• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Underpowered Starters.

Lexxy

sup brah?
Years
  • I have a Pignite at this moment and time and I'm highly disappointed in how often he dies. His nature applies quite a bit of defense and even then normal attacks that shouldn't harm him very much are just demolishing the thing.

Because of this I am probably going to box him as soon as I get my Heatmor, but that is really far in the future.

Does anyone else feel as though their starter is extremely weak in comparison to Pokemon almost 10 levels lower than their own?

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I only really send in my Serperior against types he's supereffective against, so nope.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Servine murders everything, but I might switch out with Whimsicott.

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Actually my starter in all games are my strongest but if you have a bad type advatage or bad moves that may be why he's not very strong

Years
  • Emboar was always one of the best Pokemon on my team, but as the game progressed he became less and less useful, so I replaced him. I don't think Emboar is under-powered though.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I was slightly disappointed with Verde my Servine. Way back when (2 weeks ago) when he was a Snivy fresh from the lab, he absolutely decimated. Sadly, over time he seemed to lag behind in terms of power. By the time I reached Victory Road I had to sub him in for Pawniard (now Bisharp). Ironically, she's also kinda underpowered.

I don't whether she just had unlucky IVs or what, but I was really disappointed, because I loved the design of their Evo chain.

Lexxy

sup brah?
    Years
  • Maybe it was just the stats my Tepig received in the beginning or my playing style doesn't match up with how he's going. However, I'm going to evolve him and then box him. Below is the team I'm working on instead, I will eventually add a Heatmor.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2011
    still haven't reached that far in the game at all. But I have to say it just be bad IV's-- bad luck for you.

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    LOL Emboar is incredibly powerful and the best starter of the 3

Well i don't know about that talk to my Samurotts lol yay but Emboar is preety good and powered based i can't imagine it being under-powered.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • My Servine was pretty good, but I replaced it with Sawsbuck because, face it, high ATK+Horn Leech+Leech Seed=in-game hax

JooJoobs

Boomin' and Bunkin'
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    Nope my Oshawott has always been the clutch of my team basically. He can always pull through in the tight spots.. Hes a Dewott now, almost a Samurott and once that comes he's going to be unstoppable. His adamant nature has definitely given him the egde with razor shell though.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I don't think they are really underpowered but there are tons of better choices for their types available.

Lambda

Boss of Team Plasma
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2011
    Yeah Starter are usually designed to be somewhat strong pokemonfor you to have. Because come onimagine starting the game with a patrat.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Nope my Oshawott has always been the clutch of my team basically. He can always pull through in the tight spots.. Hes a Dewott now, almost a Samurott and once that comes he's going to be unstoppable. His adamant nature has definitely given him the egde with razor shell though.
    Amen to that. I have an adamant nature oshawott (now samurott) and one hit of his razor shell majority of the time was all that was needed to critically damage or KO a foe so long he wasn't at a type disadvantage.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • My Samurott is a BEAST, its not the Pokemon that's weak, its how difficult the NPC's are this time around. They up'd the difficulty a lot.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I actually don't. My Emboar is the strongest member of my team. Serperior and Samurott, however, are really weak and die easily. I dunno, I think Emboar's moveset and the fact that Brick Break is a good move to use in Unova helps me most of the time though. Actually, I think Emboar is stronger than most other past generation starters, actually. So yeah I'm the opposite. XD;

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • The only Pokemon I've had trouble with (fainting ALOT) was my Lillipup...I found I was going to the Pokemon Center A CRAP TON when I was trying to train it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2013
    Well i don't know about that talk to my Samurotts lol yay but Emboar is preety good and powered based i can't imagine it being under-powered.

In wifi battling terms, Emboar is better than Samurott

Back