• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tricks thread

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
  • This thread is for posting cool tricks you can do with your computer. For instance, in Windows, if you add a key to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT --> * --> shell called "Open with Notepad", and then a sub-key within that called "command" and set the default value for "command" to "notepad %1", you will get a context menu option that lets you open anything with Notepad. I find it very convenient!

It doesn't have to be limited to software. If you find a cool hardware hack, feel free to post that too.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    On Mac OS X, type "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles 1 && killall Finder" in the Terminal to view invisible folders.

Replace the '1' with a '0' to get Finder back to normal.

Saitou

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2014
    Go to Google and type in "Google gravity" and press "I'm feeling lucky". Google just lost its gravity. I'm sure most of you know it.

Another one is writing "Google sphere" and pressing "I'm feeling lucky!". The page starts rotating.

Years
  • Here's a trick I use to share my 3G internet connection over WiFi without using a MiFi or similar device from a Windows XP machine. Click start, then Internet Connections, right click on the 3G dial-up connection, and click Properties. Go to the Advanced tab, then share the connection. Plug an ethernet cable into your ethernet port, then plug the other end into the WAN port of your WiFi router, and voila. My little trick for sharing my 3G dial-up.

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years
  • This thread is for posting cool tricks you can do with your computer. For instance, in Windows, if you add a key to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT --> * --> shell called "Open with Notepad", and then a sub-key within that called "command" and set the default value for "command" to "notepad %1", you will get a context menu option that lets you open anything with Notepad. I find it very convenient!

It doesn't have to be limited to software. If you find a cool hardware hack, feel free to post that too.
    I did something similar to that to run programs that would require an interpreter. Like with PHP, Ruby etc.

@Saitou: I've seen that before, but I didn't know that it was the first result when you looked it up on google.

Has anyone tried looking up "Recursion" on Google?

Saitou

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2014
    Has anyone tried looking up "Recursion" on Google?

Weird. I wrote it correct and it corrected it for me :\ I wrote Recursion and the results said Did you mean Recursion? Is that it?

Another trick, which all of you know it for sure, but it's worth mentioning. If you want to make shortcut keys for files or programs, right-click on the program and click create shortcut. Then right-click on the shortcut you just made and you will see something called shortcut key, with None as a value. Change it to anything, but it should have Ctrl + Alt + any letter or number.

Years
  • Hide .ZIP and .RAR files inside a .JPEG/.JPG photo
    Open CMD and go to the area where your files are (The picture and .zip/.rar file) then type in:
    copy / b Photo.JPEG + Compressed.RAR NewPic.jpeg
    Photo.JPEG being the photo
    Compressed.RAR being the compressed file
    NewPic.JPEG being the new file

Now if you open your pic up in a photo viewer it will load the pic but if you open it in WinRAR then it will open the RAR/ZIP file instead :D

Enjoy hiding your personal files and pr0n :P

mr. ck

कुछ मीठा हो जाये
    Years

• Weird. I wrote it correct and it corrected it for me :\ I wrote Recursion and the results said Did you mean Recursion? Is that it?
    That was the point... :P It's "recursion."

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    You can create a hidden folder on Windows. If I remember right, you have to change the folder icon to one of the blank ones in the middle in Properties and rename the file as the hex code 0160. Hold Alt+X and type it in.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • In Windows, click on something to select it the press Alt+Enter to open the properties.

If you have Areo enable press the Windows key + Tab to get the prettier version of Alt+Tab.

Windows key + E opens Windows Explorer
    Windows key + pause/ Break brings up System properties
    Windows key + R opens the Run box, if you know the name of the program you want to run simply type it in here, some common ones:

cmd = command prompt
    iexplore = Internet Explorer
    winword = MS Word.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I just noticed this thread now.

In OS X, press Cmd-Shift-G to access the "Go To..." dialogue; very useful to access hidden folders that you know the directory of.

Accidentally dragged a volume off of the Finder sidebar and have no way of getting it back? No worries! Press Cmd-Shift-G and type in "/Volumes". This also can show you all of the volumes/disk images currently mounted on your computer.

To switch active windows in OS X, press Command-`. This cycles through all open windows. To cycle backwards, press Command-Shift-`.

To hide an application so the world can't see it, press Command-H. You can also do this via the application menu. NOTE: The indicator still shines, so be careful around tech-savvy people who know OS X.

To start up in verbose mode in OS X (it looks cool), press Command-V before the grey Apple logo appears (only on a real Mac; Hackintoshes that use Chameleon 1 or any other non-graphic bootloader can access this by typing -v into the boot prompt and Chameleon 2 bootloaded computers have this as a drop-down menu option). It'll tell you everything that's happening during boot, whether you understand it or not. It also displays verbose logs on logout and shutdown.

To choose a bootable device at boot, hold Option before the boot prompt appears. To select something as the default boot drive, hold down Command when selecting the drive.

To get the properties of any file, folder, or volume, select it and press Command-I.

To navigate the Finder via the keyboard, press Command-N while Finder is selected to open a new window. To select folders or files, just use the arrow keys; to open it, press Command-O or Command-Down. To go up a level in the folder hierarchy, press Command-Up. To go forwards/backwards in history, press Command-] or Command-[ respectively. To close a window, press Command-W. I'm not entirely sure how to get to the sidebar, though.

...I have more, just need to think of them.

Last edited:

locoroco

Ginga Densetsu Weed ANIME PWNS
    Years
  • i got tons of tricks for xp. heres one:

How to Clean up Your TEMP Folder at Startup

you will be opening up Notepad and entering this inside

rd%temp%/s/q
    md%temp%

Save Your file onto the Desktop as "cleantemp.bat" and after Place it into the STARTUP folder.
    Each time you reboot your PC the Temps are gone leaving you with more room and faster startup too.

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2010
    The Finder in Mac OS X Tiger sports three ways to view your files: as icons, as a list, and as columns. To flip between them, choose View > As Icons, View > As List, or View > As Columns. You can quickly flip by pressing Command-1, 2, or 3.

bigplrbear

C# programmer for the IAPL
    Years
  • ultra cheap microphone-

Take a pair of headphones. Plug them in to the mic jack. Plug another pair of head phones, and plug them in to the speaker/headphone jack. Speak in to the right earphone on the ones plugged in the mic jack.

;)

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Got a couple. I'm all about timesavers and convenience so these are geared in that direction. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate but these should work for any version of 7 as well as Vista, and perhaps XP.

Obviously you can set custom keybindings to shortcuts via the Properties dialogue, but I accidentally found last night when I missed the Alt key that Windows 7 (and likely Vista) has built-in shortcuts for programs you've got pinned to the taskbar: win+1, 2, etc will open the program in the position relative to the number you hit.

I never use the built-in My Documents/Pictures/etc so repetitive file moving became a pain. You can edit the Send To.. menu by opening an explorer window and typing shell:sendto in the address bar. You can remove entries and add your locations either manually, by creating a shortcut, or just dragging & dropping the folder to the explorer window. There's a way to do this from the registry as well, I just don't remember. In addition, if you browse to the parent directory, there are some fairly insignificant things that can be changed as well.

You can also quickly access & delete your IE cookies and cache, respectively, via shell:cookies and shell:cache.

Anthraxinsoup

Professional Vidya Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2011
    GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

Use that in windows 7 or vista. Boom, folder with lots of options.

groteske

lurker
    Years
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 20, 2012
    Or, better yet, get a DECENT web browser.

Agree & disagree - IE has hundreds of granular security controls (most notably through local & group policies) that are integrated with the OS; most people either don't bother trying to understand them or don't know the settings exist.

I just throw Firefox or Opera in a sandbox and go on my way. Never been a huge fan of IE but improvements with NT wore away my dislike.

Back