• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Third Version/Sequels?

Years
    It's really early to even be considering this but after what Generation 6 did (not having a third version or a sequel to XY and instead going straight to ORAS) it got me thinking. What do you guys think will happen after SM? Will Game Freak decide to round things off with a third version or introduce something new with sequels? Or maybe break another tradition and revisit Kalos?

Personally, I think we'll see sequels to Sun and Moon, the Alola region offers a lot of potential and Game Freak could simply add new islands whilst altering the old ones. Perhaps one of the volcanoes erupted and now an entire island is destroyed, I think there would be a place for sequels to SM and would like to see how the region and story is changed.

Whatever your ideas are I'd love to hear them :)

blue

gucci
    Years
    It is hard to speculate what will follow from these games due to the fact that we still know so little and there has been no real pattern for game releases for the past two generations. If I had to guess though then I'd say a prequel. The sucess of BW2 would indicate that it would be the best move to follow up from Sun & Moon, but because a sequel has already been done then a prequel would be the most viable option imo. Last generation we got remakes in place of a sequel/third game and as I highly doubt we'll get another set of remakes for the 3DS, a prequel is the most likely follow-up. I'm positive there will be some sort of mainseries game after Sun & Moon, I mean they're not exactly just going to have two games for generation VII and then leave another two years empty without any further releases.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    This is actually interesting and I haven't considered prequels as a possibility...it'd certainly be a super interesting route to go; playing the original game and then its prequel afterwards. It can definitely explain some things about how Team Evil in S&M came to be; it can also go into a bit more lore about Solgaleo and Lunaala seeing as you would be playing a character in an earlier time period of Alola.

I know for sure than when we start seeing NPCs referring to a past trainer that might have beaten them, or start referring to some sort of nameless mysterious really powerful trainer before, that may be a huge hint. :x
    XY had moments like that, as such I expected Z to be a prequel if not a classic third. Hmm, maybe SM are XY prequels. The reverse of GS.

Anyways I'm expecting prequels for SM if they aren't already prequels to XY that is. Perhaps Solgaleo and Lunaala were one Pokémon that got split into two halves at the end of a prequel story. To make it different from the Original Dragon they could make the legend be split in two, instead of three. It could get Solgaleo's body and Lunaala's color and wings.

Or maybe Solgaleo and Lunaala have counterparts based on the Black Sun (alchemy symbol) and New Moon.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    I reallyreallyreallyreallyreally want a Sinnoh remake but the chances for a Sinnoh Remake is quite slim due to the gap between HGSS and ORAS was 5 years. But at the same time, having a third game for SM seems really cool so far from it's graphics and intriguing plot.
    SO, I would absolutely LOVE if they do something like in HGSS, where you can explore Kanto post game, except in SM's sequel, you can explore Sinnoh post game. That'll just make the Sinnoh remake's and SM's sequel's demands all-in-one.
    I feel like SM and Sinnoh would be a good pair together because of their lore/mythology. (The Sun & Moon are in Space right? Space->Palkia 4TH GEN CONFIRMED XD)

Years
    If I had to guess though then I'd say a prequel.

That would be really interesting, perhaps we'd get to see the origins of the evil team and more of the region being uninhabited, due to the fact that it would be set in the past and the island setting.

Last edited:
    Years
    SO, I would absolutely LOVE if they do something like in HGSS, where you can explore Kanto post game, except in SM's sequel, you can explore Sinnoh post game. That'll just make the Sinnoh remake's and SM's sequel's demands all-in-one.

Considering Sinnoh is an island of its own, (according to Serebii anyway) in theory the islands that make up Alola could be placed right next to it, allowing for a simple boatride to somewhere like Canalave city. Although it seems possible, it would be unlikely as we've just revisited Hoenn in the last games and I can't see Game Freak throwing Sinnoh into Sun and Moon which is a completely new entry to the series.

Years
    Considering Sinnoh is an island of its own, (according to Serebii anyway) in theory the islands that make up Alola could be placed right next to it, allowing for a simple boatride to somewhere like Canalave city. Although it seems possible, it would be unlikely as we've just revisited Hoenn in the last games and I can't see Game Freak throwing Sinnoh into Sun and Moon which is a completely new entry to the series.
    Yeah, Sinnoh takes up most of the island based on Hokkaido (Japan). Alola will be the third full region based on an island or more. Like a third of Unova is long island, while Kanto and Johto are both based on Honshu island ('mainland' Japan). As such Kalos is the most continental region thus far. That explains it's huge size.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    yeah true, but I can cream right? xD

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Sinnoh remakes could be cool, as long as they aren't too easy. I'm not sure about a prequel... :/

Years
    I'm mostly with Blue here, since it appears third versions are dead I'm likely betting on a sequel pair like B2/W2, or as he also said, a prequel could make for an interesting twist. But then, Game Freak always loves to catch us off-guard so it's hard to predict.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    It's hard to say anything with confidence after the 6th generation threw the idea of a third version or sequels out the window.

We could see them but we could just easily spend our time waiting on something that'll never come.

Although I want to say that if we're not getting Sinnoh remakes they'll probably want to release something else during this gen...

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    I think a new visit to Sinnoh would be better. Instead of a simple remake (since some people are so sure that we won't get any more remakes) and a simple third version (since other people are so sure we won't get normal third versions ever again), a Gen 7 story set in Sinnoh would be cool. It'd be an original story that would connect to Alola somehow and maybe serve as a semi-sequel to to Gen IV, but it wouldn't be just a rehash of the Team Galactic story.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    So what you're saying is moreso a Gen VII version of Sinnoh? That'd definitely be an interesting turn of events; I would've liked to see what happened to Cyrus and see if he restructured Team Galactic or if they disbanded and another evil team took their place.
    Yeah, something like that. Or more accurately to what I originally had in mind: a Generation VII sequel to Sun/Moon (so the story is a direct result of what happens in Sun/Moon) but with the setting of Sinnoh. However, a Diamond/Pearl/Platinum direct sequel that just happens to be Gen VII would also work! I don't think the only way to revisit a past region is by a remake. It would show a nice connection between games, regions, and generations. It wouldn't be a traditional sequel or third version, but we'd get both another version to the generation as well as revisiting a region that plenty of people want to go back to and a new story that's not a rehash.

Years
    Yeah, something like that. Or more accurately to what I originally had in mind: a Generation VII sequel to Sun/Moon (so the story is a direct result of what happens in Sun/Moon) but with the setting of Sinnoh. However, a Diamond/Pearl/Platinum direct sequel that just happens to be Gen VII would also work! I don't think the only way to revisit a past region is by a remake. It would show a nice connection between games, regions, and generations. It wouldn't be a traditional sequel or third version, but we'd get both another version to the generation as well as revisiting a region that plenty of people want to go back to and a new story that's not a rehash.

If we get a new story in Sinnoh I'll like to see Cyrus return to try to carry out his threat given to the player before going off to who knows where in the Distortion world. Or maybe Cyrus would instead return for SM with more planet named Admins xD.

Years
    I think its way too early to speculate, whether there'd be a Third Version for Sun & Moon, but I'd love to see sequels to the Gen IV Games & there most probably will be.

Years
    If Cyrus were to return in any fashion, I'd rather he form a new evil team instead of bringing back Galactic, or he can just make a spontaneous appearance himself just to give the player a crapton of trouble until he's dealt with, really.

This new journey in Sinnoh would be really cool and an interesting twist on remakes. Perhaps Cyrus could return with his own Giratina with an aim of controlling Arceus, that would be intense.

Back