• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
  • Okay so ordered my laptop today. Current mood:

turn it off and on again
    My usual mood when I see someone buying gaming laptop:
    turn it off and on again

That's because gaming laptops are so expensive that desktop is usually better option.

Years
  • To be honest, I see nothing wrong with people getting gaming laptops, so long as they aren't like $5000 or more.

Years
  • To be honest, I see nothing wrong with people getting gaming laptops, so long as they aren't like $5000 or more.

Dude anything that goes over $2500 is a red flag for me, least as far as gaming laptops go. There's a limit to how much money I'm willing to spend before I go "Why aren't I just building a desktop at this point, really"

Years
  • Dude anything that goes over $2500 is a red flag for me, least as far as gaming laptops go. There's a limit to how much money I'm willing to spend before I go "Why aren't I just building a desktop at this point, really"
    You do have a point there, but there are some people that do prefer portability.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Just remember that, like how laptops aren't always suitable, so do desktops. Good luck bringing even a mini-ITX desktop to a classroom and using it when there are no monitors.

The power gap between laptops and desktops are shrinking a lot, anyway, since the days of 2011. It's just the matter of how spendy you want to be. But, still, at $1000, you should be able to get a laptop with more than enough computing power for the next few years. That's where I'd stop, too - I wouldn't want to spend more than $1200.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Also it's really funny that the computer had a program installed on it that recommended me switch to another browser - Chrome.
    Chrome is botnet, use another browser. Mozilla has finally released stable 64-bit version of Firefox for Windows, I recommend to at least test it.

Btw, it's funny that stable 64-bit Firefox has been available for Linux (and Mac) years before Windows.

Years
  • I agree that the article I linked isn't the best one about Google being botnet.

This pic should explain why Chrome is bad:
    View attachment 76983

Is this the picture that's hosted straight on /g/ wiki? I'm pretty sure I've seen this before.

But tbh I don't use chrome either simply cause Firefox supports css themes for the entire browser so that was more than enough to get me to switch over.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • I use both, also Opera on my laptop. I was using Chrome only recently on my Desktop since my Laptop is pretty much broke, can't even remember how many blue screens its had lol.

I downloaded the newest Firefox so I don't have to get notified that I logged into Facebook in incognito mode (I have 2 FBs). Firefox just seems much slower, also when I was watching a youtube video on it it used up way more cpu/memory then chrome does during a video, playing music, whatever.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Corsair's RMA service is weird...and wonderful.

I submitted a question yesterday about the case's power LED no longer being lit.

This morning, I found myself an email telling me that a new ticket has been opened and it's been updated.

They processed it and have sent out a replacement, free of charge! I don't even have to return the kooky case per the ticket.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    The power LED in our HP desktop died on us many years ago, but it was the sleep mode LED that died on us. We didn't bother replacing it as the sleep mode on the computer didn't exactly work too well...

Waking up from sleep used to be really finicky. Luckily, most device manufacturers have picked up their slack... It's really hard to find a computer that can't sleep properly these days.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well, this desktop is roughly 10 years old so I can see why now.

Mmm hmm.

I want to buy a UPS for my desktop. I think I'm spoiled rotten, in a way, by laptops not turning themselves off abruptly when the power's cut...

I get into too many power blackouts here.

Years
  • I could be getting a job at Amazon soon :)

It's only seasonal, and not really tech-related, but still neat to be working with one of the largest e-commerce sites.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I could be getting a job at Amazon soon :)

It's only seasonal, and not really tech-related, but still neat to be working with one of the largest e-commerce sites.

Yay!

I still am trying to find a suitable job...

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Just realized my computer is 6 years old and still pretty runs well in any game. Good Job Intel Core i5 750!

Sometimes it does feel like CPUs have gotten stuck in time, even though major improvements have been made in areas other than raw performance.

Turns out they're sending out the replacement IO panel for my case. Not bad.

Years
  • Just realized my computer is 6 years old and still pretty runs well in any game. Good Job Intel Core i5 750!
    I'd imagine that the Intel i lineup of processors does good for sure :)

It's hard to believe that my current laptop is almost two years old and it's in much better condition than my old HP laptop was just after a year.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'd imagine that the Intel i lineup of processors does good for sure :)

It's hard to believe that my current laptop is almost two years old and it's in much better condition than my old HP laptop was just after a year.

That Toshiba, right?

It kind of says something about that HP, though. Like... lemons of lemons.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • I've had a much better experience using HP laptops compared to Advent ones, though. At least my 5-6 year old HP laptop's case isn't physically cracking like the nearly 8 year old silver Advent one I once had.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back