• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Vermillion City Gym Trash Cans

FireRed Supergiant

ZIPPO used SLASH! Critical Hit
Years
  • Worst puzzle in all of pokemon, or worst puzzle in all of video gaming?

And I am almost sure that they tilt the odds away from you guessing the second switch correctly, because I guessed randomly ten times in a row and got it wrong every time. This happens literally every time I play Red or Blue. It takes me at least 10 minutes.

And no, I am still not done with it.

rndm.

Mostly inactive D:
    Years
  • ...You are aware that the second one is always next to the first one, right? I mean either directly above it or next to it.

Yeah, it's still pretty annoying.

Etherius

Ethereal Champion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2009
    I didn't find it too bad. I'm usually quite lucky in just about everything, though, so...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • It's annoying, yes, but I personally found the Fortree and Mossdeep gyms in RS to be difficult my first time through. But after playing all the games and knowing how they work, I guess Surge's will always give me the most trouble.

FireRed Supergiant

ZIPPO used SLASH! Critical Hit
    Years
  • ...You are aware that the second one is always next to the first one, right? I mean either directly above it or next to it.

oh yes, i am absolutely aware of it. that's why it becomes really suspicious after only 10 trials since there are at most 4 options to choose from.

Brendonwii

Gooby pls
    Years
  • No i like the puzzle gives me time to turn of the game for a while (cause pokemon games are SOOO addictive and i wont stop :D) then pick it up later.

Years
  • Meh, it's not that hard.

Over the years, I've become pretty proficient at solving it quickly. I walk between the trash cans so that I can check one, turn to the left/right, and check another (as opposed to moving one step, checking one, move, check, ect.). It seems faster to me, anyway. But yes, there have been some times that I've gone 8+ attempts without getting the second switch.

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    It is not a lot of difficulty, to fury to retry it is learned us the run to do.

Ayselipera

Its the only gym that actually pisses me off. I'll narrow it down to two cans yet I always pick the wrong one. I'm so fortunate!

Years
  • It's odd, though, because sometimes the cans can be ones you've already checked.
    Kind of annoying when you narrow it to two and the second isn't the right can.
    I forgot to mention that. Yeah, that's the one thing that makes the puzzle slightly broken. You'll think "It has to be this one, because it's next to the first switch and it's the only one I haven't checked" and then "There's nothing here.....[LOSER!!!]"

"Huh? What!?!?" *headdesk*

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure the second switch can be found under a trash can that you've already checked, which makes it even more ridiculous.

Seriously who manages to go around and change the switches immediately after you check it.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Never remind me of that again !!!
    I stood SICK for 5 HOURS in fromnt of my GBA in FR to getpast that FRICKING puzzle !! DO not remind me again because it's driving me crazy whenI think of it !!

Years
  • Yes, Vermilion has probably the most annoying gym puzzle ever after Snowpoint, since it's actually the only one that requires luck (Snowpoint's doesn't but it always takes soo incredibly long, so i hate it even more)

I always seem to pick the wrong of the mostly 2 trashcans (the first switch seems to be pretty often in the corner) for like 10 times in a row...

Back