• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Too easy to get over-leveled Pokemon in HG/SS?

SgtPatches

i has a beard
    Years
    With the gym leaders in Johto being at rather low levels, does anyone find their Pokemon to get extremely overleveled? Currently, I have seven badges, and my team is as follows:

Feraligatr, 41
    Onix, 41
    Ampharos, 41
    Togetic, 36
    Magmar, 35
    Bellossom, 31

I'm stomping through Goldenrod Radio Tower, but none of the Rockets have Pokemon above level 28. Even the leaders have low level Pokemon. Proton's highest is 33, Petrel's highest is 32, Ariana's highest is 32, and even Archer tops out at 38. Even my rival in the Underground has low-level Pokemon between levels 30 and 34.

Anyone experience this? It seems that after Whitney, the difficulty level in HG/SS just plummets. Usually, for each game, I level five levels for each gym leader. But my usual level-grinding style has given me a team much higher-leveled than the usual trainer team in these games. All the challenge is gone, and I know that will make things disastrous for when I fight Red.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    Rockets generally have low level Pokemon. Their danger is their large numbers. Even then, I think you might be a tad overlevelled, I think I was about 5 lower at that point. Can't quite remember though.

y stri

Got no theme right now.
    Years
    I use the same training style as SgtPatches, but I level 5 levels for each town (this is because on my first playthrough, I was extremely underleveled). I'm at Blackthorn, and I have all level 50 Pokemon.

But at the Elite 4, the levels spike from the 30s to the 50s.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I have the inverse problem in every Pokemon game in that I never grind ever, and in my current HG playthrough, I'm at the E4 with lv.38-39 pokemon. So...no, not everyone finds themselves overlevelled at every point in the game.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    It's not you being overleveled, everyone else is weak, but you did seem to grind a lot, most people have sub 35 at the 7th gym.
    Whenever I start an adventure on HG/SS and find myself undereleveled I send them to sinnoh

Syphr

Happy to meet new people ^^
    Years
    They like to make it so you can level more than just one Pokemon, not just 1 and leave all the others behind like it used to be.

Years
    Battles were easy, btu since I always wanted my team at the same level, I was underleveled. Even so, yes, the game is easy, however there is a big leap of levels from gym leader to E4 to Red. Also, everybody in Kanto is underleveled. =/
    Johto was a weird region to battle in...but still the most fun! :D

zommy08

Crimson Trainer
    Years
    I had Lv40 Pokémon throughout the Elite Four and destroyed Lance with my Choice Scarf Tentacruel XD. What I dislike is that you have to train about 20 levels to get a somewhat easy fight with Red. If it weren't for my Meganium's Rock Climb confusing his Snorlax and him getting confusion hax, my Lv60 Pokémon would have lost. And - why can't there be a Pokémon Centre at the peak of Mt Silver? That way, you wouldn't have to teach a non-HM Slave Rock Climb and waste a Heart Scale to get the move back, unless it was like it was in my case; PoisonPowder. GAH HMs.

The Fourteenth Doctor

The little... Daleks
    Years
    Usually my team are underlevelled when I reach the 8th gym (usually lv37-38), but because 4 members of my team came from the GTS I've only had to train two pokemon, the others were already higher than my other pokemon, as a result my team is about Lv40-41 before the 8th gym

hack1

Dragon Green
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2015
    My team was on lv. 35 on gym 8. And 45 on E4. But now I'm really underleveled on Kanto.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I had three Pokemon at lvl 40 when I fought Archer and so he didn't seem that low level. I actually found Proton to be really low level when you fight him at Slowpoke Well, lvl 12 Koffing doesn't cut it for a rocket executive, I went through like 20 trainers after fighting a lvl 13 Pidgeotto.

Years
    How you managed that, I don't know. I usually have to grind 10 levels by the time I reach the Elite 4 (just so my Pokémon are actually above level 50 when I do challenge them). Currently, my team of 6 is level 59/60/61, and I've already beaten all the Kanto Gym Leaders. I don't find it easy to over level at all, in fact I find it hard to train.

Years
    • WA
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    Well my pokemon are usually overlevelled, but that's intentional because I always grind a lot in every game. By the time I beat the E4 for the first time my Typhlosion was level 65 (All my others were level 60), and now he's level 96.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
    Usually I am a bit underleveled before I challange the E4.
    That's not a problem anymore though, I grinded a few days defeating E4 over and over again.. Now Kanto seems too easy. In my first playthrough I was VERY underleveled, it was hard to beat Kanto gym leaders.

Tox

fight me
    Years
    How you managed that, I don't know. I usually have to grind 10 levels by the time I reach the Elite 4 (just so my Pokémon are actually above level 50 when I do challenge them). Currently, my team of 6 is level 59/60/61, and I've already beaten all the Kanto Gym Leaders. I don't find it easy to over level at all, in fact I find it hard to train.

This. I had to grind my entire team from Level 58 to 70 to challenge Red. I don't know how I'm going to get them to Level 100. I grinded a load throughout the game, yet I always seemed to fall behind. Since battling Team Rocket at the Radio Tower, my Pokémon have been noticeably underlevelled.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Lol. I'm really struggling.

But that's because of the order I did the gyms.

Falkner - Bugsy - Whitney - Morty - Pryce - Jasmine - Chuck - Claire

I spent tons of time only owning Slowpoke,Feraligatr and Arcanine, yet now suddenly I've got a Kingdra, Dratini and Tyrogue to level up xD.

My team, after Ho-oh:

Kingdra lv.39
    Arcanine lv.38
    Slowking lv.40
    Feraligatr lv.42
    Tyrogue lv.15
    Dratini lv.17

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    I was incredibly underleveled in the 5th gym (Chuck). His Poliwrath was around LVL. 30 (?) and my Pokemon werel, like, more than 5 levels lower than that.
    It was just LUCK that got me beating the champion and getting to Johto.

...and now I'm extremely underleveled to Green with my LVL. 50-something Pokemon. Blue for the English game.

şɧąγɱïŋ

Z E K R O M ★☆
    Years
    I thought that up until I got to Red. Even when I was
    seriously underleveled I beat him. Meh. I didn't even
    have to grind to fight the elite 4, I just spent a lot of
    time wondering around and trying to get as many items
    as possible.

Back