• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Version name change for America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
    I don't think many people will associate Black and White with anything racial until someone brings it up.

Besides, what about games like Black and White 1 and 2 for the PC? Their names were fine...

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
    Years
    there's nothing racial about pokemon,
    don't get offensive.
    when people insult italians i admit i do get a little
    annoyed, but not enough to try and bash their head in
    or go to court.
    and i thought black/white could refer to ying/yang ?

NatureKeeper

I am thinking that there is no racism in the game. At all. There is nothing related to racism. And, names changed, for example. That happened in Red and Green. There is not a single law about naming after colours, especially that is just summing up to a print of #000000 and #FFFFFF, not people. So, no. Nobody can do anything about it, Nintendo won't break a law. =3

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I have no problem with either Black or White as titles and think they should remain for their eventual release, once translated and released everywhere after Japan.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    Anyone who connects the game titles with race and then demands the names of the games to be changed really need to find something better to do with their time. You'd think after so many years that we as a society have grown from that closed mind thinking where every single color or thing done relating to colors had a double meaning behind them. Alexeon makes a good point, and reading it, I really don't think many people will make a huge commotion over it, though I'm sure idiots today will cause there to be some controversy over the names. Black and white are just two extremely expressive colors, in my opinion. This just goes back to something I think of when I think of white and black; the iPhone. It's personal choice. Not getting one color doesn't mean your racist towards that color, it just means aesthetically you prefer that specific color for that specific piece of merchandise. At least that's how I see it.

Hooray for logic!

The young folks of today have been raised in a way that makes them think black and white are racist. THEY ARE COLOURS!!! Pokemon Blue wasn't racist to smurfs was it? No! Something is racist when it implies that a certain race is superior or inferior to others. Colours like black, white, blue, purple, magenta and heliotrope are not racist.

This thread is pointless.

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Aug 6, 2023
    Well, even IF they do change the name (Which I hope they wouldn't), hopefully it would still fit. Light & Dark sound completely lame, though.

perfectmonster

Eggs Are Awesome!
    Years
    These stupid and uptight people who think that it is racist should be doing something better with their time. I mean seriously, It's not like Nintendo's gonna name them Black, White and Asian versions. Get a life peoples. :P

Porygon-Z

Silph Agent
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    Black and White are not dirty words!!

They are colours! By your logic they'll have to start printing newspapers in Blue Ink on Green Paper just so no racial minority takes offense.

Sheesh!

Years
    Yes, a small minority of idiots might get "offended" by the names because they are not politically correct, the same bunch that say we shouldn't say blackboard or sing baa baa black sheep to our children.

No, they will not get changed, they aren't gonna rename a title because a small group with nothing better to do deem it "offensive".

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    Could I just add that new names WOULD NOT change the actual games. I wouldn't care if thet decided to call it Yin and Yang, I would just get it for the GAME itself, not the name of it. And I feel sorry for everyone who has stated here that they would not get the game due to a minor name change. Not that big of a deal people....

Years
    Now that I think about it, did we think Yellow was racist when we were younger? No. I"m guessing that the core audience won't care (Or even think about that) either with these games, so the names probably won't be changed.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    If they didn't change HeartGold and SoulSilver's titles for the offense of being horrible, horrible Engrish, I doubt they'd change Black and White's titles.

Seriously, they're just colours. Maybe if Pokémon were still in its early years, people would make a big deal out of it and it would get a lot of bad press, but I don't think enough (important) people will care about the name for Nintendo to bother changing it. They may consider it for the sole purpose of being politically correct but I really hope they don't change it.

I understand the need for political correctness but I think it's a stupid movement and that people take offense to things FAR too easily these days.

Years
    I'm completely against the chaning of names if it were to happen and anyone who thinks it should change because of racial offense doesn't know the meaning of it.

Either way, I think Ebony and Ivory would be nice replacements, if they were to rename (which is highly unlikely for them to do).

Last edited:

SpawnHyuuga

Elite Four Spawn
    Years
    Well granted that the general public is quite stupid and ignorant, I still don't think they will change the names of Black and White in NA.

Now, obviously there are a few exceptions to the stupid people (most of them on this forum); but I really don't think there is a need to change the names. There are some seriously ridiculous lawsuits out there (like the one of the robber who sued the guy he was trying to rob because he hurt himself on the guys broken steps.)

So, for now - I really don't think it's a problem. But we also have to take into consideration that in these times it seems the racial barrier is at its highest - and back when Yellow was made; there wasn't very much hatred against asians.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I can't see them changing the names. I think the games would lose something vital in this transition, and I'd rather that not happen.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    Well I don't think the title is bad or anything (I hear about the idiots who think the names are racist. Anybody seen the episode of South Park "Cartman's Silly Hate Crime". It makes you think) but I think it might be changed.

If anything it will be changed to "Light and Dark". At least that's what I would think.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2018
    I remember this stupid incident about Gamefreak changing Jynx' skin color in the American versions from black to purple, so it wouldn't be totally unexpected if it happened.

But let's hope it does not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back