• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Triple Battles vs Rotation Battles

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I don't think I need to really describe them, they're really obvious: triple battles use three, rotation battles rotate. Which one do you prefer and why? Do you feel like these are a nice addition to the Pokémon games? Do you think that they'll end up keeping them like they did with tag battles in future games? Is one more practical than the other for accomplishing different things, like leveling?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I hope you all prefer triple battles, because really, they are the best out of the two. Rotation battles are based off guessing which is dumb because we already have to predict at a basic level so why complicate things! Triples, however, are like doubles, which I have nothing against whatsoever. :)

Honestly I'd use neither of the two for grinding, I'd much rather stick to my wild double battles, tbh. Rotation battles won't last, imo. Triples, yeah, defs. Sadly, though, my teams are built for single battles and not triples and thus I suck at it. I don't think either will have major popularity competitively, though. I know there's an option for BW triples, but I haven't seen an option for BW rotational battles (@ PO), sooo yeah.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    I just thought rotation battles were stupid. Like, if you have a Samurott, and you're up against Pansage, Pansear, and Panpour, and you are going to use Surf and you think it's going to turn to Pansear but it turns to Pansage, you're totally screwed. Plus, if you use one pokemon the whole battle, the others are useless.

Years
  • Even though I play Black, which has more Rotation Battles I actually enjoy Triple Battles more often.

Ghiaccio

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • I personally like rotation battles more for some reason. I just never really enjoyed the triple battles, and i like how you can switch the pokemon around during your turn and attack and add a little more strategy to it (although the in-game battles do obvious switches so I already know what move to use or switch to)

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
    Years
  • I prefer the Triple battles. They seemed more natural then Rotation battles, because I can see 3 Pokemon working as a team. 3 Pokemon on a merry-go-round is a bit far fetched in a battle.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like triple battles because they're a twist added to multi-Pokemon battling, but I have to be careful on the order of the Pokemon that are sent out because I may have to waste a turn making my Pokemon switch places to make them hit a certain opponent.

Years
  • Rotational battles seem a lot more..clean...than triple battles. Having 6 pokemon on the screen at once is a little too intense when they're all bouncing around...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Rotation is my favourite battle style of all because, in the words of Haydunn, 'some serious rapeage goes on in them'. It's great for subtitutes and weird crap, and is an appreciable opportunity to get creative. I'd wanted a way to effectively tag-battle in a true sense of the term and was nicely surprised by rotation battles when I got White.

I don't expect rotation battling to remain in future games, since it seems like an unrefined concept piece with nowhere to go from a majority perspective, which is a shame; Game Freak are however not very habitual at removing things once they're added, so it could well stay forever even if it remains practically unused — like many monsters (ex. Butterfree) and moves (ex. Slam) do.

Triple battles are just an Up to Eleven of doubles; nothing really notable there but, again, they could yield some interesting strategies if people really bothered with them.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2022
    I prefer Rotation battle over Triple Battle.

Rotation Battle kinda takes out the ability to abuse a Type Weakness, making battles better. Sure, it's more luck-based, but at least it isn't so easy juste because you're using an opponent's weakness.

Triple Battles, to me, it's just an extension of Double Battles. I liked Colloseum with all Double Battles, but I prefer Double Battles than Triple Battle. Simply because it's just too easy to gang up, and Area moves become too overpowered too. Also, if two of your pokemons die at once, the game bugs and you are forced to restart. Which I have learned to hate from playing an Hard-mode hack.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm not a great fan of Rotation battles, they can be very time consuming and unpredictable, Triple Battles on the other hand I really enjoy, as I do doubles!

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    :) Triple battles vs Rotation battles. Thats an hard one to choose between; I would have to give the edge to rotation battles because at there core there all about guessing. This leaves room for anything to happen. More plainly the unpredictablity of rotation battles give them the edge over triple battles in my opinion.

Last edited:

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I haven't played much of either, but I have played plenty of Double Battles and the Mechanics aren't a whole lot different, so really its just an extension of that for me. Rotation battles are something new, I don't know what to expect new turn which is fun expecting the unexpected some times. Now if I was playing competitive I wouldn't want more predictions on already massive amount of predicting I would already have to do, but I don't play competitive so its not biggy.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I thought they were the same thing lol
    Me too sorta since at first I was like idgi what's the big deal because I thought you could only do rotations IN triples lool.

:) Triple battles vs Rotation battles. Thats an hard one to choose between; I would have to give the edge to rotation battles because at there core there all about guessing. This leaves room for anything to happen. More plainly the unpredictablity of rotation battles give them the edge over triple battles in my opinion.

Well all of battling is about guessing really. Opponent sends out a Pokemon that can potentially sweep your team - it has an attack that can OHKO yours, and most likely a boosting move. You either switch, assuming it's the former or stay in assuming the latter, preparing a counter attack. Same thing would apply to triples, while rotation battles could literally be anything and you could get an upper hand, triples at least have an extent where you can predict and guess. idk for me you can't do that in rotation battles because it's always switching, I mean if you randomly switch and attack whenever I'm sure you could win @ rotation battles ;x

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2014
    Rotation battles are kinda tricky and takes a lot of guesswork, (Seriously the in game rotation battle are really tough). So i would say i prefer triple battles as they are like "WE GONNA HAVE A PARTY UP HERE WITH 6 POKEMON"

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    I prefer Triple Battles because I've always waited for them and now they are available at Black and White! Double Battles are good enough but Triple Battles! Man I love them! One Surf can KO whole opposite team and your other two Pokémon...

BZW Golem

Conspirator~
    Years
  • I like rotation battles more, mostly because I just love guessing what my opponent will do next :3

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    Definitely triple battles. I enjoy strategy, but I hate extensive guesswork. Unfortunately, Rotation just involves too much luck and with 649 Pokemon, at least 1000 moves and hundreds of abilities, it's just too difficult to predict anything.

Back