• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga uguu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • Dunno about that, Macho. Baccano's initial chaotic nature drives away people tbh. Personal experience.

FMA is very simple to understand and it lays things out to you in a very easy-to-understand manner. For Baccano, it takes at least 3-4 episodes for an average person to actually come to terms with what the **** is actually going on and settle into a comfort zone which enables them to get into the style of the anime it is.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • But it's not its structure as an anime that does that, it's its structure as a story, and I don't think it makes it any less gateway of an anime for that. Especially because, despite where it goes, it's pretty down-to-Earth, save for a few intentionally eccentric variables.

Plus it pushes fewer anime mannerisms than FMA- largely due to it being less over the top (and, from what I remember, there was very little face deformation). I think it's a great gateway for that reason, and even if the viewer doesn't catch on right away- well, first, that's normal. Second, though, it's short, and it has hooks early on so that it won't scare away the easily bored.

Though if someone really wants to have fun with it, like I did to some friends, they'll skip the first episode. Sets some things up but reveals some information that has a lot more of a wham if introduced later. Plus it gives the viewer more to question without really missing out on much.

derozio

Years
  • See, I understand what you're trying to say. You make some valid points - especially regarding the fact that it possesses far lesser anime-like tropes with a realistic setting and is immediately much more relatable than FMA's alchemy-schelchemy resulting in the audience possibly finding it easier to come to terms with.

But that still doesn't change the fact that people who prefer straightforward shows would definitely find themselves lost in the first few episodes due to how they're handled. And, if we're talking about people with short attention span (aka most non-anime fans who you're sort of forcing to give anime a shot), you definitely aren't looking at a favorable outcome in my opinion.

Attentive watchers who somewhat have an interest in the medium? Sure! Casual TV series fans who aren't exactly interested in anime but MIGHT just get converted? Not so sure about those. They'd probably be better off watching something like Code Geass or Death Note. Death Note, in particular, is a great gateway anime imo. Gripping right off the bat with a very tight storyline and great characters.

Not that Baccano lacks those, no. But Baccano clearly lacks that strong a hook in my opinion and is slightly confusing for most people. At least that's how I see it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

I also forgot to mention Ninja Scroll. How old school can you get with Ninja Scroll, especially since Jubei, the main protag is essentially Bruce Campbell in anime form.

Then again, if you really want to help casual TV people get into the light (or into the dark side, whichever way you swing), remember these words of wisdom from Senran Kagura's Katsuragi:
    Spoiler:

Just remember kiddos, ladies, and gents. Whatever you recommend to your RL friends who watch Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, TV Pleb Simulator, and whatever shows, do NOT do what i do, which is recommend the risque-ist (if you all know what i mean) choices :3. I recently recommended Highschool dxd to another friend of mine (A TV Show Pleb that dwells in the sight of looking at women in all forms, yeah its one of those males who grow in the "Bro Culture") and well, Imma post the screencap of his reaction soon when i find it in my phone :3

So recently, i asked one of my cosplayer friends if she can try cosplaying Junko from Danganroppa. She hasn't heard of the anime (or game) though was intrigued to do so at first but i showed her some footage of what Junko does (including all the ahegao faces she does all the time) and she called me a pervert and friendily declined. My bad?

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • So recently, i asked one of my cosplayer friends if she can try cosplaying Junko from Danganroppa. She hasn't heard of the anime (or game) though was intrigued to do so at first but i showed her some footage of what Junko does (including all the ahegao faces she does all the time) and she called me a pervert and friendily declined. My bad?

Sure there are a lot of suggestive, revealing, sexy etc. characters out there, but suggesting to someone to cosplay a certain character for reasons like she'd look cool as the character, would suit the character and even yourself just liking the character. Just because you asked her to cosplay as Junko from DR, doesn't make you a pervert unless you were actually intending to be one. At least she friendly declined, but not your fault she took it the wrong way.

derozio

Years
  • Yeah, unless you selected Junko because you wanted your friend to see in those sexy outfits make those ahegao faces and with a perverted intent, it isn't exactly your bad lol.

Though to be honest, me being the pervert that I am, any suggestion of that sort would definitely be an intentional one XD;

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Never worry people, while I don't claim to be the cleanest of people, I did understand the chain of events that has happened. I don't want to be pointing fingers at anyone though ;)

I finally watched the second instance of Trigger's Little Witch Academia!

That show is gold. Pure gold. Keep it up and you'll be casting flameblasts in no time! :))))

OT:
    Video totally related -

I hope that I'm not the only human here that genuinely liked Rosen Maiden. I remember watching this show years ago all thanks to a former college blockmate who was a 4channer who usually went to /a or /b and went DESU.

What does uguu/anime daily chitchat think of Rozen Maiden. Did anyone see this show? Is anyone now curious about this show now that its being mentioned? Those who have seen the show, who was your best doll? (Personally, I liked Suiguintou the most. Gothic dolls are best dolls)

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • What does uguu/anime daily chitchat think of Rosen Maiden. Did anyone see this show? Is anyone now curious about this show now that its being mentioned? Those who have seen the show, who was your best doll? (Personally, I liked Suiguintou the most. Gothic dolls are best dolls)
    Dunno about Rosen, but I did watch everything from RoZen Maiden :P
    Shinku is Shinku, you don't beat Sawashiro Miyuki character =D

Would definitely love more. I've been eyeing the game on Vita for a while, might eventually import it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I just mispelled one of my own favorite animes. The shame D:

Well on the other hand, I've seen some bits and pieces of the 2013 Rozen Maiden and while i like the art, some of the reviews aren't so favorable, with justifiable criticisms liked a rushed ending of sorts. Then again, I'm a risk taker when it comes to animes so I might see the 2013 adaptation in the near future.

So right now, I'm at episode 9 of Blood C, which is technically nearing the end, and well at least finally the show is starting to get straight into the point. Also, Episode 8 deserves an award for me because those who have seen Blood C know what I'm talking about :3

Skip Class

Years
  • I did look at the trailer for Rozen Maiden back in 2013, Didn't exactly like the looks of it because it wasn't really the type of anime that I liked. I did end up watching the first episode and although it was kinda interesting, felt that it was an anime I would personally have to force myself to watch so I ended up dropping it.

Currently have been catching up to the final episodes of this season and most anime I'm watching are on their 11/12 episode (or 12/13 for Noragami Aragoto).
    Only Young Black Jack this season is the only anime I was watching that's just finished with most of the others ending next week.

YBJ was very enjoyable to watch despite not being a fan of the original series. Found it interesting since there medical anime aren't very common and thought I might watch it because I had really liked the jdrama Voice (even if it is apparently the weaker of the series). Even though the YBJ wavered between being great to dull (especially in the middle episodes where that felt quite lackluster), it was something I did enjoy this season.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Someone cheek this --

Finally A Heroin who resemble Kyouko Kurahashi (Tokyo Raven)!
    It was hard to watch Tokyo Raven when the side-girl was irresistibly hotter then the main girl.

Skip Class

Years
  • Ooh! I was looking at Musaigen no Phantom World. I'm gonna give it a try to see how it is because KyoAni, but not 100% on the list until I have a taster.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • So i just saw the first episode of the 2013 Rozen Maiden again and well, my first impression: its trying to be darker and edgier than the classic version... somewhat justifiable since it was within this time period of anime (i think) where people was just not getting enough "edge" and even Rozen Maiden, ROZEN MAIDEN, even ROZEN MAIDEN had to get some more edge..

personally i have mixed feelings about it. I like Dark and Edgy or works that become Darker and Edgier, but not Rozen Maiden?

Someone cheek this --

The KyoAni eyes (which i prefer to their signature art style regarding people's eyes) are still alive and real in this one.

So anyway, while I was rummaging through an assortment of "to-watch's" or "to-do's other than play League" i stumbled across this gem in my "anime-to-watch list" => MUV-LUV Alternative Total Eclipse. Unfortunately, the reason why i got intrigued was thanks to this video, so i already have a spoiler.

Top 10 Anime Characters Get Eaten

and within this top 10 list, a very intriguing scene from Muv-Luv Alternative showed up and i recently listed it down as something to watch before the year ends, since it involves Sci-Fi, Mechas, Aliens that eat humans, and hopefully MORE gratuitous scenes of people being eaten by alien creatures.

Whelp. i just revealed to anime dcc about what i like watching in the holidays ;)

derozio

Years
  • I love me muh KyoAni eyes-desu. And those character designs look delicious. Not Sento Isuzu delicious (dat Sento mmhhmm <33) but yeah. :b

Also, Muv Luv's been on my to-watch list for a while now. Should pick it up sooner than later I guess.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I love me muh KyoAni eyes-desu. And those character designs look delicious. Not Sento Isuzu delicious (dat Sento mmhhmm <33) but yeah. :b

Also, Muv Luv's been on my to-watch list for a while now. Should pick it up sooner than later I guess.

I hope you aren't one of those people who thought that the first initial images of Tamako Market was K-On! Season 3 or some K-ON Gaiden or side story. Unfortunately, i was one of those younger fools back in the day that thought that there was going to be a K-ON! Season 3

Kyoani's ability to reuse and recycle their art style will always be the best.

Also decided to continue reading Velvet Kiss. For those who want to see what our lovely main female lead in said manga looks like:

Spoiler:

Skip Class

Years
  • Yeaaaah I love me some KyoAni eyes. Have no idea why, but i'm liking the male's character design in that anime for some reason... maybe it's the eyes xD

Speaking of eyes: The female lead's eyes from P.A Work's new anime bothers me for some reason...

I'm still really excited to watch this new one! When I first watched this P.V I thought it was a simple slice of life/ romance anime, but it has Mystery which is what I'm most excited about!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back