• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Third Version/Sequels?

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I see this gen either tying in the others (like Sinnoh) because of the anniversary or having remakes shortly after to help bring some stories together. There needs to be a new edge in story.. not just a new region with no connection, until after you beat the champion, to other regions. I mean the God pokemon is only big news in Sinnoh? come on. I see things getting interesting

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2016
    I'm actually wondering at this point if it will even get a sequel/third version. It seems we aren't getting that with X and Y and third versions have never sold as well as the original, so maybe GF and Nintendo have agreed to scrap that idea altogether. Honestly that saddens me a little bit because the third version was always something I looked forward to.

Years
  • I'm actually wondering at this point if it will even get a sequel/third version. It seems we aren't getting that with X and Y and third versions have never sold as well as the original, so maybe GF and Nintendo have agreed to scrap that idea altogether. Honestly that saddens me a little bit because the third version was always something I looked forward to.

I agree, most people find the third versions pointless sales-wise and that's likely why Game Freak scrapped the idea, as well as also wanting to surprise fans. The problem is, Sun & Moon will need to be followed by a remake (likely D/P) or a B2/W2-esque sequel pair if third versions won't be a thing anymore. It was due to the lack of an additional game in Kalos that I felt 6th Gen was too short and I don't want 7th Gen to end up being shorter.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2016
    I agree, most people find the third versions pointless sales-wise and that's likely why Game Freak scrapped the idea, as well as also wanting to surprise fans. The problem is, Sun & Moon will need to be followed by a remake (likely D/P) or a B2/W2-esque sequel pair if third versions won't be a thing anymore. It was due to the lack of an additional game in Kalos that I felt 6th Gen was too short and I don't want 7th Gen to end up being shorter.

Fair point. I wonder how likely a DPPt remake is at this point though. They seem pretty modern compared to the first three generations.

Years
  • Fair point. I wonder how likely a DPPt remake is at this point though. They seem pretty modern compared to the first three generations.

The thing is, I find a D/P remakes a 50-50 chance of happening. We need a pair of games to follow up Sun & Moon so that this generation isn't too short, because look at how 5th and 6th Gen only had two pairs of games released with no third versions, making them significantly shorter than the other generations. I have also been doubting the remakes due to the fact D/P/Pt can already be played on a 3DS.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • The thing is, I find a D/P remakes a 50-50 chance of happening. We need a pair of games to follow up Sun & Moon so that this generation isn't too short, because look at how 5th and 6th Gen only had two pairs of games released with no third versions, making them significantly shorter than the other generations. I have also been doubting the remakes due to the fact D/P/Pt can already be played on a 3DS.

Except for Gen I and Gen II which were just as short or shorter in terms of games. Hmm, we've gone back to short Generations in terms of numbers of games it seems. Well Gen VI lasted about as long as Gen II did... making it one of the shortest, if not the shortest (formerly held by Gen II itself).

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2016
    Also if they remake a game, and this is probably a very unpopular opinion, it might almost make sense to remake first gen again. The first gen remake was in third gen, which is already older and worse looking than 4th gen, but I can understand how they wouldn't want to remake a game they already remade, especially if the demand for it is low.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    First Gen technically got remade 3 times already. Once in gen 2, once in gen 3 and once in gen 4 (HGSS).

Years
  • Also if they remake a game, and this is probably a very unpopular opinion, it might almost make sense to remake first gen again. The first gen remake was in third gen, which is already older and worse looking than 4th gen, but I can understand how they wouldn't want to remake a game they already remade, especially if the demand for it is low.

First Gen technically got remade 3 times already. Once in gen 2, once in gen 3 and once in gen 4 (HGSS).

I agree with Marino, I really can't stand another Kanto remake coming after Alola. Especially with all the Kanto shoutouts we had in Kalos.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think Kanto will have some significance in this generation, after all it is the Region that started the franchise and being the 20th anniversary I'm sure we can expect some throwbacks. A remake of a remake though just seems a bit unnecessary? If any games were to be remade then I'd say Diamond & Pearl, but even then I don't think those are necessary right now.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2016
    In all honesty I think we've reached the point where we don't need any remakes any more. That was just kind of a first thing in the morning thought haha. To make each generation a decent length maybe we can see some sort of side adventures, either in the same region or older regions. It's unlikely, but possible considering the old formula of 3 main games and 2 remake games doesn't seem to hold anymore.

Years
  • You know, this certainly begs for a question to be asked: how long with the trend of remakes continue? If, hypothetically, there are D/P/P remakes, does that mean that Unova should get its fair share in the spotlight, as well? I understand this is looking quite far into the future, but how long is the trend/pattern of remakes is going to last, is my primary question?

It's definitely more plausible, at least, in my mind, that any remakes after D/P/P (if it even gets remade at all), would probably be for Nintendo's next handheld. It would only make sense, after all: FR/LG were for the GBA, HGSS were for the DS, ORAS was for the 3DS, so on and so forth. If this holds we probably won't see a D/P/P remake until the next handheld, if it's not going to be on something like the NX.

You have a point here, because I do think that remakes have a pattern of coming out when there's a new handheld and that's why I think the chance of a Sinnoh remake is 50-50. Also, it's not known to be what the NX is yet given Nintendo seem to still continue offering support to the Wii U and 3DS even after it comes out.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
  • Should they make a 3rd version, what will they call it? Eclipse? A sequel would be interesting, I think, if they will make the story an almost parallel journey within the same time frame (e.g. hero started his/her journey a day after the previous)...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Should they make a 3rd version, what will they call it? Eclipse? A sequel would be interesting, I think, if they will make the story an almost parallel journey within the same time frame (e.g. hero started his/her journey a day after the previous)...
    If we get sequels I hope they won't be called Sun 2 and Moon 2. Black 2 and White 2 were bland names for sequels imo. I would like for them to be called Black Sun and New Moon or Full Moon.

Back