• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues

Which party are you voting for? (If you could vote...) Foreigners are welcomed.

• Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 98 63.2%
  • Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Third Party (Green, Liberatarian...etc.)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote...

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
    In the final twenty-four hours of the campaign, two damaging statements from Sen. Obama have come to light.

The first is an audio from an interview he did in January 2008 for the San Francisco Gate where he basicly states he plans to bankrupt the coal industry.

The second an interview he did back in 2003 where he defined the middle class as a person making between fifty and seventy thousand dollars per year.

Something I always wondered: What about the people below middle class? Who are they, what defines them?

Are there tax breaks for them?

Xairmo

G-String Grandmas, tonight on Sick, Sad World
    Years
    I'd just like to say one thing:
    OBAMA WON!! W000000000000000000000000000000000000t!!!
    That is all ._.

speedinglight

Normal Human
    Years
    In the final twenty-four hours of the campaign, two damaging statements from Sen. Obama have come to light.

The first is an audio from an interview he did in January 2008 for the San Francisco Gate where he basicly states he plans to bankrupt the coal industry.

The second an interview he did back in 2003 where he defined the middle class as a person making between fifty and seventy thousand dollars per year.

Heh those came a wiiitle late didn't they?

Cynic Kaka

Credentials.
    Years
    Dang, I just found out about this.

Well, here was my opinion.

Today we have a major decision to make. We can vote Obama/Biden or McCain/Palin; either way, we will end up with a historical presidential team.

But, sometimes, we have to ask if the historical aspect really is worth it.

For anyone who has listened to Barack Obama's views, they would notice how similar they were to another leader. Obama's views on spreading the wealth around, his stance on taxation, his ways of attempting to make every American equal-- Karl Marx, anyone? Equality is one thing, but there are people who have earned their fortunes and there are people who have earned their misfortunes. Why should the person who sits at home all day, burping and watching reruns of Seinfeld, get the wealth of a man who worked since he was 16, saved his money, started his own business, and went on to become successful?

Not that voting for McCain will help us out either. McCain's stance on the war has many people nervous. When asked what he thought about Bush stating that we may be in Iraq for the next 50 years, "Maybe 100" was what the Republican nominee replied. Not only that, but considering he voted with Bush 90 percent of the time, it's difficult to believe that even Michael Savage's endorsement of McCain could re-enchant too many people to the Republican party.

Many of us are disgusted, tired, and altogether done with this whole election. We don't want either candidate to win, but we feel the need to vote for the lesser of two evils.

But, there is a better way.

With four major contenders in the third-party system, we should all be shocked and ashamed at the media for not focusing at least a small amount of time on each of them. It turns out that we don't have to vote for the lesser of two evils, but we can actually vote for something good!

Here's a rundown of all four third-party candidates that may have a chance of winning:

Ralph Nadar is a familiar name. He has been involved in four presidential elections from 1996 to this year's slaughterfest; the first two under the Green Party and the following two under the Independent flag. Though he may have been charged with making Al Gore lose the election in 2000, many people voted for him because they were tired of both major parties and wanted real change. Nadar founded Public Citizen to weed out corruption, has worked intently on trying to improve the safety of automobiles, is an activist against nuclear power, and has helped out dozens of non-profit organizations. Many states allow you to just bubble in his name, but in one, you may have to write him in.

Another name you might have heard is Bob Barr, Libertarian Presidential candidate. With Wayne Allen-Root by his side, they have become a sensation, showing many young Americans that you can vote for a third-party and that there are other options out there. Though they have stated that "anyone voting for Ron Paul should vote for them," Barr and Allen-Root have proven to be independent from any particular candidate's agendas. Some of Barr stances include, but have not always been; supporting legalization of medical marijuana, opposing a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, bringing the troops home, and the elimination of the income tax, among others. Though a former Republican, he may make a better choice as a Libertarian.

Chuck Baldwin, the man who Ron Paul endorses for president, is running under the Constitution Party, mostly under write in. He is a founder of Crossroads Baptist Church and also a pastor there. He is very passionate about his views,and opposes the attacks on personal civil liberties in the United States. He is against the formation of a New World Order, the United Nations, income tax, and the Patriot act. He also supports going back to the gold standard, withdrawing troops from Iraq, stopping illegal immigration, the right to bear arms, homeschooling, and pro-life initiatives.

Rounding up the third party candidates is my personal choice, Cynthia McKinney of the Green Party. She was the first African-American woman to have represented Georgia in the house, has more years than Obama under her belt experience-wise, and is not afraid to tackle controversial and emotional issues. For example, a year after the 9/11 reports were released, she immediately began pointing out the inconsistencies and flaws within the research. Some of her stances include, but are definitely not limited to; release murder reports for Martin Luther King, Jr. and Tupac Shakur before the Freedom of Information Act takes place for both of them, ending the War on Terror, and Hurricane Katrina activism.

So if, like me, you're completely disenchanted with the supposed "two-party-really-being-one-party-with-two-faces" system we have now, try your hand at voting for a third party. Who knows? Maybe you'll have an impact that will scare the big wigs into actually doing their jobs.

Back