• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Under age smoking

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Underage smoking - I don't like seeing such things happen, or even knowing that such things happen when I'm not looking. In fact, I oppose the idea of smoking in total for anybody, but I oppose the idea of underage smoking even more.

However, I don't oppose their smoking habit and views on its own. I can't say I don't advice people to quit sometimes by giving some reasons, but I only do that a few times before deciding to keep quiet about it. Besides, advice is far from forcing or commanding somebody to do as I say about this.

I used to question such people directly about smoking related subjects, specially about why they smoke. But most of the times the answer that was something like "I don't know why I do it. I like it, I guess."
    Smoking ~starts~ as a choice, and I feel that choosing to smoke is one of the worst choices you can make in your life.
    This is what I hate most. It is always people's choices to start, and the fact that they chose to start it themselves is something that... bothers me, I guess...

I personally ignore the fact that someone smokes most of the time, as long it doesn't really get in the way of something. Encouraging other people to smoke is something I clearly don't appreciate.
    I myself don't smoke, and since I don't like it in the least bit, I will never turn to smoking in the future either.

tl;dr: I'm against the idea of underage smoking, and the whole idea of smoking itself.
    But I'm against the idea alone, and not the people who do smoke, specially when they're adults and they smoke while they know about it, but want to do it anyways.

------

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
  • I started smoking when I was 18, I wasn't forced into it, I wasn't doing to look cool, it was just what I wanted to do so I decided to do it.

My experience exactly. I started to smoke about two months before turning 18. I wanted to try it and I enjoyed it. Still do. I don't have any stigma that I think I'm cooler for smoking. It's relaxing to me and I enjoy the taste.

If someone wants to smoke it's their choice. I hope those who do smoke are of legal consenting age, though I can't very much judge those who choose to do it beforehand based on my own background. In all honesty I don't think a 16 or 17 year old smoking is that big of a big deal, but cases like the 2 year old who smoked 40 a day should not be tolerated.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    I'm 16, almost 17, and I smoke casually.
    I don't find it addictive at all, and I just do it every few months to relax. I don't see why it's such a big deal, if you can control yourself and enjoy it in moderation like everything else in life it's fine. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2012
    I say no to any age. I learned of the affects of it last year, and vowed never to smoke. Will never think about trying, you will never see my try. Those who smoke are making a very poor decision, and I definitely vote against it.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • I'm against smoking in general for personal reasons. I would never ban it, but I'd try my best to make sure none of the people I love ever start. And I'd never abandon them even if they did. Everyone's got weaknesses, and to talk down about someone because of theirs probably means you're insecure about your own, or that you refuse to acknowledge them in the first place. People can be weak by nature and it doesn't make them any less of an intelligent human being. Rather than ridicule them, why not try to help them? Or better yet, live and let live.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Oh, you want to know my honest opinion? If you started smoking underage with the knowledge that you're not supposed to smoke you probably don't have the mental capacity to remain in the gene pool. In fact, anybody who smokes probably doesn't have the right mentality for a clean gene pool. And to me smoking is overall completely sickening and intolerable. Sue me.

I'm just going to assume you know from first hand experience how easy it is to be sucked into smoking, correct? Leaving alone how easy it is to get cigarettes nowadays, it's a horribly hard habit to break. So yes, he made a mistake. But that doesn't mean he's an absolute idiot.

But of course, everyone has different reactions to smoking. Some people do eventually kill themselves from it, but others just (as demonstrated by a few people now) do it casually and it's not a habit to them. Just don't assume everyone is an absolute idiot.

Kitty!

mandi
    Years
  • I started smoking when I was underaged. Most people who start did as well.

People really need to lay off the smoking insults. If you don't like smoking, that's fine, there's really no reason to put smokers down, besides to be a douche like you are. Smokers are very aware of the damage that's being done, trust me.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    If you want to smoke and risk your health then fine. that's your call. it's just sad to see such young kids doing this to themselves.

my problem with it was when I was younger, around 14-16, my parents were very strict about smoking (not that they had to be since I had no desire to do it) anyway, about 80% of the people I hung out with around that time smoked, so I would come home smelling like it which would lead my parents into this huge fit about ~omg you were around smokers, I BET YOU WERE THE ONE WHO SMOKED, WHERE ARE YOU HIDING YOUR CIGS :| DON'T LIE TO US >:|" and it was such a pain to deal with especially since I have never smoked in my life.

so yeah, I think it's stupid to do since there is no positive outcome from smoking imo, but i'm not going to stop one of my friends if they pull out a smoke, or lecture them or anything.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2015
    I don't agree with underage smoking, and I don't personally like smoking in general but people can do whatever they please. And like others have stated, getting a pack of cigarettes isn't really that hard to do if you are underage and have older friends. I myself wouldn't purchase for someone else under 18, because I don't feel like kids that are 12, 13, or 14 should have cigarettes. Even 16, 17 year olds, eh, still underage but I guess less iffy than those who are much younger. Most people don't even blink if someone who looks old enough is smoking.

I have asthma, so I can't stand smoke, period. It just drives me nuts being around a smoker, and since my relatives smoke a lot I don't really see them much. My home with my family is smoke free, thank goodness. I don't mind if my friends smoke that's their choice, but I don't want to be around it when they do. I have tried a cigarette or two before and the taste is more awful (for me) than the smell. I only tried it since I was of age and it was to kill my own curiosity. I can't understand how something so awful to me could be such a habit. But, it is and that's just that. I still think only people of age should be smoking, even if it is easy to obtain nowadays.

UltimaSilva

Varsity Quarterback
    Years
  • I say if kids want to ruin their lungs then it's their choice and their problem. They learned the dangers and were too stupid not to realize that smoking is bad. I myself do not smoke at all because of athletics. Plus, the stench of it is disgusting.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • It's sickening. I have friends, on taller than urm... Well they are short and only like 13. But they poked and it was weird. The short ones are both ginger girls. But they got encouragement from friends to stop and it was surprisingly easy for them to stop. Alre smoking in my circle of friends is uncool so that helped. Anyway, I treasure my life, money and wellbeing too much to even think of smoking. Oh wow I just realised that some may have even started at 11 o_O

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    Once and once alone, during an inter-school football match, a few schoolmates and a then-friend and I went to the back of an abandoned building during a heavy rain. I ate a takeout burger from McDonalds and they smoked. They offered me a cig and I declined; the entire time I felt a little indifferent, albeit paranoid about being discovered by school authorities.

To be honest they weren't the greatest-influence crowd students, but I accepted that they had their poisons. They were actually kind people who didn't look down on me for being the only one there not having a fix.

My family is full of health-conscious people and I've had that sort of influence. I don't care for smoking. Likely I'll give a shot at one pack someday in my life, but to be honest I'd rather not have that smell and all the other wonderful side-effects of regular to heavy smoking dragging after me.

Kuru

Fever Dream
    Years
  • I'm 18 now, almost 19. I started smoking when I was 14 due to stress and depression and other things and smoking helped me remain calm usually. I had quit when I was 17 because I didn't like doing it, but started up again in November. Though, I'm not underage any more, it's a habit that I go in and out of. I don't like doing it, I just need it to calm down sometimes.

Anyways, my opinion on underage smoking. I don't think kids should be doing it, even though I did it. I wish I hadn't, it's a terrible habit and it doesn't really do anything good for you.

Years
  • I don't hate anyone who smokes, but I don't like it when they do. I would not think any less of them if they smoke, but personally I don't think it's a good idea, as it kills.

I especially don't like underage smoking, generally as A LOT, not all, are doing it to show off and act 'cool'. They usually hang out at the train station and look 12 years old.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Anyone who smokes under the legal age of smoking isn't smart enough to realize the danger they're exposing themselves to. I'm only 16 years old, and I wouldn't want to smoke later on in my life.

Charliezard

A wild shroomish appeared!
    Years
  • Smoke near me and I'll leave or hate you for it if it's in a situation I can't exactly walk away from. Smoke away from me and then come near me while you smell bad and I'll think you stink and not want to be around you. Smoke away from me and don't smell when you come near me and I won't care.
    That goes for people of any age... When underage people smoke I feel sorry for them, they obviously have pretty average parents (No offence to anyone that was/is an underage smoker but you can't deny that something's gone wrong xP)

Back