• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Want to collect entire original deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Hi all,

I am determined to collect the entire first series of cards that came out in 1999. And eventually will move on to the first rocket series which came out after that. But I am not looking to learn the current age pokemon it's just to collect history and not look closer.

I just started off where it all began and bought a sealed starter deck (with holo Machamp) on ebay for $26 from the US (delivered) so pretty happy with that considering that was around the original price for them in stores so I am hoping it's legit and I get it in due time but the guy is 100% satisfaction on his record

But basically looking for anymore ideas on where to purchase?. I prefer new condition but i am resigned to the fact that may be near impossible to this day and age but obviously prefer the holographic kind.

I do see cards on ebay like Individual Holo's at various prices but I'd prefer to play Roulette with it and look for other starter decks or unopened Booster packs to make it an even more fun journey (but again that may be a pipedream.

I'd rather not buy damaged cards but if there is no alternate option then I will.

Is there anyone on here who has the full set of the originals? Just out of curiosity.

There is some lunatic selling his original charizard for $895.00?, It would have to be in entirely mint condition for that and even still is he still deluded?.

Anyway does anyone have any Idea's?.

Years
  • Most boosters older than 8 years old are going to be worth more unopened than most individual cards will be. This is because, at most, only the 4 most recent sets get printed, and all of the earliest sets haven't been in stock in most stores for about 9 years or so.

And that's probably an inflated price PSA graded Charizard you saw online... unless that's equal to about $500 USD.

Also, keep in mind that there is to be no trading or selling conducted over this site. It's not permitted in the site's rules and that is because it could cause a big, hairy legal mess for the site.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Most boosters older than 8 years old are going to be worth more unopened than most individual cards will be. This is because, at most, only the 4 most recent sets get printed, and all of the earliest sets haven't been in stock in most stores for about 9 years or so.

And that's probably an inflated price PSA graded Charizard you saw online... unless that's equal to about $500 USD.

Also, keep in mind that there is to be no trading or selling conducted over this site. It's not permitted in the site's rules and that is because it could cause a big, hairy legal mess for the site.

Yeah I realise that, I want to collect them as new but i am not spending 120 bucks for an unopened pack containing 11 pieces of cardboard like someone is asking on ebay, I am keen to collect them all but that is ridiculous.

$26 for the original starter deck is crazy considering the rarity of the unopened deck. Am stoked with that and just hoping it's all legit but the bloke is a power seller so it seems genuine.

I wasn't looking to buy or sell on here, It's just asking for advice as to where to buy whether there is a website or any tricks or tips to it to make it a cheaper craze?.

I bought some of the newer cards but I am literally clueless of any pokemon past the year 2000 so there would be thousands i'd need to learn and my time on this planet just doesn't simply candidate for that consumption of hassle. (I have a job amongst other things). It's just a side hobby atm.

Thanks heaps for your feedback :).

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2015
    I think the number of pokemon is 692, not thousands, but I get your point :P
    Unopened packs are not good to go after for two reasons. One, like donavannj said, they are very valuable these days and go for way more than the actual opened contents themselves. Second, the rarity distribution was not great in base set packs, meaning you are not guaranteed to get any good cards in an expensive pack and you may need to go through many of them to get even one holo.
    It may be most cost efficient to get the set as a whole. You can search for complete base sets on ebay every day until one comes up at a reasonable price, and if you are patient you will find one. Or, you can get them individually if you are super patient and want to wait for a good deal on each single card. You only need to shop around for the holos, however, because the rest are not particularly in demand and can be bought together for cheap.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    I think the number of pokemon is 692, not thousands, but I get your point :P
    Unopened packs are not good to go after for two reasons. One, like donavannj said, they are very valuable these days and go for way more than the actual opened contents themselves. Second, the rarity distribution was not great in base set packs, meaning you are not guaranteed to get any good cards in an expensive pack and you may need to go through many of them to get even one holo.
    It may be most cost efficient to get the set as a whole. You can search for complete base sets on ebay every day until one comes up at a reasonable price, and if you are patient you will find one. Or, you can get them individually if you are super patient and want to wait for a good deal on each single card. You only need to shop around for the holos, however, because the rest are not particularly in demand and can be bought together for cheap.

Thanks man, Yeah I certainly wouldn't buy the booster packs especially at 50 bucks a pop.

It will take a while to get the whole set so patience will def have to be a virtue but time consuming and money.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    It's gonna be stuff but you'll succeed. First full Set Mint I've had for 12 years now and I'm glad I collected them when I was young because people are asking a lot for them now. I can't lie I'd probably ask a lot too because how much they're worth to me.

Good luck on it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Someone's offering the whole set for $165.00 including postage to Australia. For 102 cards it's probably reasonable?

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2012
    I had sold my near mint Charizard for just £15.50, I see people with near mint graded Charizard's that sell for upto £1,000? A friend of mine also sold his near mint Charizard for £18.00, your best bet is to bid on auction only items, I also have a ton of mint and new original base set cards if your interested PM me.

Years
  • I had sold my near mint Charizard for just £15.50, I see people with near mint graded Charizard's that sell for upto £1,000? A friend of mine also sold his near mint Charizard for £18.00, your best bet is to bid on auction only items, I also have a ton of mint and new original base set cards if your interested PM me.

If you are going to sell cards to another member please use some method other than one tied to this site to sell them, please and thank you. It ties into potentially hairy legal issues of liability.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2012
    If you are going to sell cards to another member please use some method other than one tied to this site to sell them, please and thank you. It ties into potentially hairy legal issues of liability.

I think you are misunderstanding what I have said, I am no way shape or form trying to sell on here, I am only trying to help other members who are trying to fill their collections.

Years
  • I think you are misunderstanding what I have said, I am no way shape or form trying to sell on here, I am only trying to help other members who are trying to fill their collections.

I am not. Trading and selling are both forbidden by the rules here, and the way you worded your post implies that you're selling them. I and several other staff members are also uncomfortable with members giving out personal information to send stuff to each other via the forum, be it PM or otherwise.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    Just an update i bought the fossil lockdown, blackout and overgrowth decks so far. although the blackout deck is second hand (all 60 cards in tact) but i paid something like 12.54 AU.

The other two i paid 27.91 for the overgrowth deck (NEW) and the Lockdown also new i paid $21.72 AU.

Some of the other first series starter decks are wanting 40+ dollars including the shipping so I don't mind waiting to see any cheaper options come up!.

Still waiting on the starter deck i ordered around two weeks ago from the US and also a single Blastoise holo card.

Also bought 6 booster packs for $71 dollars (expensive i know) but It would be a masterstroke if i got some gun holo cards.

Also bought 5 fossil boosters for 36 dollars. So it was a good raid today :).

Last edited:

IdsMow

LongTime Master
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    Try buying bulk old collections, some are in really good codition on ebay where people feel they have out grown them and basicly want to get rid of them but with ebays function allowing indivual acards to be listed earer more and more people are pricing cards induivualy. Like your style, I have a full set but now ging for the full numbered set (eg bace, fossal, junle), there not as nicly odered in my mind as simpaly balbasaw, ivasaw ecatra but still a worthy challane :)

Prons

Boogiepop Penguin
    Years
  • If you live in a place near flea markets (car boot sales if you live in the UK), you might be able to find some interesting pokemon stuff.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Ebay is all powerful. I bought the entire base set for $70 a few weeks ago, don't ask me why he was selling it for such a low price. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Look on local flea markets. You may find some cards there, or in local shops ;)

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    I've spent a fair bit already but it's a hobby so i am not really overly worried on $ value.

So far I've got Machamp, Lapras, Nidoking, Charizard, Blastoise & Gyarados holo's albeit all of them apart from Nidoking came in theme decks and I bought Charizard and Blastoise seperately.

But I love the element of suprise in buying booster packs, It may not be the cheapest way of doing it and i am just lapping up being a kid again and finally collecting the whole set!.

I think it would be kind of boring just buying the whole set as a whole and I realise it would be the cheapest and most efficient way possible and maybe i am completely crazy but money is one thing i am not overly worried about atm. Happy to spend it on Pokemon <3

IdsMow

LongTime Master
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 4, 2012
    I personaly like finding really nice condition ones so I am picky on ebay, one thing with regard to that is that it is very common for people who are ether not very alert or chose to over look it, trying to pass off fake cards as real ones and I have found a few rediculous ones in my time so its always worth seeing if tey listed it as "genuin" cards or asking them in a question "are they genin" so you have it in writing latter if they send fakes to get your money back.

Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2016
    I personaly like finding really nice condition ones so I am picky on ebay, one thing with regard to that is that it is very common for people who are ether not very alert or chose to over look it, trying to pass off fake cards as real ones and I have found a few rediculous ones in my time so its always worth seeing if tey listed it as "genuin" cards or asking them in a question "are they genin" so you have it in writing latter if they send fakes to get your money back.

I generally buy brand new packs being booster packs or theme decks. The only individual cards I have bought have been Charizard & Blastoise. I bought 2 complete second hand theme decks but i paid little to nothing for them.

A 1st edition Fossil booster box is on it's way. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back