• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other FULL] Vale Institute of Magic (M) (IC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
Years

Jack Marrick and Zane Reav

Jack managed to keep his shoulders straight while he walked away from the girls. Sure that Shion was scary but Imari had told him a bit about the school with no complaints, and the two seemed to be on good terms so she could be too bad. He only had a few moments of self conscious rumination before he heard a voice ask for help. When he saw the guy speakin was coming from the main building he was surprised he'd heard his voice before really noticing him. I need to get less absorbed in my thoughts. "Well I'm not sure what I could do to help, I've been here just long enough to watch a royal ass beating, what is it you need?"

Hook, line, and sinker, the kid answered back. Now it was in Zane's court to propel the conversation into his next step of planning. It wouldn't stop at that, though. Just like before, he still planned on working on his spells. While preparing his thoughts on what to say next he gave the boy a quick glance. A goofy almagation of curly blonde hair, lanky appendages, and height stood in front of Zane. It made him wonder what kind of person Shion was to be associated with this fellow, not to mention what kind of person he himself must be interact with the aforementioned goofball. Regardless, he had found his words and knew that it was a necessarry event to get closer to Shion.

After a few seconds Jack noticed the guy's naturally intense eyes had grown serious for a moment in stark contrast to his earlier tone. "So...what is it you wanted?" He asked, opting not to point out the intensity he'd seen.

Zane feared that the guy in front of him was starting to get antsy, which prompted him to speak a bit faster than he intended. "Honestly, it isn't anything too special, per se. I was thinking up a new idea for a spell and I was wondering if you knew a place to practice. Seeing how you just got here I'll take it that you don't know of one, do you?" His smile slanted into his unaturally happy grin, just as he'd done many times before.

Jack felt relieved, it was a question he could actually answer, more or less. But something about that smile unnerved him, it almost made him think of an angry ape. Baring their teeth and making no hostile noise, yet anything but friendly. "Well I'm sure there's a lot of other places I'm not aware of, considering battles seem to be a regular thing around here. But I did just witness one myself." He stepped to the side and gestured behind him back towards what had recently been an anti gravity field. "They've finished over there from what I can tell, and I assume it's a proper place since there was a teacher watching the whole fight. You could probably get in whatever practice you need there."

Jack's brow furrowed for a split second when he recalled the fight. "I don't think they were first years but I definitely need to practice as soon as I know what's going on myself. Watching all that made me realize I know even less about magic than I thought, much less how to fight with it."

The fact that the boy had next to no experience with magic gave Zane a fantastic idea. One that if it worked out would do them both some good, well it might do something good for the other guy, but probably not. "Oh, so you're new to magic too, huh? I've got an idea, since you said there was a field back that way," he pointed in the same direction as the boy gestured to earlier. "Then why don't we have a little sparring session, or we could just practice some techniques. So, what do ya say?"

An interesting prospect indeed. Jack wasn't a big fan of fighting, or at least he didn't think he was, but he'd definitely enjoyed watching the match earlier. Plus if he got in a sparring match with a student before getting oriented or whatever they did here, maybe he'd be more prepared. "Since we're both first years I'd say that sounds like a good opportunity, I'm sure it's going to take a few painful beatdowns before we can fight on the level of the upperclassmen. They're... almost scary." He smiled, he felt his blood pumping a bit faster. "You're on...uh... Oh that's right, my name is Jack, Jack Marrick. It's nice to meet you." He put out his hand, both as a greeting and to solidify the challenge.

It was all going as planned for Zane. His plan of working on his spell was going smoothly and he was even getting an early chance at talking with one of Shion's [apparent] friends.Truly it was a two birds one stone moment. He obliged in the handshake, as he shook Jacks hand firmly. "The name's Zane Reav. Likewise, it's nice to meet you." He waited a few seconds before continuing. "Yeah, I bet the older students would be pretty fiersome," his thoughts focused on the fight only moments before. "I'd bet I could give 'em a run for their money, though. One of teachers said something about my magic being some sort of rare and powerful breed, but I'd like to think it's just the way I use my magic that makes it strong. Enough about me, though. Shall we get going?"

"Let's." Jack replied before walking towards the field. All tools require a certain amount of skill to use, even a weapon is just a tool used for violent purposes. And magic is the ultimate tool if it's true to it's definition. This guy seems like the cocky type, but regardless of how special his magic may be he must be smart to use it well enough to impress the staff around here. I have to watch out. It was only when they were actually at the field that Jack remembered Shion and Imari, there was no way they'd left yet. Well crap...Ah well, if i look like an idiot it happens, too late to worry about it. "So." Jack called out, kneeling and feeling the ground to make sure there were metal deposits scattered about. "Since you're the challenger I'll make the first move. Is that alright?"

"Yep, that's fine with me. I'd rather go second anyway." Zane replied. For him a fight wasn't all that different than a game of chess. Often, the person to make the first move revealed their cards before they can make use of it. It didn't help that he didn't want to push himself too much, seeing how he had already been in a close fight with that Christian kid earlier. Just to prepare, he bounced in place for a few moments to loosen himself up. "I'm ready when you are."

Zane looked very relaxed and composed for someone about to fight, then again this was a sparring bout. "You got it." Jack was in luck. Whether the people who set up the school had foreseen such circumstances or the ground around here was just lush in minerals. Bits of iron were all over the place, there was even some platinum and corundum. Jack felt for the precious fuel of his magic and imagined it all coming towards him. His plan worked and in less than 10 seconds, without the ground being disturbed at all metal of various minerals floated out and solidified into a lump next to him.

Last edited:

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
Years

Zane Reav and Jack Marrick

He didn't want to show his hand, but his father had told him Chess was based in varying ways on war, and he was damn good at it. All too often he'd turned the tables on his father by going first and creating a false mistake or by making his first turn as observant as the waiting phase. What could be called an attack but wouldn't kill one of them if he screwed up? Jack whipped one of his hands over the lump and pulled an orb out of it which quickly became a dense, but blunt disk and flung it at Zane as hard as he could. The disk flew perfectly as if guided by Jack and not proper physics.

The summoning and launching of the metal projectile instantly revealed to Zane his opponents element. That gave him something to work with. He began devising a plan that would hopefully unnerve his opponent, even if it was just a sparring match. As the projectile neared him he threw out his left arm, taking the attack head on. Pain echoed throughout his arm, indicating that something may have broken, but it was all part of his game. He wanted to send a message that he wasn't afraid of Jack's attacks and that he was something far greater to be feared. With his right arm he made the signature pose of his Light Beam attack, with the finger gun aimed directly at Jacks lower right leg. If Jack couldn't stand, then logic would dictate his throwing range would be limited, but that was merely a front. With finger gun aimed, a streak of light came blazing out, faster than a bullet. The shot was merely the beginning, though, as Zane was not one to relax his would be advantage. He rushed in for a follow-up attack, one that would disorient his opponent should it connect. As he got closer to Jack he looked to see if the initial shot had landed.

The attack hit... perfectly? Zane had just taken the hit like some kind of psychopath. Jack grimaced, more at the crunching sound Zane's arm made than the act itself. He's definitely the one with the attitude advantage in this fight. But if he thinks I'm going to be afraid of someone just because they're cocky enough to handicap themselves he's got another thing coming... unless he's crazy in which case there isn't any point trying to figure him out. Jack was still staring at Zane's arm when he noticed a shift in his countenance. A finger pistol? Crazy or not there was no way he'd take a free hit and then just stand there posing unless he didn't even want to win. Jack didn't have time to try and figure out where Zane was aiming after not even being sure it was an attack, so he just moved. It turned out to be a fortuitous choice because his leg moved just enough to get a cut instead of a hole.

He'd kept his eyes on his opponent the whole time but he wasn't sure what had hit him, it hadn't looked like anything. Air..no too fast, and I didn't feel anything else...then what. He didn't have time for any great revelation before Zane rushed him. There is one rule of war that could never be captured by a turn based game, even one as complex as Chess, and that is that neither attacking nor defending is superior to the other. It is instead ideal to do both. Jack took advantage of the fact that Zane hadn't wasted a second thought on the metal disk and made what almost looked like a "get over here!" gesture towards himself, pulling it as hard as he'd thrown it towards them and Zane's back. In a panic he couldn't think of what kind of shield to make on the spot so he spread out and hardened a plate of metal almost the size of his body in between himself and Zane.

In an instant, a large plate of metal spawned in between his planned path. His rush was deviated to the side just barely past his intended target, but still well within his range. It was unfortunate that his Light Beam attack only grazed Jack, but at least Jack didn't seem to know what occurred. Zane's body began glowing as he closed in on Jack, probably about nine or ten feet away. He decided to fire off one more shot before his Flashbang would go off, but this time he aimed for the center of mass, regardless of how potentially deadly it could be. Jack had already shown that he was adept to perceiving things, so Zane gave him an ultimatum: either bite the bullet or face the unknown. The beam shot straight and true, aimed perfectly near Jack's lower abdomen. Either he'd dodge that attack or he'd be taking one helluva hit.

Jack honestly hadn't expected the match to get this heated this quickly, he'd had no idea what to expect but nonetheless he was amazed. Zane's attack apparently didn't have to be too soon and the makeshift shield proved pointless, but Zane still hadn't noticed the disk chasing him. Jack prepared to make a staff or rod of some sort to crack Zane in the stomach before he could get off whatever was making him glow, but just when he thought he'd made a good move Zane made the deadly shape with his hand once again. Ugh, he's got me, there's no way I could dodge something so fast I couldn't see it from a distance when he's this close...and whatever's glowing has to be a doozy. It wasn't ideal but luckily Jack was no stranger to pain, so he made his choice. He beckoned once again, bringing the large metal plate behind the disk at the same pace and lunged straight at Zane.

The shot went right through his stomach and he could have sworn everything turned black for a split second in perfect sync with the lance of pain that went right from the wound to his brain. When he got even closer to Zane the glowing made him shut his eyes for a second but accuracy shouldn't be a problem at this point, now Zane had no better opportunity to dodge than he did, and if there was one thing his broad shoulders and well-used arms were good for it was a tackle.

This Jack kid was proving to be a gutsier opponent than he had expected, especially seeing how he'd just arrived. His statement only lasted for a few moments, as the shot connected, technically leaving Jack with less guts as it tore through his stomach. What followed next actually caught Zane a bit off-guard. Jack plowed forward, seemingly unphased, though Zane knew how bad the damage had to be. After all, he'd seen someone almost bleed out from a shoulder wound, let alone what Jack just took. Even if it surprised Zane, his spell had already began and there was no stopping it. The glowing reached its zenith over the span of the tackle. Light burst forth, followed by concussive wave of sound and pressure. For those not particularly close to the user it seemed like a simple flash mixed with a sonic boom, but for those close enough to feel the true effect it was nightmarish. To be blunt, it was like putting your head in a jet fighter engine while it was taking off.

He was of course no expert, but Jack definitely hadn't been expecting anything with so much raw power from a first year student. He seemed to be successfully pushing Zane in the surprise of his charge, but before the collision he was hoping for could happen all his senses were assaulted at once. His eyes throbbed from the bright light even through his lids, if they hadn't been closed he sure would have been blinded by a point blank blast. His ears registered a single pop and then nothing but a dull ringing, and his entire body felt like it had run into a wall that hit's back. He was flung almost 10 feet away from Zane and after hitting the ground he tasted copper and smelled the sickly-sweet stench of blood from both his nose and his mouth. Surely after something like that Zane would be in no condition to dodge or endure a hit too well? He could only hope so when he finally managed to open his still-pulsing eyes again.

Zane's flashbang seemed to have the desired effect, much like it did in his first fight with Christian. It was so crude, yet rather amazing in it's simplicity, much like the weapon he had based it on. Even though he seemed to be in the advantageous spot, he was still unaware of the two incoming projectiles. The concussive force of the flashbang impeded their momentum, but they weren't completely stopped. Before he even knew it, the two pieces of metal collided with his right shoulder. The attack was clearly weaker than before, but it still hurt. It felt like being punched in the arm by a trained fighter, something you'd rather avoid than take. After recovering from the blow, he backed up, making sure that he wasn't the victim of another surprise attack.

The next step Zane had for his little experiment could finally begin now that he had some time to prepare. Throughout the match he had been waiting for such a moment. He created a small orb of light in his palm, nothing more than a parlor trick in most situations. With it he planned to reverse the ideology behind his Vector Shift spell. In other words, he planned on turning light into a solid instead of turning a solid into light. He continued to fiddle with the spell all while waiting for Jack to recover.

Jack spent a good 30 seconds recovering his breath, beside the fact that the wind had been knocked out of him there was a bleeding hole in his abdoment and he may have cracked a rib or two. But he wasn't thinking about it like a sparring match anymore, now it was all a matter of winning, thankfully Zane gave him a chance to stand all the way back up. It hurt like hell, so bad in fact Jack almost lost his balance even though his legs had probably been far luckier than the rest of him. "As long as I've got a chance, let me say despite all the...well all the pain this is kinda fun! That last one kicked my ass pretty hard, but I'm not done yet.

His eyes darted around quickly but however he looked at it he came up short, the earlier projectiles were too close to Zane to do any real damage and the lump of metal he'd been using for ammunition was now too small to be reliable. He unconsciously touched his stomach and recoiled at the spike of pain and feeling of wetness. Crap... maybe I'm done after all...I mean what am I supposed to do while I'm bleeding ou-oh...ohhhh... Sometimes small bits of information can count for a lot, and it just so happens in this instance it's wonderful to know that human blood contains traces of iron. Jack focused as hard as he could manage on his stomach and pulled the same way he did when he felt minerals in the ground, he doubled over in pain for a second but he could feel it working.

Okay, he freaking shot me, I have a hole in me now. I can't afford to worry about only using blunt objects anymore. He pulled with his hand on the hole in his stomach, what happened could only be called "gruesome, yet beautiful" Appearing as if he was the stone pulling Excalibur out on it's own, Jack did pulled a large double-edged sword with a thick cross-guard from his stomach. It looked mostly plain, in the heat of the moment Jack hadn't shaped it to be a work of art, but the metal was tinged red, almost as if the sword was made of completely opaque polished ruby. "Okay, I'm not gonna lie, I had no idea I could do that. Thanks for the breather, real sporting of you Zane."

"No problem, though I'd be lying if I said it was me being a good sport. I told ya that I was working on a new spell, didn't I? I just needed time to try and work out the kinks." It was mostly true with what he said. Zane didn't let Jack up just because he was being nice, that'd be disrespectful to many. It'd be like taking it easy on him, though Zane technically already was, but that was for his own safety more so than Jack's. The overwhelming image of the sword gave Zane a bit of pause, as it would require him to succeed in his new spell or suffer the consequences. It wasn't a reassuring thought, seeing how it took quite a bit of time for him to develop the progenitor of the spell. He refocused his attention on the orb of light in his hand, glancing back and forth every few seconds to keep an eye on Jack. Timing would be a must if his plan was to succeed.

Ok, there was no way Zane could make himself explode again so soon, especially since he wasn't already charging it, so getting close shouldn't be nearly as stupid. Jack was well aware at this point however that they were both quick thinking and full of tricks, he couldn't just run in but he couldn't wait. A small idea formed in Jack's head and he rubbed his stomach with his left hand, coating his fingers with some fresh blood, morbid as it was. It was time for the double check stalemate to end. Jack poised the sword in front of his left shoulder pointing right at Zane and sprinted at him as hard as he could. Ok, just don't kill him just don't kill him. For the love of god don't hit him right in the chest if you get him, don't start off the school year with murder. Jack focused on either of Zane's shoulders, if he got him in the shoulder it was very unlikely he'd kill him but he'd probably be down for the count, especially if it was the same shoulder that had already been hit.

Jack thrust the bloodmetal blade at Zane's left shoulder with all the strength he had, keeping a tight grip on it so at a moment's notice he could twist to strike a different part of his opponent's body if he was about to parry.

In a matter of seconds, Jack was upon Zane. The sword was poised to be thrust cleanly into Zane's shoulder area of his injured arm. As the blade neared its mark, Zane prepared his counter for his last defense. With the now solidifying ball of light glowing a dull violet in his right hand, he slid the orb into the path of the sword. Initially, the block appeared to work. The orb of light forced the sword to partially deviate from its intended target, but before the parry could complete its motion, the orb shattered. A stunningly sharp pain sliced straight through the outside of Zane's left shoulder, continuing to knock him back and on the ground. Zane, while lying on the ground, gazed towards Jack to see what he would do. Satisfied with the progress of his new spell, he had already resigned to his fate.

The new spell's failure to complete threw Jack for such a loop he had almost missed Zane and fell flat on his face. He had started to twist the sword to hit Zane's other shoulder when he moved to parry but the shattering of what seemed to be a light sword messed up his trajectory and he was barely able to hit his original target and avoid a much more dangerous thrust to the chest. He still lost his balance and after the attack they both fell, Jack only staying upright because he was still holding on to the hilt of the sword in Zane's shoulder. He pushed himself upright and dematerialized the sword so Zane wouldn't have to suffer the pain of it being pulled out. Then he offered Zane his hand. "So, I'd say that's checkmate, it always ends when you've got the king cornered not after you finish him off right? That was crazy, who knows what would have happened if that wasn't your first time ever trying that spell."

Zane accepted his defeat, even if it was only a sparring session. He wasn't the kind of person to take any loss, unless it served a purpose, and for this loss in particular, it served a tremendous purpose. Sure, the spell didn't work exactly as planned, but he proved that the process was possible. "Yep," Zane cringed. "I think you won. And yeah, who knows how it would've gone if my spell actually worked, then again I'm not one to worry about such things. Nope, I just move on and make sure I do better next time." After his statement he made a painful attempt at a laugh.

Sephear

Years

Jack Marrick and Zane Reav

He made a come here motion with his good arm towards someone that appeared to be a teacher standing near the sidelines. "Hey, teach!" was about all he could yell out before his voice turned into something more akin to a whisper. "Do you think you could call a nurse or something? I don't think we're in any condition to walk all the way back to the nurse's office." Grimacing in pain, Zane just kind of lay there, waiting for the teacher to do his thing.

Jack simple nodded as Zane called out to what looked like a teacher. "Yeah, I'm not really in the habit of walking around with cracked ribs and holes in my stomach...ow." He decided he'd have to remember that blood trick, he would have expected the sword to fly out of his hands or completely miss from the dispersal of energy when Zane's light sword broke. It seemed like there was something special about the metal he made from his blood, since magic was supposed to be hereditary he wondered if metal mixing with his blood enchanted it somehow. He stayed standing just so he wouldn't have to bother with the pain of getting back up when help arrived.

"Those were some awesome spells you had, I'm going to have to remember them all in case we get matched up later. Spells as fast as yours are really hard to react to unless you know the signs ahead of time." He said to Zane while the teacher scurried off.

"Heh, thanks. You weren't so bad yourself, especially seeing how that was your first match. You've got a pretty good grip on your element, one that'd be a nightmare to go up against in some of the fields. You'll have to spar with me again sometime, it was fun. Well, everything except the more-than-likely broken and stabbed arm part. That I could've done without." Zane laughed again, sending shockwaves of pain down his arm. "So, what's your next move here in the school? Class has already been dismissed I think, so I'm not too sure what there is to do."

"Oh, you think so? I got lucky there, I don't know much about magic but I know plenty about metal. My father's a blacksmith, the first time we realized I had magical abilities was because I was staring at a lump of hot soft metal and all of a sudden it was a finished sword." Jack joined in Zane's laughter and gritted his teeth when he felt his stomach bleed a bit harder and hotter. "Yeah, I definitely wouldn't have complained if I'd managed to avoid getting shot in the stomach and practically exploding, a think a few of my ribs are cracked." He scratched his chin shortly when Zane brought up class being over already. "Oh crap, I didn't think I was that late. It must have been a pretty short class. I guess I don't really know what to do, you and a student who told me a little bit about the school earlier are the only people I've spoken to so far."

"I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. There were plenty of kids unable to attend class due to injury earlier, so I don't think you being late should affect you any. You're right, though, about class being short. It's kinda funny, since it was pretty short and everything, but it still managed to last what seemed like forever. Then again, it might just be that I don't like being cooped up in class when I could be putting my time developing my magic. I mean, there's only been one other person that's used my element, apparently." Zane paused for a few moments, as he realized he was going on a bit of a tirade. "Sorry, I was getting a bit off topic. The only thing we really did in class was get a brief introduction by the teacher, then he let us out. Uhm, as far as who to talk to, there was a pretty helpful teacher on the second floor. I think his name was Paul Sandford. Granted, I don't know if he's still there, since it's been at least an hour or so since I've seen him, and there's no telling when that nurse will get here. Speaking of which... Where's the nurse?! We're literally dying over here!"

"I suppose that's what we get for being this far away from the nurse's office, maybe she's going slowly just to punish u-oh, that looks like a nurse." A woman in some plain scrubs was walking towards them, she didn't look particularly cheerful about having to walk to the rascals who'd broken each other's bodies so bad. Jack raised his hand to wave but lowered it when he remembered how much blood they had on them, she didn't need any confirmation.

The nurse looked over them, gauging how injured each individual was. She moved over to Jack first, automatically thinking that the stomach wound was worse than Zane's shattered left arm. She immediately began working on the stomach and chest wound, completely ignoring the cut on his thigh. The wound began to absolve itself, like a natural stiching solidifying the hole. For Jack, and anyone else that would undergo a healing spell, the feeling was one of an unusual nature. It couldn't be described as painful, but an awkward shifting of bones and flesh were very obvious. Bits and pieces reset into their proper places, and it was all too obvious to the one being healed. After a few moments the nurse had finished with Jack and moved on to Zane, repeating the same process of healing magic. Just like before, the healing could be felt, and it too was over in a few moments. After the short healing process was over, she walked off back towards the main building, back to her office.

Jack stretched and readjusted himself. While not as painful as he'd been worried the healing had been very strange, he was all too aware of his body pracically knitting itself back together and his stomach itched. "So Zane, I should probably get going and find Mr. Sandford. It really was nice meeting you and I enjoyed our match, I feel like we both learned a thing or two."

"Yep, it was definitely a learning experience for the both of us. I guess I'll see you some other time, huh? Who knows, maybe we'll even be in the same class. That'd be kinda cool, right?" Zane finally took the time to stand back up. One last bit of courteousy he wanted to show before Jack left, just to show that he actually liked the fellow, was to extend his hand for one last shake before they parted. "Until next time?"

"Yeah, next time." Jack took Zane's hand and shook it for the last time with a smile on his face before walking towards the main building. Ok, second floor, Paul Sandford. Time to find out what it is I'm going to be doing here, besides kickass fights of course. He felt like he'd made a friend, of sorts at least. Zane had been a bit suspicious at first but the sparring match was fun and his words had felt genuine afterwords.

Within the flickering thoughts of the moments following Jack's exit, Zane realized a rather huge bit of oversight. He completely forgot to ask whether or not Jack knew Shion, which was the entire reason he had even talked to him in the first place... He just stood there, a half blank stare into nothingness adorning his face. With a quick smack to his forehead he sighed. At least he learned that he was right in that his light can be hardened, a fact which would prove to be helpful for future spells. With that he started pondering his next move, there really wasn't much left to do except locate the dorm he'd be staying. It just so happened that he wasn't told which dorm he'd be staying at, a fact he'd need to learn soon.

Colony

Years
Christian Miles

Christian had been struggling to maintain his consciousness for quite some time. It had been what seemed to be hours, lying there, waiting for someone, anyone, to help him. No one came to his aid, as they were preoccupied by other students, a common occurrence on the first day of school. What seemed to be a moderately light wound was quickly being realized as a much more severe problem, too late for any magic to help him.

The blood loss never ceased, dragging him away from reality. His mind slipped off into dreamland, then into nothingness. He never knew what it was like to have a true friend, something he felt he might've been able to find in Zane, but time did not agree. To think, the first umbramancer in fifty years would die to a simple gun shot wound—and in a test, no less. Somehow, it was a bit funny, something so rare yet not properly taken care of, like a giant redwood left to burn.

A black gas started to seep out of Christian's blood, slowly holding his body in a foggy embrace. Tendrils grew, picking away at the skin, muscle and bone, but no one seemed to notice, like they didn't even know he existed. In a way, he didn't. The murky darkness was erasing him, heart and soul alike, and in a matter of moments Christian was simply no more, his magic left behind to find itself a new host.

Zane Reav & Shion Igna

Only a few moments of imaginary arguments had passed since the fight with Jack. In the process of his introspection, he looked completely zoned out, just standing in place like an idiot. On top of that, he still knew he needed to be assigned a dorm room, which he really didn't want to do. He wasn't even sure where to go to get his dorm key or whatever, since he wasn't given one before the announcement like most of the other students.

"You're the light mage," a voice called.

"Yes. I believe I saw you during the exams; Shion, right? That was an impressive beating you dealt."

"I saw your fight."

"You did? I'm a little flattered. What did you think?"

"I think you're an idiot."

"What the? How am I an idiot?"

"You were injured from the examinations, weren't you? Why would you pick a fight?"

"I wouldn't really call it a fight, more or less a testing experience; a testing experience that proved quite useful. If I was really picking a fight I would've gone all out, now wouldn't I?" Zane winked at the conclusion of the question. "Besides, I'm okay now, aren't I—"

Zane's cheek met with the swing of a palm and a resounding, unmistakable slap. "If you're okay, then that shouldn't have hurt, right?"

"What the hell was that for?! Most people don't go hitting strangers!" The firm smack to his face was jarring to say the least, but not enough to prevent his hostile reaction.

"Most people also don't go asking strangers to fight them when they're injured."

"I told you already, I was okay when I challenged him. I only had some moderate cuts on my hand," he paused for a few seconds to rub his sore cheek and mumbled something about cracked ribs. "Besides, if you are so concerned then why are you hitting me? I'm supposed to be injured, aren't I?"

"I was holding back." Zane was hit with a realisation. He probably would've been stuck in a wall or something if she'd actually been trying to hurt him.

"And if you weren't paying attention, so was I. I could've easily won that fight if I really tried. Like I said, I wanted to test something and it ended up turning into a spar." Before he decided to leave, Zane noticed he could initiate Plan "Piss Off Indigo". He would have to be more delicate than that Neanderthal about his execution, though.

"Anyway, while I have the chance, I'd like you to know that I was impressed with what I saw of your fight, but I didn't get a good look at what you were able to do (as if demolishing a boulder with a single punch wasn't enough). I want to spar with you myself some time; maybe tomorrow?"

As Zane offered his hand, Shion took it in hers, personally a little eager to experience his light magic first-hand, and clearly he was more than happy to oblige to see what she had to offer as well. An odd stinging sensation came from his palm, though, and Zane didn't seem to notice. His magic must have cooled down by then, but Shion brushed it away. "Just don't get your ass kicked beforehand." The two agreed on a time, and Shion left Zane to his own devices.

Now to get a dorm assignment. They wouldn't have special rooms just for a photomancer, would they? No. No, they would not. Of course they wouldn't. They never had photomancers and umbramancers for students. Why should they change an entire chunk of the school just to accommodate one or two people? Next you're going to ask for unisex bathrooms for the handicapped. Savages.

With no other recourse, Zane ventured onward to one of the many offices located on the ground floor of the school building.

After a while of searching the halls, he finally found the student offices. Some younger lady, most likely in her twenties, was posted behind a computer and desk, complaining about how she was supposed to be teaching classes and not doing paperwork. Zane was a bit cautious to say anything, but it was pointless, as the lady-teacher had already noticed him. "Is there something I can help you with, Blondie?"

That was the second person in one day that someone had called him "blondie." Normally, that wouldn't bother him, but it was just kinda agitating now. Maybe it was due to the negative tone these people had been using? Either way, he still needed to talk to her. "I was wondering what dorm I'm supposed to be staying in."

The young lady leered at him, as if questioning his intelligence. "You're joking, right? It's the same as your element. Now, could you please leave? I was in the middle of something."

He sighed, "But that's the problem. My element isn't one of the normal dorms. See?" Simultaneously, he created one of his light orbs, both to show off and to continue his tests to harden it.

She looked at his display, obviously not amused. Zane watched as she grabbed a pencil and carved the dorm names into each side of it. She proceeded to roll the pencil, with the result saying "Platinum House." Her attention was then drawn to her computer, then to some little device next to the computer that he hadn't noticed until then. A sliver of platinum-colored plastic, much like a credit card was ejected from the device. The lady handed the card to Zane. "That's your room key, just so you know. You may or may not have an empty room, but that's not my problem. Now leave."

Zane didn't even feel like objecting to her attitude, as it was far too overbearing to deal with. He left like she asked and went towards the dorms, now looking for the dorm known as Platinum House. The building in question was rather grand; a shiny, modernistic display of ferromancy. It stood only three stories tall, but it's magnificence rivaled any skyscraper or modern art sculpture. Zane looked down at the keycard to see what room he may be in. What he found was the number "213" written on it.

He went into the dorm, up the steps to the second floor, and located his room. Surprisingly, his stuff had already been delivered, even though he had just learned about the room merely moments before. At this moment, he also noticed how lavish the furnishings were. State of the art computer, a desk made of precious metals, and a stylized queen-sized bed that matched the rest of the dorm's coloring; it was truly grand. He took a few moments to take it all in, followed by him plopping on the comfy bed and wondering what the upcoming days had in store for him.

Sephear

Years

Jack Marrick

A pleasant stroll through the school allowed Jack's mind to wander, and while he went up the steps to the second floor it settled back on the first fight he'd seen. Ok, maybe Dad's view made a little bit of sense. I mean girls who look good and kick ass have a special sort of appeal, but falling in love with a girl because she kicked YOUR ass still sounds ridiculous, but I'm glad he did, I like existing. When he got to the second floor he asked around until he knew where to find Mr. Sandford and did so, the man looked to be quite the gentleman type and was aging very gracefully in body and temperament. Sandford looked up to see the young man entering the room and smiled, young men didn't wear plaid so often anymore but he had to admit the boy had struck a pleasant balance between formal and casual with his. "Hello, is there something I can help you with young man?"

Jack put on a friendly but respectful smile. "Yes there is sir. I showed up kind of late because it was sort of hard for my dad to let me go and a few other reasons, so I missed whatever orientation there was."

"Ah, well you didn't miss much, err..."

"Oh! Sorry, my name is Jack, Jack Marrick."

"Nice to meet you Jack, since you knew where to find me I assume you know already but I'm Paul Sandford. You didn't miss too much, just a brief introduction to the school and monitored duels to serve as assessments for students, and I just so happen to have here some spare printouts from Oscar. You might need a proper assessment tomorrow but other than that you are just fine."

"Actually some of the staff may already have assessed me, I sort of already had a match against Zane Reav, it wasn't official or anything but I saw some teachers nearby."

"All the more convenient, someone might want to see you assessed in a more official capacity but you might get lucky. Alright, everything seems well enough in order, all you need to do now is set up your housing arrangements and the rest of the day is yours to do as you wish." Paul made sure all his papers were in order and led Jack out of the room, locking it behind him. Since he was getting ready to leave anyways he decided to guide Jack to what had basically become the makeshift housing assignment office for the day, normally they had a more specific place in mind but all the late arrivals and injuries had disorganized things a bit. The girl behind the computer frowned deeper than she already was at the sight of Jack but when she realized Paul was there she put on a plastic smile. "Why hello Mr.Sandford, what is it you need sir?"

Paul explained the whole situation and Jack was told that there were dorms for each element, and he was given a keycard for his assigned room. After leaving the office and thanking Paul for his help Jack made his way over to Platinum House, marveling at how grand it was until he stopped in front of a door labled: "213" the same as his card. He slipped it through the scanner and pushed the door open, it only took him a moment to step fully into the room and smirk at the irony of the situation. "Well I guess it won't be so hard for us to find each other when it's time for our rematch." He announced his presence.

Zane had passed out on the bed for roughly a half hour, but was stirred by the ruffling of shoes near the door. A click of a lock soon followed, along with the swinging of the door. Someone had entered his room, apparently without force. Was it a teacher? That wouldn't make much sense, but Zane didn't feel very inclined to learn the identity of the intruder, er, I mean visitor. Then a familiar voice rung out. Zane, still flat against the bed, turned his head to see one Jack Marrick standing to the side. "What a coincidence, it's Jack." he plainly said with a yawn to pause. "What bring you to my humble abode." Zane made a gesture with his hands to emphasize the entirety of the room. Even though he had a pretty logical hunch as to why Jack was in the room, he didn't want to jump to conclusions.

Jack shrugged and began looking around, it didn't take long for him to find the travel case containing his things that had been stuffed on a shelf. "Occam's Razor Zane, looks like it's our humble abode. I know Vale's a big deal and all but I was definitely impressed by the dorms." He sat down in a chair and started to unpack some of the more basic things.

From the look on Zane's face you would never be able to guess what he was thinking, as it was just a, albeit fake, groggy image; tired looking eyes, empty smile, and disheveled hair all made it look like he wasn't quite paying any attention. In reality, he had been aware of Jack since he had stopped outside the door. Whether or not Jack knew that, though, would be improbable in even the greatest of circumstances. After all, it's what Zane does; he puts on masks to evaluate the situation while lulling those around into a false sense of security. "Hmm, I guess so. Well, I'm tired, so goodnight. You can sleep over there if you'd like." Once again, Zane made a gesture, only this time it was designated toward the floor in a corner of the room.

Two books were pulled out, one about various bits of metalworking and one some sort of fantasy story. When Zane basically dismissed Jack to sleep on the floor he felt a twinge of annoyance and stood up. "Hold on just a second, one thing needs to be clear right now. This isn't your room with me as a guest, it's our room, and since they seem to have planned for me to be here in the first place and not you I don't think it's fair that it just be first come first serve either. I doubt we'll be missing a bed for long but we need to do something to fairly decide who gets the bed tonight."

The incessant nagging was not what Zane had in mind, neither was giving up the bed. He wasn't really lying when he said he was tired. It had only been thirty minutes since he actually fought Jack, but unlike Jack, Zane had also been in another duel and was smacked rather unfairly by the girl he was trying to be friendly with. Who wouldn't be tired after such an eventful day? Don't answer that.

Zane needed a way to get the bed all to himself, even if it meant slighting Jack for the night. Normally, he'd use the "I beat you" card, but seeing how he didn't win against Jack, it'd be really pointless. So, he went through a few ideas, finally coming to an interesting conclusion. Why should he be fair in this decision? After all, all's fair in love and war. This was just a war of a different kind; the war of comfy dreamlandia to be precise. "Fine, how about we decide with a game of roshambo?"

Jack raised an eyebrow at the mention of roshambo, he took a moment to ponder it on the outside. Really he thought it sounded fine and he didn't care that much about the bed, but he still remembered that flash of something off in Zane when they'd first met, and he wanted it to be clear nobody was just going to tell him what he could or couldn't do unless it was an authority figure. "Sounds fine to me."

They got ready and made the familiar movements, accompanied by "Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!" Jack didn't put too much thought into it, when he threw his hand down he flattened it in the paper shape. At first it appeared that Zane had made the proper counter by choosing scissors, but Jack quickly realized that it was much more dangerous than that. Zane had made the same finger gun pose that he used during their match, simultaneously saying "Bullet beats body." with a wry smirk.

For a second Jack felt cheated, but ultimately it was no big deal, and his sense of humor diffused his annoyance rather quickly. "Lucky for you I can't decide what shape would be good for a mirror in a split-second. Looks like that bed is yours, but screw sleeping on the floor." He shrugged as he admitted defeat and left the room for a minute with his only slightly ominous sentence hanging in the air. He came back into their room before much time passed with a bunch of pillows and cushions, found an empty spot on the other side of the room and began a clever bit of casting. In less than a minute Jack had a makeshift bed from a metal frame and a big heap of pillows and cushions on top.

Jack took his shoes and socks off before hopping onto his work of lazy-art and laying back. "Goodnight Zane, I guess now we're even at one win one loss, even if you cheated a little bit."

"I'd say it's more of a draw, seeing how it really doesn't seem to affect you," he yawned. "Gotta get one more thing out of my bag before going to sleep. Heh, you may even find it kinda funny." Zane pulled himself up off the covers rather quickly, betraying his percievable grogginess. He went over to one of his bags to forage for the item in question, finding it at the bottom of the largest one. Without disheveling the clothes and other things in the bag he slid the object out into the open air. It was a pillow of all things, well, if you could even call it that. In all reality, the thing wasn't much more than a dilapidated piece of cloth, begging to be put out of its misery. It definitely wasn't meant as a cushion for one's head. "See, I sleep on my side, so I sorta use my arm as a cushion. This awesome piece of feathery flatness is just enough cushion to make it not feel like you're sleeping on a rock. The best way I could describe it would be, like sleeping on broken angel wings." After Zane's little lecture about his pillow, he threw the raggedy mess on to the bed and proceeded to slide under the covers, being sure to turn off the lights in the process. Within a few moments he was out like the lights from before.

The Ferromancer did chuckle a bit, not at Zane's arm pillow, but the analogy. "You know that's kinda morbid, but I think I get it. Goodnight." He was surprised at how quickly he got comfortable and felt ready for sleep, the nurse's healing had erased the pain and injuries, but not the fatigue. It didn't take Jack long at all to drift off.

siiadams

Got 3DS back...1822-1106-0866
Years
Jason Barrett

Jason sat outside under the shade of the tree for who knows how long before he finally came to his senses. He felt stiff and a little drowsy, though he didn't remember falling asleep. Apparently the day had taken more out of him than he previously thought. As he stood and stretched, he looked around at the surrounding tranquility and noticed that there wasn't much going on around the campus. "Maybe there'll be some other activities to get involved in here, like parties or a dance or something," he thought as his mind imagined how the others he saw would dance. That entertained him a little as a smile crept across his face, but soon curiousity got the better of him and wondered where everyone else was. With a spring to his step and impromptu nap giving him more energy, Jason went back inside the building to explore.

He slowly perused the hallways, looking at the individual rooms and trying to remember where they were, making a map within his mind so he wouldn't get lost and be late next time. It took him a little time, but he slowly got used to the building and its features. He even saw what he thought were students walking around. He gave a slight wave to the students he saw, surprised by some reactions. A couple waved back, some nodded, one or two ignored him, and a group of three girls kinda giggled as he passed. On the whole, most didn't seem too eager to talk, but hopefully that'd change. "It looks like I may have to talk to some of these people myself if I want to have more friends," he thought, thinking back to talking with Nathan as they were searching for the infirmary.

Without realizing, he came to the door to the rec room, where he saw a few others he recognized from the classroom. However, he kinda froze in place instead of heading on in. He suddenly felt uncomfortable about being there and quickly walked away, heading down the hall again. "Next time..." he said to himself and soon got to the office. It quickly resurfaced from the back of his mind that he had no idea where he'd be staying or where his bag was. He quickly entered the office to find a female sitting behind a desk doing paperwork. He casually walked up to the desk, cleared his throat and said "Excuse me, miss?"

Boy, if looks could kill, Jason would be in the grave by now! The teacher shook her head and simply stated, "What do you want? I'm very busy!"

Jason shook his head, starting to get fed up with people's negative attitudes. If he's not careful, he could start getting one himself. "I simply need the key to my room. Jason Barrett."

Quick as a flash, the teacher called up his information on the computer and hit a few keystrokes, bringing another device to life. This one, however, simply ejected a small card similar to a hotel key. Scan and enter...easy as that. She pulled out the card and solemnly gave the card to him and went back to work. Jason took the key and started looking at it, noticing the number 214 printed on it. He looked at the machine that printed it out for a few seconds before hearing the teacher's voice again, "Need something else?" She looked almost ready to scream, so Jason simply said thanks for the key and walked out.

He soon got to the Platinum House and started looking for his room. In no time, he found the door to 214. He quickly scanned the card and entered his room, immediately seeing his bag on the bed. He smiled, grateful that he found his stuff, and started organizing the room. Soon, he was finished with getting his room straightened and was soon drowsy from all the activity. He decided to wait until tomorrow to look at the rec room. Who knows? He may come across someone to make friends with. With that thought playing across his mind, Jason changed into a sleeveless shirt and shorts and crawled into bed.

Last edited:

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years

Sytano Morgan

"I'm not even going to bother. G'night, everyone." Sytano got up promptly and, with a flustered look, pushed in his chair and shook his head quietly. Prestigious institute, huh?

Not really leaving a good first impression.
He skipped out on the Lounge, heading straight for the cafeteria instead. A quick bite of a dinner Sytano couldn't remember left him tired and slightly annoyed. Since when did a prestigious institute mess up like that? He sighed. Maybe there was a new person in charge or something. He rubbed his wrist and spun on his heel to the dorms, not really that sure about what to do. He remembered entering what he had considered "his" room, but it probably wasn't first come first serve, was it?

He asked around, and was directed to a room 306. That wasn't really too far, so he left for the room promptly and sighed thankfully realizing that the room he had entered before was his room. He thought to himself; there was probably something he did to figure out this was his before, but whatever he did was clouded by a more important subject; sleep. He hadn't noted much at all, when he thought of it, just the fact that the name of the building he was in was named "Phoenix Nest." He yawned again and changed after a shower, crawling onto his bed tired and slightly cranky. His entire body felt full of wedges and stiff, but as he laid into the bed this all went away.

These beds were extremely comfortable, he had to give em' that.

Imari Anselmi

As Imari entered her room, got prepared for the next day and finally pulled up the covers, she reminded herself why she didn't conduct 24 hour business. Usually. Because no one in this school would be dumb enough to stay up that late. No customers, no profit.

And with this she happily went to sleep as did the other inhabitants of the Platinum House.

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
Years
Yukio "Yuki" Higashi

Yukio found herself interacting more with the wildlife than the actual people in the school. Not so much interacting as much as watching squirrels skitter up trees and birds fly overhead with less cares than the ants below. The day had fleeted past and once where the sky was blue and bright it was now a beginning mixture of purples and oranges. It was beautiful, or so Yukio thought.

She rose from her place in the grass, flanked on either side by two young trees, and ran her hand along the length of one of her twin ponytails. She brought the strands of black between her fingers and stroked them as she walked back to her dormitories. During her walk she spotted other students and wondered what they were talking about, what they were doing, and where they were going.

All of the students were of a different background and it struck her that she might be the most extreme of those backgrounds as a transfer student from Japan. The thought both made her sullen and happy. Happy in the thought that she was possibly unique in that aspect and sullen in the thought that she was also a foreigner perhaps alone in a class of unique fellows.

She made to smile at one of the students that looked her way and even waved slightly as one of them waved to her. The small gesture of friendliness wiped the somber thoughts from her mind and she continued to her dorm unafflicted by them any longer.

Colony

Years

Day 2: The First Day of Real Classes

Night came and went, and before long the sun emerged. The time is around 8 a.m. and a brief screech echoes across the campus. "Good morning students," a cheerful female voice resounded over the PA system. "We hope you had an exciting first day, because there's more to come.

"Third-years and fourth-years, make some friends quick. You're going to be pit against the other grade in five-man teams across the week. Any less and you're at a disadvantage unless you can... even the score, before your assigned fight. It doesn't really matter how many elements you've mastered if you don't have a team.

"Second-years and first-years have their own battles to win this week. The sophomores are going to be the first contenders in our Duo Duels, a tournament that tests how well you can work with others in a stressful environment, and the numbers increase as the year goes on until you're fighting an all-out war. Even the headmistress gets in on it a couple times a year.

The freshmen's turn will come over the weekend, since they're probably still battered from their entrance exams, heheh. All the freshmen classes will have demonstrations from older students and teachers about combining their elements. They'll have the rest of the week to get to know each other, and learn a few things in class.

"For everyone worried about school lunches, we have dedicated and studying chefs in charge of the cafeteria food. Don't be surprised to find a chocolate cake on the menu.

"That concludes the morning announcements. Enjoy homeroom.~"

*CLICK*

-----

It's the start of a new day! Your character's have a plethora of activities that they can do before class starts. Here are just a few:
  • Go eat breakfast in the cafeteria.
  • Have a jog around school grounds.
  • Take a nice swim in the rec center pool.
  • Practice some magic in the gym.
  • Interact with some fellow classmates.
  • Kick your classmates' collective butts.
  • Be lazy and sleep in.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
II.I :: Somewhere on Campus
"G'Morning Satan"
Alma Sophia Jones
The Raging Tempest

Spells: Wind Shield, Tailwind, Stress Ball

A.J.

A.J. folded her card key into her wallet as she held the door to her dorm room open. "See you tomorrow, Vance," she said in a somewhat exhausted tone. She had spent the whole day exploring the grounds with Vance, and it had gotten pretty late before she had bothered to check the time. Was there a curfew? Probably. Well, if she had broken it, then oops. Too late for regrets, she supposed.

"'Night," Vance responded as he turned to go and find his own room.

Despite the fact that she was probably up later than she should have been, A.J. was content with the day. She had decided that she liked this school, or at least the physical aspect of it. It was pretty. She couldn't yet say if she liked the people or the teaching methods, but at least it was appealing to the eye if nothing else. She was pretty sure that she now had a decent picture of the layout of the school, as well, which could prove to be advantageous over some of the other Freshman.

She stepped into her room, closed the door, and dropped down onto the bed, not even bothering to change her clothes before she drifted off to sleep.

♋♋♋♋♋

As the sun shone through the window and disturbed Alma's slumber, she rubbed the sleep from her eyes. She sat up with a yawn and took a look in the mirror. Her hair was a mess, but she looked fine other than that. She got up, picked out some clothes for the day, showered, and readied herself for her second day of magic school.

She had the urge to say something like "Hogwarts, here I come!" but this school was no Hogwarts. It was too modern. And boring. That was a little disappointing, but there wasn't much she could do about it. She would just have to make the best with what she was given.

Right now she kind of felt like annoying some random students with a bit of wind.

She stepped outside and sat on a ledge near some trees on a hill. As some other students walked by below her, she would stir up random gusts of wind and send papers flying and ruin some hairdos. She mad sure to ruin the hairdos that looked like the person that they belonged to had spent hours perfecting them.

In other words, she was Satan this fine morning. She couldn't help but giggle as she watched the faces of some tortured souls seek out the source of the random gusts of wind. No one noticed her from her perch. No one other than Vance, at least, who walked up to her with a good idea of what she was up to.

"Ruining some days already?" he asked.

Alma smiled, biting her lower lip. "Yes," she said with a wry laugh.

Vance took a seat next to her and shared in her amusement.

A.J. decided that today was going to be a good day.

siiadams

Years
Jason Barrett

The torturous tones of the alarm clock that was set finally invaded Jason's eardrums and roused him from his slumber. As if he was in slow-motion, he rolled over and smacked the alarm clock buttons until it stopped the noise. He slowly sat up in bed, yawning and stretching, as the morning announcement played over the speakers. Jason was too far gone to pay attention to its message, though, so he ignored it and headed to the shower to wake up.

Soon enough, he was fully cleaned, dressed, and ready for his real first day! He grabbed his bag of supplies and headed out of the dorm and towards the building. Along the way, he saw a few students get papers and their hair blown around by a seemingly-random pattern of wind gusts. "No doubt some pranksters," he thought, shaking his head, "You can't go anywhere without meeting at least one." He avoided the tree and, upon entering the building, headed straight for the cafeteria. Thankfully he remembered where it was.

There didn't seem to be very many students inside, which kinda surprised Jason a bit, but soon saw the upside to this: "Well, I won't have to wait long for my breakfast, at least," he thought, smiling as he felt his stomach rumbling in response. He got in line and soon came out with a small breakfast tray consisting of bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, and a big glass of OJ. He went to the furthest table and sat in the corner where he could see everything around him while he ate. He slowly chewed his eggs as his mind started to wonder about what he'd do today in class.

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
Years
Yukio "Yuki" Higashi
(Cafeteria)

Yukio had slept soundly last night she awoke with the sun laughing from a pleasant dream. When she opened her eyes however, her mood plummeted. She wasn't at home as she was in the dream, she was at the Academy.

Now, she frowned into the mirror of her room's vanity and brushed her hair. The black strands slowly became smooth and shiny as she patiently coursed the brush through them. Her shower this morning had been awkward and thanks to her early waking she managed to snag a shower while it was empty, or if someone was there, she didn't notice them. That thought was a little scary and brought a shudder chilling down her spine. She brushed the thoughts from her head and placed the brush on the vanity's counter. From the draw she retrieved her hair ribbons, these ones mute gold in color. She fashioned her hair into two pony tails and laced them with the golden lengths of ribbon. Her hair was fashioned in the same way it was yesterday, and the day before when she was home. She felt she had too much hair to do anything else with it. The ponytails weren't that big for fear they'd look big and goofy if she put the entirety of her hair into two pigtails. Instead, the ponytails flanked her head and the rest of her hair rain down in a river of black down to her lower back.

She stood and pushed in the drawer before checking out her outfit. A loose white cotton blouse and a skirt of mute gold fabric -- the same as her hair ribbons -- followed by white stockings and dress shoes. Yukio smiled at her reflection and nodded, satisfied with her outfit and her looks for the day. However, the voice that suddenly overtook the air around her through the school's PA system caused her to jump in fright and suddenly she was reminded that she hadn't attended the first classes from yesterday. She assured herself that they were just introductory classes and that she missed nothing important yet she couldn't shake the feeling of guilt that overcame her. Yukio pursed her lips and went for the door, breakfast would be needed and her stomach begged for it and her mind ached with the curiosity of what the cafeteria had in store for her.

Yukio crossed the campus briskly, waving to those that greeted her first and smiled to those that didn't. There were a lot of people around now, it wasn't hard to separate the seniors and juniors from the sophomores and freshmen. They were all confident and walked with an air of superiority. Not of arrogance but they knew what they were doing and where they were going. She became subconscious of the thought that she may look like a complete and utter newbie compared to them. She had no idea where she was going but the perking of a voice announcing they were hungry urged her to follow a party of people to the cafeteria.

The cafeteria hadn't been as filled as she had thought it would be. The line was short and a couple more people wasn't much of a wait. She filed into line behind the group of seniors whom she followed and waited for her turn to come up.

The smell of food was heavenly and foreign, all different smells of what she was used too. She gazed at the amount of food is disbelief. There was a large variety to choose from but one particular food caught her interest. It looked like a not yet finished okonomiyaki, the base was there of a flat cake-like saucer but it wasn't topped with anything. Yukio was confused but seeing as it was the only food that looked vaguely familiar she requested it and two of them were placed on her tray. Moving further down the line she acquired vegetables and fruits along with her dry stack of unfinished okonomiyaki.

Last edited:

Sephear

Years
After a fierce (and of course his first) fight Jack was not inclined to wake up any kind of early, and so it was only when a loud announcement echoed across the campus that his eyelids floated upwards. He sat up, stretched and looked around before stiffening a bit. Ugh I slept in my clothes last night. Jack dug through the main pocket of his biggest travel bag and went into the bathroom to shower without checking if Zane was awake yet. He started to sing an old song his dad always used to like. "Bongo bongo bongo I don't wanna leave the congo." But he stopped himself, besides the fact that Zane or someone else might hear him it felt like a rather silly song for someone his age to be singing, but it jumped into his head out of nowhere and got stuck. Jack came out wearing a long-sleeved gray polyester buttoned shirt with thin darker gray stripes crisscrossing horizontally and vertically across it, a pair of black jeans and some regular white socks before tossing the previous day's clothing into a hamper and slipping on his shoes. His hair was combed as best he could, but for the next few hours it would be curlier than it normally was like any other time it dried from being wet, but it didn't look bad, just different.

Jack almost shook Zane a bit to make sure he woke up, but on second thought he decided the Luxomancer could wake up on his own, it would be pretty ironic if a manipulator of light habitually slept in. He could always come back and check the room if he didn't see Zane at breakfast at all. He was impressed by the grandeur of the dorms again on his way out, they really didn't hold back on the dorms, it brought to mind the question of where they got their funding. During his stroll through the campus to find the cafeteria he was waylaid by a fairly strong wind that blew his already hard to control hair into a nonsensical level of curliness. It had come out of nowhere so suddenly and was just right to mess up his hair without knocking him over so he couldn't help looking around, after all they were at a school for magic users. It didn't take long to spot the girl laughing to her friend up on a hill and occasionally making small gestures, the wind sure didn't seem to bother her.

With his target acquired he walked a bit further away from the hill until he was out of the wind the girl seemed to be making and almost out of sight. When he felt he was at a good place he knelt down and pulled a small amount of iron and a few other minerals out of the ground and formed them into an ornate looking steel-toothed comb of sorts. He fiddled with the comb until his hair felt under control again and peeked back towards the girl and her friend, they were still there. The odds were plenty good that they either wouldn't care or would think someone was trying to kill them or very clumsy, but he was satisfied with his decision. Jack waited till the girl was looking at an angle too far from him to see him through her peripherals at that distance and hefted the comb like it was a spear before throwing it. He guided the comb as well as speeding it up with his ferrokinesis until the handle stabbed like a knife into the tree closest to her and turned casually to continue on his merry way.

Hopefully Jack had given the girl a decent scare but not one too bad, hell if she had any interest in it she could just keep the comb, it's colors weren't quite uniform considering the mixture of uniform but that could be a positive or a negative and overall it was pretty piece of metal. Come to think of it he hoped she did use the comb, he of course hadn't at any point been close enough to see her face clearly, but she had an absolutely beautiful head of hair, all the better that it was red.

After another minute or so of walking Jack asked a random passerby about the Cafeteria and found it in no time. He couldn't help looking around almost in awe, like everything else at Vale the cafeteria was big, beautiful, and expensive looking. He didn't have to wait in line long, but even if he had he wouldn't have noticed. He was occupying himself by flipping his favorite silver dollar in one hand, and using very small bursts of Ferrokinesis to make sure it landed on heads every time, but subtle enough that nobody could tell unless they already knew what his abilities were. The bit of not being noticeable was just a coincidence, but he had fun with it. When it was Jack's turn his eyes may as well have sparkled at the array of food he could choose from for how excited he looked. Oh my goodness... I would go to this school even if it was a boring regular school with a tuition for food like this, it seems like they have just about everything.

He ended up choosing a large helping of scrambled eggs with melted cheese, some toast and a bagel sliced in half with cream cheese spread on it's inner sides. After settling on an empty table so as not to bother anyone the eggs and toast were wolfed down rather quickly and the bagel was eaten slowly and casually, the best part of the meal to relax. Jack thought to himself that breakfast and lunch were the best parts of any school day for socializing, and having basically missed the first day of school he was probably behind in that department if nothing else. Halfway through the second piece of bagel he started scanning the room and locked on rather quickly to a girl who definitely stood out. Between the way she was dressed, her long twin tails and the green eyes that were a startling contrast to her raven-black hair, she was unique. He couldn't tell for sure but from her eyes he'd wager she was Asian, although he disappointed himself by not being able to pick out her country of origin. Everything about her is odd, but not in a bad way, I bet she has some interesting things to say.

Jack figured if she didn't want to talk to anyone or his approach seemed rude he would just apologize and walk away, nobody could criticize him for knowing when to back off. He made his way over to the table the girl was seated at. "Excuse me, would you mind if I shared your table? I know there's plenty of empty ones right now but I'm used to conversing during meals myself."

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
Years
Yukio "Yuki" Higashi and Jack Marrick
(Cafeteria)

Yukio poked at her plate with a fork. A pancake..? she thought as she looked at the dry patty with quizzicality. It looks like an okokonomiyaki... a bad one at that. She sighed and cut a piece off with her fork before stabbing it and bringing it to her mouth. She chewed the small portion patiently, hoping some kind of flavor besides the butter would come from it. It's not bad she continued. She swallowed and followed the doughy cake with a green grape. The juices from the grape brought relief to her now dry mouth and three more green orbs followed.

Yukio quickly lost interest in the pancake and instead munched on her grapes, looking around to the cafeteria as it filled up with the many different people at Vale. Then, she had a fright at the voice of a boy inquring about a seat at her table. Yukio looked to the blond, curly haired boy with her bright green eyes shining in fright.

"I-I-I don't mind," she stammered before hastily gesturing to an empty seat.

"Thank you." Jack replied with his most gracious smile. "Breakfast is always a bit more interesting with someone to talk to." He set his tray of food down on the table before sliding himself into the seat across from Yukio. "My name is Jack, may I ask yours?"

"Yukio Higashi," she answered, bowing her head as taught. She took in the boys appearance: curly hair, green eyes darker than hers, and handsome features. "A pleasure to meet you, Jack." The boy's apperance had frightened her but it was welcome all the same: eating breakfast alone had proved to be a toll on her mind with the constant probing of home where being alone wasn't as troublesome.

He hadn't been sure before, some kind of Asian definitely but he couldn't place it until she bowed. He didn't want to be rude by hazarding a guess and being wrong, but he recognized the courteous bow easily. "I must admit I was curious about where you're from, is there any chance you are Japanese?" Jack inquired, happy to have a conversation starter.

"I am," she answered, putting another grape into her mouth and chewing quietly. Once swallowed, she continued: "I'm from southern Japan." Yukio then tilted her head, looking to the boy. "What about you? Are you American?" With the blond hair and green eyes, Jack possessed the traits that often recognized with Americans and Yukio hadn't been around many in her life.

"Yeah, born and raised. Although my mother is from England and my father's father was born in Germany." Jack realized he had been completely ignoring his food and took a bite of eggs and a bite of toast, making sure to swallow before he continued. "Vale is... amazing, I've already seen such impressive magic here. If I may ask, what type of magic do you use?" He finished, expectant curiosity almost twinkling in his eyes.

Ingurando to Doitsu... she thought, letting her head rest in her hands now. Yukio found her mind trailing off to wondering what it was like in those countries -- England and Germany -- and why someone would want to leave them. She had heard stories of both places, and only good things.

Yukio blinked as she processed Jack's question after what had been a small pause. "I'm an aeromancer," she replied, smiling slightly and sitting up straight again. "What about you?"

She'd seemed distracted for a moment, but Jack wouldn't be the one to point it out, he was well aware how easily his own mind wandered. "Nothing quite so interesting I'm afraid, I'm just a ferromancer." He answered making one of the forks spin above his index finger almost like someone might do with a basketball. "I get to manipulate almost exclusively man-made things, but I make due."

Yukio frowned at the lack of Jack's enthusiasm in his element... if you could call it that. Ferromancing seemed so restricting to her. With aeromancing the possiblities were endless with what you could do with it and the air was literally everywhere making resources infinite. "I'm sure, if you're creative the amount you could do with it is more than what meets the eye." She paused. "It's what we're here for isn't it? To master our elements?" She smiled kindly and took another grape from its vine, plopping it into her mouth and biting down.

Jack stared at his plate for a moment and it hit him that he had sounded a bit more down than he intended. "You're completely right there, there is a lot I can do with it, and I really like metal. I guess it just feels a bit mundane sometimes compared to controlling one of the main elements that makes up the natural world." He smiled back at her when she mentioned learning more about magic. "Yeah, and I really can't wait to learn some more about magic, after all we're lucky to be here." He closed his statement with another happy bite of food.

She nodded in agreement. "Extremely," she stressed. "I wouldn't have ever thought I'd come here, a school where all the students are as magically capable as I am. I thought my training would only come from my grandmother." Yukio sighed, thinking of her family again. "She knew a lot but not enough to prepare or teach me all there is to know. I didn't even know you could learn more than one element. I learned that the hard way." She looked up to him and smiled. "My initiation fight almost singed my hair off," she said, stifling a giggle. "Soren-senpai is adept at both fire and air and Bariolage, my shield, couldn't take the heat, literally." She chuckled at her pun. "Soren was strong. I just hope that's me one day."

He listened to Yukio's account of her grandmother being her teacher closely to begin with, but when she mentioned Soren Jack leaned forward in his seat. "That's an amazing coincidence, I only just learned someone could control multiple elements myself yesterday, and from watching that Soren girl in a fight no less. She was a bada - she was really tough. My fire battle was pretty hard too, I got shot through the stomach... and stabbed through my roommate's shoulder. It got pretty intense, I'm glad Vale has people with healing magic or we would have both been out of it for a long time." He paused and poked his chin. "Come to think of it, I hope they have weaving or sowing spells too, my favorite shirt got completely wrecked in that sparring match." He finished with a light laugh of his own.

Yukio found herself laughing along with Jack. She had to stop herself with food so, she bit into her apple with a crisp crunch. "I don't think those kinds of spells exist, unfortunately," she said with a smile. "Is your shirt completely ruined? I could give it a look; my grandmother taught me some things about sewing."

"That would be great, I really like that shirt, I've always liked plaid." He looked at Yukio for a second and was reminded about part of why he found her interesting in the first place. "Speaking of which, your clothes look very well and deliberately made, are they from your home?"

"Thank you," Yukio said with an awkward smile, glancing over her outfit. "The blouse was made by my mother," she said, tugging on the fabric. "The skirt isn't, it's store bought but it's from Japan too."

"Nice. It looks good on you, your whole ensemble fits together really well. I mean I'm not all that knowledgable about fashion but it looks good." He added, finishing up his food at last and wiping his face with a napkin.

Last edited:

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Violett Feurst-Shaw

Her eyes opened.

Woken by the cacophony of loud noises that flooded past her ears, an unsubtle blend of her alarm clock's shriek, the cawing of a black bird, and the sounds of clumsy movement from just beside her bed, a young woman by the name of Violett stirred from her slumber. A sigh fell past her soft lips as her eyes adjusted to the morning light, an irritatingly bright gleam that she found only just bearable. Violett moved her head, trying to find some respite and hopefully a few more minutes of rest, but all it managed to do was spur her from her sleepy state even faster. Eventually she tried to move her arms, fighting the ache that came as her limbs protested, but by force of will she managed to throw the duvet cover off of herself, stretching her arms and legs as she lay flat upon the bed.

She glanced over to her bed-side table, focusing her vision on the tiny clock resting atop it. Red digital numbers flashed across the device, wailing like a startled infant and only silenced when Violett's arm swung around, striking the snooze button with force. Finally she took note of the time; it read at 6:02am, just enough time for Violett to prepare herself if she were quick. As long as nothing stood between her and perfection, something that had not happened a single time in her life, then Violett's first impression to her new classmates would be impeccable. This, to her, was vital.

Violett had forgotten that she was no longer shackled up in her own room in her family's house. This new home of hers, the Vale Institute of Magic, was a terrifying place that was brimming with magical energy. Violett could almost taste it. It was a magnificent building, that she could not deny, and her lodgings in the Phoenix' Nest were immaculate. Strange, yes, but she had very little to complain about. She swung her legs over the edge of the bed, her toes gently touching the soft, scarlet red carpet. Violett sat up, spying the figure of another girl on the other side of the room through the black locks of hair that fell down her face. As much as she would have liked to have her own room, Violett had a roommate.

She was a pretty girl too with long auburn hair and large blue eyes. Although Violett had teasingly referred to the other girl under her breath as competition, she had made sure that the introduction to her new roommate had been nothing but smiles and compliments. She believed her tactic to have worked as, when the other girl turned to see Violett dragging herself out of bed, she smiled at her. They had exchanged names the evening before but Violett had scarcely been listening and so could not remember it. She thought that it might have started with an E. The other girl groaned, yawned, and stretched just afterwards as she made her way off of her bed, actions which Violett couldn't help but mimic.

Eventually Violett pushed herself up from her new bed, stretching one last time before her feet dragged her in the direction of the room's bathroom, her hands clutching her clothes for the day. The door was quickly locked by Violett the moment she stepped inside, followed by the sounds of the girl calling to her. "Don't be too long or we'll both be late!"

Violett couldn't help but be reminded of her mother. She paid the words little heed though, perfectly willing to spend as long as it took her in the tiny bathroom. In the corner of the white tiled bathroom she had settled a few mirrors, angled to give her a perfect view of herself to apply make-up and fix her hair; she looked as if she had been dragged through a hedge. Violett, no matter how rushed she might be, was not going to ruin this one and only chance of making a good impression on her new classmates. More importantly, Violett was going to fix her raven hair. She spent some time analysing herself in the mirrors she had organised, quickly checking for any fresh blemishes she might have developed over the night. Thankfully she found none, blowing herself a kiss in the mirror as she pulled out a fresh towel to use.

"Hey," called Violett's roommate once more, knocking once on the door. "Did you hear me?"

Turning the handle of the shower and testing the temperature, making sure that it was almost scalding hot, Violett kept her lips sealed. She let the other girl's knocking, which happened another two times, be drowned out by the pleasant sounds of running water as it fell and hit the base of the shower. The room quickly began to fill up with steam, fogging up the mirrors and warming Violett's skin. She spent a moment to strip herself of clothes, tossing her pyjama top to the side and kicking the bottoms from her long legs. Violett gently stepped into the shower shortly after, revelling in the feeling of hot water against her skin.

Almost an hour later, Violett stumbled out from the steam-filled bathroom and back into the main room of her new lodgings. She had spent her time well, she thought, and was perfectly prepared for the day ahead of her. Her hair had been washed, brushed, and styled to perfection, a softly curled bob which made best use of Violett's short hair. Her pyjamas had been replaced with a tight fitting pair of black jeans and a darker pair of black leather boots which came up to her knees, each with a shallow heel that gave Violett an extra inch and a half of height. She wore a white blouse, a few buttons near the collar undone, and a jet black pea coat over that which clung to her curves. Even Violett's make-up had already been applied, mostly subtle touches and natural colours to accentuate her features but most notably the pale violet coloured lipstick that she was so fond of.

Violett was almost tackled by her roommate who pushed past her, slammed the door shut, and immediately ran her own shower. Rightly so, Violett thought. She was going to be late for classes if she didn't hurry up. A smirk ran across her lips as it so often did, fiddling with the zip of her coat and pulling it up tight.

Quickly she gathered her things; school supplies that she had put neatly into her black satchel the night before, slinging the strap over her shoulder and pinning the case between her arm and her torso. Classes would not start yet, of course, but Violett would much rather have her things with her if she ever set out which she planned to. Glancing at her watch, Violett turned on her heel and moved towards the door of her room. She looked over her shoulder as she turned the handle.

"See you at breakfast, hon!" she called to her roommate. "I'll save you a seat."

Violett appeared in the institute's cafeteria a few moments later, her heeled boots clapping against the floor and announcing her entrance. Her eyes lit up at the sights of the room the moment she stepped inside. People had flooded into the room, sitting down with their new friends and gossiping while feasting upon their breakfasts. Delightful looking food from fruits to cereals to cooked meats, all looking absolutely delicious. Violett licked her lips as she stepped further into the room towards the array of available food, intent on sating her appetite.

It was not an appetite for food, however. She selected herself a few pieces of fruit and a slice of toast lathered in honey before quickly examining the tables of students. She grinned, slowly sauntering up towards a table that had already been occupied by two people. One was a lanky man about Violett's age, thick blond hair spilling from his head, and the other was a black haired girl a little younger than both of them. They had intrigued her, if only because their conversation seemed rather quaint. Violett bit her lip lightly, locking eyes with the blond haired man as she walked up to them and pulled up a seat.

She sat herself down beside the boy, positioned so that she was facing the dark haired girl. "Hope you don't mind if I take a seat here," Violett said, smiling.​

Last edited:

Sephear

Years

Jack Marrick and Violett Feurst-Shaw: The game begins.

[h2][/h2]

Jack seemed to have made a good choice of table. Yukio was kind and definitely interesting, plus the offer to fix his favorite shirt didn't hurt either. He enjoyed talking to her and their idle chit-chat remained pleasant after he joined his food. He was about to bring up his curiosity on when breakfast time would be over when he heard tons of gasps and a bunch of muttering. It didn't take long to find the source of the disturbance, what had to be one of the most beautiful girls anybody there had ever seen strode into the cafeteria like she owned the place, somehow managing to make it seem accurate instead of arrogant. Every movement she made seemed measured to accentuate the rest of her as much as possible, people's eyes followed her all the way to the food line. Of course the real upset came when, instead of choosing her own table where people would surely flock to right away, she sauntered right up to their table and sat down right next to Jack.

He had no idea just why the girl had chosen their table but others must have thought something of it because he could feel angry and jealous stares burning into him from all throughout the cafeteria. Jack grew a bit self-conscious at all the looks and scooted away from the girl a bit both to give her room and to hopefully allay some of the jealousy directed at him. Violett, however, shimmied her chair just a little closer to Jack's to make up the difference. Awkwardly, Jack spoke. "Well, I certainly don't mind if Yukio doesn't. The more the merrier, I'm Jack, it's nice to meet you." His voice faltered for what felt like the first time in years for a moment at the end, but he still managed to sound pleasant and welcoming.

Violett smiled sweetly in response, holding out her hand to shake, although she performed the act with an elegance that made it look more as if she expected the boy beside her to kiss it instead. She glanced to the girl by the name of Yukio for only a second, giving the slightest nod of acknowledgement before focusing her undivided attentions back on Jack. She opened her lips to speak again.

"Violett Feurst-Shaw," she said, introducing herself to the party of two. Her accent was drawn out, accentuating every word with a flare caught half way between French and German, designed to intrigue and hopefully entice. Violett never broke eye contact with Jack, dark eyes locked with his. "A pleasure to meet such a handsome man, I'm sure."

Despite how much he enjoyed merely the sight of the creature in front of him, Jack couldn't help noticing that every single word Violett made seemed measured and thought out, much as her entrance had been. The way she sat next to him and seemed to direct her full focus on him, rather than be equally open to both himself and Yukio... What had he done to garner such a girl's attention? The way she put her hand out reminded him of men and women meeting in more formal scenes and he thought of kissing her hand for a moment like he'd seen but the whole thing wasn't quite what he'd call a fitting situation. He didn't need any more ire from the peanut gallery.

Jack took Violett's hand in his own and dipped his head in a slightly more formal gesture than a simple handshake. He still chose to forego kissing it. "The pleasure is all mine, your name suits you to a tee." He noticed he hadn't let go of her hand while speaking and let it slide out of his own grip. "I must say I'm not sure what brings such a beautiful girl to me of all places, I would expect you to be surrounded by a group of admirers somewhere right now." He said with a flawless smile, actually meaning every word and not appealing to her ego.

Enjoying the formal response that she got from Jack, Violett smirked. She ran her tongue across her lips, never once looking away from the boy. What surprised her most was how flirtacious he was being, a rather welcome act as far as Violett was concerned. She had already recieved a comment on her appearance, hopefully the first complement of many, and she feigned a blush. His forwardness had thrown her off for a moment, that she wouldn't deny, but it was all part of a game that she loved to play. It had no rules and no end goal but was filled with all the thrills under the sun. Better yet, Jack was more willing to accept her teases than Violett had ever imagined. She would enjoy this.

"Well, I don't know a single person in this whole school and I know everyone else is in the same position as I am. So, I thought, why not introduce myself to a complete stranger?" Violett leaned in a little closer to Jack, her voice a little hushed. "You never know where one stranger might take you."

Jack almost inched away from Violett when she leaned in, he wasn't prepared for the proximity or the smell of coconuts and other enticing scents. He didn't quite get what her game was, but after a second it hit him. A beautiful girl was getting close to him, and seemed to even be flirting with him, why not enjoy it, maybe even have some fun? He moved in a bit closer himself, lowering his own voice. "True, all the best fun comes from 'happy accidents' and it seems I've hit the jackpot."

Violett struggled not to burst out giggling. She could tell almost instantly that he had called her bluff; or that he would do in a few moments. He would know that Violett was playing him, doing anything she could to keep herself entertained, but this made it far more interesting because Jack seemed perfectly willing to play along. Violett had grown accustomed to those she flirted with falling head over heels for the act and barely fighting back. This would test her, she thought.

Keeping her face only a few inches away from Jack's, Violett spoke again. "I'm honoured you think of me in such high regard. It's rare to find someone quite so charming so easily. I always knew I had an eye for people."

He had to admit, she was one tempting lady. Now that Jack had his confidence in the situation he was tempted to just ask her out instead of keeping up the game, but it would be pointless as well as rude to do something like that right in front of someone else. "And what gorgeous eyes they are." He finished truthfully.

'What a cheap shot', Violett thought. Not as if that were a bad thing. If she had heard the same comment in a situation that felt less forced she might have blushed but instead her mouth curled into a soft smile, her eyelashes fluttered, and her gaze deepened. "Usually when someone's quite so amorous with me it's not my eyes they're interested in."

Jack shrugged. "Any real man can appreciate all the beauty someone's got to offer, I quite like looking into a woman's eyes. After all women tend to have such beautiful eyes, and voices for that matter. People don't pay enough attention to the finer details, like full, luscious lips." He made sure to stare right at Violett's for emphasis, leaning in just a bit closer like it was a game of nervous.

Violett's hand raised, pressing a finger softly on Jack's lips. She never moved her own body though, keeping the distance between their faces as slim as before. "And what about me? Do my 'finer details' entice you at all?" Her voice kept low and seductive as it had done throughout most of the conversation.

The first physical contact, on the one hand it meant he had gotten to her a little bit, on the other she had basically just put him into check. Jack slowly wrapped two of his own fingers around Violett's resting the embrace for a moment before gently pulling it off of his lip. "Well of course they do, I am a man after all. But sadly we are in public and I am a gentleman, so I must reign in my baser instincts, however strongly they may object."

That was all Violett needed. As amusing as Jack had been, he wasn't going to break like some others that Violett knew. That was a rare quality, she thought, and Violett wasn't willing to waste something so precious in a single sitting. Her soft smile twisted into a grin, her hand moving to cup Jack's cheek with delicate fingers for a moment. Violett chuckled softly, nails running across Jack's skin ever so slightly as her hand fell back to her side.

Violett turned in her seat, focusing more on her food now than she did Jack. She began to peel open an orange, humming a quiet tune to herself as she did so, and with two fingers she pulled out a segment of her orange and popped it into her mouth.

"What?" she asked, glancing up to Yukio on the other side of the table.

It seemed like it was over for now, he wouldn't call it winning but he'd held fast, he had a feeling that was more than most men Violett had chosen could say. Jack turned back to his tray just to find it empty, and to be alerted by his jerk stomach that he wasn't full, even less so after that encounter. It was as good a time as any to at least sate one appetite, besides it would give the goosebumps that were beginning to form on his arms time to fade.

He made eye contact with Yukio and mouthed "I'm sorry." He had probably just made himself look like some philandering jerk, which was strange considering he couldn't remember ever really doing much of any flirting in his life before. He would have to apologize to Yukio later and hope she forgave him for acting that way. Until then food was the simplest solution, so he made his way back through the line for a grilled-cheese sandwich and returned to the table to finish breakfast properly, with a full stomach.

Last edited:

Impossiperiod

The Impossible Period
Years
Yukio "Yuki" Higashi
(Cafeteria » Campus)

Jack had proved to be interesting company and with the small talk and his accepting of Yukio's offer to sew and renew his favorite search, Yukio had thought she found a friend of the more polite alignment. The girl found joy in the conversation as they leapt from subject to subject on the smallest whims. She caught herself laughing too hard at puns and smiling too wide at unimportant stories. Still, it was nice to talk to someone, a friend.

However, the chattering of the cafeteria was interrupted by the gasps and eyes of many boys and girls as they fleeted to the cafeteria's doors that opened for a girl who's apparent beauty stunned all. Yukio, too, found herself watching the woman with eyes shining in curiosity and perhaps jealousy of the girl's admirers -- something Yukio knew, herself, wouldn't acquire due to her very average bodily features. All the aeromancer had going for her was her pretty face and round eyes with dulled in comparison to this immediate superstar of a girl.

Yukio followed the girl with her eyes, taking in her features and wishing them for herself. She forced herself to look away as the girl took her place in the lunch line; Yukio's eyes fell on Jack whose dark green orbs were seemingly entranced by the girl in the lunch line. There was a wave of self-consciousness that washed over Yukio and she let her eyes fall to her hands in her lap where they gripped one another stiffly.

The cluttering of a tray at her table caused her to look up to see the superstar of a girl at their table. Immediately Yukio's eyes went to Jack and watched as he scooted his chair away at the presence of the other girl only to have that girl scoot close to him once more. Jack spoke up, saying it was okay if Yukio herself didn't have a problem with it -- but she did yet she kept her voice reserved. Instead, she watched onward as the girl named Violett engaged the conversation with Jack. Violett's voice irked Yukio to an extreme and her flirtatious movements made Yukio's stomach knot and throat catch and she felt her own words disappear as her breath was held during Violett's intense leaning towards Jack.

Yukio knew her face probably resembled that of someone going to be sick and, in truth, she it. Her appetite had all but disappeared and her grapes seemed more like sour raisins and her apple, a rotten core, compared to how delicious they had been mere moments earlier. She felt small in the presence of Violett, both in ego and physical appearance.

It only grew worse as the conversation went on. Mention of Violett's 'finer details' turned her envy into anger and her hands balled into small fists. How she would kill to rip the air from the girl's lungs, if time and opportunity would allow. Yukio couldn't wrap her mind around why someone would intentionally flaunt their body around without shame. Where is her dignity! Yukio found herself shouting in her own mind. At that, she felt the air around her swirl as she tensed. Her own hair tossed up in the sudden gust but she stifled it with a sharp inhalation.

When Violett's attention turned towards her Yukio felt every muscle in her body turn rigid. Her eyes cutting from Violett to Jack as the boy mouthed his apology. Shove it Yukio replied mentally. Jack retrieved his tray and left the table, moving in the direction of the lunch line. Yukio took the moment to glower at Violett before standing, leaving her tray and moving towards the exit in heavy steps.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
Years

Sytano Morgan

"Hrm." Sytano kept his head stuffed- figuratively- into his pillow in amusement. There was no way to describe the softness of it- it was a kind of luxury he didn't expect from, well, a dorm. In fact, he felt already that this had become more of his room than his own- until the PA turned on. This was a rude awakening, reminding him that this was just as much his room as Kristen Vale's. There was the mention of battles, firstly. He gulped. He needed to learn some offensive techniques, quick- or he could forget about those. Flame Trace wasn't going to provide him with anything, and at the moment Searing Path was completely and utterly useless in battle unless he could use it in a craftier way than it was meant to be used. He kept his eyes closed in thought, until...

"Chocolate cake."

And at this Sytano's eyes snapped open. It was cake. Cakes were close enough to pastries. He licked his lips expectantly. Then, who was to say they didn't have any pastries for breakfast? Pastries for breakfast, pastries for lunch, pastries for DINNER! He held back the eventual watering of his mouth and tried to contain himself. He didn't doubt the possibility that the cafeteria would hold- dare he say it- a danish. Or three. Or fifteen. He rolled on his back, figuring that he had enough self-control to know when he was overdoing it. He quickly got out of his sheets and folded them neatly before getting out and showering; after which he grabbed a bathrobe and tightened it around his waist.

He brushed his teeth quickly, and changed with a great deal of speed, not worrying much about anything, except maybe checking out his new novel. He looked to the side for a moment. Do they have a library here? They must, I would've noticed. He averted his gaze back to putting on his socks, before observing himself quickly. He was somewhat self conscious- a plaid red, buttoned shirt, khaki cargo pants, and fluffy slip-- I mean, white socks adorned with brown shoes. For the first day? He would survive. The second day, maybe, the third he wasn't so sure, but for the first day of classes nothing could go wrong.

He threw a red bag with just a sling over his shoulder, knowing the most it was going to do was help him if he got books... or not. Regardless, he opened the door and walked towards the cafeteria, hoping to eat something... like danishes. Seriously. You can't go wrong with danishes. He took out the novel he had been reading expectantly. Animal Farm, George Orwell; he was slightly embarrassed to say it was his first time reading it since he was reminded so many times of how others had read it in their English classes later on, but then again it wasn't like it was a book for dummies either. He furrowed his brow as he looked up towards the rest of the cafeteria, bought a raspberry-cheese danish [excitedly] along with bacon and milk, and turned to measure the atmosphere.

There was an attraction of the eyes of everyone towards this one chick going towards a blond guy. Hey wait, screw the blond guy, HELLO ladies; the girl was undeniably attractive, yet... dangerous. In a hot way. Mostly in a psychological sense; there was no way he'd survive with someone like... her. Damn. The novel nearly slipped out of his hand before he tightened his grip. He looked around quickly- he couldn't sit where she was, he'd be speechless, tripping over his words maybe... he needed to get to know who this girl was outside of direct interaction before ever confronting her. He sat down in front of someone else instead.

He bit down into his danish quickly and ate what had gotten into his mouth, before looking up at who he was sitting in front of. Two people, in fact. The thing that first called him out, of course, was the female with the red hair and the three clawed scar... from what? He didn't pay much attention to the scar, though. Moreover, he paid more attention to his own mannerisms, which were probably out of place. She was with someone else, but this is who Sytano just happened to be in front of... "Pardon me, I just needed somewhere to sit... Is it alright if I stay here?"

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
II.II :: Cafeteria
"A Chance Encounter"
Alma Sophia Jones & Sytano Morgan
The Raging Tempest & The Blazing Storm

Spells:
Alma: Wind Shield, Tailwind, Stress Ball
Sytano: Combustion, Flame Trace, Searing Path

A.J. & Sytano

When AJ had become bored terrorizing random students with her wind powers, she had gone with Vance to get some food from the cafeteria.

The food seemed alright, she supposed. She had never really had "school" food, but it seemed better than the muggle media usually showed it to be. So that was a plus.

She had been mindlessly talking with Vance when a strange kid suddenly sat down at their table. It had taken her a moment to notice, but she seemed to notice before the kid had even realized it himself. She stared at him blankly, wondering why he was here.

A moment later he looked up at her, and she noticed that one of the first things he glanced at was her scar.

But that was okay, because that was what everyone noticed about her first. She was used to it, even if she wasn't particularly content with it.

"Pardon me, I just needed somewhere to sit . . . is it alright if I stay here?" Alma blinked, expressionless. She remained silent as she examined the newcomer for a moment, no doubt making him feel awkward. He was a young boy, looking to be about fifteen or sixteen, with long dark hair that seemed to get in his face a lot.

"You seem to have already asserted yourself," AJ stated dryly when she finally chose to speak.

". . . I suppose I have." Sytano shrugged. "Well . . . I didn't want to sit at the center of attention, so I decided to sit here instead, simply put. Sorry if I intruded on anything between you two." He bit into his danish once again. ". . ." He wasn't really a fan of awkward silence. "So . . . ," He was bad at this. Already. Should I just introduce myself? "I'm Sytano," he finally said. This was going downhill fast, and she had only said seven words.

"Sytano," AJ repeated, committing the name to memory. "An interesting name." She set down the cinnamon bun that she had been holding, deciding how she would handle this situation. "I suppose you can sit here. I don't really care either way." She shrugged, turning to Vance. He shook his head, agreeing with her.

"I'm Alma, by the way. Most people just call me AJ. This is Vance," she said, nodding her head towards her companion. "He talks sometimes. He mostly just sits there and stares, though."

Vance elbowed her, giving her an unamused look. "Sometimes I bite, though, so maybe I'm not the best one to talk to, or make fun of," Vance stated jokingly, albeit in a sort of monotone that made it difficult to decipher.

AJ chuckled a bit. "Anyways, what's your story?" she asked Sytano.

"Me?" He shrugged. "I'm just a pyromancer who enjoys reading. Besides that . . . well, I'm a sucker for wine, if that means anything to you. It's not like I could ever get my hands on it here, even if I wanted to." He glanced at both of them, and grinned. "Would I be wrong in saying that you two already know each other well?" He suddenly became curious, but held back any questions for the moment. It'd be weird to suddenly be asking questions at the beginning of a conversation, as if he meant to interrogate them.

"Wine?" Alma questioned, eyeing the boy. "Aren't you a little young to be having any taste for wine?" She took a bite of her cinnamon bun, looking over Sytano once more. "Or is it some weird pyromancer thing? Alcohol, I mean?" She turned to Vance, looking for an answer.

Vance shrugged. "It'd be a secret that I'm unaware of."

She turned back to Sytano. "Well then, I guess you're just a young connoisseur of a more refined taste. Or perhaps just a drunk. Either way, I've never really taken a liking to any sort of alcoholic beverage." She finished the last bite of her food, pausing the conversation for a brief moment. "As for your question," she continued, "yes, we've known each other for a while."

"Raised together, actually," Vance supplied.

"Yep, in a little magic village high in the sky," AJ proceeded sarcastically.

"More like in the mountains, but close enough."

"What about you? Where're you from?" Alma asked.

Sytano decided not to mention the more specific reason he liked wine, nor that he didn't like wine as a beverage, simply because she had already moved the conversation along already. "Well . . . I moved a few times, but generally I stayed in Oklahoma. Me and my grandparents were the only ones who could use magic, and my parents never stayed around long enough for me to learn how good or bad they were."

He became sullen all of a sudden, biting into his danish before continuing. "Apparently, down in the Vale record-books, my relatives were . . . relatively bad at magic, to be honest. I mean, I'd love to say that my magic is great and all, but even being raised by mancers none of my spells is entirely tailored to be used in battle, bar one of them."

"Oklahoma," Alma repeated, sounding slightly distant. "Never saw that musical," she blinked, returning her focus to Sytano. "Don't know much about the actual place. I also don't really know what it's like to grow up in a non-magical community. Being raised around so many muggles? That'd just be . . . strange. At least, I would think it would be strange. Is it strange?"

Vance cleared his throat, drawing Sytano's attention to him briefly. "She calls non-magical people 'muggles,' by the way. She read a lot of Harry Potter when we were younger."

"And I don't mean to brag," Alma continued, ignoring Vance, "but my magic is pretty great." She hesitated a moment before bursting into quiet laughter. "Who am I kidding? I do want to brag. But in all honesty, my magic is mediocre at best. It was me overestimating myself that got me this scar."

There was another moment of silence, but this one was more drawn out and full of tension. That's what usually happened when anyone, including Alma, voiced the presence of her scar. "So don't ever go overestimating yourself, kid."

Sytano found it interesting that she had that scar due to her own power . . . in a really scary way. ". . . Don't worry. I learned that the hard way . . . in a way. It was more carelessness, really. Although, at the same time, that's how I got here, by almost burning down a forest." He thought for a moment. "And why're you calling me kid?" He smirked.

Alma's lashes fluttered a bit, a slightly bewildered look in her eyes. "I dunno, I just do that. I figured you were younger than me. But wait, you nearly burned down a forest? Explain?"

He raised an eyebrow at the sudden interest. He had expected a more nonchalant response . . . he probably just assumed that everyone there had some backstory similar to his. "Well, it was an accident during training what I consider to be the best spell I have. During that accident, I set a tree on fire, and since it was dry season the fire spread fast. It wasn't major, but it ended up on the local news. It was—like I said—a matter of being careless. That's all."

"Oh." Alma said, taking the tale into her memory. "Good thing it didn't actually ignite anything too large, I suppose." Alma liked forests. A lot. She didn't like the idea of one burning down, which is what had caused her interest to become piqued. She was glad that Sytano had managed to not kill a wonderful vista, at least. "In my experiences . . . well, I've never burned down anything. I'm an aeromancer. Vance here is the pyro, but he's more interested in making pretty colors than actually burning anything."

Vance gave her a narrow-eyed look. She ignored him. "The most damage I've done? Well, actually, I've done a lot of damage, now that I think about it. Nothing burned, though. I don't think. I hope not." She turned to Vance, sifting through her memories. "Did I ever accidentally set anything on fire?"

Vance shook his head. "I think the worst you've done is kind of destroyed everything with some mini hurricanes." He answered. "A lot better than burning a tree," he finished, rolling his eyes.

"Good!" AJ turned back to Sytano. "See? Never burned anything." She sounded a little too pleased, considering she'd probably done worse than burn a few things.

"Well, you are an aeromancer." He shrugged. "I wouldn't expect you to burn anything down . . . but mini hurricanes?" Maybe he was being a bit too gullible, but . . . "That's . . . too insane. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that, so kudos. The most I can do is make flames appear, really. It's pretty disappointing. People were betting against me going unconscious during the entrance battle!"

He leaned back in his chair. "I won the bet, but . . . it's still a huge letdown. Perhaps you never burned anything, but . . . ," He chuckled. "It's likely you have more power than I do at the moment."

AJ shrugged. "They weren't all that impressive, really. All I really accomplished was uprooting a few . . . trees." Alma frowned. "Moving on," she said, trying to forget the trauma of the horrible treeslaughter that she had committed. "Doesn't people 'betting against you going unconscious' and you winning the bet mean you actually went unconscious? Nice."

"Urm . . . ," He shifted uncomfortably. "I actually meant it the other way around, pardon. As in, I was betting against myself going unconscious. I still lost the battle, but I won the bet because I didn't go unconscious." He didn't mention it hurting—he didn't want to look worse than his track record was already making him look.

"Oh. That's . . . good? You lost, but at least you stayed awake long enough to see yourself lose." Wait, was that rude? That was probably rude. Oops. She had already said it, though, so there wasn't any taking it back. "But a loss is still experience, at least. Many times we learn more from losses than from victories." Successful save for the win. Smooth, Alma. You're one smart chica. You got the—Alma shook her head slightly, turning off her awkward mental monologue. "My best lessons came from losses, anyways."

"Yeah, I suppose. It was fun after all. Pyromancer against pyromancer, and apparently—like so many others I've encountered—this one was special. Apparently her family's surname is part of the cream of the crop. Of course, if she's the cream, I'm probably the dirt, but I suppose this doesn't really bother me much." He shrugged. "Although being dirt isn't a blessing, but . . . I can probably practice my way up."

"I guess being dirt would only be a blessing for a geomancer," AJ responded. She looked around, glancing back at the food line. "Now I want ice cream. Do you think they serve ice cream for breakfast?" She sat there, pondering this deep question. "Mmm, probably not. Oh well." She turned back to Sytano. "If you want, we could spar sometime. Could be good practice. It might be nice to see a pyromancer that doesn't just toss rainbows at me."

"I do not just toss rainbows!" Vance stated indignantly.

"Sure you don't, dear. Sure you don't." She patted Vance on the shoulder, jokingly pretending to console him. "So how 'bout it, Sytano? Sy? Tano? Syta? Ytano? You know, you have a fun name to play around with."

Tossing . . . rainbows? "Actually . . . sure!" He smiled. "Gladly. Part of me wants to say that I should learn other spells before sparring with you, but what's the worse that could happen? Anytime you'd like." He then thought for a moment about the flexibility of his name and the exploitation of said flexibility . . . interesting. ". . . Out of all of those, I think I like Syta the best, to be honest."

"Syta it is, then!" Alma said, clasping her hands together somewhat excitedly. "We could spar now, I suppose, but it might be better to wait until this afternoon? You think so?"

Sytano grinned. The excitement was contagious. "Yeah, that might be the better choice. Since we're supposed to eventually have battles in the afternoon—I think—we might as well make it a habit for battles to take place then, right?"

"Right!" AJ agreed, rising to her feet. "So then, meet at the fields after class?"

"Yup! For sure!" Sytano grinned.

"'Kay then, we'll be seeing you later." AJ waved good-bye as she turned to leave, dragging Vance behind her.

Sytano stretched and simply opened his novel where he left off, making sure he didn't bump into anyone and smiling, even though the grim mood of the book opposed his liveliness.

siiadams

Years
Jason Barrett

Jason finally finished his breakfast because of the distractions around him. He watched a small melodrama play out in front of him a couple of tables away. A japanese girl was sitting alone when a guy decided to sit with her. They were talking until some girl who enjoyed the attention of gawking guys made her way to the same table and started flirting with the guy, who then proceeded to flirt back. This angered the japanese girl, who almost seemed to storm out because of this. He hated to see someone get their feelings hurt from someone being so insensitive. Something inside told him to talk to the girl and see if he could help. However, his instinct told him to hold back and just see what happens. For now, though, he simply threw away his trash and passed by the "couple" as he walked out of the room.

Apparently it wasn't time for classes as Jason saw different students just milling about and talking to one another. With nothing else to do, maybe it was time to practice his skills. He quickly headed to the rec room and immediately noticed that it seemed empty. He headed to the neutral field within and set up a small target range for himself. He stood as far away as he could and conjured up his throwing star. Taking his time, he lined up his throws and worked on hitting the bullseye before he decided to increase the speed of his throws. He would continue this until interrupted by something, whether it be a classmate or an announcement for classes to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back