• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Walker vs Wisconsin

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Lowest income tax: 10%
Highest income tax: 35%

30 years ago

Lowest income tax: 14%
Highest income tax: 70%

So the taxes for the poorest citizens have dropped a 4%, while the taxes for the richest have dropped by half. And now the deficit is crazy, so what's the solution? Increasing the taxes for the richest citizens back (not even to their previous levels!!!)? Nah, it's much better to cut down the benefits of the poorest since there are more of those and, after all, the richest could run away and avoid their legal obligations to contribute to the taxes.

Seriously, I find it horribly disgusting to live in a world where our leaders have such ideas. Sadly, they are all over the place lately.

I believe we should have a flat tax rate, but even under the current system, 35% of your income is a very large portion. A better solution would be to flat tax and lift the $250,000 cap. Under the capped system, certain taxes like (such as Social Security) only tax the first $250,000 a person makes in a year. Reforming that is a more feasible and fair option to just increasing income tax rates.

Raising income taxes across the board would indeed penalize small businesses because $250,000 falls well short of the definition of millionaire that people seem to demonize. My proposal would be feasible if personal income tax reforms are kept separate from the income their business generates. Legally, businesses and corporations are separate entities than the individuals that own and operate them.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years

I find no problem with it. If a child actually changes their opinion on politics/was influenced simply because a teacher discussed their own Political views then that child is a naive idiot. We're supposed to think critically, yes? Same thing.
I had an English teacher once tell us to go home and tell our parents to vote for a specific party.

Unprofessional, yes?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2018
Well, I'm running for a student office at my university that lobbies Sacramento politicians. I just got done talking to some labor protesters talking about budget cuts and I talked to them in order to garner support for the Republican primaries in a few weeks.

I just find it funny that Californians protest and have so much anger at our politicians, yet we re-elected pretty much all of them in the 2010 election cycle. It's not even about political party. I think both the Tea Party and a liberal answer to it would be beneficial because they would both challenge the establishment within the two major parties and return American politics to the people on all ends of the political spectrum.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015

I find no problem with it. If a child actually changes their opinion on politics/was influenced simply because a teacher discussed their own Political views then that child is a naive idiot. We're supposed to think critically, yes? Same thing.

Children often don't know any better, because their first exposure to politics is usually their teachers. I know mine was. Much like the tobacco industry, their slogan is 'Hook 'em while they're young'.

And it doesn't matter if adults are idiots or not. They're still registered voters. Idiots vote all the time. That's why we have such a screwed up government. Just as a team is only as strong as its weakest member, any leader in a democracy is only as smart as the people that vote for them.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years

I had an English teacher once tell us to go home and tell our parents to vote for a specific party.

Unprofessional, yes?
Wow...in my state that isn't allowed...a teacher can tell one the view of parties but not tell students or their parents how to vote...
Anyways has the bill pass yet or is it still in limbo? (haven't heard much of it lately due to the Crisis in Libya)

Years

Wow...in my state that isn't allowed...a teacher can tell one the view of parties but not tell students or their parents how to vote...
Anyways has the bill pass yet or is it still in limbo? (haven't heard much of it lately due to the Crisis in Libya)

So far, Wisconsin's senate passed a bill to actually fine the missing Democrats $100 a day until they return to vote. Other than that, they're still missing.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/02/wisconsin.budget/index.html?hpt=T2

Melody

Banned
Years
The GOP is indeed digging themselves a hole a mile wide and a half a mile deep. :/

The governor of Wisconsin is also screaming to be removed from office as soon as it's legally possible to do so. (Either by elections at the end of his current term, or by mistake he could make later on down the line.) :/

Personally, I think Walker is being no better than a little kid who threatens to hold his breath until he gets his way. :<

The Democrats already said they'd accept the rest of the bill as it stands if he'd give up on that clause which abolishes collective bargaining and raises the burden of benefits on the employee side. I honestly think that a large portion of the state's deficit would be slain even with that modification to the bill itself. Seriously these Republicans need to GROW UP. :<

Years
More and more I'm seeing this as an attack on the Democratic Party base. But then again that's just me. :/

Also yeah Recall wars are on:

Breaking: Wisconsin Dems throw their weight behind drive to recall GOP Senators

The Wisconsin Democratic Party has decided to throw its weight behind a nascent grassroots drive to recall a number of GOP state senators, a move that will considerably increase the pressure on them to break with Governor Scott Walker, the Dem party chair confirms to me.
"The proposals and the policies that Republicans are pushing right now are not what they campaigned on, and they're extreme," the party chair, Mike Tate, said in an interview. "Something needs to be done about it now. We're happy to stand with citizens who are filling papers to recall these senators."
Previously, Wisconsin Dems had not publicly supported talk about recalling GOP Senators, in hopes of privately reaching a negotiated solution to the crisis. The Wisconsin Democratic Party's decision to support the recall drives represents a significant ratcheting up of hostilities and in essence signals that all bets are off.
Eight Republican Senators are eligible to be recalled right now, and various groups around Wisconsin are beginning to file papers to make it happen. Tate told me that the party would throw its organization behind such efforts
"We're an aggressive, on-the-ground group and we're going to be looking to aid these citizens in any way we can," he said.
Tate said he couldn't say whether such a recall drive would result in GOP Senators breaking with Walker, given their solidarity so far, but he vowed that a number of them would pay the price by losing their own jobs.
"There are Republican senators today that will lose their seats in a recall election in the next few months," he said "We're happy to assist."
Asked if Wisconsin Dems would drop their push to recall senators if they abandoned the drive to roll back public employee bargaining rights. Tate said he couldn't guarantee that, arguing that Walker's proposed budget cuts yesterday took this fight to a whole new level.
"In the past 24 hours, this has gotten so much larger than the rights of our public employees," he said. "This is much larger now than it was a week ago."
UPDATE, 3:08 p.m.: Ian Millhiser has some detail on the slim vote margin some of these Republicans won office with, and on how a recall would work.
And Sam Stein notes that Wisconsin Dems are already raising money to support the recall effort.
UPDATE, 3:43 p.m.: The SEIU is now soliciting support for the recall drives, suggesting labor may join the push to collect the required signatures necessary to make them happen.
UPDATE, 4:19 p.m.: We now have a total of four national polls all showing solid support for public employees.

Last edited:
Years
I apologize for double posting. But to EMPHASIZE that this entire thing IS NOT ABOUT THE DARN BUDGET, and is merely an ideological partisan game:
Wisconsin: Republicans pass public-sector union curbs

_51606839_011489122-1.jpg

Protesters took over the Wisconsin state capitol in Madison after the vote

Republicans in the Wisconsin state senate have approved a plan to strip public-sector unions of most of their collective bargaining rights.
The US state's 14 Democratic senators had sought to prevent the move by fleeing the state, leaving the chamber short of the number needed for a vote.
But Republicans used a procedural move to allow them to vote on the measure in committee instead.
Crowds of protesters swamped the state capitol in Madison following the vote.
"The whole world is watching," they shouted as police guarded the entrance to the senate chamber.
In the senate gallery, spectators shouted "you are cowards" as voting took place.
The plan has prompted weeks of protests in support of public workers.
The Republican-controlled state assembly is due to take up the legislation on Thursday morning, after which it would go to Republican Governor Scott Walker for signature.
Mr Walker argues the move is needed to help tackle a $3.6bn budget gap over the next two years.
But critics say it is intended to weaken the power of the unions, which tend to back the Democrats in elections.

Yeah, SPLITTING IT from the budget bill AND STILL insisting that it's about fiscal reasons...Ugh I want to. >.>

Back