• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

turn it off and on again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    That's because Microsoft is antitrust and doesn't want you to install anything else.

But Nadella will make things better.

Wow, that's interesting. Then again, I'm using a copy of VMWare Workstation 8 from a class this past spring so that's already outdated as is lol

That's a contradicting statement. Also, if Microsoft didn't want people to install other operating systems, then I'm sure that the option to turn off UEFI boot wouldn't exist in the first place.

Well, I know that it was able to be installed in UEFI but I couldn't get the Ubuntu installer to detect Windows and I made some changes in the BIOS which was a terrible idea. Was it MS that came up with UEFI though?

And yeah, Nadella will definitely fix MS and point them for the better.

I'll just leave it in this way:

UEFI is not what you should be blaming on any issues with installing other OSes; it's Secure Boot.

Many "alternative" operating systems properly support Secure Boot, so usually the user won't even have to change a thing. And if it doesn't, chances are it still supports (U)EFI, and you'll be able to install it sans Secure Boot without losing all goodies associated with UEFI. If your operating system doesn't support UEFI at all, it's probably really old.

You should be able to disable Secure Boot in most desktops and standard laptops. Similarly, UEFI can be disabled in the same way. You guys should probably not be too worried about it, at least for the time being. OEMs can disable the disabling of Secure Boot and UEFI on their Windows 10-certified machines, but even then, there still is a lot of options that don't involve disabling them, be it getting a different OS that can work with them, or just buying a machine that doesn't lock you out. It's merely optional.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • That's a contradicting statement.

Might sound contradictory, but in certain circles of law, x is antitrust is lingo for x is the subject of antitrust. Just something I picked up from talking to my lawyer bro all the time.

Also, if Microsoft didn't want people to install other operating systems, then I'm sure that the option to turn off UEFI boot wouldn't exist in the first place.

Then it wouldn't be a historical joke anymore, Microsoft would literally be in court right now.

Instead, they implement UEFI and Secure Boot in such a poor way that the kernel bootstrapping gets screwed up if you enter a different image in between.

People who are attached enough to Windows or too nervous to switch to a Linux only setup will, as a result, be greatly deterred from attempting a dual boot.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Might sound contradictory, but in certain circles of law, x is antitrust is lingo for x is the subject of antitrust. Just something I picked up from talking to my lawyer bro all the time.

Lingo is best avoided when you're talking to people not well-versed in it - it's pretty much asking for people to misunderstand things.

Still, speaking of dual-boot, it still isn't too much of a problem right now, given that a lot of OSes out there are UEFI and Secure Boot-compliant. So long as everyone finds a way to get it to work perfectly... Still, I'm sure some people will want to have the ability to disable them, and I respect that. Disabling Secure Boot and the CSM mode (where it behaves like classic BIOS) can come in handy when you need it.

I'm still a bit torn about what things to get for my desktop. As it stands, it's pretty much maxed out for 1080p monitors with regard to games. I sure could add a brand-new SSD, but for what good it'd be for? I mean, a WD Black is plenty fast by its own, and I'd be only accelerating the amount of time it takes to get everything loaded once Windows loads - the actual time-to-desktop is still within 15 seconds, discounting POST and my password typing. The desktop is usable pretty much immediately if you're willing to ignore the fact that not everything has loaded yet with regard to start-up programs. (I run Skype, Steam, and Origin on start-up, in addition to various driver doodads.)

Could use an extra pair of 120mm fans and a pair of fan splitters, but on the other hand, I've been eying on high-end air coolers and closed-loop liquid cooling solutions... even though I already have a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO and I don't overclock my CPU!

It's nice to want more things on a desktop, and I'm actually glad that desktops are wide open to customizability and upgrades.

(Yukari, how's your new PC build going?)

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah, I was careless, I guess. It's just that more often than not, people understand what it means.

which yukari

Seems like this is a different Yukari from the other one that hangs out in the UG chat. Oops!

Akiba

Years
  • I was the first Yukari just saying.

But in terms of PC builds, I'm thinking of probably doing another one soon.

My most recent one (about two years old) had a 4770k, which still seems to be relatively popular. Which is why I haven't really done anything.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I was the first Yukari just saying.

But in terms of PC builds, I'm thinking of probably doing another one soon.

My most recent one (about two years old) had a 4770k, which still seems to be relatively popular. Which is why I haven't really done anything.

I have an i5-4590 myself.

CPU performance seems to be stagnating, but on the other hand, there's too much of it anyway.

Years
  • I just wish I had the available budget to do a PC build, or else I wouldn't be using my laptop full time now. >_>

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I just wish I had the available budget to do a PC build, or else I wouldn't be using my laptop full time now. >_>

You can always skip the video card, SSD, one stick of memory (if planning to do dual-channel later, though that's not as optimal as a dual kit in the first place), and use skimpier components with regard to the motherboard, case, and the power supply, up to a certain limit.

Though, you don't have to skimp much even with just a $500 budget, especially if you're going Haswell Refresh, Kaveri, or Skylake.

Akiba

Years
  • Yeah, the most money saving thing you could do without sacrificing too much quality would be to dump the SSD or use AMD instead of Nvidia for a GPU.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah, the most money saving thing you could do without sacrificing too much quality would be to dump the SSD or use AMD instead of Nvidia for a GPU.

Mmm hmm. Or you could get a A8-7600 and stick with that if you don't plan on anything beyond HD resolutions and medium settings. (Or, when the Skylake Pentiums stop being expensive, the G4500.)

To be honest, though, once I have a modern desktop, I don't feel like using laptops too much again...

Years
  • Yeah, the most money saving thing you could do without sacrificing too much quality would be to dump the SSD or use AMD instead of Nvidia for a GPU.

Mmm hmm. Or you could get a A8-7600 and stick with that if you don't plan on anything beyond HD resolutions and medium settings. (Or, when the Skylake Pentiums stop being expensive, the G4500.)

To be honest, though, once I have a modern desktop, I don't feel like using laptops too much again...

Well, yeah, you could, but the AMD stuff does demand a bit more electricity than their counterparts, if my memory serves. So, really, you're either paying cost up front for the more power-efficient hardware, or paying for the extra electricity usage over the life of the PC (well, that and trying to keep AMD in business so that nVidia and Intel actually have a competitor in the desktop PC realm to potentially keep them somewhat honest).

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well, yeah, you could, but the AMD stuff does demand a bit more electricity than their counterparts, if my memory serves. So, really, you're either paying cost up front for the more power-efficient hardware, or paying for the extra electricity usage over the life of the PC (well, that and trying to keep AMD in business so that nVidia and Intel actually have a competitor in the desktop PC realm to potentially keep them somewhat honest).

They indeed are, but the A8-7600 isn't too shabby when cTDP-downed to 45W.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well it's better now but still I don't understand why Skype needs to take up so much memory.

If it doesn't take as much memory on the next start, it probably had a bad case of a memory leak.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back