• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you never noticed?

AniRain

Goddess of Storms
Years
  • I'm just curious to hear about what people noticed or not.
    Personally it took me a while but I noticed the anagrams and such with the Berries eg Cheri berry is actually a Cherry, ChestoBerry is a Chestnut etc etc I mean some were kinda obvious (like the Pinap berry and the Razz berry) but some not so much.
    Another one is when I saw the picture of the Fire Starters being linked with the Chinese Zodiac, I didn't know about that... So I'm just curious to hear about things in-game and out that everyone else had noticed/figured out/learned.

Thanks for your time, CitrusLinkz
    Spoiler:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Just saw the other day that Jessie's hair makes her body make an R shape.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Just saw the other day that Jessie's hair makes her body make an R shape.

Haha!

It took me a long time to notice that there were people in G/S/C who handed out stuff on a weekly basis :p Handy!

Also, that the legendary birds and beasts are named One, Two, Three really.

ArticUNO, ZapDOS, MolTRES. Spanish, right?

SuicUNE ("une", french), RaikOU ("two", english), EntEI ("drei", german).

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Also, that the legendary birds and beasts are named One, Two, Three really.

OMFG that is sooo cool. Isn't it pretty awesome?

It took a while (though maybe not for you) for me to realise the difference in spelling out 'Parlyz Heal'. For a while I thought 'twas Paralyze heal.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Also, that the legendary birds and beasts are named One, Two, Three really.

Cool, it also took me a bit to realise that there's also Deino (1 in German), Zweilous
    (2 in German), and Hydreigon (3 in German!)
    Also, as Deino evolves, the number in its name symbolises both the stage of evolution, and the number of heads the Pokemon now has.

Years
  • How would I know if I never noticed them?

One thing that took me forever to learn was when Pokemon first hit the States and was brought about by me taking the in-game directions a little too literal.

On Route 1, there's a character who explains how to jump off ledges. His exact quote is "See the low ledge over there? It's a bit scary but you can jump from them! Use them to get back to Pallet Town!"

I literally took that to mean that all ledges are designed to get you back to Pallet Town, and I thought this up until last year when I finally replayed the games....give me a break, I was 7

AniRain

Goddess of Storms
    Years
  • Just saw the other day that Jessie's hair makes her body make an R shape.

Haha, I never really noticed this one until now, nice one! :D

All the Grass starters, except for Chespin, are based on reptiles. That's all I have for now.

I never knew that either... I googled it up and it said that they were based of pre-historic creatures and Chespin is the first mammal.

I never noticed Hitmontop had three legs. Seriously, you don't expect humanoids to have three legs and in 3D games it's always spinning fairly fast so it's hard to see. If I did notice it I thought it was a shorter tail. Maybe that's why it learns triple kick...

Hm, not all that sure on this one - I mean in all the drawings I see on Google, it looks like a tail to me... It just has the one spike thing but his feet have two more - which aren't on his tail/foot. But then again, it might use that tail/foot as a third foot - which is why it could learn triple kick.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    All the Grass starters, except for Chespin, are based on reptiles. That's all I have for now.
    Oh! I actually didn't notice that. A bit strange, considering we've got both chickens and monkeys and more as fire types, and otters and penguins and stuff as water types. Chespin is a nice, fresh breeze then.

One thing that took me forever to learn was when Pokemon first hit the States and was brought about by me taking the in-game directions a little too literal.

On Route 1, there's a character who explains how to jump off ledges. His exact quote is "See the low ledge over there? It's a bit scary but you can jump from them! Use them to get back to Pallet Town!"

I literally took that to mean that all ledges are designed to get you back to Pallet Town, and I thought this up until last year when I finally replayed the games....give me a break, I was 7
    Hahah, that is too adorable.

I never noticed Hitmontop had three legs. Seriously, you don't expect humanoids to have three legs and in 3D games it's always spinning fairly fast so it's hard to see. If I did notice it I thought it was a shorter tail. Maybe that's why it learns triple kick...
    Whaaat? It has?

Hm, not all that sure on this one - I mean in all the drawings I see on Google, it looks like a tail to me... It just has the one spike thing but his feet have two more - which aren't on his tail/foot. But then again, it might use that tail/foot as a third foot - which is why it could learn triple kick.
    Yeah, a tail, that's what I think at least.

But I can surely understand how someone could think it was a third leg. That would have been pretty cool. Gosh, Hitmontop is really cute, that's another thing I never really noticed.

Years
  • I never noticed that the towns in Kanto were all named after colors. I knew that for Cerulean, Lavender, and Fuchsia, but the rest I assumed were spices (like Saffron) and/or plants.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I never noticed that the towns in Kanto were all named after colors. I knew that for Cerulean, Lavender, and Fuchsia, but the rest I assumed were spices (like Saffron) and/or plants.

Yeah, it took me a while too ^^ And after that, I realized that all the cities in a region were named after a special theme. At least in the beginning.

Kanto has colors.

Johto has things related to trees (Bark, Teak, Wood, Rod, Mahogany).

Hoenn... that one is tricky but I think it's mostly different kinds of landscapes or places (Ford, Dale, Burg, Cove).

okay I actually haven't figured out the rest. But it would be nice if I could find the connecting factor to their names!

Years
  • Yeah, it took me a while too ^^ And after that, I realized that all the cities in a region were named after a special theme. At least in the beginning.

Kanto has colors.

Johto has things related to trees (Bark, Teak, Wood, Rod, Mahogany).

Hoenn... that one is tricky but I think it's mostly different kinds of landscapes or places (Ford, Dale, Burg, Cove).

okay I actually haven't figured out the rest. But it would be nice if I could find the connecting factor to their names!
    Hoenn and Sinnoh have some loose tying themes- Hoenn combines nature and place names, while Sinnoh tries to capture a city's feel in its name (Jubilife is a jubilant city, Solaceon is a quiet/relaxing place of solace, Eterna is a city that embraces history, etc.). As for Unova, the cities/towns there are named after cloud formations.

And seeing Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres brought up earlier, there were a few facts I learned about them just the other day. One is that Zapdos' sprites have never shown it in a standing position, but both Moltres and Articuno have been seen that way multiple times. The other fact was that any time Moltres has shown up in a game or set of games, it shows up in a different location each time (Victory Road in RBY, Mt. Ember in FRLG, Mt. Silver in HGSS, and roaming Sinnoh in Platinum). Both of them struck as interesting facts I hadn't really thought of before.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • It took me a bit to notice Snover was a Frost Tree...I grew up through Gen IV thinking it was an iceberg or something ;~;

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    It took me a bit to notice Snover was a Frost Tree...I grew up through Gen IV thinking it was an iceberg or something ;~;
    Also it's based off a yeti, isn't it?

What I heard just the other day made me giggle. HitmonLEE and HitmonCHAN. They are based on Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. That is just hilarious.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
  • I've never thought about this until just now, I used waterfall to reach an isolated spot in Victory Road on my Pearl Version where I fought a Dragon Tamer with only a Gabite which can't learn Waterfall or Surf... I never noticed that NPC's can bypass the HM system! :P

chronuswing

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2013
    I didn't realize the Pokemon were named after actual things for awhile when I first started playing... And half the things you guys said as well. :o

Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2015
    There are a bunch of talking Pokemon in the games, not just the anime. In RBY, Copycat's Doduo talks a little, the Marowak ghost can talk, and Bill's Pokemon form talks. In GSC/HGSS, Team Rocket's Murkrow tells you the password for the door in Mahogany Town. In XD there is a machine that translates Poke-speech. Then there's Chatot with its Chatter, and presumably the man in the Harbor Inn is an illusion by Darkrai, which means Darkrai talks. In Lostlorn Forest in B2W2 a Zoroark appears as a backpacker and talks to you before dispelling the illusion and leaving.

(Oh, btw, thanks, Bulbapedia! https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Talking_Pokemon#In_the_games )

Back