• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated Games

Years
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. Soundtrack... So beautiful. Dragon Ball GT soundtrack reminds me so much of PMD soundtrack.
    Need For Speed Carbon - Not many people did like it, I liked it for car sounds and sprints.
    Juiced. This game was a trash, but had so much fun with many cars and modding.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • You've misunderstood the point of the advertisement. The player guide came with scratch and sniff stickers.
    The ad played off of this in a manner similar to the humor found in the game itself.

Keep in mind, I couldn't even read when this game came out. I didn't have the magazine. I'm only going by reviews I've seen. But even though that was the point of the advertisement, if you actually sniffed it or didn't have that same sense of humor the game has, you would think the game would stink. And would you buy it? Probably not, if you didn't see the humor in it.

Also here to say that Pokemon is underrated. People think that because they play it as a child, they can't enjoy it today because they're no longer a child. Doesn't make it any less of a game. In fact, a lot of new features make it better to be an older player. The EV training, competitive battling, shiny hunting, etc. Couldn't do that back then like you can now.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
  • The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker

Simply because of the immense expectations from being a Zelda game after OoT. I still think it's the best Zelda game made, nostalgia aside.

Since an LoZ game can't really be underrated I'm gonna throw in Beyond Good and Evil.

The S

The Reverend
    Years
  • Going to throw in a few more games:

As a huge Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan for nearly my entire life, I tend to be pretty adamant about how those games play. I'll still buy/play them even if they're terrible, because I'm a collector, but if it's rubbish, I definitely know it.

A majority of the games released this millennium have gotten spite on levels that boggle my mind. The Konami games were decent to good, and yet, nearly every magazine and website gave them horrendous reviews. While most were not on the level of the earlier games, they were at least enjoyable enough for me to make several plays through each.

When Ubisoft took over the license in 2006 for the upcoming film, they ended up releasing a game that was basically "Prince of Persia lite". Sure, it was short and needed a lot more combat, but it was okay. Still, it got snubbed hard. The GBA game ended up compared more favorably and rightly so, however.

Then there was Ubisoft's releases from last year. Turtles in Time Re-Shelled LIVE Arcade and PSN got my vote for "GOTY" just because I had so much damn fun with it, giving it more playtime than any other game I had purchased that year. However, it was again given horrible ratings in the media despite the fact that it improved on the original in literally every way possible. Somehow it made ScrewAttack's biggest video game disappointment of all time, despite the original being their #1 beat-'em-up. I just don't understand people sometimes.

Then, there was TMNT: Smash-Up. It was a Smash Bros.-like game that was co-developed by ex-Team Ninja employees as well as Game Arts, who worked on Brawl. It was majorly overhyped and underdelivered, true, but it did get decent reviews (most publications gave it something in the neighborhood of a 7/10, which I had done myself prior to professional reviews releasing). However, because of several things (three Rabbids shoved into the game in a cast of a measly 16 characters, virtually no representation of characters from the many different incarnations, as they had indicated there would be, and very little to unlock), there was a lot of fanrage and they ended up missing out on what was genuinely a solid game with elements from other fighters such as weapons clashing and so forth.

(Ubisoft's third game that year, Arcade Attack for the DS, genuinely was trash, unfortunately).

I'd also like to throw Psycho Fox for the Master System into the mix. I love that game to death but it seems that other than similar games on later consoles, it has been ignored completely. I'd give anything just to have it on Virtual Console, let alone a remake/sequel.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Grandia Xtreme (PS2) - Reviews weren't terrible, most were average honestly, and while many consider the worst in the series, I found the game tremendously addicting. The story, and characters left a lot to be desired, but the battle system, which happens to be my favorite in any RPG, more than makes up for it. Even the battle system in Grandia III didn't feel as fun or fast paced. I usually don't bother with extra dungeons, but with this game I did the 100 floor randomized dungeon, and even beat the boss at top. Having some sweet battle music definitely helps too.

Okage: Shadow King (PS2) - Unheard of game with quirky designs, music, and story that's quite challenging. I love it just because it was radically different from your average RPG.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
  • earthbound - no one here has heard of it. even when lucas and ness are in brawl and theres a trial version of earthbound in it, no one here notices it.

Yes, nobody here has heard of it even though it's been mentioned a few times already...

But I agree; almost everybody I know doesn't know what Earthbound is. I personally love the series and think its one of the most beautiful jewels that most people will never be able to see... :(

I also would like to put Pokémon Sapphire, Pokémon Ruby, and Pokémon Emerald. Most people regard the 3rd generation as the downfall of all Pokémon games, but I personally think that the franchise hasn't fell yet and I don't think it will fall anytime soon.

Blueberry

Stargazer
    Years
  • Ahh, well when I saw this thread only two games really came to mind.

Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure & Radiata Stories ♥

I only played through Radiata Stories once, but I'll always remember it entirely and I find it such a shame that so many other people have never even heard of it before.

Years
  • Deadly Creatures.

It wasn't that it was badly reviewed, it was just completely ignored.

In a similar scenario, I'm adding Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) into this topic.

It was very well praised by gamers and critics, but because the N64 was in its last year or so, and the PS2 was on the market, this game didn't get the sales it deserved.

A huge shame, as it's one of my favourite games.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Earthbound, for all the reasons above, plus the original Japanese version had some additional nightmare fuel. Srsly, it had nudity, satanic references, and even some racist remarks! And they say Nintendo is for kids.

Fire Emblem 8: The Sacred Stones. EVERYONE hates on it because it's easy to level grind in it. Honestly, I find it to be very well planned out and the fact the game doesn't end makes it appealing too.

Kazbat028

The Only Guy With a Girlfriend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2011
    Sacred Stones was the ****.
    I also appreciate the genius behind Sigma Star Saga. Wait... nevermind. that game sucks.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Sword of the Stars, it's a fantastic strategy game that was well-received yet I never see anyone discuss it.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    EarthBound - It was such a fun game! It deserves a bigger fanbase, though unfortunately I don't think that would happen soon. :(

Back