• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vegetarianism

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    A vegetarian person is someone who practices a plant-based diet that includes fruits, vegetables, seeds, etc.. and stays away from meat products. People often follow this 'practice' for health, religious, environmental, or cultural reasons.

If you are not one, do you support it and do you sometimes consider being one yourself?

And if you are a vegetarian, how does it feel? And what reasons made you become one?

Discuss.

Years
  • Negative. I enjoy eating vegetarian food, but not for all the time. Most of the vegetarian dishes are not sated and those dishes, which are sated, are quite expensive to make, though. I have to eat inexpensively, because I'm not rich.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    No. Humans are Omnivores. We evolved to eat meat, vegetation and fungus which allowed us to reach where we are now. Our herbivorous ancestors are extinct for a reason: We are better.

I do not feel bad about eating animals in any way. If you are a vegetarian/vegan, I ask you; Do you have cat or dog? If so do you feed them dog/cat food? If yes, then how come you have no problem feeding them meat? We are supposed to eat meat just as much as they are.

Besides, if I was a vegetarian I wouldn't survive. Not without bacon.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Hmm...interesting topic.

I used to be a vegetarian for 13 years, because of my family and religion. It felt kind of normal to me. I didn't feel any more special just because I was one, although other people used to ask me how could someone be a vegetarian.

Chad -

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    No. Humans are Omnivores. We evolved to eat meat, vegetation and fungus which allowed us to reach where we are now. Our herbivorous ancestors are extinct for a reason: We are better.

I do not feel bad about eating animals in any way. If you are a vegetarian/vegan, I ask you; Do you have cat or dog? If so do you feed them dog/cat food? If yes, then how come you have no problem feeding them meat? We are supposed to eat meat just as much as they are.

Besides, if I was a vegetarian I wouldn't survive. Not without bacon.

True. And I'm not a vegetarian and I don't have a cat/dog, that is if you're addressing me. This is a random discussion about a certain 'practice', by the way, so feel free to post your opinions and views.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Is it bad that I got a laugh out of the fact that I was eating some leftover chicken as I found this thread? XD

Obviously, I'm not a vegetarian, and I do tend to think negatively on people who try to 'convert' regular omnivorous people to vegetarianism. It's a noble effort to try and prevent animal suffering, but the majority of slaughterhouses nowadays do terminate my steaks humanely. :P

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    It is against human nature to be strictly vegetarian. It is also unhealthy. Vegetarians are commonly lacking in essential proteins and amino acids that come from meat.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    i was a vegan for four years then quit altogether somewhat recently because it's a failed statement and a pseudo-philosophy. the issue lies where animals are being treated on farms, and boycotting meat isn't addressing the cruelty these animals undergo, it's just wasting the meat that fuels our economy. there's nothing unethical, in my mind, about consuming meat (though i can see the discomfort), it's a part of nature "circle of life" etc, but to treat these animals like merely food instead of invaluable individuals, to imprison them in confined spaces in their own filth for their entire lives and separate them from their young, is wicked and inhumane. the morality of it all has a lot of grey areas and every once in awhile i'll argue with myself about it, but that's my general viewpoint.

It is against human nature to be strictly vegetarian. It is also unhealthy. Vegetarians are commonly lacking in essential proteins and amino acids that come from meat.
    there are plenty of alternatives

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    How is it against human nature? Humans evolved to eat both, whatever they found. They can also live off of meat or plants. Mainly plants since they evolved to eat them first. Vegetarians are not lacking in essential proteins and such, as far as I know I was the strongest and healthiest when then my whole boxing and wrestling team. There are many other alternatives.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    How is it against human nature? Humans evolved to eat both, whatever they found. They can also live off of meat or plants. Mainly plants since they evolved to eat them first. Vegetarians are not lacking in essential proteins and such, as far as I know I was the strongest and healthiest when then my whole boxing and wrestling team. There are many other alternatives.

It is not human nature to be an herbivore, it is human nature to be an omnivore. An omnivore eats both meat and plants.

Zet

Years
  • Vegetarians are horrible people, they're killing the planet faster than omnivores.

I don't care what a person is. If they choose to become a vegetarian, then that's fine by me seeing as how they have to eat more to get the proteins and crap that meat gives.

shot571

Just to point out. I dont think they lack essential amino acids its just harder to get them. You need a bigger variety of food. As far as I can remember from my science lesson a few months back. And I dont mind eating meat....I just dont like killing the animals although I am mainly a meat eater so that may sound a bit strange.Obviously though since I'm muslim I get it halal so its done pretty humanely.

Zet

Years
  • Just to point out. I dont think they lack essential amino acids its just harder to get them. You need a bigger variety of food. As far as I can remember from my science lesson a few months back. And I dont mind eating meat....I just dont like killing the animals although I am mainly a meat eater so that may sound a bit strange.Obviously though since I'm muslim I get it halal so its done pretty humanely.
    If it makes you feel better, their death is fast and painless.

no just no, if you're a vegetablrian you could consider yourself dead to me. we are humans therefore i assume we are all supposed to be omnivores, we need essential proteins that come from meat. do you believe that you'll remembner to take your protien pills every day? or are youg oing to live off of peanuts maybe idk but im not interested, especially if they're unsalted. for a human to live, he needs meat AND lettuce, both of which omnivores not vegertarians eat. do you see my point? we eat meat and are not meant for just lettuce soley. sure who doesnt enjoy a good taco but guess what? on that taco is both lettuce and greasy fattening essential beef that is full of proein and tastes better than an unsalted nut or a horse pill that you may or may not forget to take one day. what of thaT? well you could die from malnutrition, that's what of that.

think twice before trying to save yur friendly neighborhood cow. you might just save your own life.
    As mentioned before vegetarians have to eat a large amount of food to get the right amount of proteins and crap.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    It is not human nature to be an herbivore, it is human nature to be an omnivore. An omnivore eats both meat and plants.
    Yes I know. But did you also know that they have the choice to eat meat or plants? Humans evolved in an environment where they were scavengers, therefore they ate meat whenever they came across it. But then they slowly became hunters, when that happened they ate meat. But some of the human species adapted by eating more plants then meat. My point is you can't say its human nature to eat meat. :/

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • lol imagine if all of the vegatarians were fatter than the meat eaetrs and all they were eating is green garbage xD

LOLirony

I went vegan for a few months just to lose some weight. guess what, simply by not eating meat and doing my normal routine, i lost 5 lbs within a months time. I'd imagine i would have lost a bit more if i did exercises as well \lazy\

Im surprised at some of the opinions of the members on vegans though, its not a lifestyle to condemn/to look down upon. its a choice most of the time, and a damn good healthy choice at that.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    True. And I'm not a vegetarian and I don't have a cat/dog, that is if you're addressing me. This is a random discussion about a certain 'practice', by the way, so feel free to post your opinions and views.

I wasn't specifically addressing you, it was more a sort of... general accusation.

[EDIT]

LOLirony

I went vegan for a few months just to lose some weight. guess what, simply by not eating meat and doing my normal routine, i lost 5 lbs within a months time. I'd imagine i would have lost a bit more if i did exercises as well \lazy\

Im surprised at some of the opinions of the members on vegans though, its not a lifestyle to condemn/to look down upon. its a choice most of the time, and a damn good healthy choice at that.

Uh... hate to break it to you, but veganism is not really a "damn good healthy choice". Assuming you hadn't changed your dietary habits other than cutting out meat/dairy/eggs/anything else that comes from animals, then you were probably not getting enough Calcium, due to you not consuming any dairy (especially if you are still growing), Protein from not eating any meat (unless you ate a Lo-HOT of nuts) and probably some other things that my brain can't think of at 1:30 in the morning.

tl;dr

You need to eat quite a lot more to have a healthy diet if you are a vegan.
    It'd be easier just to cut out fatty foods. Not that you don't need to eat fat anyway.
    And if you don't mind possibly gaining weight, but getting fitter and healthier then just more/better exercise.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Rapid weight loss =/= Healthy

Anorexics, bulimics, and people who are infected with parasites also lose weight rather quickly. Would anyone say that they are healthy?

Years
  • Just to point out. I dont think they lack essential amino acids its just harder to get them. You need a bigger variety of food. As far as I can remember from my science lesson a few months back. And I dont mind eating meat....I just dont like killing the animals although I am mainly a meat eater so that may sound a bit strange.Obviously though since I'm muslim I get it halal so its done pretty humanely.

You can get protein and the amino acids present in meat from other places, but, not in sufficient levels to meet the bodies demand. you can get protein from nuts, eggs, etc, but no where near the levels from beef, Pork, fish or poultry

Humans evolved as omnivores, eating meat and plants. Always have always will. If you want to go ahead and become vegetarian/Vegan go right ahead. ^_^ i will continue to enjoy steak and cheeseburgers.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
  • Uh... hate to break it to you, but veganism is not really a "damn good healthy choice". Assuming you hadn't changed your dietary habits other than cutting out meat/dairy/eggs/anything else that comes from animals, then you were probably not getting enough Calcium, due to you not consuming any dairy (especially if you are still growing), Protein from not eating any meat (unless you ate a Lo-HOT of nuts) and probably some other things that my brain can't think of at 1:30 in the morning.

tl;dr

You need to eat quite a lot more to have a healthy diet if you are a vegan.
    It'd be easier just to cut out fatty foods. Not that you don't need to eat fat anyway.
    And if you don't mind possibly gaining weight, but getting fitter and healthier then just more/better exercise.

see, that's the thing, there are plenty of subsitutes that provide the same coverage of nutrients. Soy beans...and well beans in general provide more than enough proteins and amino acids...without the fat involved like in all meats. calcium is available through cereals and soy milk.

And eating more? not really. you eat just enough to stay satisfied. that's what most people don't even understand yet, proportions of food meals. have you heard your parents tell you to eat everything on your plate? did you know that one plateful, given the size of the plate is like 9in or whichever the general standard is, filled with food can actually feed two people.

the whole reason why most americans are fat isn't wholly because of the diets they eat, it is because they are ignorant of proportions on their plates. People eat to get stuffed and bloated, but don't realize that people need to eat just enough to stay alive and energetic after a meal. but that's beside the point \rant\

Rapid weight loss =/= Healthy

Anorexics, bulimics, and people who are infected with parasites also lose weight rather quickly. Would anyone say that they are healthy?

[out of context]fyi; those are eating disorders and usually tied in with today's culture, but i really don't know why your bringing that up in the first place. rapid weight loss usually means that something is WRONG within a person's body, and parasites aren't usually a good sign altogether

You can get protein and the amino acids present in meat from other places, but, not in sufficient levels to meet the bodies demand. you can get protein from nuts, eggs, etc, but no where near the levels from beef, Pork, fish or poultry

Humans evolved as omnivores, eating meat and plants. Always have always will. If you want to go ahead and become vegetarian/Vegan go right ahead. ^_^ i will continue to enjoy steak and cheeseburgers.

Yes, you do get more proteins and such from meats but you also get the lovely bonus of fat as well, i do know that fat is beneficial towards a human body, but not in ridiculous amounts. and some meats, like sausages and [vomits] hot dogs are actually higher in fat than they are in proteins. *shudders*

you wouldn't enjoy a cheeseburger anymore if you actually knew what it was made of. then again, I live in california, and thereby, we have the best burgers in the west made at In n Out, so i can't complain XD

Last edited:

MushroomZOMBIE

♪ ~Just A Social Distortion
    Years
  • I personally find the whole ethical argument for vegetarianism hypocritical. So it's ethical to consume non-animal products and nothing from animals? Just because non-animals don't have a face, that means that you can consume them without feeling guilty? Because they are ALSO living things, after all.

And it's not exactly healthy as many vegetarians say. You get a higher chance of lacking certain vitamins and minerals that the body needs. As some people above said, we're naturally omnivores. It's much too restrictive to a human to forgo meat.

Back