• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ubuntu users, unite!

Do you use ubuntu?

• Yes

Votes: 28 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 16 36.4%

• Total voters

Smitty96

the Ubuntu user
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    Its good to know PokeCommunity has a good userbase of Ubuntu users. I used to dualboot, but not anymore. My Windows HDD was 20 GB, Windows itself took up at least a good 5, and all the useless programs I had brought it up to ten, so with my music it was almost full, and I wanted to put Linux documents on it too... So I deleted Windows. My Linux HDD is only 10 GB, thats why I need the other one too. Along with Wine, Ubuntu is so much better than Windows. The things that bugged me most about Windows was that it was slow, not customizable without programs that slowed it down more, and the amount of expensive software. But now with Ubuntu I have a fast, reliable, customizable desktop. (And I get multiple workspaces!) Plus, I can still play my old Windows games in Wine. I think the only reason so many people use Windows is because they're used to it, or have never heard of Linux.

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
    Years
    hmm im not gonna bother reading everyones post but i highly recomend having a dual boot of ubuntu and either vista or xp, my friend uses ubuntu and vista and i use ubuntu and xp, and its definately handy for gaming if you use "wine" and "alchohol"(programs) to run games on it,....reason for those programs is cuz ubuntu is linux based and cant run windows .exe files but those programs allow you to run them =D

also ubuntu is very friendly when it comes to the taskbar =P(it can have two different taskbars that you can switch between,(kinda like having two moniters and each has its own taskbar))

Years
    hmm im not gonna bother reading everyones post but i highly recomend having a dual boot of ubuntu and either vista or xp, my friend uses ubuntu and vista and i use ubuntu and xp, and its definately handy for gaming if you use "wine" and "alchohol"(programs) to run games on it,....reason for those programs is cuz ubuntu is linux based and cant run windows .exe files but those programs allow you to run them =D

also ubuntu is very friendly when it comes to the taskbar =P(it can have two different taskbars that you can switch between,(kinda like having two moniters and each has its own taskbar))
    Don't get under the impression that WINE is perfect. If you really want perfect, then run a Virtual Machine with Windows 7 RC.

I am fond of the Gnome Panel's versatility, but I use Cairo-Dock as my taskbar, so I don't deal with it that much. I love the insightful comments I get from the fish, though.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Don't get under the impression that WINE is perfect. If you really want perfect, then run a Virtual Machine with Windows 7 RC.

I am fond of the Gnome Panel's versatility, but I use Cairo-Dock as my taskbar, so I don't deal with it that much. I love the insightful comments I get from the fish, though.
    And have no workable 3D acceleration :( Really, only Parallels has any sort of across-the-board functionality with 3D acceleration; which is a pretty important feature to have if you're virtualizing WINDOWS of all things.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017

Or you can do what I do and just combine them and make the one you have left look like a Window's taskbar only with a Ubuntu icon. : 3

Smitty96

the Ubuntu user
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    i highly recomend having a dual boot of ubuntu and either vista or xp, my friend uses ubuntu and vista and i use ubuntu and xp, and its definately handy for gaming if you use "wine" and "alchohol"(programs) to run games on it,....reason for those programs is cuz ubuntu is linux based and cant run windows .exe files but those programs allow you to run them =D
    But if you're using Wine, then why dual boot with Windows? I deleted Windows off my computer completely, best decision I ever made.(concerning computers)

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
    I have a partition with Linux Mint (A more refined, nicer Ubuntu derivative), which I use occasionaly! I've tried at various points using Linux as my main OS, and every time, have found it just-not-quite-ready, though it's getting very close now. All it really needs is a little more developer support, a slightly more polished UI, and less dependancy-hell. (Seriously, if a package needs a paticular library which is fairly obscure, it should probably just come with it. If the user's already got it installed, it can always just not install it).

What may also help Linux is a unified GUI toolkit, or at least some sort of front end that would implement both GTK and Qt and have them looking the same. I'm sure there was a Qt->GTK wrapper at some point. Some more work on that, and having it included and enabled by default would definately have things looking a bit less all-over-the-place in Ubuntu.

Another problem with Linux as I see it is that it's got no real standardized API. There's a multitude of gui toolkits, as I already mentioned, a whole slew of different graphics APIs and a multitude of different sound servers, each with their own libraries. It's a bit of a mess really, and there's no one way to write Linux programs. Although this does give the developers plenty of options, it gives the end users a headache when it comes to dependancies, and causes a lot of inconsistancies between the way applications look and feel. I'm at risk of repeating myself here, but Linux developers could do with agreeing on a standard set of libraries to implement graphics, gui and sound.

I'm not saying Windows is perfect on this front either, but it's a hell of a lot better. Sure, there's the choice between OpenGL and Direct X, OpenAL and DirectSound, but the end result isn't nearly half as muddled, and most applications come out looking and behaving constitantly.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    But if you're using Wine, then why dual boot with Windows? I deleted Windows off my computer completely, best decision I ever made.(concerning computers)
    Gaming. WINE is horrible for a lot of games.

Napalm

Careful! That Stuff Burns!
    Years
    The first time I used Ubuntu, i was shocked by how different it was to XP. But after 2 weeks, I was really used to it, in fact. I prefer Ubuntu WAY MORE than Windows. I found most of the alternative programs. I've only needed Wine for Photoshop.

Best thing about Ubuntu, it's Open Source and FREE :D

Years
    I've just installed Monodevelop, and it's really confusing, having come from Visual Studio. I can't seem to find the form builder in a VB.Net GTK App, so I'm lost. Does anyone use it?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Well I just got Ubuntu just because my uncle says it give good 'opportunities' for aspiring programmers or something. I've never really used Linux before so wheeeee, I'm lost.

Just to be safe I had it installed in a different disk. All I have to do is reconnect a few cables when I feel like switching through Windows and Ubuntu

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Well I just got Ubuntu just because my uncle says it give good 'opportunities' for aspiring programmers or something. I've never really used Linux before so wheeeee, I'm lost.

Just to be safe I had it installed in a different disk. All I have to do is reconnect a few cables when I feel like switching through Windows and Ubuntu
    Dual booting would be a lot easier. o.o

Pokedude45

Pro Trainer and Pokemon Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2010
    I tried it once

on my flashdrive when my Hard Drive crashed (stupid windows)

But now I use SLAX for my flashdrive

Back