• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
But you can get Lapras after 2 badges!
He's right, if you skip stuff, you can get larpras, starmie and poliwrath with only 2 badges.

Anyways, no update on my Fighting UMC, was DS has wandered... So i started an electric run on crystal. I didn't realize Mareep wasn't in crystal, so my first pokemon was elekid, hatched from the egg. I've beaten Whitney, and am currently grinding my team before Morty

Current Team:
Spr_2c_239.gif

Elekid (lvl 25)
-Thunder Punch
-Dizzy Punch
-Quick Attack
-Headbutt
Spr_2c_133.gif

Eevee (lvl 24)
-Tackle
-Quick Attack
-Mud Slap
-Sand-Attack
Spr_2c_170.gif

Chinchou (lvl 23)
-Surf
-Thunder Wave
-Flail
-Supersonic

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update for Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Normal).

Final Update (#4) on Crystal.

Yay, Red is defeated!

I have to say that this team was fun to play with, especially Miltank and Furret, who I had never used before. And I love Return even more than I did before.

Anyway, here's a summary with screenshots of what happened since I was last in Lavender Town.

Spoiler:

So the Hoenn region is up next. Gonna be using Emerald.

Team Norma:
Spr_2c_036.gif

Fable the Clefable, ♀ - L60 @ NeverMeltIce
Moves: Return, Ice Beam, Psychic, Thunderbolt
Spr_2c_018.gif

Gerald the Pidgeot, ♀ - L60 @ Sharp Beak
Moves: Return, Fly, Steel Wing, Quick Attack
Spr_2c_241.gif

Miss Tank the Miltank, ♀ - L60 @ Pink Bow
Moves: Body Slam, Milk Drink, Earthquake, Rollout
Spr_2c_162.gif

Phil the Furret, ♂ - L60 @ Pink Bow
Moves: Return, Quick Attack, Shadow Ball, Dig
Spr_2c_152.gif

Chikorita, ♂ - L6
Slave Moves: Flash, Cut
Spr_2c_054.gif

Psyduck, ♀ - L13
Slave Moves: Surf, Whirlpool, Rock Smash, Waterfall

Most Valuable Pokemon:
Johto MVP: Fable. She was my only special attacker with the elemental punches, although there was no real clear-cut winner here. Phil and Gerald were the ones to dominate the early gameplay, and they made their presence known throughout the later stages, as did Miss Tank.
Elite Four MVP: Miss Tank. Rollout was the reason I won against Lance, as Fable's Ice Punch just wasn't enough. She also dominated against Koga.
Kanto MVP: Miss Tank. She was the one who had the most effect in the gyms, although it was a beatdown all the way through from everyone. Earthquake was huge here.
Red MVP: Miss Tank. Took down Pikacu, and was able to take down Espeon through a Reflect with paralyze hax Body Slam. Also whittled down Snorlax. The other three members were able to build off of her effort and play key roles down the stretch, with a little help from the weather.

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
Years
Signing up!

I thought this sounded interesting. Why not.

RSE Challenge
I'll be adventuring through the lands of Hoenn (in Ruby ver.) while kicking butt and taking names with my trusty Bug Type Pokemon. Team Magma... will quiver in fear.

Gonna start here soon, but this is my first time doing a challenge here on PC (or anywhere for that matter). Anything I should be aware of? And anything specific for sharing updates?

-- 50 pages is a lot to catch up on, but I'm doing it! :E

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Time to finish my dragon Blue run.

Beat Giovanni in Silph, Sabrina, and then Giovanni again to get my 8th badge.
Drilled Gary.
Got through Victory Road, then went back til I had 2 Dragonites.
E4 time.
Spoiler:

all done.
Spoiler:

firefoxkatan

Pokemon Knitter
Years
Fire type challenge in Fire Red Update 1

So I started last night and was doing great. I'm playing on an Emulator only because my Fire Red cartridge is packed away. Named myself Katan (as usual) my Rival Alex after my favorite ex-boyfriend <3 and started out with Charmander, nick naming him Blaze. I knew there wasn't going to get many Fire types until later but this is proving to be more difficult than I though :<

I made it past Brock ok at Lv. 16 no problem but now I am at Misty and her Staryu I can take down in two-three hits but her Starmie's Water Pulse cuts right threw Blaze's HP :/ and he's Lv. 30 right now. I might just skip Misty for now and try too run to Route 8 to snag a
Growlithe. Any advice?

Last edited:

Cathar

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 23, 2016
@firefoxkatan: Yeah, soloing Misty with Charmeleon in FireRed is even harder than in the original games. Your only hope is to level some more and land a critical with Slash. (At least that's the only way I ever won that one)

Just a quick reply to tell you all that my UMC Ground isn't dead. Just had a few exams and no time to update.

My 4 Pokés are now past Level 70 and rocking the world. I grinded a lot by doing some runs against the E4 and then finished the Kanto badges.

At the moment, I'm collecting Gym leader phone numbers for rematches to train more.

What average level is enough to beat Red? I love my current team but I really want to move on to Emerald soon.

Cheers,
Peter

Edit: By the way, not that I care much about it, but is the first post still updated with new challengers (like me)?

Last edited:

firefoxkatan

Pokemon Knitter
Years
Thank you for the advice, I noticed running around that I need to beat her to get cut so I can leave the area XD Go figure LOL Off to level some more x_X LOL

Hawkfire-the-cat

I wrote this ya know
Years
  • Seen May 2, 2012
He's right, if you skip stuff, you can get larpras, starmie and poliwrath with only 2 badges.
Sorry, didn't know that, my bad :embarrass (haven't played blue before *started at johto* only Firered, so that's why I didn't know... I've already hacked in omanyte though *and leveled it up heaps-ish* so I'll probably just do it in normal order, but thanks anyway both of you)

-Chose starter, squirtle of course
-Killed rival's bulbasaur with a ton of crits
-Hacked in omanyte (I did this last night, before I knew you could get Lapras that early...)
-Made it through viridian forest
-OKOed Brock with omanyte's water gun
-Made it through Mt moon, chosing dome fossil
-Entered Cerulean city.

Team
Marku/Wartorle Moko/Omanyte
rbspr008.png
rbspr138.png

Planned team: blastoise, omanyte, starmie, lapras, poliwrath, seadra

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Um, on my Normal Platinum I beat Maylene. Got Staraptor the last Pokemon of the last of the Karate Quads. Proceeded to OHKO everything with Aerial Ace/Close Combat. Then I got Fly. I have a few HMs that I can use, I just don't know what I want to use on who.

And to whoever asked if it was still getting updated: yes it is. If you're doing an ultimate challenge, Alakazam updates it around once a month. I just update my stuff.

Edit: Now, if everyone looks at my OP, under the RBY champion section, the can see that I'm a good like 3 types from completing all of them. I'm thinking about making a new "category" on the OP for people who want to do this, what should I call it?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Going to do an Ultimate Poison monotype, starting with Blue. No screenshots though, using actual cartridge for Kanto.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
Beat Whitney in my Fire UMC. Beat Morty, too, and am currently scouring a certain tower for a certain fire Pokemon. >.< Maybe I should just make this a duo run...

Team:
Vulpix (Izanami) Lv. 26
Quilava (Izanagi) Lv. 28

Normally I keep my Pokemon unevolved for as long as I can stand, to learn moves faster and to have the better experience rates, but I want Thunder Punch as soon as possible. >.< Just a few more levels!

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Beat Whitney in my Fire UMC. Beat Morty, too, and am currently scouring a certain tower for a certain fire Pokemon. >.< Maybe I should just make this a duo run...

Team:
Vulpix (Izanami) Lv. 26
Quilava (Izanagi) Lv. 28

Normally I keep my Pokemon unevolved for as long as I can stand, to learn moves faster and to have the better experience rates, but I want Thunder Punch as soon as possible. >.< Just a few more levels!
Make sure you're in the basement. I made that mistake when I did that run.

Edit: Doing Ice, hacking in a Seel. I think I'm going to do it in story form.

Spoiler:

Got tired of making a story:
Got to the elite four with level 42 Lapras (Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Body Slam, Surf), 48 Jynx (Psychic, Ice Beam, Body Slam, Lovely Kiss), 49 Dewgong (Surf, Ice Beam, Body Slam, Strength) 30 Shellder (Tri Attack, Surf, Clamp, Supersonic), and HM Slave Farfetchd (Cut, Fly)
Used 6 Rare Candies on Lapras
Beat Loreli with Thunderbolt from Lapras and my Jynx beat her Jynx
One shot Bruno with either Psychic or Surf (you decide which move was for which Pokemon)
Jynx destroyed Agatha
Lapras had fun with Lance
Lapras soloed Gary, with the exception of Venusaur, who I let Jynx take out.

Obligatory screenshots:
icemonobluedone.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, my theme was "shades of Blue". Majorelle was the original Lapras name, but when I couldn't name Jynx Maya, I went with Maya for Lapras.

Last edited:

Hawkfire-the-cat

I wrote this ya know
Years
  • Seen May 2, 2012
Update two:

-Grinded a level or two then battled Misty. Moko eventually got fainted by starmie, but Marku quickly saved the day.
-Went up nugget bridge, refuse TR's offer, saved Bill
-Went to SS Anne and got cut, picked up old rod but I'm not trying to get a magikarp
-Caught bellsprout HM slave, called it FLASHHEAD and taught it cut
-Went through diglett's tunnel to get flash
-Got it, then went back to Vermillion to battle Surge
-He actually won the first time round (I OKOed his first 2 mons with Marku's dig, but he was then killed by a thundershock crit, and the same happened to Moko)
-I OKOed all his mons the second time round though, can't wait until I get to Fuchsia and grab the good rod.

Team: Marku
rbspr008.png
Moko
rbspr138.png
both @ lv30

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
The next part of my Poison UMC

first i captured a tentacool (Iris) and a zubat (Hades) and grindend them.
Brawly was the easiest gym leader possible. with two 4x fight resists Zubat (while at lv. 14) made quick work of his pokémon.
Beated the grunts and trainers around slateport and captured an oddish and a Gulpin. nicknamed... Jungle and Smog (Original huh?)
i trainend them up a little bit. evolving zubat and oddish
I got taken down by Wattson thanks to his damn sonic boom and parafusion hax
I grinend my whole team to lv. 30 and even wattson's parafusion (giving your pokémon antiparalyz berries works fantastic) died to my own parahax and some strong attacks

beatingwattsonpoisonumc.png

The team: (3 badges)

dpmfa269.png

Missile (Dustox)
lv. 30
Quiet nature
- Moonlight
- Psybeam
- Protect
- Gust

Hades (Crobat)
lv. 30
Rash nature
- Confuse ray
- Bite
- Wing attack
- Steel wing

TentacruelNormalSprite.gif

Iris (Tentacruel)
lv. 30
Naive nature
- Acid
- Bubble beam
- Cut
- Wrap

317.png

Smog (Swalot)
lv. 30
Lonely nature
- Sludge
- Bodyslam
- Yawn
- Amnesia

Jungle (Gloom)
lv. 30
Lax nature
- Absorb
- Acid
- Sleep powder
- Poison powder

Let's get my next badge the... what badge was the fourth again? Whatever i just go on to the fourth badge!

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Am I allowed to restart just the Johto Leg of my Normal UMC? It just kind of... failed... and I would like to switch to a game that has Girafarig in it (I think it's Silver?)

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Am I allowed to restart just the Johto Leg of my Normal UMC? It just kind of... failed... and I would like to switch to a game that has Girafarig in it (I think it's Silver?)
Dude, what happened? anyway, gold or silver has Girafarig. And I don't see why you wouldn't be able to start over.

AyameHikaru

Beauty Queen
Years
  • Seen Jul 7, 2013
Myrrh, you have just rendered my last four hours' searching rather embarrassing. >//////< *ahem* To the basement I go...

Years
i've restarted legs twice, so yeah i'm assuming its fine. and gold and silver both have girafarig

Speaking of restarting, i restart the sinnoh leg of my fighting UMC on Platinum last night. Got to the clown question thing. forgot to save. ughhhhh. so far, i really hate this leg. and since im not overly motivated, it took me like 40 minutes to get to where i had been when i hadn't saved (which is kind of sad). i beat my rival and a few trainers, chimchar evolved. thats it for tonight, im really not into playing tonight.

Current Team
Spr_4p_391.png

Monferno (lvl 14)
-Mach Punch
-Leer
-Ember
-Taunt

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Poison UMC Update 1
-Picked Bulbasaur, named "HMSLAVE". Defeated Charmander using the free potion.
-Delivered Oak's Parcel, got Pokedex.
-Captured a female Nidoran. Named "Lina".
-Trained Lina to Lv14, HMSLAVE to Lv9.
-Beat Brock with Leech Seed and switching to Lina. Onix has incredible skills at dodging Poison Sting.
-Evolved Lina on path to Mt. Moon.
-Collected two Moon Stones in Mt. Moon.
-Evolved to Nidoqueen
-Got to Cerulean. Beat rival, Nugget Bridge. Learned Body Slam.
-Beat Misty with Body Slam.
-Went to Vermillion.
-Destroyed rival. Got HMCut.
-Taught HMCut to HMSLAVE. Defeated Lt. Surge.
-Got Bike.

Current Team:
Lina
Nidoqueen
Body Slam
Growl
Scratch
Poison Sting

Currently preparing for Tentacruel and Venomoth, who I should be happening upon rather shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back