• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

VGPOTW #4: Warning! New Challenger Approaches!

Which new Super Smash Bros. character(s) are you most looking forward to?

• Total voters

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • DuKr2cn.png

Welcome to Video Game's Poll of the Week! Thanks to the permission of Pokemon General's moderator Brendino, Video Games will now be hosting a weekly series that pits certain video game characters, levels, and universes against other to see which one will come out on top! In last week's Poll of the Week, the Mage class conjured a spell to outlast it's opponents in the battle for PC's favorite class/job poll!
    Expand on your answers! Tell us why you prefer one video game element over another! Posts that don't elaborate as to why specific elements were chosen will be deleted, and a warning may be given out through an infraction if it's a reoccurring issue.
    For this week's matchup, the selection of characters was decided solely on whether or not they have been in an existing game as a playable character. This means that characters like "Zero Suit Samus" and "Sheik," who weren't playable solo characters before but were in previous games, will not count towards this. If you have a matchup that you would like to see, whether between video game characters or worlds/universes, send me a VM or PM and if your matchup gets chosen then an emblem will be given out as a reward!

Without further ado:

Which new Super Smash Bros. character(s) are you most excited for?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm really excited to play as Greninja and Robin. Lucina will probably end up as my main, though. I love how Fire Emblem is getting more representation in SSB4.
    And Duck Hunt Dog actually looks pretty interesting, so I'm fairly excited for that.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • The Villager plays like SUCH a beast in the 3DS demo. I love him. He's my only choice, but I honestly love every single newcomer (except Dark Pit). I am absolutely loving everything about Smash 4.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'm not too big of a Smash player (yet!), but Robin, Lucina, Duck Hunt Dog, and Shulk all look like they're going to be really fun to try out. I have no idea which character I'm going to use as my main, so I'm going to have to try them all. 8) I'm really happy with the character choices.

The Villager plays like SUCH a beast in the 3DS demo. I love him. He's my only choice, but I honestly love every single newcomer (except Dark Pit).

Yeah, why did they include Dark Pit? @_@ I mean, he's cool and all but he seems he would just like a Pit clone and I'm sure they could have chosen someone else to fill his spot.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Yeah, why did they include Dark Pit? @_@ I mean, he's cool and all but he seems he would just like a Pit clone and I'm sure they could have chosen someone else to fill his spot.

The developers say it takes about 3x as long to create an entirely unique character as it does to craft five clones. So characters like Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit all took less than a third of the time it took to create Villager or Wii Fit Trainer. Unfortunately very few of us have any real idea what Dark Pit is like, but my personal taste is to dislike him because I wanted more Donkey Kong representatives. :)

Years
  • So, I will try to limit my votes to 5 characters, even though I am excited about many more.

1. Palutena - First off, I love her design, the green-haired greek-inspired goddess with a golden laurel wreath. Not to mention, she has a powerful staff to unleash magical powers and gorgeous wings, giving her the true gift of flight (unlike pit, last longer than 5 minutes). And that up smash!!!

2. Greninja - The froakster was my least favorite starter...at first, but soon grew on me. Greninja is by far the best designed fully evolved starter of Kalos. I mean, come on, a tongue scarf, along with his sleek shape and sharp, angular head. As far as the gameplay goes, I love his tongue-lashing melee attacks and the fact that we have a character with a water affinity, aside from the mario sunshine reference.

3. Robin - I just finished FE: Awakening, and have been a fan of the series for nearly ten years now. The game continues to improve upon its predecessors, which is not always the case. Part of that improvement, though mostly having to do with battle mechanics, are the new characters. I was so excited that we were able to customize the main character (Robin/Avatar). Tactician/Grandmaster was by far my favorite class, mixing a bit of a slashing and magic. From a gameplay perspective, Robin appears to versatile fighting strategies and I can't wait to tip the scales with Robin in smash!

4. Duck Hunt Dog - Uh, this was one of my first games I'd played, despite the SNES already being released. My grandma was a closet gamer, with tons of NES, SNES, and Atari systems/games to choose from. I couldn't believe the tv was responding to where I was pointing the gun, to this day, I still don't quite understand how the remote worked! It's amazing that some, albeit primitive form of motion sensing, was released on a home console more than 20 years before the wii's debut.

Anyway, I was really excited after seeing the character render, reminiscent of banjo kazooie in some respects. They really did a great job of modernizing the character yet maintaining the class idiosyncrasies of the duck hunt dog. Did I mention how cute he was?

5. Mii Fighter - Though I am not a huge fan of miis, I like that there is a variety of aesthetic customizations that can be made to the miis, ie, clothing. It is very exciting as a customization fiend to FINALLY be able to design my own characters. Though, even simple things like allowing a color slider rather than preset colors could do so much as far as customization, that is just the tip of the iceberg. Still, I will look forward to this.

Honorable Mentions: Rosalina, Villager, Bowser Jr.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm looking forward to all the new characters that they're introducing, to be honest, but one person that stands above all would be Mega Man. Although I'm personally much bigger of a fan of his Battle Network version (sucks to see that it's not making any appearance at all), I'm still fond of his normal form, and am very excited to play as him. I'm expecting Mega Man's battle-style to resemble Metroid's, but it will still be different, in some way, considering that he's smaller in height, which could play into making him move faster and whatnot.

Second in line is Greninja; have been pretty excited for it ever since it was initially announced. Love its design, and am intrigued to see how it performs in matches. Next, it's Rosalina & Luma, and after them, it would have to be Duck Hunt Dog.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If my avatar didn't make it obvious, and you didn't see my reaction to that one reveal trailer, the new characters I'm most excited for are Robin and Lucina. I was incredibly surprised when I saw them get revealed, and was really happy about it. Awakening is my favorite FE game, and Robin is my favorite character (and Lucina is in my top 5). Not to mention that Robin looks fun to play as, what with having swords AND sorcery and is apparently good in the air so I finally have a chance at being decent in aerial combat. Lucina>Marth.

I also threw in a vote for Greninja.

I like the roster we have a lot. I'd even say that this is the best one we've had out of all the games. For me anyway. I know some people didn't get exactly what they wanted.

The Villager plays like SUCH a beast in the 3DS demo. I love him. He's my only choice, but I honestly love every single newcomer (except Dark Pit). I am absolutely loving everything about Smash 4.
    I don't get Villager. How the hell do you play as him/her?

Yeah, why did they include Dark Pit? @_@ I mean, he's cool and all but he seems he would just like a Pit clone and I'm sure they could have chosen someone else to fill his spot.
    Eh, I don't mind having a few clone characters.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The line-up for the games is spectacular this time around! I'm specifically looking forward to playing as Pac-Man as he makes his debut.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I don't get Villager. How the hell do you play as him/her?

As a Smash-mechanics scrub (I generally just smash my fingers into the buttons and get results), Villager was one of the easier ones to control from the demo, in my opinion. His moves seem to cater to players that prefer to plan some of their attacks, while also allowing you to get in-their-face. Down-B plants a sapling, which you water, then it grows, and you chop it down. The move takes forever, but if you can get the tree grown and begin chopping, every chop does a good amount of damage, while the tree falling does a fairly gnarly bit of work on your opponent(s). The chopping and falling tree, if timed right (when an opponent is 75%+ damage) will almost always guarantee a KO (from my experience).

His left/right-B move is also great. The Villager hops on a gyroid and shoots across the stage on it or lets it fly on its own. Valuable recovery move if you need to get on-screen quickly (when it can be used), but also devastatingly lethal if used properly. I believe it even gains strength the longer it flies. Villager also posses an insane recovery with his balloons. It will likely be the best recovery move in the game because you can pretty much recover from anywhere and not risk death.

Beyond that, his A moves aren't bad. Fairly good moveset - quick, but short range. Once again: caters to those that plan, since every move needs to really land or else you're screwed. He has a small range, but it's still a fun play.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I voted for several, but by far my favorite new addition is Mega Man. I just got a soft spot for blue heroes I guess.

Years
  • Eh, I don't mind having a few clone characters.

I don't mind a few clones either; however, I would rather have another clone character with a different appearance, than one that is a color swap, even if there are some difference in the movesets. That's just me anyways, since I am just a "casually-competitive" player.

PS: Surprised no one voted for Rosalina and Luma! I am a devout Peach user, so, I guess that's one reason why I am glad she is on board, but not down-right ecstatic like I am about my top choices. I wonder though, I thought fans of the Mario series generally started to favor Rosalina over Peach, is that not true?

For me Peach >>> Rosalina, but I love both of them.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • The developers say it takes about 3x as long to create an entirely unique character as it does to craft five clones. So characters like Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit all took less than a third of the time it took to create Villager or Wii Fit Trainer. Unfortunately very few of us have any real idea what Dark Pit is like, but my personal taste is to dislike him because I wanted more Donkey Kong representatives. :)

Thank you, I'm honestly not that invested in Smash so I was just a little confused but it all makes sense now. u_u I also don't really have anything against Dark Pit since I liked him in Uprising, so I'll probably try him out anyway. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2014
    I can't wait to play as robin I was saying on forums I expected them to add him in and they did so I am super hyped about it.

Years
  • I'm not all that big on the Smash Bros. series, but I definitely excited about the addition of Greninja and Animal Crossing's Villager, and am very excited to see how they play (especially the later of the two). Along with Sonic and the other Pokemon, I could definitely see Greninja being one of my main characters to play as, though.

Yukari

Without a doubt Megaman and Shulk. I was really exited to see megaman added to the roster since I grew up Playing Megaman Games.

Shulk because Xenoblade Chronicles! Just, Xenoblade Chronicles.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • And here I'm hoping that I'll have enough money to get Smash Bros when it's released. :'D

My vote goes to Villager and Greninja... Actually, I might say that I should vote for everybody, since I've never played Smash Bros before due to the lack of the console, so knowing about it going to be released on the 3DS made me jump.

But eh, two newcomers... Greninja's style seems so interesting after watching the trailers, while Villager... Dang I took back my word for including Villager in Smash Bros, that guy is easy to use and his recovery is so damn good in the demo.

Garison

The Grey Waves
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    I'm not too big of a Smash player (yet!), but Robin, Lucina, Duck Hunt Dog, and Shulk all look like they're going to be really fun to try out. I have no idea which character I'm going to use as my main, so I'm going to have to try them all. 8) I'm really happy with the character choices.

Yes Dark Pit is a clone of Pit. The only unique move he has is his final smash, The Dark Pit Staff. However I don't really get why people are so alergic to clones. Sure there are ways they could be more unique, but I like the Dark Pit almost as much as normal Pit and I do not really care if he has virtually the same moves. I think that the character's popularity has more impact on their inclusion chances than how identical they are to an existing character (except in Chrom's case)

As I said before, all but one of Dark Pit's move is visually identical to Pit's. Dark pit's moves do generally more damage than Pit's , however Pit has more knockback power, so if I ever did get a 3ds, I would prefer pit over dark pit. Although I probally did not need to mention that because of my sig :p

Back