• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I've started up my new Johto Fire Monotype Run! New Bark to Violet!

-Name: Crackin
    -Got Cyndaquil, named him Blaze
    -Got Pokegear from the cool Mum
    -Change options so everyone talked reallyfastlikethis...
    -Got shoes from the Old-Man
    -Got a 'Mysterious' Egg
    -Got a Pokedex from Prof. Oak
    -Grinded Blaze to Lv10
    -VS Red-Head Only Chil- I mean, Passerby Boy
    --Blaze VS Totodile: Tackle, Leer, [<--], Tackle, Totodile Faints!
    -Made it back to New Bark Town
    -Cops? What is this, CSI?
    -Rival: Nicko [Same name as Old Rival, Coincidence? I say Not!]
    -Gave Egg to Elm
    -Lyra jumped around in the Grass!...?
    -Got given Pokeballs after Slooooow Tutorial
    -Mom Calls..Uh-Oh, Forgot to Tell her I was leaving... Groun-ded-for-life
    -Forced Mom to save Money for me
    -Caught Hm Slave: Bellsprout!
    -Blaze evolved into Quilava!
    -Taught Slave #1 Flash
    -Violet Gym: VS Falkner
    --Blaze VS Pidgey: Ember, Pidgey Faints!
    --Blaze VS Pidgeotto: Ember, Tackle, Quick Attack, Tackle, Ember, Pidgeotto Faints!
    -Obtained Zephyr Badge!

My team is;

Quilava [Blaze] Lv17
    -Tackle
    -Quick Attack
    -SmokeScreen
    -Ember

EDIT: Violet to Azelea! Getting our Second Gym Badge!

-Recieved Egg from Elm's assistant... How much does he get paid?
    -'Kimono' Girl? What kind of name is that? Anyways, she said something, wasn't listening
    -Made it to Union Cave
    -Made it out, Barely Scratched
    -Defeated Team Rocket
    -Azelea Gym: VS Bugsy [He, She!?!? It!?]
    --Blaze VS Scyther: Ember, Focus Energy, Quick Attack [Crit], Ember, Scyther Faints!
    --Blaze VS Metapod [This is hardly fair]: Ember, Metapod Melted!
    --Blaze VS Kakuna [Seriously, it's Suicide!]: Ember, Kakuna Turned to Dust!
    -Obtained Hive Badge!

My Team is;

Quilava [Blaze] Lv24
    Serious Nature
    -Flame Wheel
    -Quick Attack
    -SmokeScreen
    -Ember

Last edited:
    Years
  • I beat the Kanto Water Monotype Challenge. Now I only have Sinnoh and possibly Ishuu.

Final Team:

Blastoise (Atlas)
    Level: 57

Gyarados (Legion)
    Level: 56

Vaporeon (Steam)
    Level: 56

Lapras (Staller)
    Level: 25

Tentacool (Stall 2)
    Level: 33

Gym MVP: Atlas. He was my tank.
    Elite 4 MVP: Steam. Ice Beam got rid of those pesky Dragons and Venasaur
    Gym LVP: Legion. He just didn't have many strong points.
    Elite 4 LVP: Shockingly Atlas. I foolishly gave him Skull Bash

Here is a screenshot of my victory:

Pokemon-FireRedVersionUSA03.jpg

Once again:

1. Can I use the GTS in Platinum?
    2. I completed the Johto Water Monotype awhile ago so please add my name to Johto's list too.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm going for the Normal challenge in Hoenn. Am I allowed to have a Swellow??
    Swellow is Part Normal-Type so yes, you can use it.

Azelea to Goldenrod! Battling the Snobby Brat!

-VS Rival: Nicko
    --Blaze VS Gastly: Ember, Gastly Faints!
    --Blaze VS Croconaw: Quick Attack, Water Gun, Quick Attack, Scary Face, [<--], [<--], Quick Attack, Croconaw Faints!
    --Blaze VS Zubat: Supersonic [Miss], Ember, Quick Attack, Zubat Faints!
    -Caught Farfetch'd #1
    -Caught Farfetch'd #2
    -Got Cut and Taught to Slave #1
    -Collected Charcoal
    -Taught Blaze Headbutt
    -It's... oh, It's just Kiminu Gal or whatever her name is... Blaze! Stop Helping Her!
    -Got Through Ilex Forest
    -Lyra shows us her Grandpa & Grandma... Creepy much?
    -Got a Freebie Bike!
    -Got Usless Fashion Case
    -Took Team Rocket Pict- Slave! Get out of the Picture!
    -Got Radio Card!!!
    -Some Girl said sh'e Gym Leader, Pffft, Yeah Right...
    -Got to teh gym Lead- Seriously! That Girl IS The Gym Leader!
    -Goldenrod Gym: VS Whitney
    --Blaze VS Clefairy: Ember, DoubleSlap [3], Ember, Clefairy Faints!
    --Blaze VS Miltank: Ember, Stomp, Ember, Milk Drink, [<--], Ember, Attract, Switch To Bellsprout, Milk Drink, Potion > Blaze, Stomp, Slave #1 Faints! Go Blaze! Ember [Burn], Stomp, Ember, Stupid Cow Faints!
    -Obtained... HEY! SHE DIDN'T GIVE ME MY BADGE!
    -Obtained Plain Badge! [For Reals!]

My Team is;

Quilava [Blaze] Lv28
    Serious Nature @Charcoal
    -Flame Wheel
    -Headbutt
    -SmokeScreen
    -Ember

Bellsprout [Slave #1]

Plan on getting Arcanine and Magmortar... Maybe Rapidash

Zaos

Pokémaniac
    Years
  • Been a couple of days, but big update again xD

Spoiler:

And thats it for this update :P

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • Update #2:

-Trained everyone up to level 10.
    -Battled the trainers up to Petalburg city
    -Did the boring Wally bit.
    -Battled everyone up to Rustboro city
    -Beat the gym leader with Lucas & Nathan and got myself the Stone badge :D

Next onto Dewford island (Or town/city? Idk..)

Team:
    emesprani258.gif

Lucas/Mudkip - L14
    -Water gun
    -Growl
    -Mud-slap
    -Tackle
    emesprani278.gif

Haley/Wingull - L13
    -Water gun
    -Wing attack
    -Growl
    -Supersonic
    emesprani270.gif

Nathan/Lotad - L13
    -Absorb
    -Nature power
    -Astonish
    -Growl

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I went to Mt. Coronet and beat Team Galactic for the last time. I then went to Sunyshore City where I beat Volkner in an electrifying battle (pun intended). The battle was really difficult as all my Pokemon were weak. I then headed north to Victory Road were I travelled through and reached the Pokemon League. I beat my rival and then trained a bit. I then challenged the Elite 4. Aaron was really easy because all my Pokemon were super effective, I used Mothim, Honchkrow and Vespiquen. Bertha was easy thanks to Mothim and Gyarados. Flint was incredibly easy because I swept him with only Gyarados. Lucian was harder and I used all my Pokemon. Cynthia was the most difficult. I used all my Pokemon again. My two saviour moves were Gyarados's Dragon Dance and Vespiquen's Destiny Bond. I have now finished the 4th part of my Ultimate Flying Monotype Challenge. I'll wait for Pokemon Black to come out in English before I do that but in the mean time I'll do a challenge on Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. (Completed: 4/6)
    Spr_4d_398_m.png

Mukuhawk (Staraptor) Lv49.
    Moves: Close Combat, Endeavor, Quick Attack, Brave Bird.
    Spr_4d_130_m.png

Koiking (Gyarados) Lv51.
    Moves: Ice Fang, Surf, Dragon Dance, Waterfall.
    Spr_4d_416.png

Beequeen (Vespiquen) Lv47.
    Moves: Heal Order, Attack Order, Power Gem, Destiny Bond.
    Spr_4d_430.png

Donkarasu (Honchkrow) Lv48.
    Moves: Night Shade, Night Slash, Fly, Wing Attack.
    Spr_4d_414.png

Gamale (Mothim) Lv47.
    Moves: Bug Buzz, Air Slash, Solar Beam, Psychic.
    Spr_4d_426.png

Fuwaride (Drifblim) Lv47.
    Moves: Gust, Thunder, Shadow Ball, Ominous Wind.

Years
  • Can't be stuffed playing, so I'll just post my progress from the last few days. Johto is extremely boring. I like VBA's speed button alot better xD

-Got the Bad-ass... SquirtBottle!
    -Skipped some battles on Route 35
    -Squirted Odd Tree! Odd Tree Attacked!??!?!
    -Defeated Extremely Odd Tree
    -Caught Growlithe and named Ashe Jr.
    -Blaze learnt Swift
    -Put Ashe Jr. in Daycare
    -Rode around for a bit
    -Bike Shop Guy rang me and said I could keep the bike... Wait, it wasn't mine already!?
    -Took Ashe Jr. out at Lv19
    -Ashe Jr. Learnt Flame Wheel
    -Put Ashe Jr. back in
    -Took him back out at Lv21
    -Battled Remaining Trainers
    -Got the Dowsing Machine
    -VS Rival: Nicko
    --Ashe Jr. VS Gastly: Flame Wheel, Gastly Faints!
    --Blaze VS Croconaw: Headbutt, Scary Face, Scary Face, Headbutt, Scary Face, Headbutt [Crit], Croconaw Faints!
    --Ashe Jr. VS Zubat: Flame Wheel, Supersonic, Confused [Hurt-Self], Wing Attack, [<--], Super Potion > Ashe Jr., Bite, [Confusion Gone] Flame Wheel, Zubat Faints!
    --Ashe Jr. VS Magnemite: Flame Wheel, Magnemite Faints!
    -Legendary Dogs ran away
    -Caught a Magmar and named Torcher
    -Found Raikou by accident
    -Obtained Dig and taught to Ashe Jr.

My Team is;

Quilava [Blaze] Lv31
    Serious Nature @Charcoal
    -Flame Wheel
    -Headbutt
    -SmokeScreen
    -Ember

Growlithe [Ashe Jr.] Lv24
    Hasty Nature @None
    -Ember
    -Leer
    -Flame Wheel
    -Dig

Magmar [Torcher] Lv16
    Impish Nature @None
    -Leer
    -Ember
    -SmokeScreen
    -Faint Attack

Bellsprout [Slave #1]

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I might as well post here - I've beaten some monotype runthroughs before and also have another going atm too!

A couple of years ago, I beat Emerald with a grass-type only challenge. Upon beating the E4, I had... *fires up Emerald game* A Sceptile, Ludicolo, Shiftry, Tropius lv 50, and Cradily and Breloom lv 51. Hmm, rather well-rounded... Can't say I remember much of that though now, besides Breloom and Ludicolo being rather useful. =D

Recently I have also beaten HG with another grass-type monoteam, which was more challenging than Emerald methinks. (After all, the first two gyms are super-effective against me, and Bugsy's Scyther's U-turn...urrgh). A lot of my tactics in the early gyms involved posionpowder and then chip damage/trying not to die. XD Once my Skiploom got Leech seed I added that to my stragedy... that came in useful, certainly, as did using a few TMs like Earthquake to my Tangrowth. =D Lance was rather hard, and Red I used a lot of Revives because I didn't bother grinding any extra before taking him on. XD

Final team there was Meganium (whose Petal Dance and Body Slam were the main moves I took advantage of in the end), Tangrowth (EQ, Power Whip, Rock Slide heck yeah!), Jumpluff (Sleep Power - Leech Seed - Giga Drain - Uturn probably makes it clear how I used this guy, heh), Victreebel (Sludge Bomb and Leaf Blade ftw) and Exeggutor (once I bothered evolving after it learnt Psychic he became very useful - also was my Sunny Day user along with Solarbeam) ended up on level 56, and Parasect (Spore and X-Scissor, and Quick Claw activated often at times finished on level 55.

And currently it's a Bug-type runthrough with HG. I'm currently in the TR hideout in Mahogany with 6 badges, having gotten past the first floor of 'traps'. Team is thus far...
    127.png

Level 28
    Only has fighting-type moves atm. XD Soon should get a bug-one though methinks? All right for me thus far, less so against Morty though. =p
    48.png

Level 29
    Soon will evolve so slogging it out with this fellow for the moment, Psybeam has helped and Supersonic is decent with Coumpoundeyes as an ability. =) Also poison power for any stally battles I have with it (because it can't hit very hard directly).
    204.png

Level 29
    Also near evolution. Headbutt via tutor and Bug Bite have been ok for it to use thus far, and it has Selfdestruct if I want to go suicidal (but I haven't needed to do that yet).
    168.png

Level 28
    All right - was useful against Morty with the likes of Shadow Sneak as he evolved just before that battle, heh. Just got Sucker Punch, otherwise average moves. Helped in the first gym battle as well.
    214.png

Level 28
    Most useful member atm. Caught after getting headbutt and grinded with this fellow, and with the likes of Brick Break, A-Ace and Headbutt (and also Counter for my battle against Jasmine - darn Steelix called for desperate measures) he's the powerhouse I guess.
    12.png

Level 28
    Another useful member and my first one too (just before spinarak anyways). Coumpoundeyes is a useful ability indeed with the likes of Sleep Powder, heh. Also recently got Psybeam and Silver Wind so her usefulness grows! (Most helpful against Bugsy too).

That's it thus far, I'll update when I have time to play more. -_-
    (Also of note - a shiny Miltank/Donphan found in these challenges! =D)

Ataraxia

Wanderer
    Years
  • Sorry, but I'm putting my Poison UMC on hold for the time being. RL has thrown itself upon me with all it's annoying might... :S

Years
  • -Metal geared my way through The Magma Hideout (love the grunts' dialogue, they are hilarious)
    -caught a Swellow for fly, sick of walking everywhere
    -Went through the Aqua Hideout, picking up the master ball
    -Went to Mossdeep
    -Tate and Liza were a lot harder than I'd anticipated, since neither Beautifly nor Ninjask could endure a Psychic, much less a flamethrower. But on my second attempt, I used some tricks (don't remember what exactly, since it was a few days ago)
    -Went through the seafloor cavern, and hey, found a TM26
    -Beat.... Archie? Is that his name, ahh whatever. The team Aqua leader.
    -Went to Sootopolis, Honest question. I have a master ball. Kyorge and Groudon are just kinda standing/floating around starring at each other. Why can't to toss my masterball at one of them? Heck, where did the lump of seemingly volcanic earth that groudon is standing on come from? talked to Wallace, went to sky pillar, flew back, and problem solved.
    -Went into the gym, and lost to Jaun, my biggest problem was his Kingdra. So i went to level grind my Altaria
    -When I came back, Steven and Wallace were still standing there... They must be bored.
    -Beat Jaun with ease once Altaria could 2HKO Kingdra
    -Went to the falls, and grabbed TM02.
    -Currently surfing to Ever Grande to tackle victory road, the hardest of the four IMHO
    Current Team
    Spr_3e_279.gif

Pelipper(lvl 48)
    -Surf
    -Shock Wave
    -Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power (Psychic)
    Spr_3e_267.gif

Beautifly (lvl 47)
    -Giga Drain
    -Silver Wind
    -Gust
    -Facade
    Spr_3e_291.gif

Ninjask (lvl 44)
    -Swords Dance
    -Slash
    -Shadow Ball
    -Dig
    Spr_3e_334.gif

Altaria (lvl 48)
    -Aerial Ace
    -Dragon Claw
    -Dragon Dance
    -Earthquake

At this point, Ninjask is in the most need of some leveling up, and Beautifly's moveset sucks. Anyone have any ideas on what i should teach it?

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • At this point, Ninjask is in the most need of some leveling up, and Beautifly's moveset sucks. Anyone have any ideas on what i should teach it?
    Well, you should have an Aerial Ace TM that you got from Winona, so use that to replace Gust. It can't learn Fly, which sucks, and unfortunately, both Bug and Flying moves are Physical moves in Gen III, but STAB moves are always good.

Also Psychic would be a good addition, as Beautifly has the SpA to use it well, and it's one of the more powerful moves Beautifly can learn. Silver Wind is fine for STAB and type coverage, as is Giga Drain, but Facade is kind of wasted here, so when you get the Psychic TM (buy it from the Mauville Game Corner), replace Facade with it.

Who is your Flying Pokemon? Teach Fly to Altaria and replace Aerial Ace, unless you want the perfect accuracy. You should also have the Return TM. Teach it to Ninjask, stat. I would forget Slash.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • Update:

-Went North and beat all the trainers and defeated the Team Aqua grunt
    -Returned the Devon goods to the distraught guy
    -Went South and battle May - won fairly easily.
    -Continued South and reached the old guys house
    -Blocked the nice man from running after 'Peeko' long enough to ask him to take me to Dewford
    -Reached Dewford & trained for a bit against the little Arons - both Lucas & Nathan evolved!
    -Beat the gym trainers & defeated Brawly, earning myself the Knuckle badge :D

Next onto Slateport...

Team:

emesprani259.gif

Lucas/Marshtomp - L17
    -Water gun

-Bide
    -Mud shot
    -Tackle
    emesprani278.gif

Haley/Wingull - L18
    -Water gun
    -Wing attack
    -Growl
    -Supersonic
    emesprani271.gif

Nathan/Lombre - L18
    -Absorb
    -Nature power
    -Astonish
    -Growl

Years
  •   Hoenn is complete!
    -made it through victory road
    -grinded up to level 50
    -stocked up on items
    Sidney Battle:
    Mightyena: started with Beautifly, used Silver Wind, it used double edge. Same sequence again. Silver wind didn't put it out, but the recoil from Double Edge KO'd us both
    Absol: Sent out Pelipper. I used Swords Dance, I revived Beautifly with a Revival Herb. Surf OHKO Absol next turn
    Shiftry: OHKO with Silver Wind
    Cacturne: OHKO with Silver Wind
    Crawdaunt: 2HKO with a pair of Giga Drains

Phoebe Battle:
    Dusclops 1: OHKO with a Crit Shadow Ball from Ninjask after a protect wasted a turn
    Banette 1: Shadow ball didn't put it down, and it hit a crit thunderbolt, Dragon Claw from altaria finished the job
    Dusclops 2: Dragon Claw did little, and it used Ice Beam. Earthquake didn't do much either. Another Ice beam put my Altaria away. Surf, it threw rock slide, but it didn't do too much so surf put it away
    Banette 2: Surf didn't quite put it away. So next turn, I used an X Special, since I knew she'd heal, so surf put it away the second time around.
    Sableye: traded shots with Beautifly, but lost. She healed, but got a crit surf.

Glacia Battle:
    Sealeo 1: used 3 x specials, I started Hail, and I ate a pair of Body Slams/ OHKo with Shock Wave thanks to the X items
    Glalie 1: Was able to 2HKO it with Shock Wave, but it was hard to sneak in the second hit, had to keep healing.
    Sealeo 2: OHKO with shock wave
    Glalie 2: I healed, it set up hail. I shock waved, it exploded…
    Walrien: I sent out Taillow, and healed Pelipper. I sent Pelipper out. The only time I could hit it was when it either missed sheer cold, or I survived ice beam. The final shock wave that put her away I had 3 hp left

Drake battle:
    Shelgon: I used an x special, it protected. It got 2 protects in a row, but I landed the 3rd ice beam
    Salamene: Survived a Dragon Claw, and OHKO with Ice beam
    Altaria: It used Dragon Dance, but got OHKO'd with Ice Beam
    Kingdra: I dragon Clawed with Altaria, it dragon danced. It dragon danced again, and Altaria got the KO
    Flygon: Survived a Dragon breath and OHKO with Ice beam

Wallace Battle
    Wailord: Shock Wave's until it went down, took quite a few
    Tentacruel: Tried to take it out with Beautifly unsuccessfully. Shock Wave put it out
    Milotic: Basically kept eating Ice Beam's until he ran out of it, and wailed on it until he wasted all his full restores and hacked away with shock wave
    Ludicolo: 2HKO with Aerial Ace
    Gyarados: 2HKO with shock Wave
    Wishcash: 2HKO with Giga Drain

Final Team
    Spr_3e_279.gif

Pelipper(lvl 54)
    -Surf
    -Shock Wave
    -Ice Beam
    -Hidden Power (Psychic)
    Spr_3e_267.gif

Beautifly (lvl 50)
    -Giga Drain
    -Silver Wind
    -Psychic
    -Facade
    Spr_3e_291.gif

Ninjask (lvl 50)
    -Swords Dance
    -Slash
    -Shadow Ball
    -Dig
    Spr_3e_334.gif

Altaria (lvl 51)
    -Aerial Ace
    -Dragon Claw
    -Dragon Dance
    -Earthquake

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • I started the Orre part of my challenge on Pokemon XD. I did the starting stuff I then caught a Ledyba. I continued on following the storyline and Ledyba evolved. I then beat the admin and freed Professor Crane. I then caught a Zubat. I am currently in Pyrite Town.
    166.gif

Redian (Ledian) Lv25.
    Moves: Psybeam, Refresh, Aerial Ace, Supersonic.
    041.gif

Nostenfer (Zubat) Lv14.
    Moves: Leech Life, Supersonic, Astonish.

Years
  • Sinnoh Update#1
    -Chose Turtwig as my starter
    -Caught a Starly, which was a PAIN to level up
    -It evolved on the way to Oreburgh
    -Defeated Roark with a combination of Double Team, potions, wing and quick attacks. Not an easy task
    -Helped Dawn and the Prof.
    -Went to Floaroma town and kicked the glactics out of the windworks
    -I now must wait until Friday when i can catch Drifloon...ugh
    Current Team:
    Spr_4p_397_m.png

Staravia (lvl 22)
    -Endeavor
    -Double Team
    -Wing Attack
    -Quick Attack

Hm Slave
    Turtwig: Rock Smash

Years
  • Finishing Up Ecruteak! Grinding like Hell XP

-Grinded Torcher to Lv26
    -Ashe Jr. Learnt Reversal [How Useful for this gym -_-]
    -Damn You Confuse Ray!!!
    -Ecruteak Gym: VS Morty
    --Ashe Jr. VS Gastly: Flame Wheel, Gastly Faints!
    --Torcher VS Gengar: Mean Look, Faint Attack, Hypnosis, [Sleep], Awakening > Torcher, Shadow Ball, Shadow Ball, Torcher Faints! Go, Blaze! Sucker Punch, Flame Wheel, Hyper Potion > Gengar, Ember, Flame Wheel, Gengar Faints!
    --Ashe Jr. VS Haunter: Hypnosis, [Sleep], Awakwning > Ashe Jr., Dream Eater [Miss], Hypnoisis, [Sleep], Awakening > Ashe Jr., Dream eater [Miss], Curse, Flame Wheel, Haunter Faints!
    --Blaze VS Haunter: Sucker Punch, Ember, Ember, Haunter Faints!
    -Obtained Fog Badge!
    -Stopped Team Rocket Grunt from getting Lap Dance from Kimono!
    -Obtained Surf!
    -Obtained Strength!
    -Obtained Save File!... Complete!

My Team is;

Quilava [Blaze] Lv32
    Serious Nature @Charcoal
    -Flame Wheel
    -Headbutt
    -Swift
    -Ember

Growlithe [Ashe Jr.] Lv26
    Hasty Nature @None
    -Ember
    -Reversal

-Flame Wheel
    -Dig

Magmar [Torcher] Lv26

Impish Nature @None
    -Fire Spin
    -Ember
    -Confuse Ray
    -Faint Attack

Bellsprout [Slave #1]

Years
  • R/B/Y Electric Monotype Challenge Update #5
    -Cleared out Silph, beating Rival and Giovanni
    -Beat Sabrina
    -Surf to Cinnabar
    -Beat Lance
    -Went to Vermillion
    -handed Giovanni's Pokemon Fissured rears on a platter. How? it went like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP-vzVjw2W0&p (not my video)
    -That's all for now. Off to work I go
    Current Team:
    Spr_1y_025.png

Pikachu (Lvl 44)
    -Thunderbolt
    -mega Punch
    -Quick attack
    -Thunder Shock
    Spr_1y_135.png

Jolteon (lvl 47)
    -Pin Missle
    -Double Kick