• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues

Which party are you voting for? (If you could vote...) Foreigners are welcomed.

• Democratic Party (Obama/Biden...Your Democratic Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 98 63.2%
  • Republican Party (McCain/Palin...Your Republican Congressman/Senator)

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Third Party (Green, Liberatarian...etc.)

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • I'm disillusioned. It's all campaign rhetoric I won't even bother to vote...

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    US Elections 2008: Debate the Issues (Vote on Nov.4!)

For after Election Day coverage: US Elections 2008: The Results, Voting Experience and Consequences

Thank you for those who contributed to this thread. It has been my most successful one thus far. I respect your opinions now, you know mines...No hard feelings okay? No offense if I hurt your feelings, I apologize to those who feel hurt. I'll continue contributing but I believe we have said what we could say...You guys are very nice and I admire you for defending your positions. Thank you PC and Administrators for giving me the Opportunity to do this. Even without a blog I was able to keep a record of my opinions in this Historic Election and Moment in our Worlds history. Remember to Vote on November 4, 2008 (or early Vote)

May the American People choose wisely, and God help us all in the problems ahead in our World. "We are all in the same boat no matter our Political disposition." ^_^

------------------------------------
    Call me an unusual teenager for liking computers, debates, and politics but we must help our fellow fence-sitters here in PC make an informed decision on the 2008 US Elections. Some would say the Elections don't matter but as we have seen after the 2000 Elections...IT DOES MATTER Just think of a straight line moved slightly...It adds up! the direction changes!
    Remember don't let the stupid campaign distraction affect you! (Such as McCain being old and Obama drawing crowds)

Now we know the line up: Obama/Biden for the Democrats and McCain/Palin for the Republicans...Also the third parties if you're for that...Remember Congressional Seats are also up for grabs!!!(Where third parties have better chances...:D)

In anticipation to the Prez and Vice-Prez debates: Show your opinions, debate issues from foreign policy (Foreigners this affects YOU! You are invited to discuss the topics!), to Climate Change (Energy Independence and what-not), to true Universal Healthcare!

Rules & Regulations: All PC rules apply...Please don't name call...be rational...bring evidence (links, summarize them since not everyone is going there) and understand the person on the other side.
    (Read this: A lesson in Kindness: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=151476)

Options on posting: Question & Answer form (Question on top, answer bottom)
    Show your candidates opinions on the issues. (As you see it)

Thanks for Participating!!! I might edit this for aesthetic appeal than the wall of text I currently have...​

Thread Starter: Should we start drilling for oil offshore?
    My Opinion: Not really, I don't see the feasibility of it since it's still the oil companies that will control it. And it's 7 years at least till we see a drop of oil from there.​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Foreign policy? Wot-wot, where can I find this information?

And yes, drill for oil. Rigs won't blow up the world or anything... Well, they'd best make sure there actually is oil there first.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2008
    Don't know who I'm voting for yet.

Also, there is no reason to not drill for oil. Oil has no other use that we know of, so we might as well use it.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    im totally against oil rigging off coasts, seeing as I live in near the coast in cali. i mean, i care about my great-children in the year 2099, but by then, i hope, there would be a newer, reusable energy source.

All it does now, would be polluting our ocean with oil with more oil spills and accidents that decimate our local ecology.

Years
    Well....

im totally against oil rigging off coasts, seeing as I live in near the coast in cali. i mean, i care about my great-children in the year 2099, but by then, i hope, there would be a newer, reusable energy source.

All it does now, would be polluting our ocean with oil with more oil spills and accidents that decimate our local ecology.

I live near San Pedro (South LA) so I'm right beside the Oil Refinaries...I hate the Oil Companies dumping all those chemicals into the air that I'm breathing...so I'm against anything that profits Big Oil...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Hey, may I also ask what the point of the republican party in the US is? Said country is already a republic with the sort of ideals a republican party would promote anyway.

Oh and so my other question isn't left in the dust: again, what're the foreign policies they're touting?

Years
    Political Parties...

Hey, may I also ask what the point of the republican party in the US is? Said country is already a republic with the sort of ideals a republican party would promote anyway.

Oh and so my other question isn't left in the dust: again, what're the foreign policies they're touting?

Ok...just to make an example of Canada (Hey...hey!!! YOU GUYS ARE VOTING TOO!!! SNAP ELECTIONS ARE BEING HINTED BY PM STEPHEN HARPER!!! TO BREAK YOUR POLITICAL DEADLOCK...WHAT A COINCIDENCE eh?) There are the two major Political parties Liberal and Conservative. (Their names essentially give their positions yet I think the Canadian Conservative party is more liberal than the Democrats.) The two major Political Parties use the names Republican (or GOP Grand Old Party) and Democrat since it has been formalized about 100 years ago to differentiate themselves (and I think because it's neutral sounding.) And anyways people in the US wouldn't really want the name Liberal for the Democrats and Conservative for Republicans. And yes this is technically already a Republic and a Democracy.

Oh...Their "Official" Foreign Policy: It's too long I'll just link it up...(Remember Google is your friend) :D and it's too long to post here.

Barack Obama: https://www.barackobama.com/issues/foreignpolicy/
    John McCain: https://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/054184f4-6b51-40dd-8964-54fcf66a1e68.htm
    Third Parties: Google it up...to lazy to do so...

SpartanPatriot

It was fun....goodbye.
    Years
    Obama is probably going to win. I honestly want Obama to win because he is highly intelligent, young and the best of the two candidates. I say that with the upmost respect. One of the issues that is important to me is getting the troops out of Iraq. The war is needless. McCain supports the war and Obama does not and that is one thing that makes me very happy. On the Death penalty Obama does not support it but he does not want it abolished even though "it does little to deter crimes". Mccain supprts the death penalty. On Guantanemo bay both cadidates do not like it and want it gone. And the last thing I really care about at the moment (all I can really think of) is civil libertys and rights.

Just look here and I believe you will see why I favor Barack Obama.

https://www.obama-mccain.info/compare-obama-mccain-civil-liberties.php

These are just my opinions so please do not flame me. You can surely disagree but please do not say "idiot! obama is a terroorrizt! obama = osama!"

Years
    New...

New Topic:

Should we get out of Iraq? (Even though George Bush is already going in that direction)

I think so...Iraq was essentially a "blunder" and another imperialistic war for us here in the US (See now we look like a bunch of Hypocrites when Russia "invaded" Georgia)

But then again my Dad's line of thought is "If we get out of Iraq the terrorists comes back in and then we have to go back in AGAIN..." That does make me a little wary...

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    Wow, I'm the only one who picked the last choice. XD

Being an anarchist myself, I think America would be better off without a leader. But seeing as I don't see this happening for another few years, I'd vote Liberal.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    New Topic:

[S-HIGHLIGHT]Should we get out of Iraq? (Even though George Bush is already going in that direction)[/S-HIGHLIGHT]

I think so...Iraq was essentially a "blunder" and another imperialistic war for us here in the US (See now we look like a bunch of Hypocrites when Russia "invaded" Georgia)

But then again my Dad's line of thought is [S-HIGHLIGHT]"If we get out of Iraq the terrorists comes back in and then we have to go back in AGAIN..."[/S-HIGHLIGHT] That does make me a little wary...
    Terroists arn't even in Iraq. Therrorists are in Afganistan.
    Staying in Iraq was pronounced usless as soon as Sadam lost power.
    Sadam is gone, and there is no WMDs.

Alakazam17 said:
    Being an anarchist myself, I think America would be better off without a leader. But seeing as I don't see this happening for another few years, I'd vote Liberal.

I know it's your opinion, I respect that. However, I do beileve that a real government needs laws and a leader (One who is not a moron).
    Some anarchies have rules, but they are not enforced.
    Laws are way more effective than rules.

Last edited:

SpartanPatriot

It was fun....goodbye.
    Years
    I am an American and I like this country but sometimes the congress and presidents are idiots. Plain and simple. We think we need to be world police and keep everything in order and that is ridiculous. Saddam Husein was right to be punished but to be killed? He was an awful man but he did not deserve to be killed. How would Americans like it if the, let's say, Chinese government came here accusing us of having WMD's, took our leader and hung him? Even though ALOT of people may hate Bush he has no reason to be killed.

We had absolutely no right to go into Iraq and try to change everything. It is not our country and by this happening it has severly hurt our economy. I know if the Chinese government or some other government came into this country with soldiers, false accusations and intent to change our way of life I would be pretty pissed. The war is unnecessary and it crap.

Zennerick

The Researcher
    Years
    Oil and McCain

I am an American and I like this country but sometimes the congress and presidents are idiots. Plain and simple. We think we need to be world police and keep everything in order and that is ridiculous. Saddam Husein was right to be punished but to be killed? He was an awful man but he did not deserve to be killed. How would Americans like it if the, let's say, Chinese government came here accusing us of having WMD's, took our leader and hung him? Even though ALOT of people may hate Bush he has no reason to be killed.

We had absolutely no right to go into Iraq and try to change everything. It is not our country and by this happening it has severly hurt our economy. I know if the Chinese government or some other government came into this country with soldiers, false accusations and intent to change our way of life I would be pretty pissed. The war is unnecessary and it crap.

I agree. Sure, we could help other countries. That would be great.
    Unfortunately, The government feels like it has spent too much time and money to just leave Iraq alone. It wants to control it and its oil.

America has vast resources of oil and natural gas – enough oil to power more than 60 million cars for the next six decades and enough natural gas to heat 60 million homes for 160 years, according to government estimates. We may have considerably more resources, since the government conducted their last true inventory in the early 1980s using old data from now-outdated seismic equipment.

The Republicans of course! Don't worry, your never too young to get into politics.
    McCain is way too self-centered. All he does is talk about himself and his life stories constantly; Making himself sound superior to the world.
    It's sickening. I can't stand it!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I hope we can get the ball rolling on universal health care already. It's pretty disgusting and frankly embarassing that we don't have it yet.

Years
    Hooray a Supporter...

I hope we can get the ball rolling on universal health care already. It's pretty disgusting and frankly embarassing that we don't have it yet.

It's 10:30 PM (again) here in Wilmington so I'll have a short reply for now...Don't worry I'll address the issues brought up later...(Tomorrow)

Yes I was part of the Harbor-UCLA Summer Youth Health Program here in Wilmington...Our studies this summer was crucial because of the proposed closing of county haspitals in LA (DURING an economic downturn!!!)...We watched "Sicko" and it's sickening on how the Insurance companies and Government treats US Citizens...That is why it's one of my goals to promote TRUE Universal Health-care here in the USA (Lucky, Canada)

Also Allstories I thought you were Republican...(Sorry...I misunderstood you...)

Last edited:
    Years
    I am a registered independent. I simply believe in what I believe in and do not side with any particular party. However, I do lean mostly to the left.

I will be voting for Ralph Nader, as he holds many of my views and looks as though he would be a competent leader for our country.

I do not trust Barack Obama due to the fact that he has left his half-brother to rot in Africa and apparently has strong Islamic ties. He also lacks the experience necessary to lead our country.

As for John McCain, my sig should sum up what I think of the man. Our country does not need another ultra conservative in office. I am also tired of hearing him tell stories of his days as a POW and trying to get people to feel empathy for him. It sickens me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2008
    Except he is not ultra conservative. Notice they needed Palin to balance him out.

Also, for third party voters, way to waste your vote.

Years
    Patriotism...

Terroists arn't even in Iraq. Terrorists are in Afganistan.
    Staying in Iraq was pronounced usless as soon as Sadam lost power.
    Sadam is gone, and there is no WMDs.

Yes...I know that the terrorists are NOT in Iraq...There in the Tribal Pakistani Territories. But by going into Iraq and spending all that money the US Government made the Middle East a worse place because as my dad's line of thought goes...Iraq is too weak to handle it's own security (They are at a political deadlock and their military isn't organized enough to handle the terrorists who would probably try to wrestle control of the country from the "Democratic" Government.)

I agree. Sure, we could help other countries. That would be great.
    Unfortunately, The government feels like it has spent too much time and money to just leave Iraq alone. It wants to control it and its oil.

America has vast resources of oil and natural gas – enough oil to power more than 60 million cars for the next six decades and enough natural gas to heat 60 million homes for 160 years, according to government estimates. We may have considerably more resources, since the government conducted their last true inventory in the early 1980s using old data from now-outdated seismic equipment.

McCain is way too self-centered. All he does is talk about himself and his life stories constantly; Making himself sound superior to the world.
    It's sickening. I can't stand it!

That is true the Government DOES feel that way...Spent too much resources and manpower to abandon "it" now.

Yes John McCain is relatively self-centered I mean (sorry..) I've heard his POW story a lot of times already and to keep forcing that to our mouths ON EVERY CAMPAIN STOP just to "show" his Patriotism is just too much. I mean don't question someone elses Patriotism just because he wasn't a Veteran like yourself. If you want the betterment of your fellow citizen YOUR A PATRIOT. And not enough Flag-Waving and singing of the national anthem can top that.

And yes John McCain is somewhat like Cotton Hill.

Last edited:
    Years
    Except he is not ultra conservative. Notice they needed Palin to balance him out.
    It is clear that he only nominated Palin as his VP to get the female vote. Many women are angry at Obama for nominating Joe Biden as his VP instead of Hillary Clinton. Therefore, by nominating Palin, McCain will get many women to vote for him, since he (unlike Obama) chose a woman as his running mate. Pretty clever tactic, if I do say so myself.

Also, if you knew anything about his history, you would know that he is quite the slimy philanderer.

Back