• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxisai

Unbeatable 3's-Unstopable Trio
Years
  • *SHORT UPDATE ON POKEMON CRYSTAL ULTIMATE POISON MONOTYPE CHALLENGE*

ELITE FOUR
    So I leveled up some because I lost against WILL. I am now on my way to face them again.

*UPDATE 2*

WILL
    WILL is defeated. He took out all of my POKEMON but HAUNTER and TENTACRUEL. I healed my POKEMON and traveled ahead.
    Spoiler:

KOGA
    Spoiler:

KOGA gave me a bit of trouble. The battle started out with my ARIADOS against his, till it used BATON and swapped out for VENOMOTH, who took my ARIADOS down with PSYCHIC. I went ahead down the line and sent out my WEEPINBELL, put VENOMOTH to sleep, and then took it down with CUT. CROBAT was sent out next which I used the same tactic on until it woke up and took out my WEEPINBELL...
    Spoiler:

Continuing down the line I sent out VENOMOTH, which took down CROBAT with PSYCHIC. KOGA sent out his ARIADOS again which I took out with PSYCHIC as well. His next POKEMON was FORRETRESS, which I grinded down its health with PSYCHIC. The final POKEMON KOGA sent out was MUK, which I used two PSYCHIC attacks on and it went down...to which KOGA was defeated. I healed my POKEMON and pressed onward.
    Spoiler:

BRUNO
    Spoiler:

The battle started off with his HITMONTOP against my ARIADOS (I haven't switched the order of my PARTY yet lol). He kept using DIG while I KO'd him with two hits of NIGHT SHADE. BRUNO sent out his HITMONCHAN next, which I used the same tactic on. ONYX was sent out next. I tried to use the same strategy on him, but then he took out my ARIADOS with ROCK SLIDE. Going down the line, like always, I sent out my WEEPINBELL next. I put him to sleep, and then used RAZOR LEAF on the sleeping ONYX and KO'd him.
    Spoiler:

HITMONLEE was the next POKEMON BRUNO decided to send out. I put him to sleep, and KO'd him with two hits of my ACID. BRUNO's last POKEMON was HITMONCHAN, which I put to sleep, like the last two pokemon, and grinded his health down with ACID, to which BRUNO was defeated. I healed my PARTY and continued onward.
    Spoiler:

KAREN
    Spoiler:

The first POKEMON KAREN sent out was her UMBREON, and I, without changing the order of my team, sent out ARIADOS. I used NIGHT SHADE until it ran out of PP and then used LEECH LIFE, which was SUPER EFFECTIVE. The next POKEMON was HOUNDOOM, which took out my ARIADOS with its FLAMETHROWER.
    Spoiler:

As always, I sent out my WEEPINBELL next, which was KO'd by HOUNDOOM's FLAMETHROWER. The next POKEMON was out of my normal order, TENTACRUEL. It used SURF and took HOUNDOOM out with one hit. Her next POKEMON was VILEPLUME. I used WHIRL POOL and HYDRO PUMP and took it out with a CRITICAL HIT, with assist from the WHIRL POOL's effect. KAREN then sent out GENGAR. I used SURF on it and got it into the red zone of the HP bar, and then used a HYDRO PUMP, which KO'd him, but not before it took me down with it (I didn't catch the name of this move...)
    Spoiler:

I then sent out my ARBOK to which she responded with her MURKROW, it fainted after two hits of ACID. KAREN had been defeated. I healed my POKEMON, and continued to LANCE.
    Spoiler:

CHAMPION LANCE
    I finally made it to the ELITE FOUR CHAMPION, LANCE.
    Spoiler:

The battle started out with LANCE sending out GYARADOS and without changing the order, me sending out ARIADOS. I used a variety of attacks to grind its health down. He used two HYPERBEAM's but I still KO'd him with only 1HP remaining.
    Spoiler:

LANCE sent out his AERODACTYL next and I healed my ARIADOS with a MAX POTION, just for AERODACTYL to take me down with ROCK SLIDE. I decided to try out TENTACRUEL next. I used SURF and took AERODACTYL down with one hit. LANCE's next POKEMON was one of his DRAGONITE. I tried to use a HYDRO PUMP on it, which it missed, and DRAGONITE PARALYZED me, and then attacked me with a HYPERBEAM. I hit him with two SURFs and it went down. Another DRAGONITE was the next choice for LANCE. It's a good thing I healed TENTACRUEL because this DRAGONITE meant business, it used HYPERBEAM from the very start. It PARALYZED me again, and then hit me with another HYPERBEAM, which didn't phase me at all, as I grinded down his health with more SURF. LANCE then sent out yet another DRAGONITE, which started off the exact same way the last one did, I healed myself and it used a HYPERBEAM. I used the same tactic as before to windle down its health, by using SURF, but it KO'd me using OUTRAGE. My next POKEMON was my strongest, my HAUNTER. I took down the weakened DRAGONITE with a SHADOW BALL. LANCE was down to his last POKEMON, CHARIZARD. I started off by using a SHADOW BALL against it which took its HP down to a little bit more than half, to which he responded by using a FLAMETHROWER. I figured another SHADOW BALL would finish him off, so that is what I did, and that is what happened. INDIGO PLATEAU's CHAMPION LANCE has been defeated.
    Spoiler:

HALL OF FAME
    MARY and OAK came and congratulated me for beating LANCE, and then LANCE took me into the HALL OF FAME.

I AM NOW HALF WAY THROUGH MY POKEMON CRYSTAL POISON ULTIMATE MONOTYPE CHALLENGE!

Progress So Far - Badges

Current Team

HAUNTER Lvl. 63
    Shadow Ball
    Lick
    Dream Eater
    Mean Look

WEEPINBELL Lvl. 54
    Razor Leaf
    Acid
    Cut
    Sleep Powder

ARIADOS Lvl. 57
    Poison Sting
    Leech Life
    Night Shade
    Fury Swipes

TENTACRUEL Lvl. 59
    Surf
    Hydro Pump
    Whirlpool
    Acid

VENOMOTH Lvl. 56
    Psychic
    Gust
    Confusion
    Poison Powder

ARBOK Lvl. 55
    Acid
    Strength
    Poison Sting
    Bite

In PC:
    CHIKORITA Lvl. 7
    ODDISH Lvl. 15
    KOFFING Lvl. 14
    GOLBAT Lvl. 22
    QUILFISH Lvl. 33

Last edited:

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • After what seemed like 100 encounters, saves, and reloads, I finally caught two Sableyes (Cataclysm and Calamity) that had decent natures. One is Mild, one is Lonely, and I need one to be a Physical sweeper, and one to be a Special Sweeper. Oh yeah, and I have Pokerus. Needless to say, Brawly was... Easy. I'm now in Slateport.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Update for Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Fighting).

Update #2 on Crystal.

- In Ecruteak, went to the Burned Tower where I beat Bruce and released the beasts.
    - Fought Morty and won easily with Phiby.
    - Went to Olivine and scaled the Lighthouse, then got to Cianwood.
    - Beat Chuck and got Fly.
    - Healed Amphy and beat Jasmine with Muscle.
    - Flew to Mahagony and beat the Red Gyarados, then wasted Team Rocket.
    - Beat Pryce, then Elm called about the radio broadcasts. Saved in Goldenrod.

Screens:
    Spoiler:

Next up is the Radio Tower and Claire.

Team Norris:

Phiby the Poliwhirl, ♂ - L36
    Moves: Headbutt, Surf, Ice Punch, Hypnosis

Ringo the Heracross, ♂ - L37
    Moves: Return, Counter, Rock Smash, Fury Cutter

Muscle the Machoke, ♂ - L38
    Moves: Headbutt, Karate Chop, Vital Throw, ThunderPunch

HM Slaves:
    Chikorita (Flash, Cut)
    Psyduck (Strength, Dig, Rock Smash, Whirlpool)
    Kenya/Spearow (Fly)

myrrhman

Challenge God
    Years
  • I have a feeling I'm going to really hate Wattson. Actually, I hate all the gyms in RSE. They are all so much harder than RBY or GSC gyms...

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years

Update #3 on Crystal.

- Beat Radio Tower pretty easily, as well as Underground. I got a Water Stone from Tully and evolved Phiby into Poliwrath with it.
    - Went through Ice Path to Blackthorn.
    - Victory against Clair with Ice Punch.
    - Passed the test in the Dragon's Den, then trade evolved Muscle with TGB Dual into Machamp.
    - Went to Ecruteak and wasted Suicune.
    - Surfed to Tohjo Falls and went through Victory Road, easily beating Bruce there.
    - Faced off against the Elite Four, and made it through. Lost once against Will and once against Lance because of a critical hit hax.
    - Taught Phiby Ice Beam from the move tutor in Goldenrod.
    - Boarded the SS Aqua, where I saved.

Screens:
    Spoiler:

Going to Kanto on the SS Aqua now.

Team Norris:

Muscle the Machamp, ♂ - L48 @ Amulet Coin
    Moves: Headbutt, Cross Chop, Vital Throw, ThunderPunch

Phiby the Poliwrath, ♂ - L48 @ NeverMeltIce
    Moves: Body Slam, Surf, Ice Beam, Hypnosis

Ringo the Heracross, ♂ - L48 @ Pink Bow
    Moves: Return, Earhquake, Reversal, Fury Cutter

HM Slaves:
    Chikorita (Flash, Cut)
    Psyduck (Strength, Dig, Whirlpool, Waterfall)
    Kenya/Spearow (Fly)

Last edited:

Saxisai

Unbeatable 3's-Unstopable Trio
    Years
  • *UPDATE ON POKEMON CRYSTAL ULTIMATE POISON MONOTYPE CHALLENGE*

A NEW CHAPTER
    I am back in NEWBARK TOWN. PROF. ELM called me and told me he had something for me, so I went over to see him after a short conversation with my mom.
    Spoiler:

He gave me an S.S. TICKET...
    Spoiler:

..and sent me on my way. Little did I know, I didn't have an HM slave for FLY, so that was my first objective. The problem was, it wasn't night time, I couldn't get the simple HOOTHOOT, so I had to run all the way around the ROUTES and go through ICE PATH to get to ROUTE 45 past BLACKTHORN to catch a SKARMORY. I encountered one at lv. 27, male, and used my ARIADOS to windle down it's health with LEECH LIFE. I used four ULTRA BALLS on it, to no avail. With only one left, I thought to switch out ARIADOS for WEEPINBELL so I can put SKARMORY to sleep. I put it to sleep, but then used RAZOR LEAF....which made it faint. So the hunt started once again. I went back up to BLACKTHORN, and bought some more ULTRA BALLS, went back down to ROUTE 45, and found another SKARMORY at level 27, but this time it was a female. I switched the order of my POKEMON so that WEEPINBELL was first, and I immediately put her to sleep. I used three RAZOR LEAFS on it and then threw an ULTRA BALL, and it was caught.
    Spoiler:

I named it FLY-SLAVE. After all this time, I realized that it would have been faster to just walk to OLIVINE CITY than to bother catching an HM SLAVE, but it will help me in the long run. So anyway, I flew to OLIVINE, switched the SLAVE back with my VENOMOTH, and got on the ship.
    Spoiler:

THE SHIP OF DISAPPEARANCE
    As soon as I got on board, this old guy ran into me spouting out nonsense about him losing his granddaughter. I told him I'd look out for her. I went down the staircase and this other guy informed me that his buddy was missing and that I should find him and tell him to stop goofing off.....its a ship...how hard can it be to find people?? So I went off to look for him, found him, and then had to battle him, where I won. He then left to go back to his post, and I went back down stairs. After a bit of exploring, I found the old coots granddaughter, annoying the captain. I took her back to her grandfather, and he gave me a METALCOAT, which I have no use for. After that, the ship arrived in VERMILION CITY.
    Spoiler:

VERMILION CITY
    The last thing featured in this update, will be me facing LT. SURGE in the VERMILION CITY GYM. I faced all the GYM TRAINERS because I couldn't find the switches for the door, and they took out my WEEPINBELL, and almost took out my ARIADOS (which gained a level), so I went out and healed my team at the POKECENTER. After facing all of the trainers, I realized there were NO switches, because there was NO DOOR, and so my battle with LT. SURGE has begun.
    LT. SURGE
    The battle started off as I approached him and he called me a "little tyke".
    Spoiler:

He started out with his RAICHU, and I sent out WEEPINBELL. Like the tactic I used against the ELITE FOUR, I put RAICHU to sleep and then used RAZOR LEAF and took him down. the LT.'s next POKEMON was ELECTABUZZ, which I used the same strategy on as the last. The next POKEMON sent out was ELECTRODE, which I tried to do the same tactic on, but then hit me with SWIFT and KO'd me. I then sent out my HAUNTER and hit it with a SHADOW BALL, which downed him. MAGNETON was the next choice and I just mauled on it with SHADOW BALLS till it fainted. LT. SURGE's last POKEMON was his ELECTRODE, which I plummeted with SHADOW BALLS, and with the fainting of it, I won the battle.
    Spoiler:

Progress So Far - Badges
    JOHTO:

KANTO:

Current Team

HAUNTER Lvl. 63
    Shadow Ball
    Lick
    Dream Eater
    Mean Look

WEEPINBELL Lvl. 54
    Razor Leaf
    Acid
    Cut
    Sleep Powder

ARIADOS Lvl. 58
    Poison Sting
    Leech Life
    Night Shade
    Fury Swipes

TENTACRUEL Lvl. 59
    Surf
    Hydro Pump
    Whirlpool
    Acid

VENOMOTH Lvl. 56
    Psychic
    Gust
    Confusion
    Poison Powder

ARBOK Lvl. 55
    Acid
    Strength
    Poison Sting
    Bite

In PC:
    CHIKORITA Lvl. 7
    ODDISH Lvl. 15
    KOFFING Lvl. 14
    GOLBAT Lvl. 22
    QUILFISH Lvl. 33
    SKARMORY Lvl. 27

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Okay, so I've been working, so I haven't had the chance to update. But I beat Falkner easily with my Mareep. And I forgot that Scyther is weak to electric, so beating Bugsy with my then Lv. 22 Mareep was a breeze. Now I'm currently in Goldenrod, trying to beat Whitney. My Mareep, named Feliz (play on the word fleece), is now on Lv. 28 and just learned Discharge. Sadly, it's male, so I'm having a heck of a time with this gym.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Start of Ultimate Monotype Challenge #4.

I did a quick run through Yellow with Ground, it's part of another Ultimate.

Started with a L4 Nidoran♂ on Rt 22, then picked up a L10 Geodude in Mt. Moon and a L29 Dugtrio in Diglett's Cave. I got Nidoking in Mt. Moon, and I used TGB Dual to trade evolve my Graveler into Golem in Vermilion City.

Anyway, I finished this pretty fast lol. It was also the first time I had ever skipped the Rocket Hideout in Celadon by using a Poke Doll on Marowak's ghost.

At the Elite Four, the only trouble I had was with Lorelei. I lost once, then led with Crush instead of Royal, and it worked out. The other three members were soloed by Crush and Royal, and Champion Bub was a team effort.

Screens:
    Spoiler:

Sorry for the mass image gallery above, lol.

I think I'm gonna do the next game on Crystal so I can get Phanpy early, but I may not start for a while I want to get caught up on my other challenges first.

Team Earl:

Royal the Nidoking - L58 -> Kanto and Elite Four MVP
    Moves: Thrash, Surf, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam

Holes the Dugtrio - L57
    Moves: Slash, Earthquake, Sand-Attack, Body Slam

Crush the Golem - L58
    Moves: Strength, Rock Slide, Submission, Earthquake

HM Slaves:
    Charmander (Cut)
    Spearow (Fly)

Remnants

Bringer of Hope
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2015
    Okay, with midterms out of the way, and my huge piles of homework caught up, I have finally reached a point where I can devote myself to actually completing this challenge. So, my fighting UMC starts with Red version, and will continue like this:

Red
    Crystal
    Emerald
    Platinum
    White (when it comes out in the U.S.)

I'll update later today.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Finally beat Whitney. Got my Eevee and traded a stone over from my other game to evolve it into Jolteon. Battled my way to Olivine (skipping the gym for the moment), and now I'm on the way back to Newbark Twon to catch a Chinchou with my newly aquired good rod.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • Normal UMC Update: Silver; Kanto
    -Got SS Ticket
    -Sailed to Vermillion
    -Beat Lt. Surge
    -Beat Sabrina
    -Got to Power Plant
    -Retrieved the Machine Part
    -Laughed Loud Out Team Foreign Member Rocket at
    -Restored the Power Plant
    -Defeated the six-pack trainers
    -Beat Misty
    -That's all! Bye-Bye a Go-Go!

who should I teach Psychic and Zap cannon to? Togetic or Girafarig?

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    Update #3 on Water UMC:
    Spoiler:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years

Final Update (#4) on Crystal.

I beat up Kanto, then Red. Ringo was a beast in Kanto, especially once he got Megahorn.

Screens:
    Spoiler:

The Hoenn region will be done on Sapphire.

Team Norris (Final):

Ringo the Heracross, ♂ - L70 @ Pink Bow -> Kanto and Red MVP
    Moves: Return, Earthquake, Reversal, Megahorn

Muscle the Machamp, ♂ - L64 @ Black Belt
    Moves: Return, Cross Chop, Submission, ThunderPunch

Phiby the Poliwrath, ♂ - L64 @ NeverMeltIce -> Johto and Elite Four MVP
    Moves: Body Slam, Surf, Ice Beam, Hypnosis

HM Slaves:
    Chikorita (Flash, Cut)
    Psyduck (Strength, Dig, Whirlpool, Waterfall)
    Kenya/Spearow (Fly)

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Yellow flying ultimate monotype

continuation from:
    Spoiler:

Party:
    GUST - PIDGEY - LVL 17 - NORMAL/FLYING
    GUST - SAND-ATTACK - QUICK ATTACK - ----

BILL - FEAROW - LVL 21 - NORMAL/FLYING
    PEACK - GROWL - LEER - FURY ATTACK

FLUTTER - BUTTERFREE - LVL 21 - BUG/FLYING
    SUPERSONIC - POISONPOWDER - STUN SPORE - CONFUSION

DRAGON - MAGIKARP - LVL 18 - WATER
    SPLASH - TACKLE - ---- - ----

WING - CHARMELION - LVL 19 - FIRE
    SCRATCH - GROWL - EMBER - LEER

BAT - ZUBAT - LVL 14 - POISON/FLYING
    LEECH LIFE - SUPERSONIC - ---- - ----

Spoiler:

PTERRA - AERODACTYL - LVL 30 - ROCK/FLYING
    FLY - AGILITY - DOUBLE TEAM - TOXIC

FLUTTER - BUTTERFREE - LVL 36 - BUG/FLYING
    SUPERSONIC - GUST - SLEEP POWDER - PSYBEAM

DRAGON - GYARADOS - LVL 36 - WATER/FLYING
    THUNDERBOLT - SURF - BITE - ICE BEAM

WING - CHARIZARD - LVL 38 - FIRE/FLYING
    DIG - FLY - EMBER - SLASH

BAT - GOLBAT - LVL 36 - POISON/FLYING
    LEECH LIFE - MEGA DRAIN - BITE - CONFUSE RAY

WORM - DRATINI - LVL 20 - DRAGON
    WRAP - LEER - THUNDER WAVE - AGILITY

hazard master

Self Proclaimed Genius
    Years
  • Yay! I finally beat the Leet four!

Heres how it went down against Blue:
    Queen vs Pidgeot
    Queen used thunderbolt Pidgeot used sand attack
    Queen used thunderbolt (missed) Pidgeot used feather dance
    Queen used thunderbolt (missed) Pidgeot used Arial ace
    Queen used thunderbolt Pidgeot Fainted

Spikey vs Alakazam
    Spikey used megahorn (missed) Alakazam used phychic
    Spikey used megahon Alakazam fainted

Queen vs Rydon
    Queen used surf, Rhydon fainted

Spikey vs Exeggutor
    Spikey used megahorn, Exeggutor fainted

Queen vs Gyrados
    Queen used thunderbolt, Gyrados Fainted

Queen vs Charizard
    Charizard spams fire blast and full restores, Queen spams surf and Full restores.

Charizard Fainted.

Yay moving on to johto

EDIT: going to do crystal instead of silver

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2012
    I have another update on my water challenge:
    I defeated the Elite Four and the Champion Green, here's all the screenshots:
    Spoiler:

And here's the Hall of Fame shot:

I'm having quite a bit of fun with this, so I'll probably start Johto and have an update on here pretty soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back