• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Tropius or Staravia

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    Id go with staravia simply because it evolves and actually becomes competant at battling. This is not true of tropius, whou is useful as an HM slave and thats about it. As far as battling goes it is the definition of suck.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Wouldn't Staraptor be better than Staravia?

Anyway if you chose Turtwig then go with Staravia.You wouldn't want to be knocked out easily would you?
    If the other two Tropius.Tropius could learn many HM's just incase and is verstile.Then there's Candice and other iceusers.So be careful.Tie between the two. =/
    I suggest maybe another flying type,Drifblim for the defense/special defense.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I've never actually used Tropius for a long period of time. I always used Swellow in Emerald, and Staravia in Diamond. Tropius may be very strong, and useful when you don't have any significant grass-moves in your team, but I would have to use it more often to fully understand its potential.

HiroUey

Pokemon Master of Masters!
    Years
  • Im going to go with Staraptor, based on my experience training both, Tropius was never really that strong to me, rare, but not strong, Staraptor helped me out when i was in a tight situation, i can always count on my Staraptor.

I took out the elite four, mainly using Empoleon, Starraptor and Luxray, thats all you really need

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
  • Well, I personally am working on getting Hunchkrow, which I think is better than both, but it really depends on what type of team or member you're looking for. Staraptor can get Intimidate, and has amazing speed, but Tropius makes a good dual-type, unless you go against Ice or Fire. O_O

But honestly, just get Hunchkrow. Ice, Electric, and Rock are the only things good against it. :D

Dr. Strange

Elite Four
    Years
  • I like how everyone is mentioning pokemon other than the ones being compared/contrasted, Tropius has mediocre offensive and defensive stats and stat-wise it is superior to Staravia(except for its attack). Tropius even has a better move pool as well, but it only excels at being an average wall/tank due to its mediocre Sp. Att and low Att stats.

In conclusion, Tropius is more superior to Staravia and Staraptor in defensive stats as well as in Sp. Att but they excel in Attack and Speed which it fails at.

This discussion is kinda void because its comparing a tank to a sweeper, tanks obviously have better move pools but fail at inflicting damage correctly thus they heavily rely on stat inducing /status changing/ moves. Everyone's choice is more of an opinion because they're picking two different classes of pokemon, so yeah I pick both XD

Metalchic

▄█ 'M ▓▒
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2009
    how about we compare mewtwo to parasect wile were at it?

Tropius fits my play style more than staravia, especialy in a double battle.

if i was gonna play staravia i woudl.... forget it i wouldent use staravia,
    if i was gonna play STARAPTOR i would pair it up with somthing like Scyther with Technition or Aggron. or somthing that could make powerfull use of earthquake idk i dont really play staraptor so i'm not really sure.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    Probably Staravia because it can evolve, and has a better moveset.

Kyle Hyde

The one who comes and goes
    Years
  • I'd go with Staravia. I've never used it in a battle against friends but I have more experience with it. (unlike Tropius, who I know absolutely nothing about him)

NDS525

-NO SIGNAL-
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    Tropius!
    It is a flying type that can also learn awesome grass moves!
    Who doesn't like that?

Back