• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things that never made sense in Pokemon

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    I thought about this when I was replaying XY recently... before Santalune, you battle a bunch of preschoolers. Ignoring the fact that they have Pokemon already and also ignoring the fact that they are just hanging out by the road unsupervised, talking to passing strangers -- they are also there if you're playing at like 2am, like I was.

Parents in the Pokemon universe are SO irresponsible.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • You can store Animals as data in a Pokeball. You can store Pokemon on the PC as data. You can deliver solid items over the internet. (presumably to avoid wild encounters)

BUT STILL you have to pick up Oak's Parcel and the Egg to Mr. Pokemon.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Three things:

1. Why do they call Mr. Mime Mr. Mime when they can be female. Should of just called them Mime.

2. How is Jynx male... (ok... I can see how, but let's not get into that)

1. I explained it a while back in this post. Basically, since genders didn't exist in GenI, the localization team took certain liberties that couldn't be retconned after the gender was introduced in GenII.

2. Jynx is an all-female species, so I don't even know what you're getting at. o_0;

Years
  • I always found it really interesting how Pokémon gym leaders never changed – what exactly is the process to become a gym leader? Can a normal trainer be eligible to become a gym leader?

Aiden Blue

Cincinnati's Trainer
    Years
  • I just don't get the concept of being SO confused, that you hit yourself! If I were confuzzled, I would simply sit down, and try to grasp the situation.

Also, wtf is up with people mistaking Suduwoodo for a TREE?!

I still don't get how Aliens crash land on earth, spawn off spring, and then we in turn, we don't except the truth that there is Intelligent life forms out there, and consider them equal, we call them POKEMON! WTF?

Talon

[font=Cambria]Hidden From Mind[/font]
    Years
  • - In X/Y, how do pokemon push those giant rocks? I don't get it.
    - How come certain pokemon will only appear after you defeat the E4? I mean, do they just not exist until then?
    - Why do trainers sit around all day and night, looking for YOU.
    - How can you no climb up those tiny little ledges?
    - Do you ever eat? Or are just eternal, and don't need to eat?
    - How do you fly on a Pidgey or Murkrow?
    - How can a Lv13 Pidgeotto exist? (FALKNER. I'm talking to you.)
    - When you go underwater, do you just sort of breathe water?
    - Why won't any Pokemon use HMs unless you have one certain badge?
    - How do Pokemon die? There are graves in the games, but how do they die?
    - What happens if a fainted Pokemon is continuously attacked? Is that how they die?
    - How does Doduo fly?
    - How do some Pokemon surf?
    - Where do gym leaders get the idea that using 1 type and 1 type only is a great idea?
    - Why do lower leveled gym leaders use such weak pokemon? When you lose battles, don't there Pokemon gain EXP? How do they never level up?
    - Why is my character in the exact same spot as he was when I last saved? What does he do? Just stand there? Like a trainer?
    - Why do certain characters move in small preset paths, never changing? Running endlessly in a circle? Sounds fun! ....
    - Why can't you wipe the sand out your eyes?
    - How does wagging a tail or cutely growl make you take more damage? And how does howling make you do more?
    - How does Ash never age? (Ok, I actually have an answer to this, but I'll explain that later, in some different post.)
    - How do the tears of Pokemon back to life?
    - How exactly do PCs and Pokeballs work?
    - Why can a Master Ball be made once, and only once?
    - Why don't they just produce all pokeballs as Ultra or Master balls?
    - How can Diglett learn cut?
    - Why don't we have dads, except in 1 region?
    - Why can a Wailord not just, like, fall on Pokemon to KO them?
    - Why is Wailord so big, and fit into a pokeball. For that matter, how do any pokemon fit into them?
    - What do they do in them?

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    - Why is my character in the exact same spot as he was when I last saved? What does he do? Just stand there? Like a trainer?
    - How exactly do PCs and Pokeballs work?
    - Why can a Master Ball be made once, and only once? Why don't they just produce all pokeballs as Ultra or Master balls?
    - Why is Wailord so big, and fit into a pokeball. For that matter, how do any pokemon fit into them?

most of those questions i can answer but theres only a few i wanna answer/respond to.

1. what if your character BECOMES a trainer when you save and quit? trainerception

2. digitizing.

3. because the company that makes pokeballs realized master balls are too op and would make catching pokemon WAY too easy for everyone. the one masterball you get is the finished version that they realized was too op and decided not to mass produce. as for ultra balls trainers like variety. there are other pokeballs that can have the same or even better effectiveness as ultras but look different and appeal to different people and pokemon (quick and luxury for example)

4.see #2.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    most of those questions i can answer but theres only a few i wanna answer/respond to.

because the company that makes pokeballs realized master balls are too op and would make catching pokemon WAY too easy for everyone. the one masterball you get is the finished version that they realized was too op and decided not to mass produce. as for ultra balls trainers like variety. there are other pokeballs that can have the same or even better effectiveness as ultras but look different and appeal to different people and pokemon (quick and luxury for example)

I always thought it was more like making a Master Ball is rather expensive and difficult to do, so PokeBall companies aren't able to make very many of them.

PokeGeisha

Breeder and CompetitiveTrainer
    Years
  • I think Gyrados will always bother me xD I love him but the fact that he can't learn HM Fly irritates me x.x

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I've always wondered what Pokemon do inside Pokeballs. Whenever they're sent out, they usually look ready to go (there have been exceptions xD). How do they know they're gunna be called out? Do they live in there with a way to sleep? A way to eat?

Years
  • - How can fire pokemon battle underwater/on the water without fainting?
    - How can you dig in the ocean/dive on the land/surf on the land during the battle?
    - How can certain pokemon fit in the pokeball and how can you carry that pokeball than considering that wailord, groudon and kyogre are really really heavy?
    - You are in the house and somebody challenges you to a battle - you choose wailord - how come the house you are in doesn't get demolished since that thing is really big and heavy?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Thought of another one. How can Pokemon like Slowbro, Parasect, Dugtrio, Tyranitar, Slaking, Aggron, Groudon, etc use Aerial Ace? Can you imagine one of those Pokemon doing Aerial Ace? Cuz I can't.

Scandalice

now known as Sukyandaru
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2015
    Steel Wing on Elgyem/Beheeyem is pretty strange.

Also, gender-changing Azurill doesn't make sense (but it's because of the different gender ratios).

Years
  • What may have forced Agatha and Lorelei to vacate their positions in the Elite Four?This might explain.We all know that Red defeated Blue the previous champion of the Indigo Elite Four and became the strongest trainer in the Kanto region.Years passed with no trainer being able to defeat him and he became bored with the monotony of a champion's life.Blue, on the other hand had left for Kalos to continue his research on Pokemon.Agatha realised she was growing old and Lorelei wanted to protect her homeland from Team Rocket invasions.Thus, these two veteran members vacated their posts-Lorelei returned to her native place while Agatha took charge of the Viridian city gym temporarily till a substitute was found.The Indigo Elite Four was thus short of two members.Red,indifferent to the situation,left for Mount Silver to continue his training..something he had been yearning to do for years.Lance and Bruno realised that the region was in need of a new Elite Four.Lance returned to his homeland,the neighbouring Johto region in search of competent trainers.Meanwhile Bruno managed to persuade Koga that a person of his skill and experience was needed in the elite Four and that this would be a chance for Koga's daughter,Janine to shine as a Gym Leader.She had spent years training under her father..it was time for her skills to be put to test.Lance and the protagonist of Gen 2-Ethan/Kris/Lyra managed to successfully thwart the efforts of Team Rocket trying to revive itself in the Johto region.Team Rocket having been disbanded,two of its members,Karen and Will expressed their wish to make a fresh start in life as honest citizens.Lance found their battling skills impressive and realised that they were perfect candidates for his Elite Four.Thus a new Elite Four was organised at Indigo Plateau with Lance as champion.Red ignored these changes and continued his efforts to sharpen his battling skills at Mount Silver.The Johto protagonist-Ethan/Kris/Lyra eventually defeats the newly founded Elite Four ,faces Red at Indigo Plateau and wins against him.In Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen Versions it's revealed that Lorelei grew up on Floe Island. Lorelei returns to her home to protect the Icefall Cave from Team Rocket.She realises that it is vulnerable to attack and decides to stay behind to shield it from further harm. In pokemon X and Y,the lady in one of the Lumiose pokecenter does mention that Blue has visited the region.She said that he had learned some french but still ended his conversations with "smell ya later!"Agatha had been the interim gym leader of Viridian City gym(accounting for her appearance in the anime as the leader of the gym).Perhaps,soon after this, Blue served as the Viridian City gym leader for some time during the Crystal and HG/SS period...but soon he started finding the life of a gym leader boring.He sought adventure and wanted to explore new lands.So he vacates his post and asks Agatha to resume her position as Gym leader which she happily does as she has had enough of adventure and wants to dedicate the rest of her life to rearing competent pokemon for battle.It is during this period that Blue ventures for the distant land of Kalos-as an explorer. His appearance at the pokemon world tournament in Black and White 2 merely suggests that he was invited to participate,like Red.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Nidoqueen & Nidoking can't breed. I've been questioning this ever since I started playing Pokemon lol.

Its actually Nidorina and Nidoqueen. Which may actually be more questionable..especially considering NidoranF can breed.

My thoughts:
    - Just Diglett in general. But, I've seen pictures that suggest that its a mole with its hands underground, definitely the most likely explanation.
    - Pokemon sizes. They. Don't. Make. Sense.
    - How the hell is AZ still alive? Not sure if its actually mentioned in the story.

Back