• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Unneeded or missing features?

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    HeartGold and SoulSilver introduced a lot of new features that were never brought in before in previous games and old features that were. With so many features included, which do you think were unneeded or missing that should have been put into the game?

I personally believe that the GSDS remakes could have brought in back the Pokéradar feature from DPPt. It was a great feature in which allowed many to chain for shinies and also keep a chain going when EVing against a certain Pokémon. Why it was not brought back? Possibly because of the change in grass tile style in which it didn't function well with how the Pokéradar worded or because the game makers thought it made finding shinies too easy for the players. Regardless, I wouldn't have mind having that feature brought back into HG/SS.

Last edited:

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    HOLY FRACK THE POKE RADAR.

Seriously, Game Freak, how could you have possibly left us who actually use it out? SHAME ON YOU.

I wanted my shinies that I couldn't get in DPPt...damn you, Game Freak! >:V

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I miss the in-game trade where you traded a Chansey for an Aerodactyl.

Yeah, you can revive one via Fossil, but it's not the same :<

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
    Apparently there was a feature in dppt to mass move pokemon in the boxes. And apparently this feature has been removed in hgss. I read it on some forum I can't remember where though...

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    1 Thing - VS SEEKER

it's so annoying waiting for calls for rematches, and its so difficult to train.

I wonder why they downgraded so many things in HG/SS....

Seriously, was there any point in downgrading the VS Seeker to a stupid phone?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I wonder why they downgraded so many things in HG/SS....

Seriously, was there any point in downgrading the VS Seeker to a stupid phone?
    I imagine it was because it's a GSC remake, and so they decided to go with the phone again, akin to GSC. (Especially seeing it has some 'role' in that you get a few important phone calls to progress in the storyline). Only they added more phone numbers (like the gym leaders), and removed the limit on how many numbers you could have and all.

It'd have been nice if they had put in a VS Seeker as well to battle people not accessible via the phone, but oh well. Phone isn't that bad actually - some people you rematch with it give you items as well (like Proteins, or the evolution stones, etc), and the gym leaders rematches are pretty good for levelling (you can just keep calling them over and over in the same time period they have rematches). It doesn't quite help that atm all the names are in Japanese and all so it's hard to see who you're calling without commiting names to memory or just learning, obviously.

SCV058

The Able Vet
    Years
    I think the primary thing that was not needed was a completely identical Battle Frontier. I mean, does the Sinnoh battle frontier fly around or does the gatehouse teleport-I would have rather had no Battle Frontier than an essentially identical one.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I think the primary thing that was not needed was a completely identical Battle Frontier. I mean, does the Sinnoh battle frontier fly around or does the gatehouse teleport-I would have rather had no Battle Frontier than an essentially identical one.
    Hmm, I'd agree it would have been nice to see a different one, facilities and all, even if they did it so it had compatibility with Platinum. Although I prefer one than none at all, personally. =/ Also apparently they changed the Pokemon you encounter there and all so HG/SS moves and the such are included in the Battle Frontier, at least.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    At first when it was confirmed that the Battle Frontier would remain the exact same with a slight alterations compared to Platinum, it felt a bit downgrading or in this case fail. However, because of compatability reasons to share connection with that of Platinum's Frontier, then I let it pass. It's a nice feature included and allows extended play to the game even after Kanto. Like mentioned, it is better to have at least regardless of it being the same than none at all. If anything had to be changed though, it would have been nice to have a new Frontier for Johto overall.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012

Maybe the Sinnoh frontier is actually the Johto frontier.

Supposedly HG/SS were in development stages since the time D/P first came out, perhaps the frontier in Sinnoh was actually designed for Johto but they copy pasted it into Platinum and that just happened to predate HG/SS.

Derp.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    1 Thing - VS SEEKER

it's so annoying waiting for calls for rematches, and its so difficult to train.
    This.

Also it makes pooling money harder, since instead of beating up old men and women for cash every day, you are limited to beating up an old man every Tuesday for a limited time only.

Back