• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Too easy to get over-leveled Pokemon in HG/SS?

taloche man

Ace Trainer
Years
  • Me i passed the game with ease. exept for the E4. During the whole game i was a lot stronger than my opponent, and then, when it came to fight Lance, it took me like 5 try and a lot of item. i was far under his dragonite's level.

angelteama

viva mexico!
    Years
  • honestly yeah during the johto saga its easy but then you get to the elite four and the pokemon suddenly become way stronger, then you go to kanto and the pokemon are even more overleved

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
  • Has no one pointed this out yet? The reason your Pokemon are overleveled it because there are over 8 gyms? And that Red can be a major pain in the neck? Overall, I am pretty happy with HG/SS.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2010
    I never had too much of a problem. Some areas I was super over leveled, and others I struggled. Consistancy is a problem with these games, but I suppose that's what keeps it interesting.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2013
    Same problem.
    I have L45+ pokemon (Highest is typhlosion at 59) after getting the 8th badge, in HG and now I'm wrecking the cool/ace trainers on the way to victory road...

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2010
    Same problem.
    I have L45+ pokemon (Highest is typhlosion at 59) after getting the 8th badge, in HG and now I'm wrecking the cool/ace trainers on the way to victory road...

That's the way it was for me, then I got to the Elite Four and went :O

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Hey, I know how you feel. In fact, my Pokemon are all 40-42 and I'm in the same place you are. :/ They didn't fix the level curve as well as they could have, but part of it has to do with that you can go through Mt. Mortar and get to Mahogany Town before even defeating Morty, so the Lake of Rage Pokemon are the same level as the Route 35 Pokemon. I know, it sucks. D;

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • It's only more easier because the levels of your Pokemons are over-leveled. However, I understand how you feel. It's always been like this for every Pokemon game. I sometimes wish for stronger wild Pokemons and harder Pokemon Trainers. Things just aren't the way we all want them to be.

I also faced the same situation after defeating Clair. Once I quickly ran through the Victory Road, it ended quickly. The Elite Four destroyed my team with ease. It could be boring at first, but one would sigh with relief when facing Lance as they are able to par with him.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I felt this way through the gyms I've passed so far. D;

Keep getting worried that my Pokemon are gonna surpass their level cap before I get the needed badges, and they'll end up not following my orders for a bit. Hasn't happened yet, but feels like it might eventually. fff

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2024
    I guess I was pretty lame playing. I have 16 badges and my highest level is 57. My lowest level is 51. o_O

Years
  • I guess I was pretty lame playing. I have 16 badges and my highest level is 57. My lowest level is 51. o_O

Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously. Sabrina took me down, and I have those level Pokémon on me now. She broke my 9 Gym Leader No-Loss Streak. :<

Saikusu

Cheren is the Coolest Asian.
    Years
  • I'm just about to face Chuck... All i have is:
    Eevee: 33 (Silk Scarf + Return + Adaptibility = Pwnage)
    Quilava: 33
    And i find everything to be weak... I meen eevee nearly 1 hits anything.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I think I was about the right level overall, if a little under-leveled when it came to challenging Claire, the Elite Four, some of the Kanto Gym Leaders and Red.

Really, it is hard to overtrain for me after a certain point and the trainers are pathetically weak in Johto.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I've never been able to break the level 40 barrier before Clair, I must just be lazy... or the trainers are too weak. Probably both.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I guess I was pretty lame playing. I have 16 badges and my highest level is 57. My lowest level is 51. o_O

I was pretty similar (except my lowest is Lv 55, highest is 60).

I didn't overlevel at all, as most of the time, my Pokemon were often about 5 Levels under the highest level of the gym leader. I just used lots of potions and revives (and a bit of skill. Not much.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    I don't know what you guys are talking about. By the time I was fighting lance my highest level was level 42, and that was after fighting every possible trainer up until that point, AND my Pokémon were traded in, levelling up even faster. (I trained 6 evenly, Rhyhorn, Riolu, Munchlax, Scyther, Houndour and Horsea, all from level 5). Are you guys just grinding like mad or just raising one or two Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2017
    Yeah, I noticed this too. In my last save, I grinded my team like crazy. At, I believe, 5 badges I have my team at level 40. I just crushed everything in the game, and ended up at the Elite Four with a team of level 48's. Through Kanto, I decided to train new Pokemon with EXP.Share, and ended up at Red with a team of lv.50's. The game dos become easy if you grind, but otherwise I suppose it can be hard, but I've never played it without grinding my team.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Even though the Rockets have low leveled Pokemon, it wears you out after a while :P

Back