• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Treecko, Torchic, or Mudkip?

Which starter will you pick in ORAS?

• Treecko

Votes: 124 43.2%
  • Torchic

Votes: 52 18.1%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 111 38.7%

• Total voters

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
  • Torchic in the minority? Surprising.

Yeah I'm really surprised about that too.

atm I'm leaning towards Treecko just because I've always liked the Treecko line's design, but idk I'm still quite undecided overall. There are other Grass (Cacturne, Ludicolo), Water (Ludicolo, Pelipper) and Fire (Camerupt, Torkoal) Pokemon that I'd really like to use too so I'm not sure akjshfdk

PumpJack

Gentleman Thug
    Years
  • MegaSceptile just sold it for me. He just skyrocketed into one of my favourite Starters and is definitely into my top 10 for Megas.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    When there is a lizard as a choice I always pick the lizard, so just as in R/S/E, I am picking Treecko. And Sceptile's Mega Evolution makes me happy inside, being badass looking and also uniquely part Dragon.

ΩRαS

Creepin' up in Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2015
    Due to these being remakes, I think it fitting I choose the starter that I took on my adventure in Pokémon Ruby.
    I'm going to be choosing Treecko, Mega Sceptiles design and typing are just a bonus!

DarkPoke001

Newfound Love For Togekiss
    Years
  • Chose Treecko back in Emerald,
    Chose Grass-Type starter in every game since
    My OR/AS Treecko is gonna be Nostalgia to the max

(Haven't even used Treecko in the demo as i don't want to 'ruin' it... i don't know :P )

Years
  • I find it interesting that the poll is showing Treecko as the most popular. Usually most of the reasons behind it being either Mega Sceptile's design getting a lot of love, or just because Treecko is somehow the "coolest" of the three.

Mudkip still has a solid number of votes, and as for Torchic I guess the reason why it's in the minority is mainly because a lot of players already used it in X/Y thanks to the Blazikenite event, and want to try something new this time around. I don't really recall any time where Water had the lead in starter choice polls but the standout might have to be the Kalos bunch where Froakie got picked the most, mainly due to Greninja's design.

And usually Fire starters aren't in the minority because most view them as the "awesome" of the trio, the only other notable time Fire was the least picked was probably the 5th Gen games, mainly because a lot of people hated Tepig's evolution line, and as a result Snivy and Oshawott stole most of the votes.

y stri

Got no theme right now.
    Years
  • While I'd like to pick Mudkip as a homage to my first ever Pokemon game (Ruby), I also didn't use any other Pokemon that time around. So I'm picking Treecko because I love Grovyle. I may choose to not evolve mine and transfer a Treecko over from my Y version to be a future Mega Sceptile.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Probably shoulda been a multichoice poll for us getting both games :P I plan on using mudkip in alpha sapphire, my new main for breeding, and treecko in omega ruby which I am going to nuzlocke. I already was on board for mega swampert, but after the demo I fell in love with mega sceptile who i originally thought looked really boring.

and on the topic of torchic, lots of people used the event one in xy, so thats probably why its not as popular this time around

Yvonne

♥ Kalos Queen ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2015
    Torchic, just like in the originals. I love that fire chickie, it's just a lil fluffy peep <3
    I might try Mudkip in another run sometime, though, I really like MegaSwampert too!

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    MUDKIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! {XD}
    Water types and Swampert are my favorites so far, he has my favorite Mega Form, plus I got him in the demo.

Last edited:

TheBazz528

TheBazz528
    Years
  • mudkip because I love his mega I'll use it for the entire time I play because it's so just bulky bicepes looking and I luv it :3

Years
  • I'm going to use Mudkip in Omega Ruby and Treeko in Alpha Sapphire. I'm going to breed 2 Torchics sometime this week or next week so I can transfer it over to OR & AS

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I'm going to pick Mudkip. Not only Mudkip is an awesome Pokémon, but it's also my least used Hoenn starter.

Years
  • Which one will you choose in the upcoming remakes? Why?
    Mudkip becasue it gets swift swim.

Will you use its Mega evolution?
    Yes.

Will you use any of the starters, or box it after you catch another Pokemon?

Boxing it.

Darth Arceus

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I can just breed a Torchic from my X event one. If I throw a Ditto into the mix, I can replicate Speed Boost. I don't think the starter Torchic in ORAS can have that.

Water and Ground is mostly redundant as the former shares two of the latter's type advantages. As such, I would use a Swampert as a Ground type and not a Water type. The Ground type Earthquake has enough base power, a STAB Ground attacker is nonessential; I could comfortably use non-Ground types for Ground attacks. Sure, I could still try using a Mega Swampert as a defensive wall, but I like my defensive walls to have healing capabilities, and Rest is out of the question if Chesto Berries are.

That leaves Treecko. Sceptile is actually not too bad, with high speed from the get-go, access to strategic Grass moves, and the capacity to learn Swords Dance. Also, this isn't much, but it can know both False Swipe and a sleep-inducing move (Grass Whistle). The Hone Claws it can learn as well helps with both.

Back