• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

11wildy

Me!
Years
  • We'll see about that. If i't really is impossible that way, I'll just keep my pokemon and do the challenge the normal way. Gyarados is quite Bulky and isn't weak against grass. I'll put him in a box when battling Surge. I'm still searching for my Leafgreen game though...

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • We'll see about that. If i't really is impossible that way, I'll just keep my pokemon and do the challenge the normal way. Gyarados is quite Bulky and isn't weak against grass. I'll put him in a box when battling Surge. I'm still searching for my Leafgreen game though...
    No, dude, Charmageddon is right. It's the stupidest idea ever. Why did you even think of that? You've honestly played the game before without having ANY Pokemon faint?

I'll update my Bug challenge soon.

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • Actually, I did play the game without a fainted pokemon. I overlevel them a bit and use a lot of Hyper potions, but then I made it, while it wasn't really that hard. My pokemon first fainted in the pokemon league, where I couldn't release em. I just revived em there. For the rest, no pokemnon fainted, except for my HM slave.

Also, I'll just catch another Water pokemon when one faints.

btw, why don't you guys just lemme try it! XD
    If I can't do it, I'll do the challenge without it, but at least, I'm gonna try.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Actually, I did play the game without a fainted pokemon. I overlevel them a bit and use a lot of Hyper potions, but then I made it, while it wasn't really that hard. My pokemon first fainted in the pokemon league, where I couldn't release em. I just revived em there. For the rest, no pokemnon fainted, except for my HM slave.

Also, I'll just catch another Water pokemon when one faints.

btw, why don't you guys just lemme try it! XD
    If I can't do it, I'll do the challenge without it, but at least, I'm gonna try.
    You can do whatever you want, it's just that your idea is, well, slightly retarded. Remember, in Red, Blue and Yellow, there is no VS Seeker. You can't rechallenge any trainers in the game once they have been defeated, barring the Elite 4. If you had a level 50 Pokemon and it fainted, how are you gonna train up a new one on level 15 or so? Wild Pokemon? Yeah, good luck with that.

EDIT: Ah! You're using LeafGreen. Forget everything I just said then. I still think it's a bad idea though. Just seems like a stunt to make yourself look br00talz.

Last edited:

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • I'm sorry if it looked as if I wanted to look better than others, I just wanted to make my challenge a little harder, since monotype challenegs are kinda easy for me.

Order of games:
    Leafgreen
    Crystal
    Ruby
    Diamond

Progress:
    Picked Squirtle as starter.
    Beat Rival.
    Did all the beginning stuff.
    Trained Squirtle to level 14 so it learned Water Gun.
    Beat Rival again.
    Got trough Viridian forest without getting any damg. (I 1HKOed everything except those Metapod and Kakuna's)
    Beat Brock's gym.
    Went to Mt Moon.

Note: I didn't buy the Magikarp from the salesman, because there would be a high chance of Magikarp dying in training. Instead, I'm going to catch a level 20 Magikarp with the good rod and save a Rare Candy.

Years
  • Note: I didn't buy the Magikarp from the salesman, because there would be a high chance of Magikarp dying in training. Instead, I'm going to catch a level 20 Magikarp with the good rod and save a Rare Candy.
    but if you catch a lv.20 karp, it can't learn bite, which can be really useful (ok, maybe not useful, but at least better than tackle, even with gyarados mediocre sp.a. stat)
    i'd get magikarp from the salesman (with right nature of course), put in in daycare till lv. 19 and then use the candy. or do bait-n-switch, if i'd have the patience to train squirtle to Lv. 14 before the forest, i wouldnt bother about getting a gyarados before misty

it seems like i can't get my ds back soon enough, and because waiting sucks, i'll just do Sinnoh on a rom, i'll still be using pearl, platinum would be way to easy with magnezone and rotom and stuff

UPDATE: After a long, long time eternities i finally had completed that whole annoying and boring get-a-pokedex-and a-starter-thing and was finally able to catch a shinx. nature is bashful, that doesnt cut my main stats off, so i just took it, saves time (in the long run maybe not, but i cant change it now). forgot to nickname shinx and saved. Wait, that thing has rivalry, so i reload and...
    ...found one with intimidate and killed it with a crit,
    caught one with intimidate and sassy nature, which makes it useless,
    then there was a lot of bidoof and stuff,
    another rivalry shinx (didnt catch this one)
    and later finally a naive-natured shinx with intimidate

Team:
    Pleeeeeaase / Shinx Lv. 3 <-- caught it with my last pokeball and didnt want to reset and i'm not really creative, so i called it please

@ /
    Naive Nature
    Intimidate
    - Tackle

other stuff:
    :t388: Slavery! Lv. 7
    2x :t403: (one has no nick, and i forgot about the other)

Last edited:

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Loads of progress made as usual. Apologies for the late update.

Journal:
    -Defeated Erika and all her Grass type trainers, earning myself a Rainbow Badge. Obviously I had the advantage with my Bugs.
    -Completely destroyed all the trainers on Route 13/14/15 and all the trainers on the Cycling Road, earning some major Exp.
    -Decided to get Silph out the way, earning some more major Exp.
    -Picked up Psychic from Mr. Psychic. Taught it to Butterfree.
    -Went to Saffron Gym and creamed all the stupid Psychics and Sabrina with my Bugs. I had type advantage again. Earned myself a Marsh Badge.
    -Totally forgot about Koga's Gym and rushed to Fushia city.
    -Took on Koga and his trainers, earning myslef a Soul Badge. Yet again, I had an advantage since in Gen 1 Bug is super effective against Poison, and Vice Versa, funnily enough. I guess Koga had an advantage too.
    -Taught Toxic to Venomoth.
    -Flew back to Pallet Town to see Mom + Heal my Pokemon.
    -Surfed down to Cinnabar island and battled some Water type trainers on the way, including the infamous Fisher with 6 Magikarp. Sooooo annoying.
    -Arrived at Cinnabar to find the Gym door locked! Blaine misplaced the key. What a bastard!
    -Battled the trainers in the Pokemon Mansion and picked up a load of items, including Solarbeam, which I then taught to Butterfree.
    -Got the Secret Key.
    -Purposely answered every question wrong for the Gym quiz to pick up all the Exp. I could. Caterpie definately doesn't evolve into Butterfree! I should know, I have one...
    -Battled Blaine and lost first time round.
    -Re-matched Blaine and won. Scyther rules!
    -Healed Pokemon and saved outside Cinnabar's Pokemon Center.

Jokes Of The Day:
    -"Juggler withdrew Drowzee, Juggler sent out Drowzee!" *Facepalm*
    - Blaine: "Fire Blast is the best Fire type move! Don't waste it on a Water Pokemon." *Immense Facepalm*

My head hurts.....

Team:

Venomoth Level 40

Parasect Level 40

Butterfree Level 41

Pinsir Level 43

Scyther Level 45

Scyther is my pride and joy at the moment. Never fails to deliver, and has only fainted once.

Last edited:

Tony Montana

Say Hello To My Little Friend!
    Years
  • Well, I'm at Hearthome now, but I'm still training to get my team to lv 30. It will take time, but it doesnt make much of a difference.
    Also, Gible evolved! Woo-hoo!

Team:

Grounder - Grotle - LV 27
    Bite
    Curse
    Razor Leaf
    Mega Drain

Roll - Graveler - LV 27
    Rock Throw
    Rock Polish
    Rock Smash
    Magnitude

Slugg - Shellos - LV 26
    Water Pulse
    Hidden Power (Rock)
    Rain Dance
    Mud Bomb

Skorpy - Gligar - LV 24
    Fury Cutter
    Cut
    Sand Attack
    Faint Attack

Chompy - Gabite - LV 24
    Dragon Rage
    Sand Tomb
    Sandstorm
    Take Down

Next update after I get my 3rd badge, which would be Fantina's Gym Badge

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2013
    Count me in! I was just about to play through my Red Version anyway.
    Throw me down for Flying.
    I'll start right away!

I think I'll just beat Brock with Pidgey tonight.
    It's getting late and I'm awfully tired.

*EDIT*
    Progress:
    Started Red Version.
    Chose Squirtle as starter.
    Caught Pidgey.
    Caught Spearow.
    Trained Pidgey and Spearow.

Team:
    Pidgey - 12
    Spearow - 11

Last edited:
    Years
  • Currently I'm shortly before the battle against the Rock dude in Oreburgh

Team:
    Pleeeeeaase / Luxio Lv. 17

@ /
    Naive Nature
    Intimidate
    - Tackle
    - Leer
    - Charge
    - Bite

boxed:
    :t388: Chimchar / Slavery! Lv. 7
    2x :t403:Shinx
    umm, apparently these smileys dont work for d/p

damn, lost first attemt, because that stupid cranidos had red hp after my first spark and used headbutt, got a crit and took all my ~35 remaining hp off. stupid hax...
    won at 2nd attempt. had some more hp left this time, and cranidos used pursuit which did hardly any damage.

I'm at gardenia now, with Luxio in Lv. 27, but i just can't beat her, Roserade 2HKOs me, seems like i have to do some training

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2014
    damn, been busy so not gotten to update for awhile, which is a shame cause it makes irrelevant my qualms for so long about having only monferno(who I am still not evolving till he gets slack off) but, anyway
    highlights:
    -started platinum, picked chimchar as my first pokemon
    -proceeded to beat the first gym after evolving chimchar
    -beat the second gym after progressing that far, trained some more
    -caught a ralts, levelled it some
    -beat my 3rd gym
    -progressed on, beat my 4th gym
    -FINALLY picked up a dawn stone and caught a croagunk, and that is where I am

my current party:

Croagunk (Bashful, Anticipation, Quick Claw)
    Lv. 24 (caught in a heal ball for kicks)
    -Pursuit
    -Faint Attack
    -Revenge
    -Swagger

Gallade (Careful, Steadfast, Mind Plate)
    Lv. 32 (I am very annoyed by that number, I found the dawn stone just after it hit 32 and missed out on getting psycho cut, and with the connect error platinum gets on emulators, my heart scale supply is small and precious)
    -Psychic
    -Double Team
    -Magic Leaf
    -Calm Mind

Monferno (Careful, Blaze, Everstone)
    Lv. 38
    -Close Combat
    -Torment
    -Mach Punch
    -Flame Wheel

Dragonfly Z

Frozen Soul
    Years
  • Monotype Challenge....OK! I wanna try this! Ok, I'll start with Fire types in my Leaf Green. THX!
    EDIT:I'll just edit this post so I'm not double-posting.

-Started game.
    -Named character RED and rival GREEN from Japanese PokeSpe.
    -Picked Charmander as starter.
    -Blazed through Viridian Forest. (hehe...blazed.)
    -Pwnd Brock as soon as I got Metal Claw.
    -Evolved Charmander.
    -Made it through Mt Moon.
    -Beat GREEN on Nugget Bridge.

TEAM!

VULCAN (Charmelion) LV.23
    -Ember
    -Metal Claw
    -Mega Kick
    -Scratch

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2014
    cause as of late, I need my RAM for other things than my DS emu for right now, though probably not in the nearish future, I am gonna start a parallel ghost-type ultimate challenge as well, and run the both of them at once. now, on to crystal, to catch a couple gastlys so the one I trade to yellow can be level 5.

11wildy

Me!
    Years
  • Update:

Went trough Mt Moon, while only have 2 Water guns and 2 Bites left.
    Teached Wartortle Mega Kick.
    Got to Cerulean city with only 4 Mega kicks left.
    Beat my rival. (After going to poke center of course)
    Went to Bill's house.

I'm now at Vermilion city, thinking of how I can beat Lt surge.

Years
  • finally caught my second and last team member, a Pikachu (the first one i met, with full hp and just one Pokeball)... dammit, this thing is more or less omnipresent in my teams, although i dislike it, but raichu is awesome, at least compared to pre-Platinum-Sinnoh's other Electrics... and now i think i have to train this thing to at least lv. 30, it's sooooo underleveled

Team:

Pleeeeeaase / Luxray m Lv. 43

@ / <-- i still did NOT find any useful item, in fact cleanse tag is the only option here, but i need exp
    Naive Nature
    Intimidate
    - Crunch
    - Return <--- pwnz
    - Spark
    - Bite <-- i will probably use t-bolt instead of iron tail, since iron tail has almost no type coverage and luxrays spc. atc. isnt that bad that t-bolts from it wont suck as much as for example an icebeam by sneasel

Not Again / Pikachu f Lv. 19 <-- honestly, these things are getting really annoying, they're in EACH generation

@ Exp. Share
    Rash Nature
    Static <-- this is why i hate battling most other electrics. they die after one hit, but paralyze me and i have to go all the way back to the pokemon center...
    - Tail Whip
    - Thunder Wave
    - Grass Knot <-- accidentally deleted this things only attacking move, quick attack
    - Double Team

HM-Slave:
    Slavery / Chimchar f Lv. 7
    Rock Smash, Cut, Strength, Ember

in Daycare (because too weak to use as teammember):
    Fodder (nomen est omen) / Pachirisu f Lv. 16
    Bide, Quick Attack, Charm, Spark (according to Bulbapedia at least)

Boxed:
    2x Shinx lv. 3
    Tackle

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
  • First update for Crystal!

-Began adventure -- Name: Kris (For old times sake)
    -Got Poke Gear
    -Got kicked by Silver (For old times sake)
    -Talked to Prof. Elm -- obtained Cyndaquil
    -Trained Cyndaquil on Wild Pokes
    -Got Map Card from Guide Gent
    -Got Mystery Egg from Mr.Pokemon
    -Phone Call from: Prof. Elm
    -First Rival Battle
    -Rival: Silver -- Gave Prof. Elm the Mystery Egg
    -Captured a Hoothoot -- HM Slave [FLY]
    -Arrived in Violet City
    -Took on Sprout Town -- Cyndaquil Evolved
    -Defeated Falkner

Team:
    Quilava [Level 16]

Moveset:
    Scratch
    Growl
    Smokescreen
    Ember

HM Slave:
    Hoothoot [Level 5]

Togepi Egg

Years
  • I didnt really get along in the last days, and Pikachu seems to be a lot weaker than in gen 3, maybe just because it doesnt have Thunderbolt yet. Even worse is that apparently (at least Bulbapedia says so) there is only one Thunderstone in the entire game outside the Underground, and it's in Sunnyshore City, so it will take me eternally to evolve Pikachu. In Platinum there is also a Thunderstone in the Solaceon Ruins, but sadly i'm playing on Pearl...

Team:

Pleeeeeaase / Luxray m Lv. 44

@ /
    Naive Nature
    Intimidate
    - Crunch
    - Return
    - Spark
    - Bite
    Didnt really change, and i still don't know whether i should teach it iron tail or thunderbolt on the last slot, but i think i'll go with thunderbolt...

Not Again / Pikachu f Lv. 22

@ Exp. Share
    Rash Nature
    Static
    - HP Steel
    - Thunder Wave
    - Grass Knot
    - Slam
    damn, this is really hard to train, grass knot does pretty much nothing, that move 5HKOed a Goldeen that was 2 levels higher than Pikachu, or at least it would have 5HKOed if Pikachu would have had enough HP left. I was hoping for a good Hidden Power, but i got Steel, so Slam is probably the only usable move it currently has...

HM-Slave:
    Slavery / Chimchar f Lv. 7
    Rock Smash, Cut, Strength, Ember

in Daycare (because too weak to use as teammember):
    Fodder (nomen est omen) / Pachirisu f Lv. ?
    Bide, Quick Attack, Charm, Spark (according to Bulbapedia at least)

Boxed:
    2x Shinx lv. 3
    Tackle

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I am to return to the challenge! But, if it's not too much trouble, could I drop the Rock challenge and pick up my Water challenge that I started a long time ago? I completed Kanto but then stopped.

I've already started on Crystal. I've got a Totodile (Tock), Poliwag (Tyson) and Wooper (Arthur). I like Water. There are lots available, and I don't have to always use a Geodude. I've beaten Falkner (leaving the Sprout Tower until later) and now I'm heading to Union Cave.

Years
  • currently trying to get all the way from Veilstone to Pastoria, Pikachu became a lot better after it learned Thunderbolt, but it's still a Pikachu, which isnt really in my favor...

Luxray didnt change, Pikachu leveled to 30 or 31 and has now the moveset i consider to be ideal (Thunderbolt/Dig/BrickBreak/GrassKnot), Grass Knot still isnt that good, but at least it's a weapon against those Gravelers. Later in the game, when there are more evolved Pokemon, which means, all pokemon are heavier, i'm sure it will become an usefull move.
    Oh, and i caught two new teammembers, since i was still missing pokemon for the remaining 4 HMs Chimchar can't learn: Hydrophile/Psyduck (which i also taught Flash, but i'm probably never going to use it) and Gen4Pidgey/Starly so my team is complete now.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back