• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vegetarianism

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
Years
  • I went vegetarian for a while, but since at the moment I live with both my parents and grandparents who make seperate dishes, it was hard making a 3rd dish and I could see it was bothering everyone. plus i love chicken. I will go vegetarian again, but I'll probably cut chicken out slowly (it's really basically the only meat I like the taste off, besides bacon and ham). I'll maybe occasionally get meat from our local butcher, who thinks it's disgusting some ways animals are killed, but the truth it i really don't like meat, never have. Sure I said I liked bacon and ham, but even then half the time I don't even want it if offered. I don't find it that great. But some nice seasoned or crumbed chicken...mmmm... I won't go vegan though. I just don't think I'd be good at that. Plus I won't touch soy. Don't ask. And I love my eggs and dairy.

When i was a vegetarian, i did just fine. Well ok, I did faint one. the docter said it would have just been my body adjusting most likely. But still I had iron tablets a few times a week just incase that was the problem and amultivitimens (I'm a bad speller! xD ) everyday. well thats a lie, I used to forget to take them for days some times weeks at a time. But I was fine, other then the first week. I think you can be healthy as a vegetarian providing you research what type of foods can replace what meat gives you. I never really ate anymore then I used to. In fact my diet barely changed aside from dinner, and sometimes my family would have meat for lunch and I'd just have vegemite and lettuce sandwiches. It actually tasted good to me. And I enjoyed my vegetarian dishes a lot more. Oh sweet, sweet vegetarian lasagne.

But anyway, the main thing I think, is that no one should be discriminated over what they eat. And if some people don't think I'm a human for wanting to go vegetarian, well that's not my problem. Why do so many humans have to discriminate against each other over the stupidest things anyway? (diet, race, clothing, gender, whether somebody's going to college/uni or not) But whatever, we all live our lives differently and thats our choice right?

EDIT: sorry for my little rant

Last edited:

nSpire

#1 Liz Thompson fanboy <3
    Years
  • Tofu is absolutely disgusting if you ask me, and I simply couldn't live without meat.

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    I agree with a lot of this, but at the same time I can't help but nitpick a lot of it too...

For instance, as true as it may be that vegetarianism is a "good choice" and MAYBE more people should turn to it, there are multiple reasons why a lot of people can't, maybe shouldn't, and probably won't. I know quite a few I am about to mention are true because they are reasons hindering myself and my family, especially.

The iron consumption issue. I know, there are supplements to fix it, but I doubt many people realize how important it is to keep an eye on what you consume along with those supplements as well. Iron in plants is not as readily absorbent as iron in meat. This is mostly because of all of the inhibitors that plants have on iron absorption. Fiber, for instance is an Iron inhibitor found more often in plants. And the oxalates in leafy greens also inhibits the process. And then there are the meat-free, more artificial products that bring up the same problem. Tea, coffee, chocolate... Basically anything with caffeine or iron inhibiting phosphates. I had to do extensive research on this due ot not only my anatomy class, but the fact that my mom, who was vegetarian at the time, had a hysterectomy and was diagnosed with iron-based anemia shortly thereafter. She then had to (and still has to) eat foods that are rich in Iron, but not iron inhibitors.... Which are, you guessed it, MEATS. Perhaps the fact that she did not consume enough vitamin C in accordance, which actually cancels out the inhibitors to an extent, may have had something to do with it. But a lot of people make the decision without enough research to keep them adequately nourished in the terms of essential vitamins and minerals. They are essentially blinded by the "Do it because its better for you" argument and don't really tend to research it until it is too late.... Until something goes wrong. But then, that's how a lot of people tend to be... especially Americans. (I can easily say this, for I am one.)

Which brings me to my next reason. Procrastination/laziness. A lot of people will look at labels extensively, combing them inside and out for any meats/animal products or nuances to such or calorie intake, but that tends to be as far as they go. As true as it is that Carbs, nucleic acids and proteins have less calories than lipids (the first three convert to 4 calories per gram I believe, while lipids convert into nine) It's really a win/lose. Though many people don't realize it and thus the recommended caloric intake is greatly exceeded by non-vegetarians, vegetarians sometimes don't meet the recommendation. It's usually too much, or not enough... From what I've seen, there aren't many people who can hit and stick to the healthy median without the research that those who don't meet it tend to forgo. Again, blinded by the fact that it is "better for you."

And also, omitting one of the four organic molecules is a BAD IDEA. They're all necessary to life for a reason... and really there is no way to fully omit them luckily. Each one serves at least one function that is vital to survival, and thus cannot be carried out as well when replaced by another. For instance. Those who consume more carbs than lipids tend to be more or less sprinters. Due to fewer calories from their intake, they don't have enough caloric energy to burn to really have exceptional endurance. Thus they are USUALLY more suited for sports that require bursts of energy, rather than a long extensive store. However, if those who consume enough lipids do not train their bodies to use as much of the store as possible at a time (AKA exercise) the body will store it for emergency needs... Thus weight gain. To have a PROPER energy store, there needs to be a balanced consumption of all stores, though in the end, lipids will make up most of your energy capacity, as they have a little over double the calories. After all, your body burns fat as a priority over everything else.

The last point I will bring up is more a personal preference than anything, but I've heard enough complaints about it to make it countable. FLAVOR. I understand some things have to be sacrificed, as most of the time, flavor comes from fats. Which is why meats tend to be naturally more flavorful than vegetables and such. I can't even begin to fathom how rich I'd be if I had a nickel for every time I heard that someone would go vegan if it didn't cost so much to make it taste better.

I guess the point of this incessantly long rant is that not enough people have extensively pointed out a few of the problems with it as I have tried to do... (I may have failed since it is 3 AM here.) They tend to stick to more of the positives and try to defend themselves when negatives are thrown out. But really, believe it or not, I DO believe that the decision is solely up to the person in question. I choose not to, due to all of the negatives I have seen... but I actually will not condemn someone for choosing that particular path. It's all a game of tolerance, which a lot of people tend to not know how to play due to exposure to opinions when younger.

Okay I think I'm done now.

Years
  • I became a vegetarian because I don't like the taste of meat. And I hate the fact of where it comes from, especially eggs (UNBORN CHICKENS! YOU MONSTERS!)

That's pretty much it, I eat organic cause of pesticides. I needs meh brains.

As for how I get my vitamins, MorningStar and other companies contribute in that. I'm also a gluten-free person, just so you know.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Tofu is absolutely disgusting if you ask me, and I simply couldn't live without meat.

What is tofu exactly? despite once being a vegetarian I never tasted it. I had a packet of it but never actually tasted it.

Sewzie

Too sexy for my shirt.
    Years
  • It is against human nature to be strictly vegetarian. It is also unhealthy. Vegetarians are commonly lacking in essential proteins and amino acids that come from meat.
    This basically.
    Although there are multi-vitamin capsules that vegetarians can take in order to receive the same amount of nutrients non-vegetarians receive with eating meat.
    Still, omnivore all the way. :)

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I was raised spanish, where a lot of the meals involved meat. So I don't think I would ever become a vegetarian. Plus meat is sooo yummy!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I need my daily source of meat. I could never be a vegetarian. With that aid, I do accept their dietary choice, as long as they don't force it on others. I don't need people telling me I'm cruel just because I eat what used to be animals. Guess what? I'll counter with the argument that plants are living beings too. (Obviously I wouldn't be able to use that argument with the person who solely eats nails, lumber, VCR's, and car windshields, but I have yet to meet such a person).

Long story short, I eat meat, I'll accept your dietary choices as long as you accept mine.

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    @ the argument "we evolved to be carnivores":

yes we did, because meat was available. if only vegetables were available, we would have evolved to be herbivores (though i think meat had the necessary nutrients that boosted our evolution rate, correct me if im wrong).we weren't "meant to eat meat," it's not "anti-human" to object eating meat, it's a personal decision and stop being so intolerant. now that we have the resources people can choose to be herbivores and stay healthy.

@ plants are also living creatures:

sure, but we can reasonably argue that they don't have the ability to feel pain unlike the animals we eat. and that's where the problem lies, treating animals cruelly, and while i see the discomfort in "consuming cruelty" as PETA would put it, i don't think boycotting meat for that reason solves anything. buT tHaTs jUST mE

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Those who choose to be vegetarian have the right to make that choce, still they should work with a doctor or a dietician to be sure that they are getting the levels of vitamins needed to remain healthy.

And no, the human digestive tract is designed to be strictly herbivore. Strict herbivores have special bacterias in their digestive tract that break down they vegetation they consume. Humans do not have such bacterias.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    you wouldn't enjoy a cheeseburger anymore if you actually knew what it was made of. then again, I live in california, and thereby, we have the best burgers in the west made at In n Out, so i can't complain XD

I know pretty much what goes into fast-food burgers and it does not bother me. They taste nice and as long as you eat them realistically (as in not eating fast food exclusively) they do no harm.
    Besides 9 times out of ten we make our own burgers anyway so I know exactly what goes into them: Mince, ketchup and possible extras such as apple and/or onion, I think there may be another bonding agent aswell, but don't quote me on that. Other than that, we have shop bought burgers and most supermarket burgers aren't too bad for ingredients. Depends on the source.

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Being a vegetarian is something I wouldn't ever do, simply because I don't hold the same set of beliefs that many vegetarians do. That being said, respect to those that do something like that and stand up for what they believe in.

At the same time, a lot of vegetarians are some of the most pretentious people you'll ever meat (haha, I'm so lame) I've met some that'll go to some wild extents to shove their beliefs down your throat, and I can't stand that.

Also, Tofu is delicious.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Is it bad that I got a laugh out of the fact that I was eating some leftover chicken as I found this thread? XD

Obviously, I'm not a vegetarian, and I do tend to think negatively on people who try to 'convert' regular omnivorous people to vegetarianism. It's a noble effort to try and prevent animal suffering, but the majority of slaughterhouses nowadays do terminate my steaks humanely. :P
    Not to be off topic, but Kosher foods trweat the animal well if that's what you are worried about. What if we ate food from animal how died of natureal causes? Would that be bad?

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I became a vegetarian because I don't like the taste of meat. And I hate the fact of where it comes from, especially eggs (UNBORN CHICKENS! YOU MONSTERS!)

Well... not really. They'd only be unborn chickens if fertilised, which they aren't. It's as much eating unborn chickens as ingesting sperm is eating unborn children and people do that all the time. Swallow sperm that is, not eat children.

That's pretty much it, I eat organic cause of pesticides. I needs meh brains.

I always considered organic food to be one of the biggest, most successful scams in history. I mean, why pay more for food that hasn't been treated to deter insects, bacteria and the like from munching on it?

Years
  • I feel compelled to post every time a vegetarian thread pops up.

I became a vegetarian when I realized that you could feed more people on the plants grown in any given field than by using a field of the same size to grow food for animals and then feeding those animals to people.

Warning: Science content!

Spoiler:

It's a simplified example, but the principle is there. There's simply more food. What that means is more food to go around, more that counties like mine (the US) can export for profit or give to people in need (like the flood victims in Pakistan).

I know that a single person not eating meat doesn't really do anything to the big picture, but if enough people cut out or cut back on the meat they eat it could change things. In my experience people eat more meat than they really need anyway. You can get all your body needs by eating meat around 3 times a week (assuming you have a healthy diet already - for instance, if you include beans, rice, squash, and nuts in your diet you'll have all the protein you need). If people just cut back on how much meat they ate I'd be pretty pleased even if they still ate a couple of poor wittle cowses. I'm a practical vegetarian. And a healthy one.

Gyarados Girl

Atrocious
    Years
  • I've been vegan for years now and think vegetarianism / veganism rates are going to grow quicker as the population raises mainly due to the argument Scarf posted above.

Although it requires you pay attention and would not have been practical for people in the distant past, there's really no effective arguments for meat eating today in my opinion; especially when one considers the food shortage worldwide.

Years
  • see, that's the thing, there are plenty of subsitutes that provide the same coverage of nutrients. Soy beans...and well beans in general provide more than enough proteins and amino acids...without the fat involved like in all meats. calcium is available through cereals and soy milk.

And eating more? not really. you eat just enough to stay satisfied. that's what most people don't even understand yet, proportions of food meals. have you heard your parents tell you to eat everything on your plate? did you know that one plateful, given the size of the plate is like 9in or whichever the general standard is, filled with food can actually feed two people.

the whole reason why most americans are fat isn't wholly because of the diets they eat, it is because they are ignorant of proportions on their plates. People eat to get stuffed and bloated, but don't realize that people need to eat just enough to stay alive and energetic after a meal. but that's beside the point \rant\

[out of context]fyi; those are eating disorders and usually tied in with today's culture, but i really don't know why your bringing that up in the first place. rapid weight loss usually means that something is WRONG within a person's body, and parasites aren't usually a good sign altogether

Yes, you do get more proteins and such from meats but you also get the lovely bonus of fat as well, i do know that fat is beneficial towards a human body, but not in ridiculous amounts. and some meats, like sausages and [vomits] hot dogs are actually higher in fat than they are in proteins. *shudders*

you wouldn't enjoy a cheeseburger anymore if you actually knew what it was made of. then again, I live in california, and thereby, we have the best burgers in the west made at In n Out, so i can't complain XD

Trust me i know what goes into making a cheeseburger. Yummy Grease, cholesterol, fat, etc. mystery meat, etc

...and Hotdogs. its pretty much common knowledge that Hotdogs/Sausage are bits and pieces of leftover meat-stuff, organs, etc, from a variety of animal sources, stuffed inside the intestinal membrane of a pig usually. And they are oh so wonderful after a few minutes on the grill. xD

Back to the vegetarian argument, i like the idea of conserving resources/being Eco friendly, it is easier on the ecosystem to be Vegan/Vegetarian, but i start to get turned off when it gets to PETA levels though. :/ but in the long run i think the argument for it runs out of steam. you cant ignore mother nature forever.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Vegetarianism? What the hell is that!? Is this another religion thread?

Now where the hell is my raw meat?

Kirozane

Frolic and fun~
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Sep 12, 2023
    Back to the vegetarian argument, i like the idea of conserving resources/being Eco friendly, it is easier on the ecosystem to be Vegan/Vegetarian, but i start to get turned off when it gets to PETA levels though. :/ but in the long run i think the argument for it runs out of steam. you cant ignore mother nature forever.

Not quite, actually... In terms of production methods, yes, being vegetarian IS indeed more Eco friendly... but at the same time it is not. And there is also a reason why the meat "normal omnivorous humans" DO consume largely is from herbivorous/omnivorous animals, and it's not just because of the extra nutrients obtained through it. (even if we only receive 10% of what they received, thus only 1% of the photosynthetic energy the plants received from the sun.)

It's, ulteriorly, a way to keep a type of check/balance. If we suddenly stopped consuming meat, even if we could still obtain a healthy amount of nutrients from such a lifestyle, it would be a terrible decision when you look at the ecosystem developmentally. We are now what keeps a lot of herbivorous species in check... Livestock more specifically. (even if we are also the reason they're on the verge of ballooning out of control in the first place...) If we suddenly stopped killing them for food, and let them produce at will, even if another animal started to pick them off, it wouldn't be at as rapid a pace, thus the population of these creatures would swell out of control... and thus an overconsumption of plants would occur, causing their lifespans and growth patterns to shift dramatically.

If I need to back up this argument, allow me to go off topic with my basis. Wolves. In Yellowstone more specifically.

Spoiler:

Basically, If humanity all decided to go vegetarian due to just being more Eco friendly with production methods, we would be essentially exhausting the world's resources faster than nature could recover from. It would bring about mass conflict over who controls the more rapidly dwindling resources and how to portion it "fairly" (though the past has shown that is never the case...) which would, of course, spiral further out of control.

So, I think what I'm trying to say here is, as good of an idea as it is, we are currently in a spot where the omnivore population has to considerably outnumber the herbivore/vegetarian population of humanity to keep a type of check or balance in order.

Believe it or not, I actually agree to an extent, Live. It's just AP Bio has taught me to really nitpick these types of things. I just couldn't keep the "flaws"/missed details I spotted to myself.

Though I may just be looking too far into it again... I always find an argument at 1 AM.

Last edited:
    Years
  • 1. I'm a Vegetarian.
    2. It's by choice, and no it's not OMG THEYZ KILLIN TEH ANIMULZ AND HARMIN TEH WORLD. That really doesn't bother me, too many animals are killed en-mass nowadays for food anyways.
    3. It's not to be healthy or any of that crap, I probably consume more chocolate than I do other foods.

I was raised a vegetarian but with the option of meat because of my mother, who is a Vegetarian, however, I live in a house with my grandmother and father who are both meat-eaters. So I do have the option to have meat if I so wish, it was never forced on me.
    I'm not a fully fledged Vegetarian in a way, because I've had plenty of sausages in my lifespan, but not enough that I'd consume them even on a monthly basis, I'd have them maybe once every 9 months or so and that's not planned or anything it's kinda just if I'm offered them by friends or at gatherings I'll take some to be polite. So I actually don't stand for people shoving Vegetarianism down peoples throats, and personally I think going Vegan is a bit too much.

My diet consists of:
    Potato's, Beans, Rice, Pizza, Pasta, Noodles, Soup, Bread/Bread Rolls, Milk, Cheese and then some forms of vegetables mixed in with my potato. (For the record I'm Irish :P )
    I absolutely love Italian food and will try anything vegetarian that comes out of that country.

That literally is more or less my diet, I've maybe forgotten a few things but not much I'd bet.

By habit actually rather than OMG I NEED TO GET LEVELS OF THIS AND THAT, I end up drinking at least 2 litres of water in a day, usually I'll end up drinking around 4-6. Which I've been told time and again is very healthy. Which I've told is quite a helpful hand see'ing as I'm vegetarian.

I've never had problems with Iron Tablets, Vitamin Supplements I tend to only take if I'm under the weather for an extra boost, I DO NOT TAKE THEM REGULARLY.

I had stress related heart problems 3 years ago, and because of this I took all kinds of dietery tests performed to see that it wasn't related to foods I was eating or anything like that. It was quickly confirmed that it was stress of school and I was told to tone it down a little. But that my diet consumption was fine and there was nothing wrong with it and nothing that needed to be improved on, even from a full medical standpoint, I'm a healthy human being and my diet doesn't consist of meat or any artificial supplements.

So for all you ignorant people saying that we evolved this way or that we need meat, you don't as long as you take care of yourself you're just as bad as the people that try and force Vegetarianism down your throat, because you're doing exactly the same. You need to be open to the idea before you become biased like that and your argument starts to fail.

I eat what I please and I've been suriving all my life pretty fine. /rant

Mind you though if anyone has any questions relating to me directly feel free to ask, I'll have no problem whatsoever answering.

Back