• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Underrated

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    Do anyone of you love a certain Pokemon but find that it's underrated and people don't even talk about it much? I have a ton of Pokemon that I feel are underrated, but coming out at the top of my list is Sableye. It looks cool, first of all, and its also one of the Dark Types that can be obtained in RSE early one, with the exception of Poocheyena, of course. It also can learn Mean Look, which makes it an invaluable asset to catch Pokemon like Latias and Latios. What Pokemon do you guys think are underrated? Let's get the discussion started!

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I really love Onix to this day. I don't hear many people talking about him. And I've always wanted him as a Starter in at least one game.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I've always loved Lanturn and Chinchou a lot. Chinchou just looks so adorable and not like your regular fish Pokemon. Lanturn looks cute, has a very nice and unique design, plus he has a very cool type combo (:

Years
  • Despite Butterfree having pretty low stats (lower than some first and second stage Pokemon), I've always found it to be very useful and always underrated. With Compoundeyes giving moves like Sleep Powder a 97.5% chance of hitting from a very early level, and then being able to learn moves like Dream Eater later on make it an unsuspecting force.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I don't really see much people using Beedrill often. Sure, it might have mediocre stats, but its movepool fixes it, Agility + Swords Dance + attack = hell...makes such a good sweeper.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well...two main ones are Lanturn and Castform.
    I used Lanturn in my last play of HeartGold and believe me, it was an absolute tank. Had a moveset of Stockpile / Surf / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt (or Discharge, can't remember). Within two Stockpiles most pokémon can't 2HKO it with Earthquake, it absolutely wrecked Lance, I had to switch it out so Feraligatr could go toe-to-toe with a Dragonite :)

And on my current Emerald save, Castform has turned out to be pretty deadly. It has equal speed to Ludicolo, and with a moveset of Hail / Sunny Day / Flash (HM, yeah) / Weather Ball, complimented by Ludicolo's Rain Dance, it absolutely destroys. It defeated 4 of Drake's pokémon on the trot OHKO's with Hail set up, Hail compliments my Ludicolo's Blizzard so he was easily able to take on Kingdra :)
    Unlike Lanturn its probably less of an individual, more of a team player. Just a shame it doesn't have a Sandstorm form, or I'd be able to combo with Swampert that way as well as through Ludicolo's rain.

Yeah, they're the two that come to mind at the moment anyway. Obviously, competitively Castform is absolutely useless and Lanturn's underused for a reason.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I always loved Dodrio, not sure why people hate it, I just love it a lot. However it got knocked down to NU and RU from UU in the transition from 4th gen to 5th gen.

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • I really like pokemon like Dunsparce and I don't really hear people talk about it that much, but when they do it's usually about how much it sucked, and how much it's underrated.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    I really love Onix to this day. I don't hear many people talking about him. And I've always wanted him as a Starter in at least one game.

Yeah, I agree with you. Onix has a pretty high defense and attack stats, and can be quite powerful if time is invested in training it. Though I doubt there would be a rock Pokemo. As a starter, apart from Pokemon Yellow, Nitendo seems to be sticking with the ol' fire, water and grass starters, but that's not to say that Onix will never become a starter! :)

I've always loved Lanturn and Chinchou a lot. Chinchou just looks so adorable and not like your regular fish Pokemon. Lanturn looks cute, has a very nice and unique design, plus he has a very cool type combo (:

Yep, the combination of Electric and Water makes it one of the few Pokemon that has types that are weak to each other. Sadly, Laturn and Chinchiu haven't really made an major appearances, and I don't hear most people talking about them when it comes to water types... :(

Despite Butterfree having pretty low stats (lower than some first and second stage Pokemon), I've always found it to be very useful and always underrated. With Compoundeyes giving moves like Sleep Powder a 97.5% chance of hitting from a very early level, and then being able to learn moves like Dream Eater later on make it an unsuspecting force.

:D Another thing that I like about Butterfree is the quick evolution. Whoever heard of a Pokemon evolving to its third stage at Level 10? I'm quite surprised that this is underrated, though. Butterfree has the ability to inflict many status conditions and the like, and its good for making your friends bang their heads against the wall in multiplayer! xD

And on my current Emerald save, Castform has turned out to be pretty deadly. It has equal speed to Ludicolo, and with a moveset of Hail / Sunny Day / Flash (HM, yeah) / Weather Ball, complimented by Ludicolo's Rain Dance, it absolutely destroys. It defeated 4 of Drake's pokémon on the trot OHKO's with Hail set up, Hail compliments my Ludicolo's Blizzard so he was easily able to take on Kingdra :)
    Unlike Lanturn its probably less of an individual, more of a team player. Just a shame it doesn't have a Sandstorm form, or I'd be able to combo with Swampert that way as well as through Ludicolo's rain.

Castform rocks! I had it on my team on Emerald and it was awesome! Did I mention it was cute? xD The thing that makes Castform deadly is the Weather Ball and the ability to change with the weather condition. I think it's the only Pokemon that can do that, no?

I always loved Dodrio, not sure why people hate it, I just love it a lot. However it got knocked down to NU and RU from UU in the transition from 4th gen to 5th gen.

Hmm.. I've never personally trained a Dodorio but it caused my team quite a bit of problems, especially with Tri Attack, so I may just catch one later on just to try it out, though. :D

I don't really see much people using Beedrill often. Sure, it might have mediocre stats, but its movepool fixes it, Agility + Swords Dance + attack = hell...makes such a good sweeper.

You're right about that. It's speed just rules. If trained long enough, it can wipe out a Pokemon real fast before it even can attack. I've never used Beedrill properly before though, but I've used Ninjask before, another speedy Pokemon, which I find is pretty underrated as well.

I really like pokemon like Dunsparce and I don't really hear people talk about it that much, but when they do it's usually about how much it sucked, and how much it's underrated.

Ouch. That really is the extreme. All my friends talk about it like you described, and I must admit when I was playing Pokemon at 5 and only used to judge Pokemon based on first impression, I was like "Eww... What on earth is that?" Now, I'm gonna try to find one and actually see for myself how it's like.:)

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2013
    Do anyone of you love a certain Pokemon but find that it's underrated and people don't even talk about it much? I have a ton of Pokemon that I feel are underrated, but coming out at the top of my list is Sableye. It looks cool, first of all, and its also one of the Dark Types that can be obtained in RSE early one, with the exception of Poocheyena, of course. It also can learn Mean Look, which makes it an invaluable asset to catch Pokemon like Latias and Latios. What Pokemon do you guys think are underrated? Let's get the discussion started!

I haven't played Pokemon in years, but am getting prepared for X & Y. I'm researching some of the Pokemon and moves that I missed out on along with strategies, but Sableye and Spiritomb caught my attention for their ghost/dark type allowing them to have no weaknesses. I'm not sure if that's right, haven't been into Pokemon in years, but those two definately caught my attention.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I love Sandslash and I never see it on anyone's team and Sandsalsh is a pretty good pokemon.
    I hear of Sandslash often, I feel. And Gary had one on his team in Yellow so I always think of that ^^ But that's me!

I think Zangoose is underrated. I never hear people talk of it, but I loved it in Ruby and I think it's coolness is on par with Lucario and Zoroark if not even higher. It is one of my favorite pokémon, but the only time I see it is randomly in people's avatars pretty seldom.

I have no idea if it is commonly used in competitive battling though, as I never do that.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Zangoose is pretty bad-ass. It's pretty much my favourite pokémon I've never owned. That and Blastoise (never started with Squirtle, if I'm not going to have a Charizard I always think "well I'd better at least get Bulbasaur").

From what I remember its in a lower tier, but does fairly well there.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Marowak. Hardly anyone uses this anymore :( makes me sad cos it's such a great pokemon.
    Yes, Marowak.

Also, Rapidash? It is one of the most beautiful pokémon imo but I don't think we see it or hear about it very often. In the anime, there were one episode featuring a Ponyta evolving, and in the PokéSpe manga there is one Ponyta/Rapidash. I really like them and think they should be featured in avatars and things more often ^^ Maybe I should get a Rapidash theme.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2013
    Stunfisk, not for competitive play, but just as a cool typing and Pokemon. (Ground/Electric)

Arron13

Calm, Relaxed, but Competative
    Years
  • I love using Meganium but almost all of my friends hate him. It is always hard to choose a starter in Jhoto as they are all awesome pokemon but Meganium has to be my favorite.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Xatu. Not only does it have an incredibly unique and appealing design to me, but it's now a viable threat in higher tiers. Magic Bounce was a dream come true. No more jokes about it's pitiable stats! Well.....people are gonna joke regardless, but yeah!

Years
  • I'm surprised no one mentioned Druddigon yet. Such cool palettes and design. ):

I honestly don't know much about the stats and stuff about Druddigon, but it seems underrated. Maybe it's one of those Pokemon that might need a pre-evolution.

Years
  • I agree that Sandslash(and Sandshrew) don't get the love they should. It's the ground-type Pikachu, and everyone loves Pikachu for some reason.

Back