• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remnants

Bringer of Hope
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
This looks really interesting, and I've never tried a challenge before. That's why today, I am deciding to take on the Ultimate Mono-Type Challenge using my sturdy ground-type pokemon!

Hawkfire-the-cat

I wrote this ya know
Years
  • Seen May 2, 2012
Small update, got through rock tunnel and beat TR in celadon. Going to skip Erika and get a couple of team mates first, I can't get them until I go to Fushia though. Marku evolved though, and Moko's not to far off.

Team:
Blastoise/Marku
Omanyte/Moko

vudw

Nocturnal Insomnia
Years
Vudw - Bug Mono Emerald Day 1-2

Pokemon Type: BUG
Game: Emerald Cartridge
Battle Style: SET

Meet trainer Kilik. Trainer Kilik chose a mudkip, promptly named Skotch and dubbed a future HM slave. Your future looks bright, Skotch!

Obtained pokeballs; catch level 3 wurmple; ????; Profit!! Welcome to the team, Balutre~ Commence grinding! .o.
What a beautiful... Dustox~ (I love her already!)
Skotch is boxed for the time being.

We meet Wally, then meet a kid who thinks leaving footprints in the sand is fun (guessing he's related to the footprint man in D/P/Pt, hah), and catch a silcoon in Petalburg Woods. Say hello, Cuvossi.

Skip over Rustboro gym for now and catch a Nincada (one of my favorite bug types). Name him Dahj. :3 Grind a few battles, aaaaand... PRESTO! Cuvossi evolved into beautifly~

Finally decide to try out the gym, despite the fact that I will most likely get crushed (literally). Status: running away! (and dropping money everywhere!!!) Next time...

-grindgrindgrindyouknowneverminddoitagain-

Battle 2. Cuvossi KO'd, 1 hit. Balutre KO'd, 2 hits. Nahj... SWEEPED THEM. Harden/Sand Attack/Leech Life. You are my love. <3

Current...
TEAM:

Dustox, 'Balutre'
Lv. 14, Female
- Tackle
- Confusion
- Poison Sting
- Harden

Beautifly, 'Cuvossi'
Lv. 13, Male
- Harden
- Absorb
- Gust

Nincada, 'Dahj'
Lv. 12, Male
- Scratch
- Harden
- Leech Life
- Sand Attack

BOX:

Mudkip, 'Skotch', Lv. 8

Going good so far. :3
Also, FREEZING RAIN. It sucks. I like rain but...

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Small update. Fought through the cave between Cerulean and Lavender that requires Flash using many repels. Defeated TR Hideout and Pokemon Tower, and killed one of the Snorlaxes (Note to self: Catch other for Pokedex) and recieved the Super Rod. Caught Tentacool (Tetrid) at Lv15 and I'm grinding him currently.

Lina the Nidoqueen Lv42 (Possibly Lv43)
Body Slam, Scratch (Will be replaced with Strength),
Rock Slide, Poison Sting (Will be replaced with Earthquake)

Tetrid the Tentacool (Approximately Lv22)
Bubblebeam, Wrap (Will be replaced with Mega Drain),
Supersonic (Will be replaced with Surf), Ice Beam

HM Slaves: Bulbasaur (Cut), Pidgey (Fly), Voltorb (Flash)
Future team members: Venomoth, Muk

Years
finally an update for my Poison UMC. I haven't been playing since i really didnt want to try and raise Roseys happienss and its a hassel to play in the morning, plus school and projects. Anyways...

I beat Eternas gym leader easily and defeated team galatic with some dificulty.. But i defeated Jupiter and continued my journey. Got the egg from cynthia and a bike from the owner, whom i rescued. I grabbed the explorer kit and jumped on the cycle road.. i every cycle road.. Made it to Mt. Corenet, and now i have to go work on a project

My Current Team..

Zulu/Golbat

Level 27

-Air Cutter
-Confuse Ray
-Wing Attack
-Bite

Rosey/Budew

Level 26

-Mega Drain
-Growth
-Water Sport
-Stun Spore

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Ok, So I'm restarting the johto leg of my Ultimate Monotype Normal Challenge on silver, mainly because I want a Girafarig.
-Named myself Kamon (default name)
-Picked Chikorita (it learns lots of HMs)
-Got the Mystery Egg
-Defeated PKMN Trainer ???
-Rushed back to Prof. Elm
-Handed him the mystery egg
-Told my Mom about my adventure
-Went to catch a Rattata
-Caught Hyperat
-Saved

Magmorter

Suffering from Pokerus...
Years
Hey I'd Like to take your challenge :)

Forum nickname: Magmorter
Game: Leaf Green
Pokemon Type: Fire
Platform: PC-Emulator, No$Gba.

I'd start with Charmander of course, and then I'd like to end up with Rapidash, Ninetales, Flareon, Magmar, and Houndoom. I know most of these aren't available till a bit later on in the game so I'll just stick with charmander for most of the start. I plan on using Chansey as Hm slave with Strength, Rock Smash, Flash, and Softboiled. I also will use Gyarados with Surf and Whirlpool and then maybe like just a pidgey with fly.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Update for Poison Ultimate Monotype: Kanto leg (Blue). Almost done.

First, I used the Ice Beam TM from the Department Store on Tetrid (Tentacool). I then went to Celadon Gym to train Tetrid using Ice Beam. Afterwards, I went south to Fuschia (Sp?) via the path that isn't Cycling Road. After capturing a Venonat (Docori), and got the TM for Psychic at Saffron City for him. I then trained him on Cycling Road, and he became a valuable team member when he evolved to Venomoth. I leveled him up to approximately 40 (along with Tetrid) and defeated Koga and most of his lackies with Psychic, Psybeam, and Leech Life. I collected Surf and Strength from the Safari Zone and the Safari Zone Warden. Tetrid got Surf while Lina got Strength. I surfed to Cinnabar and picked up a Grimer (Mito), who I taught Selfdestruct and Thunderbolt from TMs. I went back down to Saffron and leveled up Mito at Team Rocket's Silph Co. He evolved to Muk on the way. I then went to fight Sabrina, and defeated Kadabra with a pair of Leech Lifes from Docori. Mr. Mime fell to Lina's Body Slams. I beat Venomoth with my own Docori's Psychic, and Kadabra fell to Lina as well. I then flew back to Cinnabar and Surfed through all the Trainers with Tetrid, but defeated Blaine with Lina's Earthquake.

Team
Lina the Nidoqueen
Body Slam, Rock Slide, Strength, Earthquake

Tetrid the Tentacruel
Ice Beam, Mega Drain, Surf, Bubblebeam

Docori the Venomoth
Double Team, Psychic, Psybeam, Toxic

Mito the Muk
Sludge, Selfdestruct (To be replaced with Explosion), Thunderbolt, Minimize

Probably only one more update on Blue. I'm hoping for Crystal real cartridge, but I'm kind of afraid it's internal battery will die before I finish.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Started Ruby leg of Ultimate Naormal Monotype Challenge. I though about doing this on Emerald so I wouldn't have to deal with Metagross, but...

Name: Norma
Rival: May
Starter: Treeko

- When I got Pokeballs, I caught a Zigzagoon and named him Lenny.
- Went through Petalburg Woods and into Rustboro.
- Caught a Taillow named Saul up north.
- Grinded Lenny to L17, then challenged Roxanne.

ultnormroxanne.png

The Super Potions I pick up were useful here. Headbutt and Sand-Attack were the reasons for victory.

- Caught a Whismur named Bart.
- Taught Cut to Treeko.
- Went to Dewford and got Saul some training in Granite Cave. Taught Flash to Treeko.
- Challenged the gym.

ultnormbrawly.png

Saul 2HKOed both Machop and Makuhita with Wing Attack. Saul took a Karate Chop from Machop, then got lucky when Makuhita's Arm Thrust only hit twice.

- Delivered the letter to Steven, teaching Steel Wing to Saul.
- Went to Slateport and delivered the Goods. Bart is so weak right now, he keeps fainting...
- Lenny evolved into Linoone.
- Headed north and saved in front of the Trick House.

Team Norm:
Spr_3r_293.png

Barb the Hardy Whismur, ♀ - L14
Ability: Soundproof
Moves: Pound, Uproar, Astonish
Spr_3r_264.png

Lenny the Naughty Linoone, ♂ - L20
Ability: Pickup
Moves: Headbutt, Tail Whip, Tackle, Sand-Attack
Spr_3r_276.png

Saul the Sassy Taillow, ♂ - L19
Ability: Guts
Moves: Wing Attack, Double Team, Quick Attack, Steel Wing

Also in the party:
Treeko (Flash and Cut slave), Zigzagoon (Pickup and future Surf slave)

I'm thinking about dropping Lenny in favor of Zangoose eventually, as I also want Girafarig.

Last edited:

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Normal UMC Update #2: Falkner Down
-Caught Sentret: named Bonk!
-Caught Spearow: Named CptFalcon
-Grinded
-cleared Sprout Tower
-Grinded some more
-Defeated Falkner
-Got the egg

Years
Made progress.
I've got two badges, a bike, 2 wins over galactic commanders, and a fully evolved pokemon

Current Team:
Spr_4p_391.png

Monferno (lvl 27)
-Ember
-Flame Wheel
-Taunt
-Leer
Spr_4p_068.png

Machamp (lvl 28)
-Revenge
-Karate Chop
-Rock Tomb
-Leer (i think)

HM Slaves
Spr_4p_074.png

Geodude: Rock Smash (strength and rock climb later)
Spr_4p_400_m.png

Bibarel: Cut (Surf and Waterfall later)
Spr_4p_041_m.png

Zubat: (fly and defog later)

thenickel09

Lurker
Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Wow, I haven't updated in so long...since the last thread closed XD

I'm updating my Kanto leg for my Water Ultimate Monotype just a little:

Well I'm in Vermilion City...Sarge will be a pain.

Current Team:

Wartortle (Lv30)

Mega Kick
Water Gun
Bubble
Bute

Gyarados (Lv23)

Splash (getting rid of this asap -_-)
Tackle
Bite

HM Slaves

Meowth (Lv10)-Cutslave

Last edited:

The Lord of Smug
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 17, 2013
649/dragon0fangz's Rock Monotype continues on to XD!

Ok, you know that boring starter stuff? Sped through that. Using only the Teddiursa, and an unevolved Eevee. That's right, unevolved. Got a Water Stone and threw it away. The first rock type I could get was Aron, at the PokeSpots. Until then, my Teddiursa leveled up quickly, and the useless Eevee struggled to catch up. Whatever. Luckily of me, I caught a Wooper! I would need this to trade for Larvitar. However, as I went back to Pyrite, ONBS was taken over, and Duking was nowhere to be seen. I guess it's just Aron.

So, using only Aron and Teddiursa, I swept through the ONBS incident. Eventually, I finally found Duking. I traded my Wooper for a Larvitar, then I found out it had the egg moves Dragon Dance and Outrage. Sweet! Currently, I'm training the both of them up to lv 30-ish, before going to Phenac City, where I finally get my Lunatone.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update for Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Normal).

Update #2 on Ruby.

Started in front of the Trick House.

Spoiler:
Next: Beat Maxie on Mt. Chimney, and hop to Lavaridge Town and the fourth badge.

Team Norm:
Spr_3r_335.png

Zagger the Bashful Zangoose, ♂ - L21
Ability: Immunity
Moves: Slash, Quick Attack, Swords Dance, Dig
Spr_3r_288.png

Lazy the Adamant Vigiroth, ♂ - L23
Ability: Vital Spirit
Moves: Strength, Yawn, Fury Swipes, Slack Off
Spr_3r_294.png

Barb the Hardy Loudred, ♀ - L28
Ability: Soundproof
Moves: Secret Power, Uproar, Supersonic, Howl
Spr_3r_277.png

Saul the Sassy Swellow, ♂ - L29
Ability: Guts
Moves: Wing Attack, Endeavor, Quick Attack, Steel Wing

Also in the party:
Spr_3r_264.png

Lenny the Naughty Linoone, ♂ - L20
Ability: Pickup
Moves: Headbutt, Tail Whip, Tackle, Sand-Attack
Spr_3r_252.png

Treeko, ♂ - L12 (Cut, Flash, and Rock Smash slave). Lenny is going to be a future Surf slave until I get Tentacool later on for Dive and Waterfall.

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
Platinum Fire Monotype

Too much to update...

Got my starter, named him Taemin, soloed through most of the game until I caught Pontya and named him Minho. Tried a billion times w/out success to get a Houndour (they either kept fainting or Roar-ing.) until I managed to catch one and named him Jinguk.

Did all the Team Galactic stuff so far and spoke to Cynthia/Lucas a lot. Beat Wally each time.
Now I'm going to get the Steel gym's badge.

Current team:

Infernape/Taemin lvl 46: Cut, Grass Knot, Flame Wheel, Closs Combat
Ponyta/Minho lvl 36: Take Down, Agility, Solar Beam, Fire Blast
Houndoom/Jinguk lvl 35: Bite, Smog, Fire Fang, Odor Sleuth

HM slaves: Starly (fly), Shellos (Surf), Psyduck (Rock Smash)

Last edited:

Magmorter

Years
Okay heres my update for the fire monotype challenge for LG.

Got my Charmander and named him Flame, bet Brock after a few deaths (metal claw was usefull!) made my way through the cave and it evolved into charmeleon at level 16, and then up to bill. Skipped misty so i could continue training my charmelion, got on the S.S Anne and kicked all the sailors butts, then continued around the area beating various trainers. Made my way back to Misty and bet her, then went back down to Vermillion City and bet Lt Surge easily, and it evolved into Charizard at level 36. Still no sign of other fire pokemon atm, but should encounter a magmar soon.

34341210.png

Charizard - Mega Puch, Wing Attack, Flamethrower, Metal Claw.

Attack - 93
Defense - 73
Sp. Attack - 93
Sp. Defense - 81
Speed - 101

95244623.png

Remnants

Bringer of Hope
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 4, 2015
Well, I don't have enough posts to put up links, so I can't put pictures in. But I guess I'll give my first update anyways:

1. Started game with the name Nickk
2. Got a squirtle, nicknamed HMSLAVE
3. Beat Rival (easy)
4. Went to route 22 and got NidoranM, named Heraldo
5. Got HMSLAVE to level 13
6. Got Heraldo to level 14
7. Beat trainer in Brock's gym and Brock
8. Heraldo evolved
9. Battled trainers and went to MT. Moon
10. Leveled Heraldo a lot
11. Heraldo is now level 19, gave him a moon stone
12. Current Pokemon: Squirtle Lv. 13 (HMSLAVE) / Nidoking Lv. 19 (Heraldo)

I'll do more updates more often, and will include pics once I have enough posts.

Magmorter

Years
Second update! yeah i know, wasnt that long before the last but i've done a fair bit :)

Ok so I made my way through the rock tunnel to Lavander Town, then caught a Vulpix on Route 8 and then used the underground path to get to Celadon City! Bought a couple of fire stones at the department store, and then evolved my Vulpix into a Ninetales :) Sat at the gamecorner for quite a while to get Iron Tail, Flamethrower, and a few Charcoals from the rewards shop thing. Went and easily bet the grass pokemon chick, and then got an evee and evolved it into a Flareon. Trained up my Ninetales and Flareon by beating Team rocket in their underground hideout for the silph scope, beating everyone in lavander ghost tower, and then finally by getting into Safron city and beating team rocket (again) in Silph Co. Then I Trained up my charizard by beating the fighting Dojo, beating sabrina's gymn, clearing out trainers in the surrounding area and also on the way to Fuchisa City, and then beating the Ninja Poision guys gymn. :)

73841026.png

75202973.png

29864930.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back