• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Walker vs Wisconsin

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
And where is your data to back this up? My stepmom and my dad are teachers, and everyone they know who went took personal days or waited until the weekend.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
No offense, but misusing a personal day probably doesn't bode well for public opinion. Aren't those for illness, injury, or medical emergencies? At least where I live. Plus other "urgent events" related to family members.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
No offense, but misusing a personal day probably doesn't bode well for public opinion. Aren't those for illness, injury, or medical emergencies? At least where I live. Plus other "urgent events" related to family members.

Personal days are a certain amount of days one can take off by law without having to have justification. Those are usually different than sick days; which are usually unlimited since no one can plan on being sick for X amount of days (but the law can regulate how much of that is paid time off).

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I know its different than sick days. For me, Personal Days mean like....your parents died, you go into a car accident, even your babysitter cancelled. "I'm too sick to work today" would be a sick day.

Anyway...different topic altogether.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
As of either today or yesterday, the bill has passed in Wisconsin. And even my teachers here in Minnesota are getting pissed about it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I find it unprofessional that Teachers show their political positions to their students...
So it passed? Huh interesting...
Some people I heard were actually using sick days...guess they used up their personal days...

Years
I find it unprofessional that Teachers show their political positions to their students...
Some people I heard were actually using sick days...guess they used up their personal days...

I find no problem with it. If a child actually changes their opinion on politics/was influenced simply because a teacher discussed their own Political views then that child is a naive idiot. We're supposed to think critically, yes? Same thing.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

I find no problem with it. If a child actually changes their opinion on politics/was influenced simply because a teacher discussed their own Political views then that child is a naive idiot. We're supposed to think critically, yes? Same thing.

That's a bit harsh. We're talking about children, not adults. Children are easily impressionable. That is human nature at an early age.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
We're talking about seniors in high school. The people impressionable enough to change their opinions based on their teacher's don't understand the issue/don't care about it anyway. The ones that do care enough about the issue had basically the same opinion as my teacher anyway.

Years

I think it's perfectly fine for them to be stating their political opinions to their older students, especially those who are in high school.

And I wonder how it will affect other states, and how many more will consider this.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
We're talking about seniors in high school. The people impressionable enough to change their opinions based on their teacher's don't understand the issue/don't care about it anyway. The ones that do care enough about the issue had basically the same opinion as my teacher anyway.

The terms "children" and "child" don't imply high schoolers, let alone seniors. In high school, I think it's okay for teacher's to express their opinions as long as they are clearly identified as opinion and not fact. When this happens, all students should feel free to express their opinions and perhaps have some healthy, civil debate on topics of interest.

My 12th Grade IB History teacher would show us films that are clearly biased to the left of American political spectrum. We had to watch Outfoxed, Sicko by Michael Moore, and Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth and write essay responses to them. That's inappropriate if the information is one-sided like that. I don't care how old a student is; teachers shouldn't be teaching political opinion as fact.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
They... weren't teaching it though. They were stating their opinions on what was going on. The person talking about it was my math teacher, discussing it with the librarian. Students just happened to get in on it.

Years
The terms "children" and "child" don't imply high schoolers, let alone seniors. In high school, I think it's okay for teacher's to express their opinions as long as they are clearly identified as opinion and not fact. When this happens, all students should feel free to express their opinions and perhaps have some healthy, civil debate on topics of interest.

My 12th Grade IB History teacher would show us films that are clearly biased to the left of American political spectrum. We had to watch Outfoxed, Sicko by Michael Moore, and Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth and write essay responses to them. That's inappropriate if the information is one-sided like that. I don't care how old a student is; teachers shouldn't be teaching political opinion as fact.

Of course they are. High schools across the country advocate abstinence programs in health class and in the school, and those are clearly misleading, heavily right-wing religeous groups. Same thing, yet that's ok?

Back to Walker v. Wisconsin, I do hope the GOP knows they are literally digging their own grave for the 2012 elections. All this outrage and outcry over GOP-backed proposals will not go over well come next November. The democrats will carry the vote of the Middle class this time. All the Democrats have to do is bring up that they kept their distance from the Collective Bargaining Legislation, and did what they could to abstain from it's vote. Same strategy the Republicans used against Obama before the Midterms.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Of course they are. High schools across the country advocate abstinence programs in health class and in the school, and those are clearly misleading, heavily right-wing religeous groups. Same thing, yet that's ok?

Back to Walker v. Wisconsin, I do hope the GOP knows they are literally digging their own grave for the 2012 elections. All this outrage and outcry over GOP-backed proposals will not go over well come next November. The democrats will carry the vote of the Middle class this time. All the Democrats have to do is bring up that they kept their distance from the Collective Bargaining Legislation, and did what they could to abstain from it's vote. Same strategy the Republicans used against Obama before the Midterms.

Teaching children that abstaining from sex is an effective way to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases is misleading?

I think it's way too early to be forecasting the 2012 elections. One could also see that the Democrat's failure to cooperate in order to reduce deficits will lead to higher taxes and slashed budgets for popular programs, thus fermenting more voter anger.

We must remember that those angry over these proposals are public sector employees. These people have always been a reliable voting base for the Democrats. Most middle class Americans are employed in the private sector and more worried about taxes than what benefits public employees get. In fact, many private sector employees probably loathe the fact that government works gets such generous benefits, yet still have the nerve to complain.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Lowest income tax: 10%
Highest income tax: 35%

30 years ago

Lowest income tax: 14%
Highest income tax: 70%

So the taxes for the poorest citizens have dropped a 4%, while the taxes for the richest have dropped by half. And now the deficit is crazy, so what's the solution? Increasing the taxes for the richest citizens back (not even to their previous levels!!!)? Nah, it's much better to cut down the benefits of the poorest since there are more of those and, after all, the richest could run away and avoid their legal obligations to contribute to the taxes.

Seriously, I find it horribly disgusting to live in a world where our leaders have such ideas. Sadly, they are all over the place lately.

Years
Meh, I've been concentrating on Economics a lot lately and kinda realize...we need more tax brackets. Or the "millionaires tax."

We used to have 20+ actually, but tax code "simplification" in the 1980's *cough cough* eliminated it to 6 and capped the highest tax bracket to $250k+ so some like to argue when people say "tax the rich" that you're taxing "small businesses and entrepreneurs" because they fall under the $250k+ bracket LOL.

Love how these things are bended to appear in such ways. >.>

Back