• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • username: Delcatty123
    Type: Ground
    game: Diamond!!

I am planning my team as, Torterra, Gastrodon, Garchomp and Mamoswine, the rest being HM slaves!!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2013
    Easy. Peasy. Lemon Squeezy.

All-in-all Fighting didn't pose much of a challenge.

Red's Team

PoliSwag the Poliwrath
    Level 54
    Ice Beam
    Psywave
    Surf
    Body Slam
    (Elite Four Co-MVP)

JackieChan the Primeape
    Level 53
    Dig
    Thunderbolt
    Strength
    Seismic Toss
    (Kanto MVP)
    (Elite Four Co-MVP)

Ali the Hitmonchan
    Level 45
    Thunderpunch
    Ice Punch
    Fire Punch
    Skull Bash
    (LVP)

Champion
    Level 51
    Karate Chop
    Mega Kick
    Take Down
    Earthquake​

Overall was quick and fun.​

Spoiler:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
    Years
  • Alright everyone here's my second update:

Just got through Mt. Moon.

Gary's back for another beating? Yup he got smoked!

Time to show Misty who's boss!

My Team After Gym:

Lt. Surge your next!​

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2015
    I am no longer doing a flying monotype challenge but I am doing fighting and Psychic Ultimate. I already finished the firered leg of Psychic.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2012
    Bug UMC

I've beaten team Rocket and Bugsy. Made my way to goldenrod beating my rival, getting through Ilex forest and the trainers on route 34. I have now caught Penelope the Paras, Walter the weedle(now Kakuna) and Pandora the Pinsir. Now Grinding before facing Whitney.

Charlie the Butterfree

Gust
    Sleep powder
    Supersonic
    Confusion

Neil the Spinarak

Poison Sting
    Leech Life
    Night Shade
    Shadow Sneak

Penelope the Paras

Scratch
    Leech life
    Poison powder
    Bullet seed

Walter the Kakuna

Scratch
    Leech Life
    Poison powder
    Bullet seed

Pandora the Pinsir

Focus Energy
    Bind
    Seismic toss
    Harden

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    Well, I haven't posted in a while, but here's an update on my Ground monotype challenge, which has progressed to Soul Silver!

- Started the game and went through all of the opening game sort of stuff.
    - Chose Chikorita as the starter and went on the whole "Go to Mr. Pokemon's House" thing, beating my rival on the way back.
    - Was able to catch a Geodude on Route 46, and obtained an Onix and Nidoran M from the Pokewalker.
    - Went to Violet City. The Sprout Tower was pretty easy to clear, and then my Rock types simply obliterated Falkner.
    - Went down on Route 32, caught a Wooper, and went through Routes 32 and 33, and also Union Cave.
    - In Azalea Town, I cleared the Slowpoke Well and was able to beat Bugsy fairly easily, again with the Rock Types, Geodude and Onix. Around this time, Nidoran also evolved into Nidorino.
    - Breezed through the Ilex Forest, stopping to teach everyone Headbutt along the way.
    - Got to Goldenrod City and spent several hours playing the Voltorb Flip Game. Obtained the Ice Beam TM for Wooper, the Thunderbolt TM for Nidorino, and a Sandshrew to add to the team.
    - Got the radio card, and then beat Whitney quite easily with Sandshrew and Nidorino! Wooper also evolved into Quagsire during the course of the gym challenge.

Current Team:
    Sandshrew, Lv. 18
    Quagsire, Lv. 20
    Geodude, Lv. 21
    Onix, Lv. 21
    Nidorino, Lv. 21

Next Up: Morty and the ghosts of the Ecruteak Gym! Probably going to be a more difficult challenge than everything else so far.

Years
  • Id like to join
    Username:lucarioGuild7
    Game:SoulSilver
    Challenge:Water Mono type but before i start i just wanted to ask if i could give my self a few water eggs
    oh and another thing i can use my starter if its my type right

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Id like to join
    Username:lucarioGuild7
    Game:SoulSilver
    Challenge:Water Mono type but before i start i just wanted to ask if i could give my self a few water eggs
    oh and another thing i can use my starter if its my type right
    Yes you can use your starter, and you can't do any eggs since you have a water pokemon right away, the rules don't permit it.

AnjinMiura_PL

Challenger Extraordinaire (?)
    Years
  • Le Poison Challenge in Black and White Pokemon Red #4
    Love, Wealth, Honor, Akechi Mitsuhide and OMG I CANT FRENCH! O.O

If someone is reading these things, I'm really pleased ;) Stuff needs to happen in this post anyway.

*Near the Nugget Brigde

Anjin:"Oh shiz nooo! You, once again?"
    LeRival:"Enface, face-moi tete-a-tete, Anjin!"
    Anjin:"Come on I really can't french OMG!"
    Beast:"Yarrr, destroy him once again!"
    Saur-Rawr:"Yarrr, saurrr, liek Honnouji did raurr!"

LeRival:"Ah non! Le decapitation!"
    Anjin:"What mixing English and French is kind of...****."
    LeRival:"J'm moving to the next ville, filling mon pokedexe! Au revogoodbye, Anjin! *goes to the south*"
    Anjin:"At last...but anyway, guys. I think we should do the same thing as this Mad Frenchman did in this battle."
    Beast:"I refuse to fail such hardly in every battle."
    Anjin:"No no, I mean, we need, no, I need, to catch more Pokemons in order to make our Poison Army about 66% cooler!"
    Saur-Rawr:"Goo zu Pokamaket get sum pokaboolz go catch yay arrrr!"
    Beast:"I see...yeah, let's go!"

*Entrance to the Cerulean, Route 4 or 5 IIRC

Beast:"Hey, what's up?"
    Atilla:"Hellou. I am Atilla, follower of Sun Tzu's and Takeda Shingen's teachings."
    Beast:"But you're only 10 level snake! What?!"
    Atilla:"How do you expect me to level up under these conditions? Taisho, please accept my wish to train more here. I would like to become a valuable member of Poison Army."
    Anjin:"Ermm...yeah, why not...Saur?"
    Saur:"Rawwrrrr thiz guy soundz liek Shingenz for reall. Accapt arrr!"
    Beast:"He might be useful, after all."
    Anjin:"Okay, grinding time!"

*Seriously, it took lot of time. But after all...

Atilla:"I cannot express my gratitude for you and your retainers, Taisho. I would be overjoyed if you'd allow me to join your conquest of Kanto region."
    Beast:"Erm, he still sounds a little bit too official..."
    Saur:"Butt still hiz kickin' azz yarrr!! Hiz killah! Ima has acceptin thiz!"
    Anjin:"I'm impressed, after all. We might need a field tactician too. Yeah, Atilla, wherever you get that name, join us in our goal of anihilation Kanto and collect money for SW3!"
    Atilla:"You mean Samurai Warriors 3? I would really like to see how Takeda Shingen is designed in this version."
    Anjin:"Okay team, let's get destroy this...Nugget Bridge?!"

*Nugget Brigde, quite easy. Fighting Rocket Guy

Rocket:"Join Team Rocket, please! Giovanni will fire me if I won't convince anyone to join ;_;"
    Atilla:"My Lord would never join such unhonourable group. You have been unconditionally defeated, so you shall retreat now..."
    Rocket:"Hey, please, don't do it to me! I cannot return to Giovanni without..."
    Atilla:"GET YA ASS OUTTA HERE LIKE SERIOUSLY I'M GETTING PISSED OFF AAARGGGHHH!!! ALL UNITS PURSUE!!!"
    Saur:"AAAAA DELICIOZZZ ZUBATTZZZ AYWANA ITT!"
    Beast:"Chaarrrgeeeeee!!!!"
    Anjin:"Hmm...brilliant commander...I have a feeling I'm not really needed here."
    *Saur and Beast are chasing after Rocket all over Nugget Bridge.
    Atilla:"Hey, Taisho."
    Anjin:"Yeah, what's going on?"
    Atilla:"If I can suggest anything, I guess we could extend your army here, near this bridge."
    Anjin:"Heem, good brief."
    Atilla:"Another grass-poison Pokemon would give us total advantage against ground, rock and mostly, water Pokemons. I would like you to catch Oddish and let us train him to our army standards."
    Anjin:"Hey, don't need to be so official...good idea though. We shall do so, when these two will be back...good leadership, anyway."
    Atilla:"Thanks."

*Catching, training, stuffs

Hanahime:"Thanks guys, I've been quite on a roll lately. What we're up to now, anyway?"
    Atilla:"In this level, she will be able to claim victory in Cerulean, water-typed Gym. We can attack even now, as Hanahime would crush enemy in current state."
    Anjin:"Okay, guys. What do you reckon btw?"
    Saur:"Too new friendzzz, arrr!! Quite-a-good day, arr!! Atakk!!"
    Beast:"Yeah, time to do some badge-obtaining!"

*Cerulean Gym

Atilla:"Enemy units have been destroyed. We are now up to attack Gym's Commander, Misty."
    Swimmer:"I don't care, I only want to stare at Misty anyway."
    Jr.Trainer:"Oh nooooooo ;_; Swimmer would never look at me after such defeat, nooooo :("
    Atilla:"The time is now. Hanahime, advance!"
    Misty:"You shall go no farther!"

Misty:"Starmie is almost finished...what to do, what to do?"
    Anjin:"Enemy is at the loss now! All units, oblierate enemy main camp! Crush it!"
    Atilla:"Hanahime, strike from the frontline. Saur, Beast, cover western and eastern gate! Finish them!"
    *Hanahime used Absorb. Enemy Starmie fainted!
    Atilla:"Yahh!"
    Anjin:"That was, good!"
    Misty:"I have to admit my defeat. Damn, :|"

*Pokemon Center, resting after battle

Anjin:"So far no one can stop us. Now we only have to defeat those trainers in the north and meet this guy, Bill."
    Hanahime:"Yeah, I really like this salad!"
    Beast:"Hey, isn't is a kind of...cannibalism?"
    Saur:"Dunno...gud zalad wanamore arrrr!"
    Atilla:"That was fun...;)"

I'm going quite slowly but, no need to rush - stuff is going on here. :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2015
    Fighting and Psychic Update

Update on Both Fighting and Psychic Monotypes

Fighting
    Name: Fooze
    Game: Leafgreen
    Spoiler:

Team:

Primeape [Locke] Lv 33

Psychic
    Name: Fooze
    Game: Heartgold

Spoiler:

Team:

Slowpoke [Hourglass] Lv 20

Curse
    Yawn
    Confusion
    Water Gun

Kadabra [Calender] Lv 20

Teleport
    Confusion
    Disable

Years
  • Ground
    Name: HazelLevi
    Game: Emerald

Update 1
    I came to Littleroot town in a a moving truck... Luxurious right? Don't worry, it only gets better , some professer gave me a cute little Mudkip for thrashing a poochyena and his son! And I left home on my adventure. I got a Marshtomp after defeating Roxanne and then saved some guys wingull, once again thrashed Brendan ( professers son) now I am on my way to Dewford with him (hopefully I won't get Seasick)...

My Team:
    Marshtomp lvl 20 Torrent Rash

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    Hey pokecommunity it's Ttar well ive been away for a long while but would like to continue on my ultimate monotype challenge.

I've completed gen 1/2 and am currently going in ruby just now starting in fact.

Type: Ground
    Game: Ruby
    Name: Zion
    Pokemon: Swampert, Sandslash, Camerupt, Flygon, this should do but for fillers in case i want to use more, Rhydon, Claydol

I just went back and found the names of my pokes but im just sticking with Oreo my sandslash.

Edit: Since i posted yesterday I have done quite a bit i have started with mudkip ohh hell here's the team

Lv. 38 Swampert : God Father

Mudshot
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Takedown

Lv. 35 Vibrava : Slygem

Dragonbreath
    Rocktomb
    Sand tomb
    Crunch

Lv. 37 Camerupt : Humpty

Earthquake
    Overheat
    Rock Slide
    Take Down

Lv. 36 Sandslash : Oreo

Slash
    Dig
    Poison Sting
    Sand-Attack

Lv. 6 Zigzagoon : Slave
    Pickup ability

Cut
    Rocksmash

I have a very small but very annoying problem this took me about ohh say 3 hrs to do and well im playing on an emulator and somehow it didnt save S.O.B. I dont know what to do but start over again.

Last edited:

d4rka8isz

Is Confused.
    Years
  • I just started after a week or two of signing up.

Electric Monotype Challenge.
    -Got Chimchar because I want an easy rival
    -Caught Shinx and trained it
    -Caught another Shinx and trained it.
    -Got HP from School Kid in Jubilife City
    -Found out Sun~~~Ray's HP was ice
    -Breezed through Roark with Sun~~~Ray.
    -Got a Bidoof for HM Slave
    -Got to Valley Windworks and caught a Pachirisu
    -Currently training Danielle(Pachirisu)

My team:
    Spoiler:

Next time I update, I'll have the moves and everything, but right now I'm in a hurry.

P.S. It's okay to have two of the same Pokemon right? Because the only electric types I can get are Luxray, Raichu, and Pachirisu (I don't have FireRed)

P.P.S. Is Rotom counted as a legendary? It'll be a huge help if I can use it.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • P.S. It's okay to have two of the same Pokemon right? Because the only electric types I can get are Luxray, Raichu, and Pachirisu (I don't have FireRed)

P.P.S. Is Rotom counted as a legendary? It'll be a huge help if I can use it.
    You can have duplicates, although I don't really think they help any (less exp to go around), especially with Luxray who doesn't have a very wide movepool.

Rotom is definitely usable, so you can have a pretty good team of four (without duplicates) of Luxray, Raichu, Pachirisu, and Rotom.

Also, having FireRed wouldn't matter, as you need to have the Nat'l Pokedex to do the Dongle, which requires you to beat the E4, and the challenge is over at that point.

Andrew1989

neet
    Years
  • Username: Andrew1989
    Type: Rock (because I believe it'll make the game really hard).
    Game: Blue Version.

I'll edit my post ASAP. I plan to start doing the challange right now. :)

Edit: Said I was going to edit, so here it is:

---

- Name myself Bya. Name Rival RED.
    - Recieve potion from PC. Leave house and try to leave the town and stopped by Oak. Travel to his lab and acquired Squirtle (while Rival RED takes Bulbasaur).
    - RED challanges me to a battle when I try to leave Oak's lab and very near beats me. But I make him rage by using a potion, and manage to defeat him after he acts silly and decides to spam Growl all the time.
    - Leave Oak's lab and make my journey towards Viridian City. Obtain a potion from a nearby person and run into a few annoyences (which I easy obliterate with Squirtle). Arrive at my destination and enter the mart and Get Oak's Parcel. Return back to Pallet town (while defeating wild enemies) and deliver the parcel to Oak. Obtain the Pokédex.
    - Almost get obliterated by a wild Pidgey when travelling back to Viridian City. Heal Team at the Poké Center. Leave place and head north.
    - Arrive at Viridian Forest. Beat every single trainer (while laughing at the fact that bubble dropped my foes speed all the time). Arrived at Pewter City and healed team.
    - Enter Pewter Gym and almost get wiped out by the first trainer (because I am reminded again just "how" frustrating Sand-Attack is. It can hit you once, and suddenly you'll miss every shot and die.). Luckily do not get beat.
    - Face off against Brock.

Gym Leader Brock (because being shirtless makes me cool :D

Geodude: Obliterated. No questions asked. The fact that it even got critical on the first go shows it didn't stand a chance. But I think bubble would have killed it in one go even if it "didn't" get critical :)
    Onix: Was actually quicker than my Squirtle (being one level higher than my poké) but acted like a idiot and decided to screech me to death. Went down after 2 Bubbles (the second one being a critical hit though I see no point to that as Onix was in the red already).

Gym Leader Brock Defeated!

Obtained: Boulderbadge.
    Recieved: TM34 (Bide).

- Leave Gym and heal team. Enter Poké Mart and buy 15 Poké Balls, and 5 Potions. Leave Poké Mart and travel east.
    - Nearly get beat of the first trainer (a Lass) because I get hit with Sand-Attack spam making all my Bubbles Miss (and leaving me with 10PP on the move Bubble). Waste 2 Potions (I have 3 left) but "manage" to finally beat her due to chance (because my Accuracy was lowered to the max and Pidgey kept spamming it instead of finishing me off). I thank the game for dumb AI's.
    - Manage to have no difficulty beating the next trainer, but I get wiped out by mr "I love shorts" because I acted like a retard and was betting that while I survived with 6HP of a Quick Attack (being that I was injured previously to the Sand-Attack Lass), I was hoping he wouldn't do it again. Alas luck wasn't on my side and not being sensible and using a potion, I get wiped out by a Quick Attack.
    - Get my revenge by beating him easily on the 2nd go. But not before being reminded at how "annoying" wrap can be. Squirtle also tried to evolve (denied). Denied Squirtle to evolve for a 2nd time. Deny Squirtle a third time at evolving (because it's getting PC'd eventually anyway) and finish off the remaining trainers. Arrive a Poké Center and heal team. Leave and enter Mt. Moon.
    - Find Geodude (which I was looking for) and manage to capture it. Nickname is Byakuren (which I was going to name myself but I couldn't because the game is retarded and the name wouldn't fit). Leave Mt. Moon and heal team. Shove Squirtle in the PC.

---

Current Team

Byakuren (Geodude)
    Level: 8
    Type: Rock / Ground.
    OT: Bya

Moves: Tackle (lol).

Player: Bya
    Badges: 1
    Pokédex: 2
    Time: 0:55

---

And that is all from me. I'll post more when I get the chance.

Last edited:

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • ULTIMATE MONOTYPE BUG CHALLENGE: EMERALD GENERATION 3/5

- caught a pinsir
    - defeated Tate and Liza
    - thwarted evil teams plan
    - defeated juan.
    - trashed wally.
    - and after so much grinding (of Ninjask and Pinsir), defeated wallace, and became champion. Thank you! Now off to Platinum!

Spoiler:

Team:

Butterfree level 45
    Dustox level 42
    Shedinja level 42
    Ninjask level 60
    Pinsir level 62

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
    Years
  • Le Poison Challenge in Black and White Pokemon Red #4
    Love, Wealth, Honor, Akechi Mitsuhide and OMG I CANT FRENCH! O.O

If someone is reading these things, I'm really pleased ;) Stuff needs to happen in this post anyway.

I'm going quite slowly but, no need to rush - stuff is going on here. :D

I read it :P

I'm so glad some people put energy into their updates--I don't like reading the boring list-type ones.

...Lost my Emerald Bug ROM, not that I was moving at an alarmingly fast rate

Poe Wrote on Both

Black and White-Just the Start
    Years
  • Well, well...interesting.

Username: Poe Wrote on Both
    In-Game Name: Jasper
    Type: Steel
    Game: Ultimate (Crystal, Emerald, Pearl, White)

Game: Leaf Green

Oh, and question: Can I start with Aron in Leaf Green and then get Pineco after I get Pokeballs? Because if not, I'm left with one Pokemon until after Lt. Surge.

EDIT: Never mind. I've been answered. Thanks, jdthebud.

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Well, well...interesting.

Username: Poe Wrote on Both
    In-Game Name: Jasper
    Game: Ultimate (Leaf Green, Crystal, Emerald, Pearl, White)

Oh, and question: Can I start with Aron in Leaf Green and then get Pineco after I get Pokeballs? Because if not, I'm left with one Pokemon until after Lt. Surge.
    Actually, you don't have to do Kanto at all for an Ultimate, since the steel (and dark) type were introduced in Generation II.

If you do want to play on FireRed or LeafGreen, the second post in this thread has a list of Pokemon you can hack. Just keep in mind that the FR portion will count as a single monotype.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back