• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Wardrobe/Customization & Hair Options Discussion

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    To be honest, customization was just a plus. I'm more happy about move tutors returning.
    This is just like when people got all upset over the pokemon never following you anymore like in HG/SS. It was a nice bonus but nothing that will ruin the game for me.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    The way that's worded makes it sound like customization wont be returning not just for OR/AS, but for every non-Kalos game. Hopefully that's not the case, but I wouldn't be surprised either way because it's GameFreak.

I feel like he's saying that simply to defend the lack of it in the remakes, covering his bases. I don't think that's necessarily damning customization for future games. They'll most likely add it back in the next games/generation.

Maybe that's just my hopes though. It just kinda feels right to me. This isn't really like the Pokemon-Follow situation. This is something a bit more than that, as it deals directly with your Pokemon/Trainer persona. I just feel like they wouldn't permanently remove such an idea, one that truly makes you unique in a sea of other players.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    It was fine to not have customisation when we had 2D sprites, but now that we have 3D model it's kind of stupid to just remove it. The only difference will be the contest costumes that pretty much everyone will wear anyway so it will not change that much the battling of clones. So instead of the customisation we get the fly feature that will mostly get removed in the next game.

Since people are more connected worldwide just the idea of fighting clones of yourself is not really that appealing. I'm sure just because of that reason lot of players will cancel their pre-order and not even bother buying the game.

Years
  • It was fine to not have customisation when we had 2D sprites, but now that we have 3D model it's kind of stupid to just remove it. The only difference will be the contest costumes that pretty much everyone will wear anyway so it will not change that much the battling of clones. So instead of the customisation we get the fly feature that will mostly get removed in the next game.

Since people are more connected worldwide just the idea of fighting clones of yourself is not really that appealing. I'm sure just because of that reason lot of players will cancel their pre-order and not even bother buying the game.

You know, I actually saw someone on Tumblr mention they wanted to cancel their pre-order solely due to the announcement of a lack of customization, but me being one who looks deep I knew customization was going to be removed ever since I came across a post on Tumblr (from the user choice-scarfed-umbreon) which showed a screencap of a multiplayer battle where the female player was using a Pokemon Ranger as her PSS icon but the 3D model shown was just May herself.

It was that little bit of footage from the Mega Rayquaza reveal that all but confirmed it. It's now essentially the "Follow me removal 2.0" with this latest Masuda interview leak.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    Ugh! I really loved the customization feature :( won't stop me from buying this though. However, I really hope GF isn't trying to imply it is a kalos exclusive. That would be absurd.

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • I think each game needs a little something different from the rest otherwise the games could get stale, and run out of ideas. Besides I thought the Remake was to make it as close as possible to the original? right?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I didn't expect customization to appear in this game since Brendan and May are iconic and the XY PCs weren't since they represents us rather than us being placed in a defined role.

I'm personally happy its not back. I doubt this not being there will force people to cancel their subscriptions. If they did then they were getting the game for all the wrong reasons.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I think each game needs a little something different from the rest otherwise the games could get stale, and run out of ideas.
    I do agree that each game/region needs something to make them unique, but removing good features that people had been asking for for years is not the way to do it. You make a region special through the region itself, not through game features that could work in any generation.

Besides I thought the Remake was to make it as close as possible to the original? right?
    If you wanna be extremely literal with the word "remake". I like to think that a remake should basically be an improvement of the original; that the original is a base and you build on that.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I didn't expect customization to appear in this game since Brendan and May are iconic and the XY PCs weren't since they represents us rather than us being placed in a defined role.

I'm personally happy its not back. I doubt this not being there will force people to cancel their subscriptions. If they did then they were getting the game for all the wrong reasons.

Totally agree with that. This is all the more reason why I think we'll see it return in future games. Previous characters are already established (for the most part.) Changing their styles may result in losing what defines them (although, come on now... some customization would still be awesome.) We were given a somewhat loose appearance for our X&Y characters, but with them being completely new and mostly restriction-free, the idea of customizing becomes a bit more reasonable and okay.

It's still a shame, but if you look at it this way, it's a bit more understandable why we don't have it in the remakes... to me, at least.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Totally agree with that. This is all the more reason why I think we'll see it return in future games. Previous characters are already established (for the most part.) Changing their styles may result in losing what defines them (although, come on now... some customization would still be awesome.) We were given a somewhat loose appearance for our X&Y characters, but with them being completely new and mostly restriction-free, the idea of customizing becomes a bit more reasonable and okay.

It's still a shame, but if you look at it this way, it's a bit more understandable why we don't have it in the remakes... to me, at least.

At least we get to get the rocker and pop idol costumes for contests. We didn't get to dress up in the originals, only for Super Contests in D/P/Pt.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    At least we get to get the rocker and pop idol costumes for contests. We didn't get to dress up in the originals, only for Super Contests in D/P/Pt.

That won't do much for me in terms of customization lol, but it's definitely cool and nice for those who plan on doing contests. I never played any of the third gen games. That was the generation I skipped completely and decided to "grow up." So anything to do with this game will most likely be fresh and a brand new experience. Still excited, even with the lack of customization.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am pretty sure customization will return in the next generation just not in the remakes. It is too popular not to return in new gens.

ShadowEdge

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • I do agree that each game/region needs something to make them unique, but removing good features that people had been asking for for years is not the way to do it. You make a region special through the region itself, not through game features that could work in any generation.

If you wanna be extremely literal with the word "remake". I like to think that a remake should basically be an improvement of the original; that the original is a base and you build on that.

Look I'm on your side I want to be able to customize the trainers and I am sorry :(

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I am pretty sure customization will return in the next generation just not in the remakes. It is too popular not to return in new gens.
    People said the same thing about the Following feature of Gen IV (it existed in DPP too, but was restricted to Amity park) leading up to Gen V's release...
    It hopefully will return. Besides we still have the third version/sequels to go, unless they break tradition further and move on to Gen VII on the New 3DS possibly.

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    A good compromise for future games? Give us default trainers to use through the story, but let us customize an online avatar :D

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Yeah, I was pretty sure Character Customisation wasn't returning. What would be the point of changing the appearance of the two main protagonists of the games that have been remade from 10 years ago?

Back