• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Too Soon?

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
  • I think it is just the perfect time we got Hoenn Remakes since it has been THAT long since we played the region. It was kinda left out, the tilesets were horrid but nostalgic, the trumpets and french horns were annoying yet missed, it was high time we did get em.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Honestly, it seems Game Freak goes into production on these games for a very long time before actually announcing anything about them. It's very possible that they've been working on ORAS for way longer than we think. I highly doubt that they'll release a game that's been rushed, as they've never really done that to us in the past with Pokemon games. (that I can recall...)

I can't see why they would rush one of the most highly anticipated Pokemon games of all time.

They'd practically be spitting in the faces of all the people who've been waiting so long for remakes.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Honestly, it seems Game Freak goes into production on these games for a very long time before actually announcing anything about them. It's very possible that they've been working on ORAS for way longer than we think. I highly doubt that they'll release a game that's been rushed, as they've never really done that to us in the past with Pokemon games. (that I can recall...)

I can't see why they would rush one of the most highly anticipated Pokemon games of all time.

They'd practically be spitting in the faces of all the people who've been waiting so long for remakes.

Yeah I agree with you. It is just demeaning to think that GF would make a rushed game and we will just be disappointed to see the result.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • As far as we know the game has been in development while they were finishing x and y its high time they make a remake if they follow their pattern then they are actually late

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • It's not too long actually. There are games which came out about a year after the previous version, not just ORAS.

Some are just surprised that a Pokemon Z didn't appear first. However, in Gen 3 itself FRLG came before Emerald.

Years
  • It's not too long actually. There are games which came out about a year after the previous version, not just ORAS.

Some are just surprised that a Pokemon Z didn't appear first. However, in Gen 3 itself FRLG came before Emerald.

But Platinum came before HGSS, if I remember correctly. Therefore, there isn't any reliable information that showcases a pattern, and so anything could be done. I think it's a fine time to release ORAS, because X and Y have been out long enough; buzz about them is certainly low, and now the door is open to give the fan base something they've expressed a desire for.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • But Platinum came before HGSS, if I remember correctly. Therefore, there isn't any reliable information that showcases a pattern, and so anything could be done. I think it's a fine time to release ORAS, because X and Y have been out long enough; buzz about them is certainly low, and now the door is open to give the fan base something they've expressed a desire for.

Exactly like what you've said. Some people have been expecting a "Z" to come first, based on Gen 4 releases. But in Gen 3 the remakes came before the enhanced version.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Exactly like what you've said. Some people have been expecting a "Z" to come first, based on Gen 4 releases. But in Gen 3 the remakes came before the enhanced version.

The timing of the Hoenn remakes being similar to the Kanto remakes has made me wonder if they'll follow the Gen IV pattern for the generation in which they'll do DP remakes (if ever...I think right now it's a 55 % chance which will go up as demand for Sinnoh goes up like it did with Johto and Hoenn before them).

These remakes are late if one compares them to the average time which is 10 years (8 for FrLG, 10 for HgSs, 12 for these ones), of course though, the fact that there are three remakes makes this one have a strong influence on said average.

Years
  • I don't really feel it was too soon. I even pictured remakes being in Generation V, but looks like they'll be here in 3D instead, and likely even cooler.

Years
  • I don't really feel it was too soon. I even pictured remakes being in Generation V, but looks like they'll be here in 3D instead, and likely even cooler.

I had also wanted them for Gen V, but after B2W2 I realized that they'll look better if they were for Generation VI seeing how V and IV weren't as advanced graphically speaking. Plus a new generation meant new Pokemon and new features, which we got in XY...though not so much new Pokemon came about.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I had also wanted them for Gen V, but after B2W2 I realized that they'll look better if they were for Generation VI seeing how V and IV weren't as advanced graphically speaking. Plus a new generation meant new Pokemon and new features, which we got in XY...though not so much new Pokemon came about.

Blame it on the console shift. And that's the reason they actually postponed it, because another generation later we'd be hardpressing for a second remake because of the 3D. XY tries to contain the Pokémon boost because if a lot of Pokémon came out then along with Gen VII, it may as well reach 1000 total Pokémon. It's in every way better for the remakes if they limit the amount of new Pokémon, plus add a lot of old ones so that it would be more convenient to get them into Hoenn from X&Y.

Years
  • Blame it on the console shift. And that's the reason they actually postponed it, because another generation later we'd be hardpressing for a second remake because of the 3D. XY tries to contain the Pokémon boost because if a lot of Pokémon came out then along with Gen VII, it may as well reach 1000 total Pokémon. It's in every way better for the remakes if they limit the amount of new Pokémon, plus add a lot of old ones so that it would be more convenient to get them into Hoenn from X&Y.

They should've at least followed Sinnoh in their number, and added more evolutions of past Pokemon...but that's a topic for another thread xD.

On topic: I think that GF may have planned to have had them for this generation to begin with. They probably wanted to end Gen V on some note that would be remembered hence the sequels opposed to a third version.
    I also think they chose to make it now instead of have 'Z' (which like Emerald and Platinum before it has probably been in development at the same time as the remakes) was to spend more time on remaking Kalos. They probably also felt that now is the best time to release the remakes considering that it's the 10th anniversary of Emerald and FrLG's (the first remakes) releases in Japan.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    As others have said, a two-year gap isn't really all that common. We've had other games with shorter gaps that were all fine, polished products. These games were certainly in development long, long before their reveal.

I don't think it's too soon after XY; there is actually not a lot of content in them, to be honest, so many people are done with the games already. And it's definitely not too soon after the originals. We waited two years longer for ORAS than we had to wait for HGSS.

Years
  • As others have said, a two-year gap isn't really all that common. We've had other games with shorter gaps that were all fine, polished products. These games were certainly in development long, long before their reveal.

I don't think it's too soon after XY; there is actually not a lot of content in them, to be honest, so many people are done with the games already. And it's definitely not too soon after the originals. We waited two years longer for ORAS than we had to wait for HGSS.
    And we waited to year more for HgSs than the release of FrLg. So these remakes have come the latest compared to the originals of the previous two pairs.

I agree XY's hype died down like an inflated balloon after a week since it was given air.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015

And one extra generation, too. If the development doesn't skyrocket again, we may as well see the next generation right after Z. X&Y are perhaps 'mediators' between the older games and ORAS+ because of less postgame content and lots old Pokémon. If anything, X&Y was released just because they wanted ORAS next.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Most people don't actually complete the games they own in the first place to unlock post-game content. (Though the only concrete stats we have are based on Steam and PC games which may skew the numbers slightly compared to 3DS titles I don't think there's a massive difference between the two)

MudkipBoy

Ruby/Sapphire Veteran
    Years
    • Seen Feb 15, 2024
    Game Freak have always given us great games, no matter what the gap between them is. They must have been working on this for a while (it could have been developed concurrently with X/Y). I believe that the gaming world has changed, and to survive a company must release games at least once a year or their funding just falls away.

Years
  • Game Freak have always given us great games, no matter what the gap between them is. They must have been working on this for a while (it could have been developed concurrently with X/Y). I believe that the gaming world has changed, and to survive a company must release games at least once a year or their funding just falls away.

It's become that way with the book, and film world's too, and non (software) tech aka Hardware technology. In which the industries need to release every X number of years after another (books 1 year, films 2, tech 4-5?).

It may be a bad thing in the long run as they start to not have as many ideas as before. But for remakes one year is good, not much new stuff are needed (just development of the world, etc.) for them, so they make for a refreshing break from new generation pairs. If they do a third version then they'll get another relative "break". In the mean time they can focus all their remaining effort on Gen VIII.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    Production of the next main Pokemon game almost certainly began as soon as development on XY wrapped up if we go by how long Masuda said it took to make Black and White (four years, about the same time DP came out) and X and Y (three and a half, slightly before BW were released)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Production of the next main Pokemon game almost certainly began as soon as development on XY wrapped up if we go by how long Masuda said it took to make Black and White (four years, about the same time DP came out) and X and Y (three and a half, slightly before BW were released)
    Absolutely. I wouldn't be surprised if they began work on ORAS before that, actually.

A lot of people don't seem to understand that games take many years to complete. It's very rare for a game developer to announce a game right as they begin developing it, especially in this day and age, because hype will certainly die down after waiting for it for years--people will lose interest and it's not worth that risk. The only developers who can really get away with this are super big-name AAA studios, but even then the only reason why one might have to wait more than a year for a game to be released after its reveal is because it was delayed.

The people at Game Freak are only human. Even they need time to work on their titles. It's just that they have things planned out so that they're able to release their titles more frequently.

Back