• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too Much Water...

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
Years
  • I'm sorry, but I had to.

Too Much Water...

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    To be fair, I love Hoenn with the burning passion of one thousand suns, but that Dive thing towards the end of the game was BS. It was fun, but man it could get frustrating.

Still, judging the entire game harshly because of it's amount of water is kind of silly, because that's.. part of it's plot aspect. I have a friend who gets so mad about it, and it's like.. just.. don't play it if you makes that angry? xD; For some people, the water is part of Hoenn's charm. All opinion, I guess.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • 7.8/10, Like Skyrim with water

The complaint was legitimate, although I disagree with it, but man, was it put stupidly.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Taking off a few points for something like water in Hoenn is slightly ridiculous, but you have to admit that the amount of Water in Hoenn is a bit much. Well, not so much the amount of water, but the concentration of it. The entire eastern 1/3 of Hoenn is water. There is a Water type villainous team. There is a water legendary. There is a Water gym as the last one. The problem is that we spend too much time on or under the water in the last leg of the game. It doesn't help that there's was a lack in variety of Pokemon when surfing/diving, when battling Team Aqua, and when taking on Wallace's gym.

Years
  • I don't know about you, but I don't think I should care about what these critics have to say anymore. But that said, they did mention that some of the key features were upgraded for this generation. Although after playing through Generation V and XY, which didn't have many HMs you needed to use, jumping onto the train of needing more again feels somewhat less convenient.

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    I dont know why they think that much water is a bad thing, I loved to explore all hoenn surfing (with maxrepels), and the best part was dive in this long ocean

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    I think the complaint is silly. I mean, what'd they expect? The games cover has water on it, the evil team is Team Aqua, and the legendary's type is water.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • No, water is not a legitimate complaint. It is just another element to the game. (see, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker).

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • It's a very legitimate complaint that shows how dated the region is. 1/3 of the map is Wingull/Tentacool/Wingull/Tentacool with a few scattered islands, a few very uninteresting diving areas (with bad Pokémon in them), a city that's only accessible by either Dive or Fly (even though it's an interesting concept), and the fact diving requires two HMs.

The new regions were so much convenient that going back to anything before Unova feels like a chore. I'm actually surprised IGN of all people pointed it out. Not usual for big gaming sites to refrain from kissing Nintendo's ass.

If Hoenn's water had been so cool, Sinnoh would have more water.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I did hear that the encounter rates while surfing have greatly reduced and surfing speed went up fairly, so surfing should be less of a chore compared to the originals.

If this is true, then IGN failed to address it. While their complaints are indeed legitimate, they fail to address that GF tried their best to correct this particular flaw. No comment on wild encounters.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2015
    As pkmn.master said, I think it's just a nice part to the game and to its charm. I have good memories of Hoenn and it's partly because of its awesome soundtrack, partly because of its changing weather, partly because of the "exotic" feeling, that water amongst other details helped creating.
    I think putting "too much water" in the review is just a tantrum from someone who wants to rush the game to its end (and then complain about the post-elite four?)

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's like deducing points in Skyrim for too much snow. I mean, it's a personal preference, not a fact. Game reviewers should focus on facts. I too, modded away the snow in Skyrim - I turned the entire region of Skyrim into a tropical forest, or a desert area and so on. I didn't like the snow. And that's fine, because my mate who played it too loved the snow.

Point I'm trying to make is, game reviewers should focus on the facts, not the opinions.

Edit: They could have said there is a lot of water - which is true. They could have said they were not a fan of so many water areas - which is true.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2015
    PokéLoco : yes, that's how it feels. Some reviewers are gonna put it as a bad side, some other are gonna put it as a good side, and in the end you just get random tests that do not reflect the actual game's quality.

Years
  • PokéLoco : yes, that's how it feels. Some reviewers are gonna put it as a bad side, some other are gonna put it as a good side, and in the end you just get random tests that do not reflect the actual game's quality.

Indeed, I just finished reading the article, and I have seen zero mention of the post game content, they did not delve into the story, they did not actively compare Ruby/Sapphire with ORAS (which is what I would do first thing if I'd review a remake), and so on.

So, IGN is not a good source for reviews in this case. 4/10, too little content. Too much water (compaints).

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2015
    I think it's pretty much this way with most of the reviews websites, and in all languages too. It became an industry of testing the most games as fast as possible (hehe, it kind of make sense that the slow water parts are hated). They* go with the lightest game experience possible and don't dig underneath to have the full view of it. That's a pretty bad way of doing it, especially when you're talking Nintendo gaming, where the magic happens in a straigth line but also around, above and underneath the storyline.

*when I say they, I don't mean all of them of course.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The game is literally about land vs. sea so it would be weird if you didn't spend half the time on the water... that's a bit strange, IGN. Especially because going through water isn't much different than going through caves, honestly, since each has random encounter rate with each step, etc. And it's a bit strange to take off points because Team Aqua favors water - literally every villainous team has a strong preference towards using one type, this is no different.

Back