• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberSamurai

Devoted Battler
Years
  • alright quick question. i was thinking about starting up a fighting challenge on heart gold and i cant remember if you can find any fighting types before falkner. so if there isnt would it be alright to trade over some random fighting type? (it'll probably be a riolu)

Kularian

Talespinner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    Ultimate Monotype for Ice commencing soon. I'll emulate Blue for this 'un and I'll be using the haxx ability to start with a Shellder (for future Cloyster purposes).

I'm assuming we're allowed multiple pokemon of types? For example, since Legendaries are outlawed, can I use, say, two Cloyster, two Jynx, a Dewgong and a Lapras? Or am I limited to one of each? It's not forbidden in the rules, but obviously, this'll be a touch harder for me going with a less-populous type :P

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    I'm assuming we're allowed multiple pokemon of types? For example, since Legendaries are outlawed, can I use, say, two Cloyster, two Jynx, a Dewgong and a Lapras? Or am I limited to one of each?

Yes you can use as many of one species as you want.

Kularian

Talespinner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    Just an update on the progress of my playthrough.

Got Squirtle, when I meant to get Bulbasaur. WHatever, Grass is weak to Ice.
    Punked my rival (Douche)
    Went to Viridian, got Oak's Parcel
    Delivered it back to Oak, got my Pokedex I won't use.
    Bought a Pokeball.
    Gamesharked in a Shellder, and got nervous when all it did was Withdraw the whole fight.
    Checked and it did indeed have Tackle, which was good.
    Spent all available cash on Potions, Antidotes and Pokeballs, and deposited Squirtle.
    Threw Glacier (my Shellder) at Rattata and Pidgey until it hit level 10, then forged my way through the Forest.
    Attempted Brock at Level 12 and failed miserably.
    Leveled to 18, trying to get Clamp...but 18 was Supersonic.
    Between Supersonic and Withdraw, and my potions, I managed to beat Brock.
    Charged ahead through to Mt. Moon, and punk'd the Rockets in there, and picked up the Dome Fossil for good measure.
    Somewhere in there Glacier learned Clamp. I was overjoyed. Also found a TM for Watergun, which I threw at him too.
    Came out of Mt. Moon and fought a Sandshrew which I caught to be a Strength/Cut mule. Tossed him in the PC for the fight with Misty.
    Beat the other trainers first, healed, and went back in.
    Abused the hell out of Clamp, as my overleveled Shellder always gets to go first.
    Beat Douche outside of the Bridge, and forged ahead, and won a nugget.
    Continued to bum rush through the trainers, making it to Bill's house.
    Helped out Bill, and got the Ticket for the S.S. Anne.
    Went down south to Vermillion, and cleared the field to the right of trainers. Made a foolish mistake and got beat by an Engineer because I forgot Sonic Boom does an automatic 20 damage.
    Went back and punked that Engineer with Clamp.
    Healed up and proceeded to thrash everyone on the S.S. Anne, using Tackle against all the water types, and Clamp against the Machops.
    Somewhere along here Glacier learned Aurora Beam; dropped Supersonic since I never use it.
    Thrashed the trainers on the boat, punked Douche again and helped out the Captain, and got the Cut HM.
    Left the boat and watched it leave before taking Sandshrew off to the field on the right to make sure he was dead before I fought Lt. Surge for fairness issues.
    Beat Lt. Surge's trainers, healed up and came back, before realizing I had to kill Sandshrew again.
    Back to Lt. Surge's. Messed with the locks, finally got the bastard thing to open.
    Abused Clamp again, making sure that none of those electric rats got a turn in.
    Left, healed up, and went back North to Cerulean, with Glacier getting too close to 40 for my liking, as Cloyster learns Spike Cannon at 41.
    Punked the trainers before Dark Tunnel, and called it a night there. Glacier's 38, and until I get Fly, I can't get back to Pallet to catch a Poliwag to level to Poliwhirl to trade to the man in Cerulean to get a Jynx, and Seel's aren't around til Seafoam Islands, so Glacier's going to be the backbone of the team for a long time.

Trainer Name: Frosty
    Badges: 3
    Game: Pokemon Blue
    Pokemon:
    Glacier.png

Last edited:

polkop

LSHMSFOAIDMT
    Years
  • Update on my mono-poison challenge on HGSS:
    - I beat the Team Rocket in Magohany town.
    - Venonat evolved into Venomoth.
    - I get my seventh badge.
    - I'm beating the Team Rocket in Goldenrod City.

My team:
    Koffing - Lv 31
    - Sludge
    - Shadow Ball
    - Self-destruct
    - Assurance

Weepinbell - Lv 31
    - Poison Powder
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Bullet Seed
    - Cut

Venomoth - Lv 31
    - Leech Life
    - Gust
    - Psybeam
    - Poison Powder

Beedrill - Lv 31
    - U-turn
    - Rock Smash
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Payback

Arbok - Lv 31
    - Strenght
    - Glare
    - Rock Tomb
    - Crunch

Nidoking - Lv 32
    - Surf
    - Shadow Claw
    - Dig
    - Double Kick

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    i think its time i joined this challenge =D
    ill do the ground challenge on emerald ok?
    ill start in a few mins XD

edit: On second thought...i cant.. really busy =D

Last edited:

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
  • So, I beat up the last couple of trainers on route 25 before taking my team south towards Vermillion City. I avoided most of the trainers on the route so I could save some experience for later, since Ms. Nido's getting closer to level 22 with every battle, and Nidoqueen's learn Body Slam at that level and that sounds like a pretty useful move to me.

Oh yeah, somewhere along the way, Geo learned Magnitude, which earned him a special place in my heart, since that's the first ground-type move any of my Pokemon have learned. I think it'll be useful to have a Graveler/Golem around, don't you?

ANYWAY, the S.S. Anne was lots of fun (what with the thrashing of trainers left, right, and centre) and I finally got Cut, so I could return back west through Diglett's Cave to pick up a hidden moonstone I missed towards the end of Mt. Moon. Ms. Nido got to level 22, where she learned Bite, and then I evolved her so she could learn Body Slam as well. Currently, I'm using the route east of Vermillion to train up Ms. Nido and Geo so that they can reach the hefty level of 29 that Nidoking is at.

Kularian

Talespinner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    Made some sweet progress on my Kanto journey through Pokemon Blue

Blindly felt my way through Rock Tunnel (which is its actual name, I guess.)
    Came out in Lavender Town, turned down the creepy music.
    Glacier was at 40 by this point, so I hurried my way to Celadon, avoiding some trainers.
    Department stored a Water Stone, and got my official first Ice pokemon, Cloyster!
    Then I went and punk'd Erica.
    Went down into the Rocket Hideout in Game Corner, beat up some Rockets, got a Silph Scope.
    Went back over to Lavender Town, and cleaned out Pokemon Tower.
    Realized how messed up **** gets in that tower.
    Rescued Mr. Fuji or Fiji or whatever his name is, and got the Pokeflute.
    Sold my Awakenings.
    Took the watery path east of Lavender town, and talked to Fishing Guru to get the Super Rod. Somewhere I'd missed the Good Rod.
    Backtracked to Route 10, and caught a Poliwhirl.
    Traded it for a Jynx. Now I finally have two Ice pokemon.
    Follow the path down all the way and get about ten steps from Fuschia and realize I haven't cleaned out Saffron.
    Backtrack, and go through the damn teleporting thing in Silph Co.
    Beat Douche, get a Lapras, bringing the total up to three.
    Beat Giovanni, get the master ball. Put said ball in the PC.
    Beat Sabrina in her damn teleporting maze.
    Head back down to Fuschia.
    Beat Koga rather effortlessly with Tessie, my Lapras.
    Went into the Safari Zone and got the gold teeth and the Surf HM. Taught Surf to Tessie.
    Gave the gold teeth to the warden and got Strength HM, which I taught to Sandshrew.
    Realized I missed Fly, and backtracked to Celadon.
    Got Fly HM. Realized I had no flying types and caught a Pidgey to teach Fly to.
    Flew to Pallet, and surfed South to Cinnabar.
    Entered the burnt out mansion and read some creepy **** on Mewtwo and found Blaine's key.
    Roflstomped Blaine with Tessie.
    Went over to Seafoam and picked up a Seel.
    Evolved it into a Dewgong, and flew up to Viridian.
    Saved the game, and tomorrow will be the conclusion of the Kanto portion of my journey. : D

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Fairly short update this time. As per usual, Gen V spoilers ahead.

Spoiler:

Next time! The coolest gym puzzle ever!

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
  • alright quick question. i was thinking about starting up a fighting challenge on heart gold and i cant remember if you can find any fighting types before falkner. so if there isnt would it be alright to trade over some random fighting type? (it'll probably be a riolu)
    The first Pokemon available that would work for a fighting run on HG would be a Poliwag (Poliwrath is Water/Fighting). You can't get him until you make it to the Pokemon Centre before that one mountain's whose name I can't think of that leads to Azeala...but, yeah, there aren't any fighting types before Faulkner...but you don't have to have one by then, do you? 'Cause I know for RBY/LGFR, I could've had up to three badges before I needed to find one of my Pokemon.
    Hope that helps.

tachikaze316

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Spoiler:

Next time! The final badge!

Kularian

Talespinner
    Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2014
    Okay, Kanto beaten, but just to give a summary of the events...

Went in with Tessie (my Lapras) in the lead to get her some levels.
    Punked Viridian Gym
    Punked Giovanni; didn't get touched.
    Went west, fought Douche and won, fairly handily
    Went through all 8 guards to get to Victory Road
    Had a few minor issues getting /through/ Victory Road, despite that I did this before when I was like 12.
    Made it out, healed up at PokeCenter and bought 30 Full restores and 10 revives, just in case. Deposited my Sandshrew and Pidgey, and stuck with my main four.

ELITE FOUR BATTLE TIEM

Lorelei:
    Led with Jynx to Psychic spam through the ranks. This worked until Slowbro appeared. I spammed Body Slam instead and got lucky with three critical hits.
    Same strategy applied when Lorelei brought out her Jynx. However, Lola got pwn't by the other Jynx, and so I brought out Glacier to finish it off with Spike Cannon. Worked wonders.

BRUNO

Put Tessie in the lead.
    Punk'd Bruno.

AGATHA

Did some minor switching here, but pretty much mained with Tessie, though I switched out to Mana-T (my Dewgong) against the final Gengar.

LANCE

Led with Tessie, used Body Slam to get past the Gyarados, then Ice Beamed his ass into oblivion.

DOUCHE

I was content to let Tessie keep the lead, and she Ice Beamed the Pidgeot out of the way, struggled through the next two, but managed to stay alive to Arcananine, who was suitably Hydro Pumped, and then Venusaur, who took two Ice Beams to the face.

Victory was mine, Douche's hopes were dashed as I stole the love of his grandfather, and thus tomorrow eve will be the beginning of my Johto journey!

One game, DOWN!

Ending Team:

Glacier-1.png

Last edited:

Sapeiro

Random Trainer
    Years
  • Poison Monotype Challenge!

Chapter 2: Preparations for Misty

I ground Sting to level 20, but couldn't take on Brock, so I traded over my brother's Bulbasaur.
    At first, he didn't wanted to listen, but a few vine whips later, Brock was history, and I got meeself a Boulder Badge.

Returned my brother the Bulbasaur, fought some trainers, caught Janis, and B.B.King. Went through Mt. Moon without much trouble and picked a Dome Fossil (that I'm not going to use), and two Moon Stones, that will come in handy later. In the meantime, Janis and B.B.King evolved.

Beat up Arsehat. Weakling. Defeated the Nugget Bridge easily, got a Nugget. Yay. Caught Slash, and called it a night.

Current Team:
    :t015: Sting (Lv. 20, Sassy)
    * Poison Sting.
    * Twineedle.
    * Fury Attack.
    * Focus Energy.

:t030: Janis (Lv. 20, Naughty)
    * Scratch
    * Poison Sting
    * Tail Whip
    * Double Kick

:t033: B.B.King (Lv. 20, Jolly)
    * Peck
    * Leer
    * Focus Energy
    * Double Kick

:t069: Slash (Lv. 14, Lax)
    * Vine Whip
    * Growth
    * Wrap

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
  • So, picking up where I left off, I proceeded to slaughter everything east of Vermillion. Ms. Nido has caught up to Nidoking, but Geo is still a couple levels behind. Part of that was easily remedied by attacking Vermillion Gym with only my Graveler. He even managed to beat Lt. Surge without me having to head back to the Pokemon Centre after beating the Gym trainers. Yeah, abusing Magnitute is tons of fun. (:

Next, I trecked back up to Cerulean so I could head east towards the Rock Tunnel. Ms. Nido is, unfortunately, at level 30, which means if she grows one more level, she'll stop obeying me. Geo and Nidoking are doing pretty good without her for now; they managed to deal with all the trainers before the Rock Tunnel, as well as those in the Rock Tunnel. The most annoying thing about the Tunnel was that I seemed to keep running into things that would Paralyze my Pokemon, so I had to use an Escape Rope once or twice in order to heal.

After emerging from the Rock Tunnel, I used my left over energy from the 'hike' to slaughter the trainers blocking the path to Lavendar, where I healed up. Skipping most of the trainers just west of Lavendar, I went through the Underground and made it to Celadon. I then decided to use Geo to thrash through most of Celadon Gym. Yeah, you heard me. Geo beat most of Celadon Gym. So proud of him. After receiving the Rainbow Badge, I now feel safe enough to train Ms. Nido again, since it's supposed to guarentee that Pokemon at level fifty or below will obey me. I hope Ericka didn't lie to me, because I used Ms. Nido in the battle, and she's at level 31 now.

Right now, I'm heading back to the route I skipped earlier to train Ms. Nido up to level 34/35 so she'll be at the same level as my two boys.

tachikaze316

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Big update this time, I think I'm almost done.

Spoiler:

Next time! Super special awesome completely unexpected plot twist!

Sgt_Grovyle

-Not a Grovyle fool!
    Years
  • Well, after two days of frustration and playing with the speed up button on my emulator, I have my first and only update of 1st generation.

-Began my adventure in Pallet Town with Pikachu
    -Trained Pikachu till lv 15(Learns Double Team)
    -Used Double Team to my advantage against Brock and won the Boulderbadge
    -Made it through Mt. Moon with only Pikachu and arrived in Cerulean City where I beat Misty and got the Cascade Badge
    -Beat my Rival Gary and got a Charmander to use as an HM Slave
    -Grinded it out all the way to Vermillion City and got HM01 from the captain of the SS Anne
    -Taught Charmander cut and used Double Team to my advantage again as I beat Lt. Surge's Raichu and got the Thunder Badge
    -Made my way to Route 10 where I finally caught my second Pokemon, Magnemite(lv 22)
    -Slowly and painfully made my way through the Rock Tunnel and into Lavender Town
    -Got to Celadon City and got an Eevee which I evolved into Jolteon, giving me three Pokemon
    -Thanks to the low A.I of first generation I managed to beat Erika and get the Rainbow Badge
    -To make things short, I beat Koga and Sabrina and got badges 5 and 6
    -Taught surf to the Squirtle I got in Vermilion City and went to the Power Plant where I caught a lv 40 Voltorb
    -Surfed to Cinnabar Island and beat Blaine
    -Got back to Viridian City and challenged the final gym leader
    -After failing many times, my Electrode won this battle for me by using explosion which gave me all 8 badges
    -Made it to the E4 where I lost to Lance a few times but on about the 4th try Electrode saved the day with explosion once again

The Final Fight
    Spoiler:

-After all of that frustration I finally defeated Gary and now its time to move on to Johto for more frustration!

Final Team:
    Spr_1y_025.png
    Pikachu Lv.60
    Spr_1b_082.png
    Magneton Lv.57
    Spr_2g_135.png
    Jolteon Lv.57
    Spr_1y_101.png
    Electrode Lv.55

Last edited:

Ilovetogepi

Pokemon master....in training
    Years
  • id like to try a ghost type mono in pearl/heartgold but i dont know how to hack, can someone trade me something for a ghost type egg or something? Btw, i have a question. Could i beat the first gym with my starter and then use ghosts to do my mono so i could use wifi cause i only have one ds

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • You can only hack if you are using either Action Replay or a ROM.
    As for where to find the sav hacking tool, google "pokesav"
    As for how to make the codes, look up "pokesav tutorial" on youtube. Or there's probably a tutorial on the site you downloaded from.

Anyway, I'm starting to drift away from my Normal Mono, don't worry I will get back to it. I'm going to start a Psychic UMC in the meantime just for a break from the same old challenge going on forever. I'll probably alternate between them.
    Also, I will be posting this one on youtube vids, I will just put those as my update (I will post them here)

EDIT: Alright, here it is, my first video. Make sure to turn your volume pretty low, the noise gets harsh on your ears if it's too loud.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su6DWxccQhg

How do I post the actual video (not just the link, the actual video)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back