• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things Society Thinks About Pokemon that Aren't True

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2019
    1. Pokemon is for kids.
    Seriously?! Did you read like, one Pokedex entry for just about ANY Pokemon?! I'll give you a few. Chandelure-Not sure the exact words but basically says this dude burns your SOUL and proceeds to leave the DEAD CARCASS LYING THERE TO ROT WITHOUT ITS SOUL! God... Phantump-The Pokemon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died in the forest. WHAT?! Oh yeah it's evolution, Trevenant, says this-Using its roots as nerves, it can control the entire forest through its roots. It is very kind to Pokemon that reside in its body. Okay, kind, mobile-home Pokemon, oh wait, forgot about CONTROLLING THE FOREST THROUGH YOUR ROOTS, HAVING THE ABILITY TO TRAP CHILDREN SO THEY DIE, THUS CREATING A LARGE PHANTUMP ARMY?! ONLY FOR THE PHANTUMPS TO EVOLVE INTO TREVENANT, MAKING AN ENDLESS CYCLE OF MURDERED CHILDREN?! Oh, and I haven't even touched Lavender Town, Strange House, Old Chateau, etikuh. Also, keep in mind Cyrus wanted to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE, and recreate it in his image. And Lysandre wanted to revive a 3000 year-old ultimate weapon, and KILL EVERYBODY NOT PART OF HIS SYNDICATE, INCLUDING POKEMON, IN MASS GENOCIDE.
    2. It's a really simple game.
    Okay, it can be. But the beauty of it is that it's simple enough for casual players to enjoy, and complex enough for hardcore gamers. I'm no video game developer, but I think creating a game like that is hard to do. The game can range from picking an attack and sending out type advantages, while catching every Pokemon you see, to endlessly breeding new Pokemon for good IVs, egg moves, and then EV training them in the easiest way possible for your competitive team.
    I can only really think of 2 misconceptions, so post on here anything else society thinks about Pokemon that isn't true.
    So yeah,
    TheEmpoleonMaster

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • Well, I still kinda think Pokemon is geared towards kids, however they add features that other people would enjoy as well to open up the game for everyone. If it wasn't geared towards kids, you wouldn't be 10 years old at the start of every game.

Also, it is pretty simplistic, but they added EVs and stuff so that if you are experienced you could do other things that make it less simplistic. However, the main series itself is pretty basic.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • The Pokemon series can be enjoyed by many people, regardless of age. It can be both simplistic and complex depending on how you want to play it, that´s the beauty of it. In my opinion people who say the series is only meant for children are ignorant. Sure, its geared towards children, but as those children grow, they will discover that there is really more to Pokemon than just beating the game.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • Pokemon isn't for kids or adults, its for collectors. What always bothered me was when people would say it was violent. I always tried to get the parents who said that to actually play my game as a kid. I was unsuccessful 100% of the time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    Well, I still kinda think Pokemon is geared towards kids, however they add features that other people would enjoy as well to open up the game for everyone. If it wasn't geared towards kids, you wouldn't be 10 years old at the start of every game.

Isn't the main character in X and Y 15 at the beginning of the game?

I'm extremely annoyed by the misconception that "Gamefreak ran out of ideas for new Pokemon". Seriously, every generation has good and bad Pokemon designs. Just because some people played only generation 1, and are now experiencing nostalgia and anger because so many things have changed since gen 1 gave birth to this misconception.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I still have no understanding of why people believe Pokemon is a kids' game. I mean, look at how much depth there is to all the game mechanics. Natures, IV's, EV's, stats, breeding, etc. Why would they include such complex mechanics in a game that's intended for kids? What 10 year old is going to understand and/or care about how to breed for perfect IV's, or have the patience to EV train?

I got into Pokemon when I was 10 years old, and all me and my friends did was use our starters and spam the same attack throughout the entire game. We barely even knew stats existed, let alone EV's, IV's, or base stats. So clearly the level of depth and detail that the developers put into Pokemon would be wasted on a game intended exclusively for children.

AshtheIVth

I want Kingdom Hearts 3 now!!
    Years
  • Isn't the main character in X and Y 15 at the beginning of the game?

I'm extremely annoyed by the misconception that "Gamefreak ran out of ideas for new Pokemon". Seriously, every generation has good and bad Pokemon designs. Just because some people played only generation 1, and are now experiencing nostalgia and anger because so many things have changed since gen 1 gave birth to this misconception.

I am probably the exact kind of pokeplayer you are mentioning, ignorant as i may be, i really do feel they are maybe not running out of ideas, but are tired of inventing new ones thusly becoming less and less creative. I mean if anyone had to make 700+ different creatures and categorize them into certain types with certain abilities, it would become tiring real quickly. So on one hand i understand BUT, i am disappointed by a pokemon that looks like ice cream, or a candle, or a weird knock off of pikachu with a different type (Dedenne or Emolga). Now with that being said, I'm not saying they are useless pokemon, I just think that it the creators are low on imagination and its only a matter of time before we get a pokemon based on another ridiculous object, i.e. a shovel, or a car, or a piece of paper even. Like i said, i may be a little ignorant, but people who share my opinion just want to know where the creativity is, thats all.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2019
    The Pokemon series can be enjoyed by many people, regardless of age. It can be both simplistic and complex depending on how you want to play it, that´s the beauty of it. In my opinion people who say the series is only meant for children are ignorant. Sure, its geared towards children, but as those children grow, they will discover that there is really more to Pokemon than just beating the game.

Amen, brother. I definitely agree.

Reactions: pyx

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
  • I still have no understanding of why people believe Pokemon is a kids' game. I mean, look at how much depth there is to all the game mechanics. Natures, IV's, EV's, stats, breeding, etc. Why would they include such complex mechanics in a game that's intended for kids? What 10 year old is going to understand and/or care about how to breed for perfect IV's, or have the patience to EV train?

I got into Pokemon when I was 10 years old, and all me and my friends did was use our starters and spam the same attack throughout the entire game. We barely even knew stats existed, let alone EV's, IV's, or base stats. So clearly the level of depth and detail that the developers put into Pokemon would be wasted on a game intended exclusively for children.

I sometimes think of it as a strategy game with the actual pokemon are there to look cool and use the moves.

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • I sometimes think of it as a strategy game with the actual pokemon are there to look cool and use the moves.

Um.

That's exactly what it is.

You don't "sometimes think"- that's precisely it.

Same with any strategy game.

We could play chess with balls of lint, lightbulbs, and dildos- but we use the pieces for aesthetic purposes.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • I am probably the exact kind of pokeplayer you are mentioning, ignorant as i may be, i really do feel they are maybe not running out of ideas, but are tired of inventing new ones thusly becoming less and less creative. I mean if anyone had to make 700+ different creatures and categorize them into certain types with certain abilities, it would become tiring real quickly. So on one hand i understand BUT, i am disappointed by a pokemon that looks like ice cream, or a candle, or a weird knock off of pikachu with a different type (Dedenne or Emolga). Now with that being said, I'm not saying they are useless pokemon, I just think that it the creators are low on imagination and its only a matter of time before we get a pokemon based on another ridiculous object, i.e. a shovel, or a car, or a piece of paper even. Like i said, i may be a little ignorant, but people who share my opinion just want to know where the creativity is, thats all.

Maybe they throw those pokemon in on purpose, to...to... I don't know, give us pokemon to bash?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Here are a few misconceptions that reaaally bug me.

1) Pokemon is ONLY for Kids: This has been discussed already, so i wont comment too much on it. Although the game is directed at kids, i hate how people judge us "older" fans for still enjoying the game...but then everyone plays candy crush, which apparently IS an adult game? Ok, yeah right.

2) GF is running out of ideas/All new Pokemon suck: Just because the newer Pokemon might not surprise us as much as before, doesnt mean they are unoriginal. Objects turned Pokemon are a thing since Gen I, and for all the Garbodor haters out there, remember grimer/Muk has been around since forever.

3) There is toooo many Pokemon to keep up with the games: Yes, there is a whole bunch of them, but where does it say that you need to know all of them with their stats, attacks and so on to have a good time?? Isnt that the beauty of the games? To have such a large roster of monsters/animals to chose from, raise and get to know? At least thats it for me.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • Um.

That's exactly what it is.

You don't "sometimes think"- that's precisely it.

Same with any strategy game.

We could play chess with balls of lint, lightbulbs, and dildos- but we use the pieces for aesthetic purposes.

I'm not a huge fan of chess, but if someone asked me "Do you want to play chess with dildos?" I'd be all over that.

I wonder how many people feel that way about pokemon.

Years
  • Yeah a lot of my friends think that I am too old for Pokemon since the games are "for kids" and I am 19 - but than again - some parts of the games are just creepy (Ghosts in lavender town/mansion/x and y) and some pokedex entries are just scary/awful (Hypno for example or that beautifly that you thought it was cute- it likes to suck the body fluids out of it's pray according to some pokedex entries) so nope Pokemon is defenitely not just the kids games but they can be played by any generation.

Back