• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vocabulary that the Pokemon games have taught you?

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
  • When I first picked up my first PARLYZ HEAL I had to ask Mum what Parlyz meant and she figured it was something to do with paralysis and told me all about it. So I learned the words "paralysis" and "paralyse" from Pokemon :P

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Quite a few, actually. It's hard to pick examples from the top of my head, but I'll try. A lot of the natures come to mind, for example, naive, modest... There's also words like endeavour. Yeah, there are more, I'll just have to remember them. xD

Years
  • Elixir, though I pronounced it wrong for the longest time. :P

There's also a lot of the natures, too. I had zero clue what most of them meant until I guess somewhat recently lol. It's a bit embarrassing to think about, actually! Modest I thought was the complete opposite of what it was, for example.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Buffeted, just like Platinumdude. Can't really remember anything else but I do remember that I used to always pronounce Geodude as Gouda because I had NO idea how it was pronounced hahaha.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I learned a load of colours from Gen I and II. The difference between fuchsia and mauve, for example, is just STRIKING! If anyone mentions viridian or saffron or cerulean, I know exactly what they're talking about, and it's all thanks to Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    when I was just 14 years old and played the gold rom on pc: (before they were out)
    the only thing that was more or less translated was. Hey you are pretty good don't you want my number.

the 'pretty good' was the thing I learnt from the games- since before that I only knew the 'pretty' as in 'pretty girl' meaning.

and then some others later (on english roms where I have played the local language already) 'potion, antidote, repel. lol.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    TERRAIN. WHEN I DISCOVERED THAT I THOUGHT IT WAS LIKE THE MOST AWESOME WORD EVER. I felt like such a smart kid for knowing what that meant really. Route... not so much. But I didn't know it before!

Like all of you though, probably elixir, protege was a definite, omg there's so much more!! :( Uhhh foe, yeah. Johto/Hoenn basically taught me everything since I was at the age to learn things more then. XD

OH. BRAILLE. I THOUGHT IT WAS SOME RANDOM THING UNTIL I WAS LIKE "OH... THIS IS REAL."

Remind me to play through Hoenn sometime soon so I can remember more, because I'm 99% sure there's a lot more from Hoenn. I love this thread btw, but yeah! I'll try and think of more and come back to edit, or post or something like that. :)

Also I'm sure Ranger taught me some words too, idk.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Let's see, I started in first grade, so I learned:
    Paralyze, confusion, psychic, rare, buffeted, teeter, hyper, beam, bolt, cycling, awaken, tomb, ruins, surf, blast, quiz, and so many more. I wasn't the brightest little kid. :'D

Back