• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Things in B/W that irritate you - discussion!

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
    Years
    The length it takes entering builings or a PokéCenter I find really annoying, another thing is when trading through the Union/Wi-Fi room; you are given the option to show three Pokémon each yet you can not trade all three at once.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The length it takes entering builings or a PokéCenter I find really annoying, another thing is when trading through the Union/Wi-Fi room; you are given the option to show three Pokémon each yet you can not trade all three at once.

There are some positives to that though, being able to choose directly from the box and having a choice I guess, since before you didn't really get to choose what Pokemon you wanted. I definitely think we'll be able to trade full parties in the future (some... day?), but I think this is a step in the right direction at least. So idk that doesn't really annoy me, because the actual trading screen is faster then in fourth generation games, so it somewhat makes up for it (aka faster trades!).

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    To add to my previous list of annoyances:

*Having to talk to people every other day in Black City/White Forest to keep them from going bye-bye.
    *When you start the game, it displays the current season every time for a few seconds... almost as if they're trying to announce, "Hey! New Feature!" and shove it down our throats. When I fire up the game, I want to get right to the game, not a black screen with the name of a season on it.
    *The C-Gear tries to start itself up automatically when you load your save file. It should be something you can turn on once you begin playing, not something you have to select "Yes" or "No" for before you even load your save. Even worse is the default is "Yes" when it has limited use and uses more DS battery power.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    To add to my previous list of annoyances:

*Having to talk to people every other day in Black City/White Forest to keep them from going bye-bye.
    *When you start the game, it displays the current season every time for a few seconds... almost as if they're trying to announce, "Hey! New Feature!" and shove it down our throats. When I fire up the game, I want to get right to the game, not a black screen with the name of a season on it.
    *The C-Gear tries to start itself up automatically when you load your save file. It should be something you can turn on once you begin playing, not something you have to select "Yes" or "No" for before you even load your save. Even worse is the default is "Yes" when it has limited use and uses more DS battery power.

Agreed with first but I'm pretty sure that'll be improved by the third game, assuming they have an area like that.

I actually kinda like the feature displaying, it reminds you why everything looks like it does! Though I guess it could stand to only occur when a new season does start. :x

Totally agreed with the third one, or at least have a certain setting in your options you can change in order to set it permanently.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    Several things in B/W annoy me, but one thing that truly makes me angry is that they completely RUINED Wi-Fi Battles, first off, all Pokemon are limited down to level 50, with no "open level", certain moves are banned (Sky Drop comes to mind), and Legendaries are banned as well. yeah they basically turned regular multiplayer battles into the Battle Frontier, making it no fun at all, and then there is the Wonder Launcher. Yeah, Nintendo removed all the fun of Wi-Fi battles and made it into basically a Battle Frontier facility WITH ONLINE MULTIPLAYER! which kinda ruins the entire point of competitive battling.

And then there's the fact that Pikachu cannot be captured anywhere in the game, as well as the fact that there are no pre-Gen 5 Pokemon before getting the National Dex, as well as the lack of evolutions and pre-evolutions to older Pokemon, and don't get me started on the method of obtaining a Zoroark...

Personally, I find this entire generation (asides from the Pokemon introduced in it) to be a major step DOWN from Sinnoh, and for many reasons.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Congratulations on missing the point. I'm sure you managed to struggle through those dreadful, dreadful twenty hours before you could capture and transfer previous generation Pokémon.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I'm just going to write about one or two of the things that annoyed me.

When I first got the game I was sooooo annoyed about the absence of the auto run button, it is such an inconvenience to hold down B when running, and I loved the feature in HGSS. The other thing is the crash when you send out a non-flying Pokemon, that really annoyed me to begin with. I suppose I have gotten used to it, but the noise still irks me. That never happens in the anime (I know the games aren't really based of the anime).

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
    Things that irritated me eh? Let's see:

90% of the new Pokemon
    The story's ending twist
    The title of the games
    Team Plasma (their original goal was a decent story, but the end twist ruined it)
    The way Team Plasma dressed
    When a Plasma member is in didtress, they yell "Plasmaaaaaaaa!"
    Removing shiny chances for certain legendaries
    The games were released on the same generation console as the last generation, instead of waiting a bit for the 3DS
    Only 5th gen Pokemon are available until the game is beaten

I can think of more later.

NeilMarshall4EVER

I love AA
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2011
    Well I have a few problems with this one
    1. ITS STORY IS BLANTLY BORING, Compared to the other generations.
    2. The lack of creativity in the type of pokemon gym leaders use: I mean come on, No Rock type gym leaders? Rock type gym leaders are more 1st gym than fire, water and grass. And no Dark type I am so dissapointed in the lack of creativity in the gym leaders.
    3: The Global Link: Why'd they tear down the GTS site when they obviously could've renamed it.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    It irritates me that Tynamo is just SO AWESOME.
    Every time I see it, I turn off my game by accident because I'm afraid its glory will ruin my DS.

But for realz it bothers me that it learns more attacks than Tackle.

Zet

Years
    Things that irritated me eh? Let's see:

90% of the new Pokemon
    The story's ending twist
    The title of the games
    Team Plasma (their original goal was a decent story, but the end twist ruined it)
    The way Team Plasma dressed
    When a Plasma member is in didtress, they yell "Plasmaaaaaaaa!"
    Removing shiny chances for certain legendaries
    The games were released on the same generation console as the last generation, instead of waiting a bit for the 3DS
    Only 5th gen Pokemon are available until the game is beaten

I can think of more later.
    • because all previous pokemon are fabulous max to you and you're totally original enough to come up with better designs
    • oh noes a game that doesn't end with just you beating the elite 4, how will I ever live with myself? :(
    • Can you think of better titles?
    • Their goal was still the same, the leader just had different ideals. Leader != same goal as grunts
    • They had good fashion sense, and everyone thinks knights are pretty badass looking. Plus it makes sense to have an army serving an lord to dress appropriately.
    • because yelling "oh god oh god oh god, I lost how will I ever live with myself!?" is much better
    • Only 3 legendaries didn't have a shiny chance, because nintendo wanted fat kids like you to get outside and exercise
    • because being forced to upgrade to the 3DS is a big up yours from nintendo. Makes sense to make b/w one of the last DS games ever
    • In a region far far away from Japan, totally means all pokemon should be available to be captured in the wild.

2. The lack of creativity in the type of pokemon gym leaders use: I mean come on, No Rock type gym leaders? Rock type gym leaders are more 1st gym than fire, water and grass. And no Dark type I am so dissapointed in the lack of creativity in the gym leaders.
    3: The Global Link: Why'd they tear down the GTS site when they obviously could've renamed it.
    sounds like you have never even played the game.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    o_O; The other games had pretty much no story, though :(

Rock gym leaders aren't actually creative, since it's something that occurs in most games as the first gym leaders. It was actually creative to have fire/water/grass. Dark, sure we didn't get it now, but at least we got it in the elite four.

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years

• because all previous pokemon are fabulous max to you and you're totally original enough to come up with better designs
    • oh noes a game that doesn't end with just you beating the elite 4, how will I ever live with myself? :(
    • Can you think of better titles?
    • Their goal was still the same, the leader just had different ideals. Leader != same goal as grunts
    • They had good fashion sense, and everyone thinks knights are pretty badass looking. Plus it makes sense to have an army serving an lord to dress appropriately.
    • because yelling "oh god oh god oh god, I lost how will I ever live with myself!?" is much better
    • Only 3 legendaries didn't have a shiny chance, because nintendo wanted fat kids like you to get outside and exercise
    • because being forced to upgrade to the 3DS is a big up yours from nintendo. Makes sense to make b/w one of the last DS games ever
    • In a region far far away from Japan, totally means all pokemon should be available to be captured in the wild.
    Whoa...it's okay to have differing optinions but please, insults are hurtful.

I'm not saying "Hate this game because I'm always right!" I'm just venting my complaints. Calm down.

Also:

1: I didn't say I can come up with better Pokemon, they just shouldn't have made any more.
    2: I was talking about the taking over the world thing. Saving Pokemon from their trainers was a decent plot. But world domination?
    3: Well, it started with color, then metal, then jewels, and now they reverted to black and white. Maybe they could've continued the pattern.
    4: True, but the leader's ideals were too...impossible.
    5: Knights aren't bad, but in this century, it doesn't fit at all.
    6: Maybe something like "No!" for example, not suicidal, just better than "Plasmaaaa!"
    7: That was an unneccesary insult. :( And how does not finding shinies convince people to go outside?
    8: In that logic Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum is also a big up yours from Nintendo. Every new generation is in a newer system.
    9: I didn't say all Pokemon should be available. In fact, other generation Pokemon are available after the story. Why does it have to be like that?

Those are my differing options. I'm not saying you're wrong, these are my reasons for my complaints.

Last edited:

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
    Well, I had a couple, but died down by now:

1. The fact that the Gym Leaders aren't rebattable. Well, they could be in the remake...
    2. Some Pokemon stats top previous generations. I mean, yeah, it's the norm, but I first found some to be outright silly. (Conkeldurr, Haxorus, Chandelure...)
    3. I can't revisit N's glorious castle...
    4. You can't autorun in these games.

Other than that, I feel Game Freak definitely stepped up their game. Now when the remake comes out, i'll be really impressed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    8: In that logic Crystal, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum is also a big up yours from Nintendo. Every new generation is in a newer system.

It's more of a case of bad timing, really. Basically it's because the 3DS was released at such a bad time (less than a year after BW were).

At this point BW has been in development for the DS for years, well before Nintendo publicised their plans to release a new system to anyone. So there's been a lot of time and money invested by Game Freak into making this game, and it's nearly done. If they were to suddenly change it into a 3DS game it would require the project to be put on hold while they sit down and look at how much of the game needs to be changed to fit the differences between making games for the DS and the 3DS - to produce a game that keeps to their high standards this would involve a lot of things being remade.

And that means that suddenly a lot of what they've made so far is deemed unusable and has to be remade from scratch, adding further to the cost of making this game and not really doing much for the spirits of those people who spent months slaving away at graphics and music and stuff that will never see the light of day.

Last edited:

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    It irritates me that Tynamo is just SO AWESOME.
    Every time I see it, I turn off my game by accident because I'm afraid its glory will ruin my DS.

But for realz it bothers me that it learns more attacks than Tackle.
    LOL I love Tynamo but I've never encountered one before. My friend has and he's giving me an egg, but still it'd be cool to see one myself. The thing I find more annoying about that line is Eelektross >__>

ObeyMudkips

Raichupacabra back up
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2017
    The fact that you have to use two DSs to Transfer from Gen IV to Gen V

Zet

Years
    [/LIST]Whoa...it's okay to have differing optinions but please, insults are hurtful.

I'm not saying "Hate this game because I'm always right!" I'm just venting my complaints. Calm down.

Also:

2: I was talking about the taking over the world thing. Saving Pokemon from their trainers was a decent plot. But world domination?
    3: Well, it started with color, then metal, then jewels, and now they reverted to black and white. Maybe they could've continued the pattern.
    7: That was an unnecessary insult. :( And how does not finding shinies convince people to go outside?
    9: I didn't say all Pokemon should be available. In fact, other generation Pokemon are available after the story. Why does it have to be like that?
    2: Looks like you didn't read my 2.
    3. fun fact: black and white aren't colours per say.
    7: video games are now supposed to advise people to go outside and get some fresh air after an hour of game play. If you're wasting your time trying to get a shiny you should be playing games.
    8: And there was a decent amount of time between each handheld release and game release. Also firered and leafgreen.
    9. Would it be fun catching all 649 pokemon from the very start?

Back