animation, no matter where it comes from <3

But this thread isn't about pro or contra…

Thus I shall end with this:
    It bugs me when people refer to the Anime I watch as "cartoon's/"tekenfilmpkes"", ONLY when the way they say it indicates that they find what I watch childish, inferior.

nkedwards90

As in notebook of chickens?
    Years
    • Age 27
    • TN
    • Seen Nov 25, 2010
    Cartoons = Horrible childishness.
    Anime = Awesome.

See the difference?

So cartoons are for kids except for when they're not? Yeah, totally makes no sense. The same could easily be said of anime.

Notice: "with the exception of".

I guess that is rather true. Considering YuGiOh vs. Death Note is exactly like Spongebob Squarepants vs. South Park.

Last edited:
    Back