• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things you thought about Poke'mon, that now you realize were wrong

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
The biggest one is probably having gone all the way up till 2012 thinking Lugia was Water/Flying, only to realize it was Psychic instead of Water. I mean seriously, the guardian of the sea isn't even a Water type? C'mon >:[
I never understood while Lugia wasn't part Water either.

Also, I used to think Torkoal was a Fire/Rock type. But its really only Fire type.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 9, 2014
I always used to think that Poison was weak to Ice because I'd always imagine Grimer and Muk getting frozen really easily. And sometimes I forget that Electric is weak against Grass and that causes me to slip up more times than I care to admit.

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
I always thought Dunsparce evolved into Gligar.

And- when Gold/Silver first came out- I though Pinsir evolved into Heracross. Scyther got Scizor- so I didn't understand why its counterpart wouldn't get an evo as well.

That's actually a great point Scyther - Scizor Pinsir - Heracross I mean, they're both based on beetles with large horns/mandables on their heads.

AKPorcupine

Yes, Follow the Light...
Years
I always used to think that Poison was weak to Ice because I'd always imagine Grimer and Muk getting frozen really easily. And sometimes I forget that Electric is weak against Grass and that causes me to slip up more times than I care to admit.

Wtf, electric is weak to grass?! That makes no sense at all O.o

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
Wtf, electric is weak to grass?! That makes no sense at all O.o

To be fair, grass resists electric...and at least for me, when I was a kid, I assumed defensive strengths equate to offensive strength as well. XD

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I used to think Parasect was cool. Then I realised it's the dead corpse of your cute little Paras, taken over by a parasitic fungus that now controls its every move. Gg childhood memories.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I used to think Parasect was cool. Then I realised it's the dead corpse of your cute little Paras, taken over by a parasitic fungus that now controls its every move. Gg childhood memories.

I didn't believe you at first, so I looked Parasect up on Bulbapedia.

...Holy ♥♥♥♥, you were right. Parasect is now a creepy little bastard in my book. Gotta love how Pokemon occasionally pulls creepy stuff like that.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
Besides the obvious mispronounciation problems, as a kid i had a really "unique" way to determine type weaknesses and strengths. For example, i thought that using a fire attack on lets say a Pidgey had to be super-effective, because its feathers would catch fire...oh yeah, how wrong i was.

Years
I always misspelled certain pokemon and I still do so - I cannot really help it. Also when I started playing I thought that you have to pick fire starter otherwise you cannot beat the game xD (Yeah, I know I was silly)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
I still have to look up the spelling of Feraligatr and Venusaur whenever I want to speak about them.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I used to think the type effectiveness was different than it is. I thought if one type was super effective against another type that automatically meant it resisted the type it was super effective against. I also couldn't wrap my mind around some types being super effective against themselves, I thought all types resisted themselves.

Years
When I first ever played Pokemon Red, a few of my Pokemon became over-leveled and wouldn't obey me. For the life of me, I could not figure out why and tried everything like using potions on them, healing them, evolving them, fighting more wild Pokemon - pretty much everything except from getting the next gym badge... I must have been quite a slow child, seeing as a few NPCs even explained that Pokemon wont obey you if you don't have the correct badge xD

I also mispronounced Gyarados, including "Y" as a normal Y sound o.o I used to call Ho-oh "Ho-ho" :P ... I was only 7 though. There was a kid at my school who called Fuchsia City "Fu-ch-is-a City". It made even me cringe when he said it >.<

Years
When I was a little kid I thought "Charizard" was pronounced "Char-zard" and also thought "Pikachu" was pronounced "Picka-chu" ahahaha :P

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I thought rock types were immune to electric type attacks up until about a month ago. I always had a grass type in my party just in case there were the rock/water or ground/water type pokemon.

Years
1. Case
Ugh, alright. Just few months ago I actually was shocked by a particular discovery. Dunsparce. For 10+ years, I always thought "Such a cute little guy, laying on his back with no visible mouth and cute winged arms."
And then, few months ago I was going through some Pokemon Cards artwork, and I stumbled upon one of his cards....

MYT047.jpg

BAM, wait, that thing on it's head, that's his mouth?
BAM, those are not little head horns?!
BAM, Wait, so he wasn't laying on his back all this time, and those strips are not his belly?!!
BAM, Wait, those are not his arms?!?!
WHAT?

Long story short, I cant see unseen, and in the same time, I cant imagine him not being on his back. So I still see him the way I did before and basically I cant register him the way everyone else does xD

2. Case
Also, just like the Zorogami, I had unique ways of determining weaknesses. I always applied some logic into battles. "How the hell is this small Shellder beating my huge Ground Pokemon with some water drops?!" etc. :D

3. Case
Another one.
"I wish Carvanha had an evolution, it'd be so cool. Also, I wonder how come they never made a preevolution for Sharpedo. And isn't it funny how they both have stars on their body. So funny."

200+ hours of gameplay later, and about 5 years after finishing the game.

"I'm stupid."

4. Case

I never know how to lighten up dark caves.
I restarted the game several times as a kid because of this.

5. Case

I never realized how awesome Poochyena looked like cos of weird R/S/E artwork :L, until I started Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games.

6. Case

Trapinch. I never knew what it evoles into. And I never knew what Flygon evolved from. hah

7. Case

Pretty much the whole Hoenn story. It was my first game and I was like 12-13 and had no idea how to play it so it took me some time to connect dots. I loved it nevertheless.

I won't even talk about name pronunciation. I called most Pokemon wrong, but mostly cos of my language. Everyone else I knew did as well :D

Back